Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:08 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
By Andy Friedlander
Special to The Miami Herald
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Tony Romo never took off his baseball cap. Miles Austin, Dez Bryant and Jason Witten didn’t set foot on the field.
And still, the floundering Dolphins secondary managed to struggle in Wednesday night’s 30-13 loss to Dallas.

Indeed, the man who made Davis expendable, veteran cornerback Richard Marshall, made his share of missteps in his two series on the field.

Marshall mercifully spent the rest of the evening on the bench. The man who replaced him at left cornerback, Nolan Carroll, wasn’t so fortunate. Carroll actually had his moments, finishing the game with four tackles and two pass breakups, but he and young hopeful Quinton Lawrence staggered through a second quarter in which the Cowboys scored 20 points and the Dolphins helped make McGee, who is likely to be released before the season begins, look like an actual NFL quarterback.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/30/2 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

This is going to be watched all year & if it is a weakness then the trade of Davis will be harped upon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:21 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
This is going to be watched all year & if it is a weakness then the trade of Davis will be harped upon.

If that's the case, they brought it upon themselves by creating a new "void". We had enough of them as it was.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:27 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

We were suppose to be set at corner for years to come with Smith abd Davis. They were both starting to bare fruit. At least we still have Smith who appears to be in beast mode.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:32 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
If that's the case, they brought it upon themselves by creating a new "void". We had enough of them as it was.
You know every time Marshall or Carroll get burnt its going to be pointed out. Its what the media does.

They did create another void, if Carroll is the player he has been in the past. I'm not a big preseason person, since I've seen preseason studs falter when the real games count & they are playing an entire game, not quarters.

Plus & its just the way I see it, but Davis has his faults & if he were 28 then I get lets move on, but he is 24 & as I mentioned prior. The age of some rookies.

My personal belief is they pulled the trigger to quick on him, because it was the Colts.. They believe the Colts pick will be high in Rd. 2. I do not. I believe the Colts will be at least 8-8, maybe 10-6 if they win the games they should & pull an upset or two. I do not believe they will find a better player in Rd. 2. Davis is physically gifted to be a Darrell Revis type corner, if he gets the professional part down & if so, Miami gave him up for a 2nd Rd pick..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:04 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Brace yourselves. It's going to be a long season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

it was a weakness with Vontae here too, so what's the difference??? oh ya, a 2nd round pick. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:44 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Dphins4me wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
You know every time Marshall or Carroll get burnt its going to be pointed out. Its what the media does.

They did create another void, if Carroll is the player he has been in the past. I'm not a big preseason person, since I've seen preseason studs falter when the real games count & they are playing an entire game, not quarters.

Plus & its just the way I see it, but Davis has his faults & if he were 28 then I get lets move on, but he is 24 & as I mentioned prior. The age of some rookies.

My personal belief is they pulled the trigger to quick on him, because it was the Colts.. They believe the Colts pick will be high in Rd. 2. I do not. I believe the Colts will be at least 8-8, maybe 10-6 if they win the games they should & pull an upset or two. I do not believe they will find a better player in Rd. 2. Davis is physically gifted to be a Darrell Revis type corner, if he gets the professional part down & if so, Miami gave him up for a 2nd Rd pick..

as if Vontae never got worn like a shirt by star receivers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:

You got stats to back this up? What are his #'s in one-one-one's vs. upper echelon WR's.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:07 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:

Can you provide a game when he was? I'm not talking getting burnt on one play, but being worn all game long as you just said.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:

...and it should be. Davis did nothing to deserve being traded and you don't find talent like that laying around. Given Irelands track record at 2nd round picks, to me it was a no brainer to keep him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm going to reserve my judgement until we see what happens against the Texans in week one. A great pass rush can make even pedestrian corners look great. We haven't shown what we're capable of yet in terms of our pass rush. We just got a little glimpse in the Atlanta game when our defense held a very good offense led by Matt Ryan out of the endzone. We pressured him, we sacked him, we made him make some bad throws. If our front seven can get to Schaub and do the same things they did against Atlanta then it will greatly help our secondary and our chances of winning that game. Remember, we also played that game without Dansby and Burnett. Those are impact guys who can rush the passer, I think they'll also have an impact.
We may have lost a solid contributor in Vontae Davis, but we're definitely not a bad defense now that we traded him. We've still got a good defense in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:37 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:

I think you're confusing Vontae wtih Smith. Davis was as close as Miami had to a shutdown corner. I realize he's a Colt now...so he was garbage. If he signs back in a few years, he will be a matured, pro bowler in his prime....lol.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:57 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
it was a weakness with Vontae here too, so what's the difference??? oh ya, a 2nd round pick. LOL

Seriously not a bad point. We weren't, & in all likelyhood won't be, winning a ton of games. Lets hope our new DC sees potential in the guys we have & plans to develop them by the end of the season. & if Ireland can use that pick wisely then maybe we won't worry as much about the corners

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]