Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:20 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
OmarKelly “@espn_watkins: Jerry Jones: Danny Coale didn't have time to establish himself es.pn/Px6Rtx” - a possible poach target I'm told

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=OmarKelly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:23 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
OmarKelly “@espn_watkins: Jerry Jones: Danny Coale didn't have time to establish himself es.pn/Px6Rtx” - a possible poach target I'm told

He would be the highest 2012 draft pick at Wr for the team. Drafted in Rd. 5.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:24 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Mak I hear what you are saying but I also remember our ST unit blowing chunks not that long ago. If we have the room for a good ST guy I hope we keep 'em whatever position he plays.

Yeah, you're right. Im just so frustrated right now about this team like all of us are.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:27 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I wonder how much tape the Hard Knocks crew is burning through today?

Has anyone else ever wondered if the locker room attendents are sources for reporters? lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Rishard Matthews
I was hoping he'd stick. Of all the guys, he was the only one catching balls.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:40 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

well it looks like we have traded away Slayton for Armstrong a wr not sure of details

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:42 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Was R. Matthews cut? If so, that truly is a shocker. He was the best receiver we had in the pre-season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cboy72 wrote:
Was R. Matthews cut? If so, that truly is a shocker. He was the best receiver we had in the pre-season.

He's made the team....for now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I just want to know if the Benny Hill theme song is blaring throughout the Dolphins office right now as they cut the roster and make desperation moves off the waiver wire and trades 1 week before the freakin' season begins.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:55 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
I just want to know if the Benny Hill theme song is blaring throughout the Dolphins office right now as they cut the roster and make desperation moves off the waiver wire and trades 1 week before the freakin' season begins.

Ok they have to get down to 53 and what desperation moves off the waiver wire and trades have they made so far?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:05 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

AQNOR wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Ok they have to get down to 53 and what desperation moves off the waiver wire and trades have they made so far?

According to Rich Campbell of the Washington Times, the Dolphins are working out a trade that would send Steve Slaton to Washington in exchange for WR Anthony Armstrong, who was on the Dolphins’ practice squad in 2008 and cut in 2009.
have to wonder about this one unless Miami got something extra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:06 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Slaton rumored traded to Skins for WR Anthony Armstrong

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1194 ... -armstrong

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:10 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Slaton rumored traded to Skins for WR Anthony Armstrong

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1194 ... -armstrong

Again, a practice squad'er we used to have who we cut. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Armstrong is a great stretch the field receiver. I really like that kid.

Here's the cuts so far according to NFL.com:

Quote:
CB Vince Agnew
LB Ryan Baker
LB Cameron Collins
WR B.J. Cunningham
WR Jeff Fuller
WR Clyde Gates
LB Gary Guyton
CB Quinten Lawrence
WR Roberto Wallace
DE Jamal Westerman

Also, Tim Hightower and DJ Ware both cut.. two more veteran backs to the list of available running backs... man these guys better start taking pay cuts... the RB pool is full!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:17 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

What is sad is that Armstrong got two TD's in just seven catches. Bess only Had 3 TD's last year, and other than Marshall, he was the only receiver who caught more TD's than Armstrong did last year! Remember, Bess is currently our best receiver. Our team stinks at WR in a pass happy game. Sad. We have to hope that Clay, Fasano and Bush can take up the slack.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:20 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
BenVolinPBP Armstrong had a solid 2010 season, with 44 catches for 871 yards (19.8 average) and 3 TDs. Victim of a roster squeeze in Washington

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=BenVolinPBP

Steve Slaton
2011 season 24 attempts 84 yards 3.5 avg 1 td 3 catches for 3 yds
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11323/steve-slaton
2010 season 12 for 19 93yards 4.9 avg and 0 td 3 catches for 11 yds

So how is this desperate move?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:23 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:

Steve Slaton

Making 2, possibly 3 position moves at the WR a week before the season begins is definitely desperation time.

If they can get guys like Armstrong, Jones, and Gaffney we'll at least have a chance at being serviceable. But the first few weeks will be painful as they get acclimated and work thru chemistry issues.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:40 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Steve Slaton

Making 2, possibly 3 position moves at the WR a week before the season begins is definitely desperation time.

