View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ] 
 Sherman rejects idea he blew play-call late vs. Arizona 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Sherman rejects idea he blew play-call late vs. Arizona
Quote:
Mike Sherman, like most football coaches, has certain convictions. As Don Shula used to say to me, 'you must have the courage of your convictions."
I get that.
But sometimes there's a disconnect between courage and wisdom.

The Dolphins led 21-14 with 5:14 to play. They had the football at their own 35 yard line.
On first down Reggie Bush rushed for 7 yards to the Miami 42 yard line. On second down, Bush gained 15 yards on an outside run to the Arizona 43 yard line with only 3:45 to play. First down.
Sherman called on Bush again and he gained two yards to the Arizona 41 yard line. There were now three minutes left in the game and the Dolphins faced a second-and-nine from the Arizona 41 yard line.
If Sherman gives the ball to Bush two more times, ...

Sherman didn't see this as the way to go.
He called a pass on second-and-nine. And the Cardinals blitzed and quarterback Ryan Tannehill not only was sacked and lost seven yards, he also fumbled the football.

"When you have a 10-point lead, that’s a little different than seven points or three points obviously.

Did we take some risks? I didn’t consider them risks necessarily, but we were going to try our best to the move the football against their defense and their defense was playing a lot of eight-man fronts, so we had to do some things there ...

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:56 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Sherman rejects idea he blew play-call late vs. Arizona
Quote:
Mike Sherman, like most football coaches, has certain convictions. As Don Shula used to say to me, 'you must have the courage of your convictions."

I'd hate to see Sherman and Shula in the same sentence. The Don was smart enough to know what his talent was and to adjust his offense and defense to take advantage of it. I believe The Don would have handed the ball off.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Truly this is one where you play the odds. You run the clock down another minute or so and then pin them deep with a punt. They barely had time to get it in from the 50. With that said, RT with time will recognize that situation and shift out of the I formation. You also have to give AZ credit with that perfectly called and timed blitz.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:43 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

still crying over spilled milk...

As I have said a million time, when the play calling works they are great, when they dont they stink. Names change, story doesnt.

Why do we only consider 2 plays, what about the other 20 that he only gained 1 or 2 yards, or how about the ones he was tackled for a loss..

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:10 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

10acjed wrote:
still crying over spilled milk...

As I have said a million time, when the play calling works they are great, when they dont they stink. Names change, story doesnt.

Why do we only consider 2 plays, what about the other 20 that he only gained 1 or 2 yards, or how about the ones he was tackled for a loss..

Spot on brother. All of these scenarios are great, but what happened, happened, and we take it with a grain of salt. Had he handed the ball off and had bush been tackled for loss, we would be asking for his head as well, and wondering why the dolphins never "go for it" and always "play not to loose". It's a moot point.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Well I dont know if the analogy works completely but it might be game specific conditions.

Like a runner on third, tied score, bottom of 9th, two outs, do I signal a good all around batter and good base runner to swing away or bunt?

It is not what has gone on before in this situation but what to do in this specific situation. Pedal to the metal, a 7 point lead is not enough, or slow and hopefully safe, punt let the defense stop them.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Can't have it both ways........Sparano would have shut the offense down with a 3 point lead. I like the play to win attitude. Need to recognize the blitz, check to a differnt play, make the block or get rid of the ball.........Freak Play.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:04 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I see what you're doing with the analogy, although I think it would be more applicable if it were top of the 9th. Haha

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Jazzy J 72 wrote:
I see what you're doing with the analogy, although I think it would be more applicable if it were top of the 9th. Haha

lol

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:12 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If it would have worked it would be considered a great move. How may times have we complained about conservative play calling late in the game? That was a regular complaint with Sparano.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:28 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

fonzy wrote:
If it would have worked it would be considered a great move. How may times have we complained about conservative play calling late in the game? That was a regular complaint with Sparano.

I don't necessarily have a problem with calling a pass in that situation. What I have a problem with is that it appears that against a blitz-happy team, we didn't have dump offs or hot reads late in the game. Tannehill was still being asked to throw passes down the field and outside of the hash marks late in the game in the face of heavy blitzes.

There HAS TO BE a hot read when a team is blitzing that much. I didn't see any.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If i remember right Zona still had 3 timeouts.....Time was not on our side yet.

I trust Sherman and his judgement...

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:56 am

Rich wrote:
fonzy wrote:

I don't necessarily have a problem with calling a pass in that situation. What I have a problem with is that it appears that against a blitz-happy team, we didn't have dump offs or hot reads late in the game. Tannehill was still being asked to throw passes down the field and outside of the hash marks late in the game in the face of heavy blitzes.

There HAS TO BE a hot read when a team is blitzing that much. I didn't see any.

On that play it was a 3 step drop...he was hit on the 3rd step. That guy cam untouched. Lane couldn't even shift two steps to make the block on time. I think altering his cadence late in the game would go al ong way into stopping that. Miami was lined up in the I formation. I think they were trying to make AZ think run.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:22 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I wish one day one of these guys would just let loose.

Look out in the crowd and say "Im and offensive coord in the NFL, you are a reporter, shut the ... up you are not even qualified to question my judgment"

lol

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:43 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sherman has been coaching for over 30 years. I think he is trying to do his best to make the right calls. None of us are qualified and it is always easiest to second guess things.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:07 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
On that play it was a 3 step drop...he was hit on the 3rd step.

It doesn't preclude them from having a hot read. When a team blitzes that heavy, they are going to leave gaps behind the blitz.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:10 pm

I think most people are very happy overall with the direction the offense is taking. This thread was focused on one call and yeah that's not fair but welcome to life in the NFL.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
On that play it was a 3 step drop...he was hit on the 3rd step.

