View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Promising Article by Hyde 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Promising Article by Hyde
Good to hear some promising words from Hyde

Five thoughts on the Dolphins a quarter of the way through the season:

1. They have a quarterback talent. Now they have to make him a quarterback. I don’t care if Ryan Tannehill’s quarterback rating is second-worst only to Brandon Weeden (if you want better news, ESPN’s quarterback rating puts him 21st in the league, just after Drew Brees). Tannehill looks like a quarterback, acts like a quarterback, thinks like a quarterback and throws like a quarterback. He’s not winning winnable games right now. That’s part of the process. But he made some throws against Arizona only elite quarterbacks make. And his 19 college starts become a positive now – they show the upside he still has as he learns and experiences more. Bill Walsh used to say all he needed to see was a player make a great play to understand his upside. If he could do it once, Walsh said, the coaches could bring that out of him again and again. That’s why Tannehill’s game in Arizona meant so much. He had a game that showed what can be brought out of him again and again.

2. This coaching staff gives reason to hope. Forget the 1-3 record for the moment. Forget the quibbles of some in-game stuff. Let’s start with the offensive scheme. For the first time in forever, the Dolphins have a scheme that attacks downfield in an era built for teams to do that. Mike Sherman’s offense is a thing of beauty that, as the playmaking talent increases, will become more apparent. Second, Joe Philbin entered the job and immediately located the problems on the team like the cancer of Brandon Marshall and the flimsy work habits of Vontae Davis. My concern was so much talent going out the door. My question was why not coach up a talent like Davis rather than ship him out . That will be part of the issues of this season. It’s not going to be pretty at times this year. But you see the structure and thoughts in place to have some faith in where this is going.

3. This will be Jeff Ireland’s best draft class. That’s good and bad. Tannehill will make the class a success by himself considering his talent and position. But Jonathan Martin shows good signs he’ll be a starting NFL tackle for a decade. Lamar Miller should be a great fourth-round pick. All the way down to seventh-round pick Keeston Randall, there’s a chance for help. Now the bad news: The ’11 draft. It’s Mike Pouncey and nothing else, the way it’s playing out. Pouncey was a great center. But look at the others on the roster: Daniel Thomas, Charles Clay and Jimmy Wilson. All descending. And Clyde Gates already is gone.

4. This year is about more young players to build around so let’s see who’s being found: Brian Hartline, obviously. Koa Misi, maybe. Martin. Miller. Pouncey. You can go down the list to the developing Sean Smith, who played an (almost) great game in Arizona – and that’s important considering the investment decision this off-season. The draft class will play out this year. Add a good draft in the off-season and this isn’t a bad team anymore.

5. Here’s why Jabar Gaffney can help: The Dolphins have got zero out of their third receiver this year. Gaffney had a career-high 68 catches last year in Washington for a career-high 947 yards and a 13.9 yard average (second highest in career) and five touchdowns (ties career high). That makes everyone on the offense’s job easier moving forward.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Post Re: Promising Article by Hyde
Yeah I like the Gaffney signing...I just hope they don't rush him into combat too soon. He missed all of traning camp and it takes a while to get in football shape.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Promising Article by Hyde
NFLJunkie wrote:
Yeah I like the Gaffney signing...I just hope they don't rush him into combat too soon. He missed all of traning camp and it takes a while to get in football shape.

If he's healthy, and can play at the same level he did in Shanahan's system, then this is a great fit.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]