View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 James Jones Trade Rumors: Why Dolphins Must Deal for Packers 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post James Jones Trade Rumors: Why Dolphins Must Deal for Packers
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1318 ... packers-wr

Quote:
Miami has been actively pursing receivers in a trade, and Green Bay's James Jones is one of the players being targeted. Earlier this week Ireland said the second-round pick Miami got for cornerback Vontae Davis and the third-round pick the Dolphins acquired for trading Brandon Marshall to Chicago this offseason is "ammunition" to make something happen.

I'm hoping we add another receiver via trade. I'm not too thrilled at the current free agent prospects or the idea of waiting until next season to make a move. Like Ireland said, those extra picks (2nd,3rd,6th) can be used as ammunition. Hopefully Ireland can make something happen soon. It would be nice to see us add a solid veteran receiver to boost the level of play.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:33 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: James Jones Trade Rumors: Why Dolphins Must Deal for Packers
I'd rather save our picks and get elite talent coming out of college. I would draft the best DB with our 1st pick and use the two 2nd rd picks on WR's! This is a rebuilding year, pick up veteran WR and CB for this year and next year we go with hopefully 4 or 5 of the best players in the country!

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
I'd rather save our picks and get elite talent coming out of college. I would draft the best DB with our 1st pick and use the two 2nd rd picks on WR's! This is a rebuilding year, pick up veteran WR and CB for this year and next year we go with hopefully 4 or 5 of the best players in the country!

True but Jones is only 28 and has two years left on his current contract. We could probably get him for a mid-round pick and honestly I think that is a solid value. Jones would be an instant starter for us and could provide Tannehill with a solid outside weapon this year. We could then continue to upgrade the position next year with a high draft pick.

1 - James Jones
2 - Brian Hartline
3 - Davone Bess
4 - Legadu Naanee
5 - Marlon Moore
6 - Rishard Matthews

1 - James Jones
2 - 1st or 2nd Round Pick
3 - Brian Hartline
4 - Davone Bess
5 - 3rd Round Pick
6 - Rishard Matthews

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:

True but Jones is only 28 and has two years left on his current contract. We could probably get him for a mid-round pick and honestly I think that is a solid value. Jones would be an instant starter for us and could provide Tannehill with a solid outside weapon this year. We could then continue to upgrade the position next year with a high draft pick.

Don't you think Miami has not already offered a mid-rd pick? He is not leaving the Packers for anything less than a 2nd at this point of the yr. Its game time, not team building time. Only Miami trades away players that will help them win at this point of the year.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:55 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Don't you think Miami has not already offered a mid-rd pick? He is not leaving the Packers for anything less than a 2nd at this point of the yr. Its game time, but team building time. Only Miami trades away players that will help them win at this point of the year.

I agree they probably made their best offer. Quite frankly I'm shocked they haven't signed Gaffney or another vet.

Unless Cobb completely makes Jones irrelevant, GB probably holds out until the deadline unless Miami or another team ups the offer.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:26 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Quite frankly I'm shocked they haven't signed Gaffney or another vet.

They signed Armstrong.

Also, Gaffney has a hip injury.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Quite frankly I'm shocked they haven't signed Gaffney or another vet.

They signed Armstrong.

Also, Gaffney has a hip injury.

I know they signed Armstrong, but I was referring to some type of vet upgrade over Naanee.

I read about Gaffney's injury but I thought he was doing better. Could be wrong. The papers made it sound like the signing was inevitable.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:51 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dphins4me wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Don't you think Miami has not already offered a mid-rd pick? He is not leaving the Packers for anything less than a 2nd at this point of the yr. Its game time, but team building time. Only Miami trades away players that will help them win at this point of the year.

I think Ireland is going to wait and call Green Bays bluff. If Cobb breaks out then that devalues Jones. But I prefer not giving up our two 3's for him. What happened to the two guys Green Bay cut? I seen those guys in pre season and both look better than Nenae! We are going to suck this year, let's just face the facts! To me a great year is RT17 shows flashes and starts to get talked about in the next wave of QB's and he stays healthy. After that if we win 4 or 5 games that's cool let's draft well for 2013!

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:17 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

I agree they probably made their best offer. Quite frankly I'm shocked they haven't signed Gaffney or another vet.

Unless Cobb completely makes Jones irrelevant, GB probably holds out until the deadline unless Miami or another team ups the offer.

I don't know what Ireland has offered. Jones is a former 2nd round pick but hasn't been a true #1 at any point in his career. I'd think his value is probably a 3rd or 4th round pick at this point in his career. But I've also heard reports that Jones has been playing much better this offseason and looks like he might be making a push to move into the #2 spot. Problem is Green Bay holds all the cards on this one. Both sides know this guys value and Green Bay isn't going to give up a solid veteran #2 for cheap, even if they already have three #2 guys.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

MdDolfan wrote:
I think Ireland is going to wait and call Green Bays bluff. If Cobb breaks out then that devalues Jones. But I prefer not giving up our two 3's for him. What happened to the two guys Green Bay cut? I seen those guys in pre season and both look better than Nenae! We are going to suck this year, let's just face the facts! To me a great year is RT17 shows flashes and starts to get talked about in the next wave of QB's and he stays healthy. After that if we win 4 or 5 games that's cool let's draft well for 2013!

