View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hyde5: Tannehill is the real deal at QB 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Hyde5: Tannehill is the real deal at QB
Quote:
Dave Hyde

8:41 a.m. EDT, October 3, 2012

1. They have a quarterback talent. Now they have to make him a quarterback. I don’t care if Ryan Tannehill’s quarterback rating is second-worst only to Brandon Weeden (if you want better news, ESPN’s quarterback rating puts him 21st in the league, just after Drew Brees). Tannehill looks like a quarterback, acts like a quarterback, thinks like a quarterback and throws like a quarterback. He’s not winning winnable games right now. That’s part of the process. But he made some throws against Arizona only elite quarterbacks make. And his 19 college starts become a positive now – ...

the Dolphins have a scheme that attacks downfield in an era built for teams to do that ...

immediately located the problems on the team like the cancer of Brandon Marshall and the flimsy work habits of Vontae Davis. My concern was so much talent going out the door. My question was why not coach up a talent like Davis rather than ship him out . ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:47 am
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Post Re: Hyde5: Tannehill is the real deal at QB
Quote:
Tannehill looks like a quarterback, acts like a quarterback, thinks like a quarterback and throws like a quarterback. He’s not winning winnable games right now. That’s part of the process. But he made some throws against Arizona only elite quarterbacks make.

Even though I wasn't on board starting a rookie QB this season, I have to agree with the above statement. He is still making those youthful mistakes but you can certainly see the future built into the kid. I honestly can't remember a game where so many WRs were hit in stride. Anyway, this is another dead horse...just hope they don't revert to putting the training wheels back on. Let him grip it and rip it.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
the Dolphins have a scheme that attacks downfield in an era built for teams to do that ...

I liked this part also. I hope it continues.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:
Tannehill looks like a quarterback, acts like a quarterback, thinks like a quarterback and throws like a quarterback. He’s not winning winnable games right now. That’s part of the process. But he made some throws against Arizona only elite quarterbacks make.

Even though I wasn't on board starting a rookie QB this season, I have to agree with the above statement. He is still making those youthful mistakes but you can certainly see the future built into the kid. I honestly can't remember a game where so many WRs were hit in stride. Anyway, this is another dead horse...just hope they don't revert to putting the training wheels back on. Let him grip it and rip it.

I agree, the rookie season is the best chance to let the kid take his licks. You can't coddle these guys like we did with Henne. You need to put the kid in and see how he handles himself, that includes trusting the kid to make plays with his arm. It would be very easy for us to sit back and run the ball 40 times with our line and backs, but that's not what's best for the future.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

He has shown he was ready to start and its not hype. Hard to argue that.

Forget the mistakes, watch his next drive, there is no hesitation, even on the same routes.

All QB's throw picks.. You just hope the numbers go down as they learn...

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
He has shown he was ready to start and its not hype. Hard to argue that.

Forget the mistakes, watch his next drive, there is no hesitation, even on the same routes.

All QB's throw picks.. You just hope the numbers go down as they learn...

Very true. Also, it's not just the interceptions, but the way the interceptions come. Tannehill's six interceptions have been very different than you would expect. Two of them were flat out rookie mistakes, especially the one against the Jets. But the two batted passes he had in week one, that seems to have been fixed. The one where Hartline fell down, there isn't anything to fix there. The one where he got blown up from behind while he threw, there isn't anything ot fix there either.

What you don't want to see is Tannehill making stupid throws down the field into double and triple coverage. Tannehill is pretty good about that, when he goes downfield it is almost always into single coverage. When he does throw into double coverage, it's at close range where his arm can put the ball into that tight window. There was a shining example of that in the Arizona game where he squeezed the ball between three defenders about seven or eight yards down the field. The Cardinals defenders tried to close on the ball but it was there before they even got their first step. Some guys know when and when not to throw the ball into tight coverage, Tannehill seems to get it.

Guys like Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Michael Vick, they don't get it. That's why they're not elite. Those guys will always throw bad interceptions because they're gunslingers that throw the ball up no matter how many defenders there are. They'd rather create a jump ball scenario than throw the ball away. If you watch the elite quarterbacks like Tom Brady, Eli Manning, etc., they know when to throw it away and live to play another down. Tannehill so far seems to be that kind of guy. He makes bad throws, but he doesn't make a whole lot of them.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]