If they can get guys like Armstrong, Jones, and Gaffney we'll at least have a chance at being serviceable. But the first few weeks will be painful as they get acclimated and work thru chemistry issues.

This one trade is not desperation if it happens. What did we know for sure at the point of your original post?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:44 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
This one trade is not desperation if it happens. What did we know for sure at the point of your original post?

Please explain to me how it is not desperation ONE WEEK before the 1st regular season game.

Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Anthony Armstrong is at least a burner. Slaton is nothing special.

Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

looks like Feinga gone to

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:47 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Rock Sexton wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Please explain to me how it is not desperation ONE WEEK before the 1st regular season game.

Clearly our WR situation is pretty desperate, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be doing this. They sure as heck should be doing everything they can to upgrade wherever they can... at WR, DB, OL, LB, everywhere possible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:54 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

I would consider desperation making a obvious bad deal in a trade? For me that remains to be seen.

What did we know at your original post?

"I just want to know if the Benny Hill theme song is blaring throughout the Dolphins office right now as they cut the roster and make desperation moves off the waiver wire and trades 1 week before the freakin' season begins."

No trades had been done only rumors so we don't know if they are good or bad trades. What desperation moves had been made off of the waiver wire? We have to cut down to 53 players.

Would I prefer that trades for whoever be done before one week? Of course. For me does that mean it is a desperation trade? Only if Miami gets hosed in the deal would that make it desperation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:00 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
I would consider desperation making a obvious bad deal in a trade? For me that remains to be seen.

We are "desperate" for competent players at the positions we are discussing. The compensation isn't what makes it desperate. It's the fact that we have all these holes 1 week before the opener, which I've already stated.

Quote:

"I just want to know if the Benny Hill theme song is blaring throughout the Dolphins office right now as they cut the roster and make desperation moves off the waiver wire and trades 1 week before the freakin' season begins."

No trades had been done only rumors so we don't know if they are good or bad trades. What desperation moves had been made off of the waiver wire? We have to cut down to 53 players.

Would I prefer that trades for whoever be done before one week? Of course. For me does that mean it is a desperation trade? Only if Miami gets hosed in the deal.

I highlighted the only thing that matters. This is like the kid slacking before finals trying to cram in 6 months worth of material 2 hours before the exam. We have been kicking the tires on almost every WR alive. We're still kicking tires on CB's after previously saying we were comfortable after the VD trade.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:10 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

i like that Hogan will start the season as the 5th receiver.
Fuller and Cunningham will stay on our practice squad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:28 am 

swerve13 wrote:
i like that Hogan will start the season as the 5th receiver.
Fuller and Cunningham will stay on our practice squad.

I think there's a chance we could lose Cunningham... he didnt play often in preseason but he made some plays when he did. It's a slim chance... but you never know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:32 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
I think there's a chance we could lose Cunningham... he didnt play often in preseason but he made some plays when he did. It's a slim chance... but you never know.

What play specifically would lead you to think someone is specifically eyeballing him?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:21 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

S.lyons gone to

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:27 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rock Sexton wrote:
We are "desperate" for competent players at the positions we are discussing. The compensation isn't what makes it desperate. It's the fact that we have all these holes 1 week before the opener, which I've already stated.

Agreed. Miami is desperate but not necessarily making desperate moves. They are essentially trading 3rd stringers here but for each team that 3rd stringer is elevated to a better role.

Its a good move if it goes down.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:28 am 

Rock Sexton wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

What play specifically would lead you to think someone is specifically eyeballing him?

What are you a detective? I don't have specific plays to lay out for you... I just think he performed well enough to at least get a look from another team.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
What are you a detective? I don't have specific plays to lay out for you... I just think he performed well enough to at least get a look from another team.

