View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Our biggest need....is a new GM!!!!! 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Our biggest need....is a new GM!!!!!
Please don't blame this loss on Tanehill

Why not? He threw 2 picks and fumbled.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
Please don't blame this loss on Tanehill...........he played very well. Sometimes "chance" and the other team's play deserve consideration

Not blaming anyone. You win/lose as a team. If Miami stops Fitz from catching the TD pass then they win. There are plays out there all game long that could/would change the out come of a game.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:04 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:
Yes, but it is still an irrefutable fact that if Carpenter makes his kicks we're 3-1.

Its also irrefutable fact that if Miami does not turn the ball over they are also 3-1.

The game plan probably changes a little bit if Carpenter hits the 51 yarder. Now you're up 16-7 instead of 13-7. I believe two of the turnovers wound up not hurting us.

On a team that has so many young players learning how to play on offense, your $2 million kicker needs to be a bedrock.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:06 pm

Makchell wrote:

One pick Hartline fell while trying to come back. The ball was already in the air. The other pick and the fumble were caused by crappy blitz pick ups.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:07 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The game plan probably changes a little bit if Carpenter hits the 51 yarder. Now you're up 16-7 instead of 13-7. I believe two of the turnovers wound up not hurting us.

Great point.

On a team that has so many young players learning how to play on offense, your $2 million kicker needs to be a bedrock.

I agree. Again, the Pats won SBs with a kicker, you need a clutch kicker and Carp WAS. Now he's not.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:08 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:
Yes, but it is still an irrefutable fact that if Carpenter makes his kicks we're 3-1.

Its also irrefutable fact that if Miami does not turn the ball over they are also 3-1.

Plus, Arizona took advantage of the field position to score that first TD. If Miami is up 16-0, Arizona might not have even scored until it was too late.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

Your expectations and my expectations.......seem to be a bit different. I did not expect Tannehil to play like Rodgers his first year............and I'm not sure how you blame him for that fumble.

As a Dolphins' Fan......I am excited about what I will see in the years going forward.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:09 pm

1984phins wrote:
Plus, Arizona took advantage of the field position to score that first TD. If Miami is up 16-0, Arizona might not have even scored until it was too late.

I didn't think of that. If he makes the field goal the score is 16-0.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

One pick Hartline fell while trying to come back. The ball was already in the air. The other pick and the fumble were caused by crappy blitz pick ups.

I didn't get to watch the game and wondered what happened when I read it on gamecast, but doesn't Hartline have a history of this? It sounds like he had beyond a monster day but I can recall a few times in the past where he slipped and the result was an interception.

Some of you guys are making me feel better about Tannehill's day. So much is tied to this guy being the answer and its tough to read about him throwing picks at crucial times. Doesn't sound like they were simply terrible throws or he was making bonehead plays.

Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

As a Dolphins' Fan......I am excited about what I will see in the years going forward.

For sure, but mark my words. If Tanny doesn't stop tuning the ball over, he will not be a starting NFL QB.

2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

For sure, but mark my words. If Tanny doesn't stop tuning the ball over, he will not be a starting NFL QB.

His interceptions came against 3 top defenses. Not trying to make excuses but its not like he's played against crap competition.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:15 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

His interceptions came against 3 top defenses. Not trying to make excuses but its not like he's played against crap competition.

I'll also mention that Tanny IS a rookie. He looks good, don't get me wrong, but it is what it is as of right now.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

I'll also mention that Tanny IS a rookie. He looks good, don't get me wrong, but it is what it is as of right now.

2 TD's and 6 Ints is not something to smile about. However, I will say he has been the victim of some tough breaks and bad drops.

If he had a red zone guy to either make plays or draw attention away from Hartline and Bess then he'd have 3 times the TD passes at this point. The picks have to stop and I think they will against weaker defenses (like Oakland) but I fully expect plenty more as the season goes.

The last two weeks he's done enough to get his team the win in the 4th Qtr and both times they folded as a team. As people have been saying, Miami could easily be 3-1 right now.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
The game plan probably changes a little bit if Carpenter hits the 51 yarder. Now you're up 16-7 instead of 13-7. I believe two of the turnovers wound up not hurting us..

