View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 JP: Why Ryan Tannehill is the future 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post JP: Why Ryan Tannehill is the future
Why Ryan Tannehill is the future
by JP

It's been 13 years since Dan Marino last strapped up for Miami. And in honor of the great number 13, I've picked out 13 plays from last week's game against Arizona that prove Tannehill is the real deal.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Play #1 - This is something that we saw so often in this game (and you'll see it again on other plays in the video), but something we hadn't seen on a consistent basis previously. Ryan's pocket awareness, mobility and comfort level under pressure was sensational all day, and this play demonstrates it. It only takes a small step up to avoid the pressure; Ryan does this and never takes his eyes off of down the field. How many times did we see Chad Henne do this in his entire career in Miami? About zero, in case you don't remember.

Play #2 - This move was subtle from Tannehill, but keep an eye on how he notices the passing lane was clogged up by the D-line, holds the ball for the extra half second, and then changes his throwing motion to a radical over-the-top release in order to get it over the line. Despite this the ball is still perfectly thrown to Bess, who picks up a first down. Again, it's not only the ability to throw from different angles accurately, but to be comfortable and poised enough to make this play is rare for a young QB. These are the types of things that made Andrew Luck the best QB prospect in the last 15 years.

Play #3 - Similar play here. The passing lane closes, so Tannehill mid-release decides to hold the ball until Bess clears the defender who is in the passing lane. The throw wasn't as accurate as you'd like, but it's the awareness and poise that Tannehill has to pull this off that I'm looking for on this play.

Play #4 - Again, Tannehill senses pressure and without taking his eyes off his receiver steps up in the pocket. Tannehill then resets his feet and makes a beautiful rainbow to Hartline. Not only is the touch and accuracy clearly visible on the throw, but it's the improvement from the previous week. One thing you always want to see out of young QB's is the ability to improve on weaknesses from week to week; against the Jets Ryan's accuracy down the field was inconsistent. In this game, Tannehill was money throwing deep.

Play #5 - You can have all the mental and physical tools to be successful, but if you don't have the toughness to stand strong in the pocket and step into hits in order to make an accurate throw, you're not going to succeed at this level. Tannehill gets nailed by two different defensive lineman on this play, and yet he makes the throw as if he has a clean pocket. His feet are set, he follows through and the ball is accurate. Great play by Tannehill, and this was a common theme throughout the day.

Play #6 - Again, Tannehill steps into the throw with pressure (and a big hit from two Cardinals looming) right in his face. On this play you'll also see something extremely significant: Tannehill creates a throwing lane for himself. Again, these aren't things that you usually see consistently from a rookie QB. The pocket awareness, toughness and the ability to make an accurate throw across his body was all extremely impressive on this play.

Play #7 - Again, sensational pocket mobility from Tannehill. He sees the pressure, avoids it with a smooth move up and keeps his eyes down field. Once Tannehill was outside the pocket, especially on 3rd down and short, most young QB's will tuck it and run. Instead, Tannehill is looking at Hartline down the field all day and despite him being covered tightly by a great corner in Patrick Peterson, Tannehill is able to throw Hartline open along the sideline and complete a big play on 3rd down. Tremendous play by the rookie QB.

Play #8 - This will go down as an incompletion, but had Hartline not stopped running for a split second (also drawing the pass interference), the throw would have been perfect. Tannehill gets out of pressure and AGAIN keeps his eyes down the field, making an accurate through down the field.

Play #9 - On this play you get to see not only, again, the pocket presence and mobility of Tannehill, but the size and strength he has. Despite a defender dragging him down by his feet, he's still able to keep his balance and throw off of one foot down the field. Not only is the talent elite, but you get to see the aggressiveness and confidence that Tannehill has. Most young QB's would try and run or throw it away. Not Tannehill; he's not sacrificing the play until he absolutely has to.

Play #10 - This is my favorite play. The play call is clearly a stretch to the left; the entire offensive line, Javorskie Lane and Reggie Bush think so at least. All Ryan does on this play is wink at Hartline and the two know what to do. I love this play for so many reasons: Number 1, Tannehill and Hartline are clearly putting in extra work over the course of the week to pull this off. 2) How many young QB's have the confidence, poise and smarts to do this? It's one thing to change the play call at the line of scrimmage, but it's another to do what Tannehill does on this play. Tremendous, veteran-like play from Tannehill.

Play #11 - This is a great last-second adjustment from Tannehill at the line. He recognizes the blitz late, gets to the line to change the protection and then makes a nice throw right into the blitz to pick up a big 3rd down conversion. Tannehill is so comfortable in this offense and in what he's doing that you forget he's a rookie sometimes; he doesn't seem to miss anything.

