View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dez Bryant a possibility, Brandon Marshall is not 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dez Bryant a possibility, Brandon Marshall is not
Quote:
by: Omar Kelly March 23rd, 2010 | 10:36 AM Brace yourself

I just think we need good players. When I say that, we have a lot of good players on our team right now. We want to take good players. At the end of the day we have to be concerned with all the other things that are out there. He has different issues, and we have to do our due diligence that way,” Sparano said. “But we have to take good players. Whether it’s a receiver, a defensive back, an offensive lineman. We have to make sure we continue to bring good football player onto this team. Between myself, Bill (Parcells), Jeff (Ireland). We’ve really preached this offseason, and have been on a mission since the middle of the season, the beginning of our season, with this next draft class preparing that way.
“The more good players we can bring on our team the more ways we can find ways, things for them to do.

To me it says they think Bryant is a difference maker, and could possibly be worth taking on his baggage

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... phins.html

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:55 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: Dez Bryant a possibility, Brandon Marshall is not
Quote:
To me it says they think Bryant is a difference maker, and could possibly be worth taking on his baggage

I disagree... he's talking on bringing good players that make a difference on the field... not specifically on Bryant. I doubt we get Dez at #12... My guess is he goes late in the 1st.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sparano's answer was to a direct question about Bryant.

Quote:
When we’re talking about hot button issues like the Miami Dolphins receiver issues, and there’s talk about a controversial figure like Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant, I figure it’s better for me to give you head coach Tony Sparano’s words straight, with no chaser.
So here’s what Sparano had to say about the controversial receiver, who was suspended for most of last season, and has a murky background that features a troubling childhood.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... phins.html

Quote:
He has different issues, and we have to do our due diligence that way,” Sparano said. “But we have to take good players. Whether it’s a receiver ...

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:22 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

AQNOR:

IMO Bryant will not be a Dolphin unless we get him in the 2nd round, and that will not happen.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:25 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dan, if Dez Bryant runs a 4.6-4.7, he could very well slip into the mid to early 1st round. I doubt if New England passes him up, as Randy Moss will be a free agent after 2010 and Wes Welker is coming off a torn ACL and rotor cuff.

Point blank, if the kid runs what folks think he will run and looks good running routes, which I think he will, the kid is going in the 1st 12-15 picks.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:27 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I agree... Still I don't think we pick him up even if he runs a 4.4... Talent is not this kid's problem. Its the cancer he brings with him into te locker room. Hate the fact of how conceited he is.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dan wrote:
AQNOR:

IMO Bryant will not be a Dolphin unless we get him in the 2nd round, and that will not happen.

Gotcha, many talent evaluator's and draftniks have him going in the top 10 and listed as a top 5 talent. But we have also seen top evaluated talents fall alot in previous drafts. I was concerned about the reports of his character issues but phinsfansc almost has me convinced that maybe those concerns are not as great as I first thought. Others have the same idea.

Quote:
2. Let's discuss Dez Bryant.
a. What are the chances he makes it to #12?
b. If he makes it, do the Dolphins pass? Should they?
c. What are his biggest strengths, in your eyes?
d. What does he need to work on?
e. Will he be a diva? Be honest.

a. Dez Bryant is the elite receiver in the draft in the eyes of all three of us. And we all believe that he would be the difference maker to an offense crying out for his skill set. But will he make it to 12? “No. Jaguars take him”, “Could go as high as six” and “Sad day for Miami fans” were our collective reactions. Not good.

b. So playing devils advocate, we looked at the scenario in which he makes it to the 12th pick and how Miami would play it: An “I think they pass” was quickly followed by an “I think they take” and culminated in a: “They SHOULD take. I think they WILL pass”. That drew an ouch from everyone!

c. Without eulogising too much we had a little ‘throw a few words into the ring’ session to try and nail down his strengths. This is what we came up with: Chris had “Field memory and hand coordination”, Richard went with “Hands, physical style” and I plumped for “Physicality and ability after the catch”.

d. When it came to what he needed to work on, all three of us paused for slightly longer than should be acceptable and I threw in the caveat that it was tough to choose a specific fault because as discussed here before, he does the little things very well. But we got there in the end and Richard had: “route running and separation”, Chris had “emotional control – on field” and I went for the fact that his “shorter routes need some work.” But we all agreed on an interesting fault which rarely comes up because he makes so many plays down the field; Bryant rarely, if ever, gets separation on deep routes. He’s making reception after reception because he’s simply outjumping corners and not because he has 2/3 strides.

e. Then the important one or at least the one that the media seems fixated upon. Diva or not? Which drew an immediate: “Thong or jock?” from Richard and a “colourful personality” from Chris. Richard then summed up what we all feel: “silly rather than trouble. More Chad OchoCinco than Terrell Owens.” But I threw in a serious point before we closed this section out about the strength of receivers coach Karl Dorrell and his own youth – he’s 46 – and that for four years he coached at a high profile FBS school, UCLA which makes you feel as though he could handle a personality like Bryant.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]