From that point on the game changes. Does it change good or bad is something we will never know.

Rich wrote:
Then Miami is a sad team if the kicker is the bedrock.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:31 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Ignore my other post then. The fumble was a fantastic play by the Cardinals. Arizona destroyed the Eagles a week ago, and to think we did this well and lost in OT--well no shame. (Other than Nanee--who needs to be cut.)

And who the hell is this Hartline guy? Or Steve Smith? Did we we just pick these guys up? LOL. Heartbreaking lost, but I'm happy. We have a QB. We have a defense. We have a running game. We just need some time.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:10 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Makchell wrote:

Really? He has to be right on the mark, because the window for him is so tight with our WR's. Imagine if we had Fitz? We threw him into the fire and he's doing well. Two guys named Manning and Manning threw alot of interceptions in their rookie years. They have three rings. Yet, one of them had a five pick game and the other a three pick game this year.

I understand where you're coming from, but Rt is not a bust. I'd rate him as a Flacco or Ryan. Either QB I'd take over Henne, Moore, Fiedler, and I'm too tired to name the rest.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

apatos19 wrote:
Really? He has to be right on the mark, because the window for him is so tight with our WR's. Imagine if we had Fitz? We threw him into the fire and he's doing well. Two guys named Manning and Manning threw alot of interceptions in their rookie years. They have three rings. Yet, one of them had a five pick game and the other a three pick game this year.

I understand where you're coming from, but Rt is not a bust. I'd rate him as a Flacco or Ryan. Either QB I'd take over Henne, Moore, Fiedler, and I'm too tired to name the rest.

You're crazy man. Bess and Hartline were creating plenty of space today. Dunno what game you were watching.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

we're not even in this game without Tannehill. So far this season this Arizona defense has been stifling opposing quarterbacks. he stare down the gun barrel all day and stayed strong in the pocket to drive us downfield for scores and potential scores. Did you honestly think he would go turnover free against this defense?
And as pointed out, one of them was on hartline's slip and fall. He did his part and carpenter blew it again. Time to call Neil rackers.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:45 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
Mindtornado wrote:
Carpenter is the difference between 1-3 and 3-1.

Irrefutable fact.

Lets say that Carpenter drills the 51 yarder. That does not mean the game is over. The whole course of the game changes and it would not have unfolded as it did. Teams call different plays when they are up two scores or down two scores.

No doubt that making the kick would have helped but it is not true to say that we would have definitely beaten the cards if he makes that kick.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:20 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:

True, but in this game Tannehill threw one interception while he was hit in midthrow and another when his receiver fell down. Those types of interceptions are not his fault. He stood in the pocket and took a lot of hits and pressure and played very tough. This was the quality that I really liked in Matt Moore last year. I think this kid is going to be very good in time.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:46 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

catman_56 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Mindtornado wrote:
Carpenter is the difference between 1-3 and 3-1.

Irrefutable fact.

Lets say that Carpenter drills the 51 yarder. That does not mean the game is over. The whole course of the game changes and it would not have unfolded as it did. Teams call different plays when they are up two scores or down two scores.

No doubt that making the kick would have helped but it is not true to say that we would have definitely beaten the cards if he makes that kick.

There are a bunch of single plays in each game that can be pointed out as game changing... Its just not meant to be....

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:51 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

There are a bunch of single plays in each game that can be pointed out as game changing... Its just not meant to be....

The problem is the turnovers at the most inopportune times. For as good as RT played yesterday, he played just as bad. IF he cleans up the turnovers, he will be great. This stat TD/INT ratio has plagued us for years now. Clean it up and we will start winning. Yes, Carp has killed us, but the pick 6 and the pick in OT yesterday has killed us just as much.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:07 am

catman_56 wrote:
The whole course of the game changes and it would not have unfolded as it did. Teams call different plays when they are up two scores or down two scores.

There's no way to prove that because it didn't happen. What did happen is what actually happened. I'd rather deal with reality than what if.