Play #12 - Yes the accuracy is tremendous on the throw; yes the step up away from pressure AGAIN was tremendous...but how about the play action? That was one of the better play action fakes I have seen from a Dolphins QB in recent memory. Especially with the way this team wants to commit to the run game, a strong play action fake is pivotal.

Play #13 - This was simple and subtle, but again displays a couple of key things. 1) the ability to throw from different angles. Tannehill, because of the two defenders in front of him, is forced to throw this with a radical over-the-top delivery. Doesn't matter; the throw is still perfect. 2) The overall poise he does it with. Tannehill doesn't panic because there are defenders who disrupted the play, he calmly makes the correct adjustment and completes the pass for the critical 2 point conversion anyway.

While this game doesn't prove anything, these plays all demonstrate everything we could hope to see out of a rookie QB. If he continues his upward ascent, he may be a lot better a lot sooner than we all though a few weeks ago.

Here's to another great game in Cincinnati!

http://www.phinfever.com/newsite/index. ... 1&Itemid=1

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:18 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: JP: Why Ryan Tannehill is the future
Excellent job, Phins Rock. Thanks for all the hard work you put into your blog.

I'd have to say that Sunday's performance by Tannehill was the best job by a quarterback since probably Fielder's Thanksgiving Day massacre of the Cowboys. The only thing I'd like to see is for him to find the end zone more, but that will come.

One thing we should always keep in mind is that he is a rookie. He will have a lot of ups and down s this year.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

:awe:

Thats one of the best put together blogs I have seen.
Excellent job, thank you for the effort.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Very nice write up! This is the first time in many years that I feel like Miami has a QB that could be around for the next ten years. Tannehill certainly has impressed me so far and what is really encouraging is that he seems to be improving each week.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:24 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Wow, awesome JP.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:53 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You actually got me fired up for SUnday...lol

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

:goodjob: :yay:

Well done! Thanks for the time you spent putting this together!

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:09 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Build a team around this kid and in a couple of years we're going to be contenders.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:16 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

He looks freakin awesome. When he starts getting comfortable enough to make multiple reads on one play... we'll be golden. Right now you can clearly tell the plays are setup to go to a specific receiver... and yes, he locks on... but he's a rookie.

It will come with time, and our glory will be restored~!

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:03 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Think about the respect he must have gotten from his team mates from the way he played as a rookie, Sunday.

The losing part must have really stung but that had to have been a fun game to play in.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:19 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Quote:
Play #12 - Yes the accuracy is tremendous on the throw; yes the step up away from pressure AGAIN was tremendous...but how about the play action? That was one of the better play action fakes I have seen from a Dolphins QB in recent memory. Especially with the way this team wants to commit to the run game, a strong play action fake is pivotal.

To me, it is the best playaction I've see from any QB (not just a Dolphin one) in a long time.

Nice video..... :awe:

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:38 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

The Hen wrote:
Quote:

To me, it is the best playaction I've see from any QB (not just a Dolphin one) in a long time.

Completely committed to it. So often QB's will just go through the motion now...Tannehill put a lot into trying to sell it. Great PA fake.

Thanks guys.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Very nice write up! This is the first time in many years that I feel like Miami has a QB that could be around for the next ten years. Tannehill certainly has impressed me so far and what is really encouraging is that he seems to be improving each week.

This is exactly how I feel too. A 1-3 record is not what I have been focusing on this year. It is more about how quickly Tannehill is maturing into an NFL caliber QB. I'll admit he is young and has a ways to go. But he has a lot of the tools that you need to really excel in the NFL. The big arm, confidence under pressure, assuming a leadership role for the offense and the ability to slide around in the pocket and buy time. He is already calling audibles and blocking scheme changes at the line of scrimmage. He can make all the throws. This season won't be a playoff year, but we are watching this kid develop quickly into a legit NFL QB. I am excited about the Dolphins next 10 years too. And that is a feeling I haven't had for a long time. I cannot define "it" but this kid has "it".

Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:48 am

Phins Rock wrote:
The Hen wrote:
Quote:

Completely committed to it. So often QB's will just go through the motion now...Tannehill put a lot into trying to sell it. Great PA fake.

Thanks guys.

What's amazing is he learned that from Gruden I think, right? He was on one of those football QB shows and I remember watching the coach running it working with him specifically on hiding the play action better.

Hell its working!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:28 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Yes he did but it was Steve Mariuchi who really worked with him on selling the play action!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]