It doesn't preclude them from having a hot read. When a team blitzes that heavy, they are going to leave gaps behind the blitz.

I'm not sure how a hot read would've prevented that last week. He didn't even get his feet set on a 3 step drop. It was meant to be a quick throw. The only thing that prevents that sack and fubmle is if Tannehill shifts out of the I and the back on the left recognized the blitz pick up. Otherwise, the guy jump the snap count and was there before the play could even start.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:35 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
I'm not sure how a hot read would've prevented that last week. He didn't even get his feet set on a 3 step drop.

Ever seen a screen pass?

Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:52 pm

The guy came untouched. At best RT would've been facing him so he might not have fumbled but it still would've been a sack. Go watch the play. It was a perfect call on defense. The guy jumped the snap count. RT had just planted his 3rd step on the drop when the guy punches the ball out of his hand. The only thing that changes that is to have the backs in a split backfield and have the closest guy chop the blitzer.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:35 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Sometimes you just have to credit the other team, they are top 5 in the league at takeaways. And one of the best overall defenses in the league.

Hopefully they learn from the mistakes and are able to move forward an correct them.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Yeap. I thought it was a great defensive call at exactly the right time.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The play call was fine, we were eating the Cardinals up through the air all day long. The problem was that Tannehill, the offensive line, and Lane didn't recognize the blitz and cover it. Had Tannehill moved Lane (his protection), it would have been prevented. Had Pouncey or Incognito recognized and talked to Tannehill about it, it would have been prevented. So this was simply a lack of execution/communication, I don't think the call was necessarily bad.

Sherman wanted to keep the ball in the hands of the offense, that's why he went with the aggressive play. Bottom line, if you have the ball, you don't want to run out the clock and trust your defense to win you the game. You want your offense to march the ball down and either score or run the clock out in a victory formation.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

“Three-step (drop), get the ball out,” Tannehill said.

But the Cardinals called another inside blitz, and the Dolphins weren’t prepared.

“We had a little miscommunication up front, we got to the line late and the guy made a good play,” Tannehill said of his fumble after he was hit.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... ns-/nSQRr/

Quote:
By BARRY JACKSON
The Miami Herald

Fullback Jorvorskie Lane took responsibility for not picking up the blitz on Daryl Washington's sack of Tannehill that forced a fumble with the Dolphins protecting a 21-14 fourth-quarter lead. Vonnie Holliday recovered, and Arizona went on to tie the game.
"Lane's blocking was a little sporadic at times," Philbin said.
On the overtime interception, Richie Incognito decided to help Mike Pouncey on Sam Acho, leaving Paris Lenon a clear path to Tannehill, who was hit by Lenon as he threw the interception to Kerry Rhodes.
"Our pass protection was not good enough," Philbin said. "We need to do a better job of recognizing (the blitz)."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/01/38 ... rylink=cpy

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

fonzy wrote:

This is how I feel too. I am excited to have an offensive coordinator who goes for the win instead of playing it safe.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
"Our pass protection was not good enough," Philbin said. "We need to do a better job of recognizing (the blitz)."

Philbin hit the nail on the head, the Cardinals were blitzing all day long, that was a situation where we needed to recognize that blitz and pick it up. When the offensive line gave Tannehill time, he was tearing it up. We need to do a better job keeping Tannehill upright. Four sacks isn't going to cut it. Two of those sacks directly led to turnovers. If we protect Tannehill better, perhaps those turnovers don't happen, and perhaps we win that game.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:00 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The stats that Sherman has in front of him ...

Quote:
Perhaps it was a mistake to have a rookie QB drop back 45 times, but with a running game that, outside of a 21-yard run by Reggie Bush, averaged just 2.3 yards a carry, passing certainly seemed like the better option.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ls-week-4/

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:06 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Big Dave wrote:
The stats that Sherman has in front of him ...

Quote:
Perhaps it was a mistake to have a rookie QB drop back 45 times, but with a running game that, outside of a 21-yard run by Reggie Bush, averaged just 2.3 yards a carry, passing certainly seemed like the better option.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ls-week-4/

Im no expert, but seemed to me like Sherman had an answer for AZ's defensive game plan.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This is just fence jumping 101 because of the fumble. Had Miami played it safe & ran the ball three times & punted, only to lose because the Cards drove the field & won it. Then they would be saying Miami should have passed & went for the kill.

I hate that fans/media fence jump depending on the results.

I believe the Cards still had all their TOs. With 3 minutes to go & 2nd & 8, then Miami was in no position to sit on it.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:34 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Yep, if Carp. made the field goal in the Jets and Cards game, it would be a moot point. We would be 3-1.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
I'm not sure how a hot read would've prevented that last week. He didn't even get his feet set on a 3 step drop.

Ever seen a screen pass?

The Dolphins just did exactly what I was talking about against an all out blitz by the Bengals and if not for a bad spot, the Dolphin would have gotten a 1st down..

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 am

Rich wrote:
Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Ever seen a screen pass?

The Dolphins just did exactly what I was talking about against an all out blitz by the Bengals and if not for a bad spot, the Dolphin would have gotten a 1st down..

I didn't see the game was RT under center, I formation? Did a defender come untouched right up the middle and did RT get more than 3 steps?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:41 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
I didn't see the game was RT under center, I formation? Did a defender come untouched right up the middle and did RT get more than 3 steps?

It was virtually the same scenario as the fumble, except in this case Tannehill had a safety valve whereas last week he was trying to complete a comeback to Hartline and didn't have a safety valve.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]