The one thing that is proveable is that the missed field goal turned into a 10 point swing. Not only did Carpenter miss the field goal, but it gave the Cardinals terrific field position and they scored a touchdown on the following drive.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:12 am

Makchell wrote:
IF he cleans up the turnovers, he will be great.
'

How does he clean up turnovers that were caused by receivers falling down and blitzes not being picked up?

It's not like he was standing there with time to throw and misread the defense.

Those turnovers were a team effort.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:14 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

How does he clean up turnovers that were caused by receivers falling down and blitzes not being picked up?

That ball yesterday shouldn't have been thrown. Ditto on the pick 6. How about this then, if "the team" doesn't stop turning the ball over we won't win. Hence our 1-3 record that could easily be 3-1 which ticks me off.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:24 am

Makchell wrote:
That ball yesterday shouldn't have been thrown.

Which ball?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:01 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:

That ball yesterday shouldn't have been thrown. Ditto on the pick 6. How about this then, if "the team" doesn't stop turning the ball over we won't win. Hence our 1-3 record that could easily be 3-1 which ticks me off.

The pick-6 from last week ... definitely. As far as yesterday's game, his receiver was was still on his feet when he threw the pass. On the last interception he was hit on his blind side from a blitzing linebacker that wasn't picked up.

Does he need to clean up his interceptions? Yep, but not yesterday. He played a great game against a very agressive blitzing defense. I was proud of him as he seemed to take a hit on every time he stepped back to pass.

So, back on topic, do we really need a new GM? I'll have to reserve judgement on Ireland until the end of the season to see how his players develop in a new offensive and defensive scheme. One thing I think we can all agree with is that Daniel Thomas needs to be placed in the "bust" category. He's a backup at best.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:02 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

Your first comment doesn't really make sense. If the blitz isn't picked up and the defender sneaks up on him mid-throw he can't just stop the motion. He didn't expect to get hit.

The pick six is where you're spot on. Two throws that game, both that and the non-throw to Fasano in the end zone, are more troubling. Those are timing issues that need to be addressed.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:07 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
catman_56 wrote:
The biggest reason we are 1-3 and not 3-1 is not WR, QB, or a legit pass rusher.

It's field goal kicker.

+!

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:51 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:

The problem is the turnovers at the most inopportune times. For as good as RT played yesterday, he played just as bad. IF he cleans up the turnovers, he will be great. This stat TD/INT ratio has plagued us for years now. Clean it up and we will start winning. Yes, Carp has killed us, but the pick 6 and the pick in OT yesterday has killed us just as much.

See this is the problem I have with these posts, you mark up a few things he did bad, one on carpenter and just disregard the rest....

Like the fact that we were up, and the defense let them back in the game. Tannehill made a nice throw to hartline in the middle, who turned it up field, a guy who everyone says cant be a # 1, then the offense even scored a 2 pointer just in case.

Then, while sitting on the bench thinking about bringing his game ball home to his smoking hot wife, the defense gave up the entire field, big chunk play after play...

This is the NFL, when a team starts a rookie other guys need to step up to help out. Not blow leads so the game goes to OT, leaving more room for mistakes that are bound to happen.

Im not saying the picks are not hurting. Im just saying its not his fault we were in OT, Tannehill and the offense did enough to win. The defense gave it away.

And we can go on and on and on with this topic, but its just what I watched happen with my own two eyes. So I doubt its going to be worth while to even discuss anymore.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dave Hyde wrote:
I'm not sure why everyone keeps talking like Jeff Ireland's job will be reviewed after this season. The time to review it was last year, when Tony Sparano was fired. That would've cleaned house completely. Instead, Ireland was brought back by owner Steve Ross. You can have issues with Ireland's work. But I'd be shocked considering The Decision made last year if his job is up for grabs.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 7205.story

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

for those keeping score (and I know many of you are), add a point to Ireland's score for drafting hartline. Little by little his picks are panning out. (Sean Smith and Koa Misi also come to mind)