LOL. Call it curiosity .... we're talking about guy who couldn't crack the regular season roster with this pathetic WR unit. He had 5 receptions in the entire preseason. IMO he was just one of those late round draftees where Ireland was throwing anything up against the wall hoping it would stick. Too bad he didn't prioritize the position a little more responsibly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:41 am 

Rock Sexton wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

LOL. Call it curiosity .... we're talking about guy who couldn't crack the regular season roster with this pathetic WR unit. He had 5 receptions in the entire preseason. IMO he was just one of those late round draftees where Ireland was throwing anything up against the wall hoping it would stick. Too bad he didn't prioritize the position a little more responsibly.

I honestly felt like we had too many receivers to get them all enough playing time to get legit looks at them. I mean did some of these guys only get a chance to play with Devlin and not Moore and Tannehill?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:50 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

its almost 4pm and with my count, very unofficial we still have 10 more to go to get to 53. these should get more interesting from here out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:00 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Quote:

Would I prefer that trades for whoever be done before one week? Of course. For me does that mean it is a desperation trade? Only if Miami gets hosed in the deal.

I highlighted the only thing that matters. This is like the kid slacking before finals trying to cram in 6 months worth of material 2 hours before the exam. We have been kicking the tires on almost every WR alive. We're still kicking tires on CB's after previously saying we were comfortable after the VD trade.

I hope that I have the fortitude to make this my last post in response to this. It seems like being right = having the last post so I will try to refrain from my vain tendencies.

I understand desperate to be taking extreme measures or engaging in reckless behavior because the situation seems hopeless. I think that is a fairly mainstream understanding of the word. I notice in your post you put "desperation moves" as a part of it. That is what I disagreed with and tried to highlight.

At the time of your post I dont think there is any proof of those kind of actions on the part of the Dolphins organization.

That we have holes may be a fact. Desperation IMO may or may not be a response to that "fact".

I desperately want the Phins to have a great season this year. That is probably why my family usually makes fun of me when I watch a game or just flat out refuse to watch one with me. : )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:24 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

teamalley wrote:
its almost 4pm and with my count, very unofficial we still have 10 more to go to get to 53. these should get more interesting from here out.

Assuming I have those cut so far correct I have 8 to get to 53(75 - 1 - 13 = 61), though my feeling is they may cut down to 48 or so?

1 traded
Cook, Ryan

13 cut
Agnew, Vincent
Scott, Kevyn
Lawrence, Quinten
Baker, Ryan
Feinga, Ray
Collins, Cameron
Guyton, Gary
Lyons, Shelly
Westerman, Jamaal
Cunningham, B.J.
Fuller, Jeff
Gates, Clyde
Wallace, Roberto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

report from practice Murtha gone and Barker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:40 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

keebler_kahn wrote:
teamalley wrote:

Assuming I have those cut so far correct I have 8 to get to 53(75 - 1 - 13 = 61), though my feeling is they may cut down to 48 or so?

1 traded
Cook, Ryan

13 cut
Agnew, Vincent
Scott, Kevyn
Lawrence, Quinten
Baker, Ryan
Feinga, Ray
Collins, Cameron
Guyton, Gary
Lyons, Shelly
Westerman, Jamaal
Cunningham, B.J.
Fuller, Jeff
Gates, Clyde
Wallace, Roberto

with your count and the 2 i recently put in we have to get rid of 6 more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Slaton for Armstrong is a very good trade for Miami, if that sticks. Slaton was the odd man out anyway. Armstrong is still young and a burner sorta like a young Santana Moss type.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:56 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
* Receiver Jeff Fuller, reportedly cut today, was surprisingly at practice. He can’t be signed to the practice squad yet — not until after clearing waivers at noon Saturday — so the Dolphins obviously haven’t released him (not yet, anyway).

* Receiver Chris Hogan, better known as “7-11,” is at practice today. So are Marlon Moore and rookie Rishard Matthews. Brian Hartline, out all camp with a calf injury, is working with the ones early in practice.

* Running back Steve Slaton, rumored to be headed to Washington in a trade for receiver Anthony Armstrong, is at practice. So is rookie Marcus Thigpen, the former CFL star.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... e-for-now/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:04 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

no cuts are official till 9pm. I think thats right but suppose we will have to wait and see.

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next