GB bluff? They are not the ones shopping him. Miami went to them. GB is not looking to move Jones especially at this point of the year when the games start to count. For GB its our price or he stays.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:47 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
GB bluff? They are not the ones shopping him. Miami went to them. GB is not looking to move Jones especially at this point of the year when the games start to count. For GB its our price or he stays.

Yep, I agree with that. The only way he is in Miami is if we overpay ... and I'd rather not see that.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Yep, I agree with that. The only way he is in Miami is if we overpay ... and I'd rather not see that.

We've paid relatively little attention to the receiver position in the last five years via the draft. Maybe we do need to make a move?

Patrick Turner (New York Jet)
Brian Hartline (#3 Wideout)
Edmond Gates (New York Jet)
B.J. Cunningham (Philadelphia Eagle)
Rishard Matthews (#6 Wideout)

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:55 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dphins4me wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:

You are right, I just chose the wrong words...i meant to say if Jones doesn't out play Cobb or Driver then they will look to move him and at that time we could get him for less! But you're right they are in no hurry to shop him!
But I say let's stand pat and pick up some veteran WR's for RT17!

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:

You are right, I just chose the wrong words...i meant to say if Jones doesn't out play Cobb or Driver then they will look to move him and at that time we could get him for less! But you're right they are in no hurry to shop him!
But I say let's stand pat and pick up some veteran WR's for RT17!

Who are we going to pick up in free agency that doesn't have baggage, is healthy, and can provide us with a significant upgrade over Naanee?

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:17 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Green Bay has two WR's that have looked 10 times better than Naanee this pre season! Everything Carolina fans said said about him was true....practice legend but sucks in games!

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the Raiders have like 5 or 6 quality receivers. I'd call them with a conditional pick for a Jacoby Ford or Juron Criner

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
the Raiders have like 5 or 6 quality receivers. I'd call them with a conditional pick for a Jacoby Ford or Juron Criner

I'm sure they would trade Ford. He stays on the trainers table more than Gates.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Jones this year, and grab Jennings next year in FA. I'll trade a third for jones.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

apatos19 wrote:
Jones this year, and grab Jennings next year in FA. I'll trade a third for jones.

That would be excellent, we'd then have:
1 - Jennings
2 - Jones
3 - Bess
4 - Hartline
5 - Armstrong
6 - Matthews or Moore
That's a pretty good group of wideouts.

Another scneario which could play out would be if we went after Jennings next year and drafted a wideout in the 1st or 2nd round. We'd then have two top tier targets along with Bess and Hartline. That would arguably be an even better group.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:38 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

wkloiber13 wrote:
apatos19 wrote:

1 - Jennings
2 - Jones
3 - Bess
4 - Hartline
5 - Armstrong
6 - Matthews or Moore

Another scneario which could play out would be if we went after Jennings next year and drafted a wideout in the 1st or 2nd round. We'd then have two top tier targets along with Bess and Hartline. That would arguably be an even better group.

But...Lol. Jennings and Jones, allow us to draft a PR and ballhawking saftey in the draft and maybe an inside LB. Suddeny, we are looking like a contender.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

apatos19 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
apatos19 wrote:

1 - Jennings
2 - Jones
3 - Bess
4 - Hartline
5 - Armstrong
6 - Matthews or Moore

But...Lol. Jennings and Jones, allow us to draft a PR and ballhawking saftey in the draft and maybe an inside LB. Suddeny, we are looking like a contender.

We've got five picks in the first three rounds. If we could get Jones for a 3rd then we'd still have four picks. We could then draft a cornerback, safety, wideout, and linebacker. Then from the 4th through 7th we could go best player available.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

LOL @ this Packers South stuff.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

There is SO MUCH speculation here. I could make a case for a number of NFL players that will be free agents and wish the Dolphins would look their way. I guess because Philbin is from Green Bay, people automatically associate their free agents to come to Miami.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

Dallas Cowboys east worked, so why not Packer South?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:57 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
We've got five picks in the first three rounds. If we could get Jones for a 3rd then we'd still have four picks. We could then draft a cornerback, safety, wideout, and linebacker. Then from the 4th through 7th we could go best player available.
First off. GB is not trading him for a 3rd right now. Regardless, why waste a 3rd for a 28 Yr old Wr with catching issues. Miami could have held onto Marshall & had a larger threat at WR.

Jones is only looked upon with fondness because Miami's Wr are horrible.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

It's interesting to think about the two situations.