Quote:
Dolphins CB Sean Smith asked the coaching staff to let him match up with No. 1 wide receivers going forward, and he responded by helping to hold Larry Fitzgerald to 64 yards in Week 4.
Fitzgerald scored a touchdown, but it came on a wide receiver screen where Fitz lined up in the slot. Smith is an outside corner and that wasn't his coverage assignment on that particular play. Smith came down with two interceptions and tackled well, allowing Fitzgerald to do little after the catch. This is a big year for Smith, as it's the final season on his rookie deal. Oct 1 - 2:36 PM
Source: Miami Herald

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:04 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Usually I am pretty upset after a loss. Not this year. Int's are going to happen with a rookie. So long as it corrects itself bit by bit. He still looks stronger and better than Sanchez and Fitzpatrick. No wiffle balls yet.

As for play calling. Think about it. You have a young qb who is having a career day. You want him to learn. You call the plays that make him think. Right now NE is not going off the top of the pile. Brady is getting older and will (within the next 3 or 4 years) start to show signs of slowing and making mental errors. The Pats won't be on top forever and we want our qb to peak at the right time. Let Tanne make some mistakes now. Stay on top of it but let him go. Sparano ruined Henne. He didn't get to play the game. He was turned into a robot. You don't do that to young guys.

The kicker is the difference between 1 -3 and 3 and 1. Carpenter was great when the games don't mean diddly but when it comes down to wins and most importantly a winning season? Carpenter has to kick clutch field goals. He missed a couple of makeable field goals against the Jets. A 51 yarder is tough but makeable. And we should be 3-1. He has a case of the yips. If he doesn't get rid of them by the bye week. CYA get another guy. We need a guy that is balls on accurate from 20-48 yards in average weather. Cold and wind play key factors and I don't blame kickers for missing a 45 yarder in wind, rain and snow. But in Miami or Arizona? These are optimal conditions 90 percent of the time.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:51 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
catman_56 wrote:
The whole course of the game changes and it would not have unfolded as it did. Teams call different plays when they are up two scores or down two scores.

There's no way to prove that because it didn't happen. What did happen is what actually happened. I'd rather deal with reality than what if.

The one thing that is proveable is that the missed field goal turned into a 10 point swing. Not only did Carpenter miss the field goal, but it gave the Cardinals terrific field position and they scored a touchdown on the following drive.

You proved my point! If Carpenter makes the kick then Arizona is not starting from the 41 yard line but they are receiving a kickoff from us. The entire rest of the game changes. Maybe Peterson takes the kickoff back for TD. Maybe we don't throw the ball as much and go into Sparano mode and Bush breaks his leg. We don't know how the game would have turned out because there would still have been almost two quarters of football to play.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:47 am

catman_56 wrote:
You proved my point! If Carpenter makes the kick then Arizona is not starting from the 41 yard line but they are receiving a kickoff from us. The entire rest of the game changes. Maybe Peterson takes the kickoff back for TD. Maybe we don't throw the ball as much and go into Sparano mode and Bush breaks his leg. We don't know how the game would have turned out because there would still have been almost two quarters of football to play.

No you proved my point. You want to dwell in alternate reality.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:58 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Maybe Peterson takes the kickoff back for TD.

I doubt it, very low percentage.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:17 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Anyone have a flux capacitor?

We need 1.1 jiggawats of electricity, then we can go back in time and make Carpenter hit the FG..

:fart:

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:19 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Anyone have a flux capacitor?

We need 1.1 jiggawats of electricity, then we can go back in time and make Carpenter hit the FG..

:fart:

Excuse me, its 1.21. Lets not insult the great Dr Emmet Brown, he spent the family fortune developing time travel.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:37 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
catman_56 wrote:

No you proved my point. You want to dwell in alternate reality.

Really so every play would turnout exactly the same whether Carpenter makes that kick or not???

Rich wrote:

BTW-I know that logic is not your strong suit but if you want to write spelling would be a plus. "Proveable" is not a word, the correct word is provable.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:39 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

BTW-I know that logic is not your strong suit but if [i]you want to write spelling would be a plus[/i]

I guess English isn't yours!! He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next