View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Stallworth works for Dolphins 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Stallworth works for Dolphins
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... eport-says

Quote:
Now that they're back in South Florida after their charter plane backed into another plane on the runway in Dallas, the Miami Dolphins will go about trying to find some additional players at what is arguably their weakest position.

The Dolphins will host several veteran wide receivers for workouts at their Davie, Florida headquarters, according to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

The 32-year-old has 320 receptions for 4,774 yards and 34 touchdowns in a career that has been split between six organizations in nine seasons. Stallworth was suspended for the 2009 season after he was convicted of DUI manslaughter charges.

The only current Dolphins receivers who are guaranteed a roster spot are Davone Bess and Brian Hartline. Veteran Legedu Naanee appeared to be a lock after a strong showing in the offseason and start of training camp, but has struggled with dropped passes in the last two preseason games.

As documented by HBO's "Hard Knocks" series, first-year player Chris Hogan has been impressive, but lacks experience. The same could be said of Marlon Moore, Roberto Wallace, Jeff Fuller and Clyde Gates.

One thing to keep in mind about these receiver workouts is that they are unlikely to lead to an immediate signing. If a vested veteran like Stallworth is on the roster Week 1, his entire base salary would be guaranteed.

Depending on the number of seasons the receiver has, that salary would be between $700,000 and $925,000, which is just steep enough for teams to wait until after the regular-season opener to sign those players, avoiding the guarantees.

These receiver workouts should be a clear message to the younger receivers on the Dolphins: While you may have a spot on the 53-man roster now, that does not mean you'll have one next week.
Follow Brian McIntyre on Twitter @brian_mcintyre.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:37 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Stallworth works for Dolphins
These guys had better step up big time because if they don't execute Ireland will find players that can. Like the article says, outside of Bess, Hartline, and Naanee, nobody is safe. I'm not even sure why Naanee would be safe. The guy has made some pretty bonehead mistakes in camp.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:49 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Instant Probowler*

* on paper and if signed by Miami

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Naanee has not showed me SQUAT. I would not be shocked if he got cut. Either you know how to catch the darn ball or you don't and last night he was SCARED to lay in front of a ball where he was about to get hit and completely let Tannehill down.

I am sorry, but I have no place for players that can't catch and play scared, experienced NFL receiver or not as he has had plenty of chances to showcase his skills and nada was shown.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
Naanee has not showed me SQUAT. I would not be shocked if he got cut. Either you know how to catch the darn ball or you don't and last night he was SCARED to lay in front of a ball where he was about to get hit and completely let Tannehill down.

I am sorry, but I have no place for players that can't catch and play scared, experienced NFL receiver or not as he has had plenty of chances to showcase his skills and nada was shown.

The guy looks incredibly stiff.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

Exactly, you catch the dang ball. It's your job.

If the defender trys to deliver a blow to you when you're defenseless then it's a fifteen yard penalty from the spot of the foul.

Catch the ball, take the hit, and worse case scenario you get your bell rung and you add fifteen yards to the play. Bottom line, Naanee cost us a first down because he's a coward.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:23 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

No thank you and I hope we do not trade for James Jones either.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

In addition to Donte' Stallworth, the Dolphins also worked out free agent WRs Mike Sims-Walker and Brian Tyms on Thursday.
The Dolphins are desperate to add talent at the position, but Sims-Walker isn't much of an upgrade at this point in his career. He worked out for the Texans and Titans earlier in the summer, the latter of which was reportedly "not so good."

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

According to the Miami Herald we're very interested in Gaffney and will likely be bringing him in for a workout as well. He had a quad injury that he's been suffering from and it sounds like the Patriots would rather go with someone else who's younger and isn't injured for now. Plus the way things normally work out the Patriots will just cut these two guys and pick them up sometime later in the season when they need them.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:26 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I wouldn't mind Gaffney. He was productive last season.
Sallworth hasn't been Stallworth since before his South Beach incident.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]