Makes you wonder whether it's better to try to copycat blueprints or strategically shape the team around the talent you have/acquire and create your own image.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

Makes you wonder whether it's better to try to copycat blueprints or strategically shape the team around the talent you have/acquire and create your own image.
Have copy cats ever won?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Make no mistake about it, Ireland, Philbin, and Sherman are building this team around Tannehill. We're going to be something all together different.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:48 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
First off. GB is not trading him for a 3rd right now. Regardless, why waste a 3rd for a 28 Yr old Wr with catching issues. Miami could have held onto Marshall & had a larger threat at WR.

Jones is only looked upon with fondness because Miami's Wr are horrible.

Jones would not be a waste. There is no guarantee we could get any better a receiver in the 3rd round. Jones is a former 2nd round pick and a known commodity.
Let me just go down the list as to why this guy is a nice fit for us:
1 - He knows our staff and he would walk in familiar with the majority of our offense.
2 - He would easily catch 40 passes this season. He's played at that level his entire career.
3 - He provides us with an upgrade over Legadu Naanee. Naanee is a much better 4th option.
4 - He has two years left on his contract and wouldn't cost us much.
5 - He would provide our young group with a blueprint for what our new staff wants from it's wideouts.
6 - He brings experience to the position. Jones has a SB ring and he's played on the biggest stages.
7 - No off the field issues with this guy that I know of. Definitely not a diva.

I think he's a soild option but I also respect your opinion. I get that you don't like the guy.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
Jones would not be a waste. There is no guarantee we could get any better a receiver in the 3rd round. Jones is a former 2nd round pick and a known commodity..

Known for dropping passes. Especially at the wrong time.

wkloiber13 wrote:

1 - He knows our staff and he would walk in familiar with the majority of our offense.
2 - He would easily catch 40 passes this season. He's played at that level his entire career.
3 - He provides us with an upgrade over Legadu Naanee. Naanee is a much better 4th option.
5 - He would provide our young group with a blueprint for what our new staff wants from it's wideouts.
6 - He brings experience to the position. Jones has a SB ring and he's played on the biggest stages.
7 - No off the field issues with this guy that I know of. Definitely not a diva.

I think he's a soild option but I also respect your opinion. I get that you don't like the guy.

Valid to some degree, but the man struggles with catching the ball. Its like a Qb who struggles with accuracy. That is the most important part of his job. Catching the ball.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the Cowboys have been a floundering franchise, Green Bay is a championship organization. I have no problem copying them.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
the Cowboys have been a floundering franchise, Green Bay is a championship organization. I have no problem copying them.

Its about the talent, not the system.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Its about the talent, not the system.

well we have some of their coaches now, and we have a better run game and defense than they had in Green Bay. So maybe they can make this a competitive team at least this year.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
well we have some of their coaches now, and we have a better run game and defense than they had in Green Bay. So maybe they can make this a competitive team at least this year.
Can we get their GM?

I do not see this team being competitive. If they can't be, then I'm fine with being 2-14.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:18 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Jones would not be a waste. There is no guarantee we could get any better a receiver in the 3rd round. Jones is a former 2nd round pick and a known commodity..

Known for dropping passes. Especially at the wrong time.

wkloiber13 wrote:

Valid to some degree, but the man struggles with catching the ball. Its like a Qb who struggles with accuracy. That is the most important part of his job. Catching the ball.

Word out of Packers camp is that Jones has really worked his tail off this offseason to improve and get more opportunities. Many have said next to Jordy Nelson that he's been the best wideout in camp.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
Word out of Packers camp is that Jones has really worked his tail off this offseason to improve and get more opportunities. Many have said next to Jordy Nelson that he's been the best wideout in camp.

Maybe, but I'll stick with his 5 yr track record.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Have copy cats ever won?

Ask all the coaches who came out of the 80/90s SanFran teams.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phin wrote:
Ask all the coaches who came out of the 80/90s SanFran teams.
Whom might they be? It was a legit question. Have copy cats won?

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:15 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Kev1321 wrote:
Of coarse that means Bess and Hartline suck , i guess?

Suck? 10 Yr old boys use that word or uneducated people.

Hartline/Bess are very Avg. Scare no DB. Bess is a solid slot, but doesn't have the speed to break a short pass & turn it into a big gain & Hartline would have trouble being more than a No. 3 on most teams.

Between the two they have 1 TD catch in 6 games

Outside the Ariz. game. Hartline is Avg. 3.4 catches for 52 Yds & 0 Tds in the other games this year. No exactly stud material.

I'd hate to see how much you stalk someone else who is worth your time.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:00 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Of coarse that means Bess and Hartline suck , i guess?

Suck? 10 Yr old boys use that word or uneducated people.

I'd hate to see how much you stalk someone else who is worth your time.

Dphins4me wrote:
Thanks again for trying to derail a thread with your personal issue stuff.

No one cares.

I'm sure Dave, Mak & the rest of the posters here would appreciated it, if you would simply get a life or at worst, PM this personal crap to people. Either way I'd say they want you to shut the heck up with this personal BS

PM stands for Personal Message. Use it.

Obviously you have not watch Cam play this year.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next