All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:44 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I have not been happy with the job Jeff Ireland has done in the past few years. I've seen so many other teams aggressively go after big name free agents, positions of need for the Dolphins, while we did nothing. I hated that we constantly signed cowboys rejects.

The Dolphins did attempt to make a splash by signing Karlos Dansby and Brandon Marshall, but neither have lived up to their potential, or their huge paychecks.

I think Jeff Ireland has drafted pretty well, better than most give him credit for. (With the exception of Pat White).

After watching Hard Knocks, I am learning that even though the Head Coach isnt the GM, he does have a whole lot more influence on the roster than I thought.

So ..... maybe .....

Jeff Ireland had been hindered by the previous coaches inability to assess talent in practice. I remember more than one interview where players said often that Sparano had lazy practices.

Allow me to expand upon a quote from BIll Parcells.....

"If you want me to cook the dinner, at least let me shop for some of the groceries." - Bill Parcells

Well Sparano was trying to cook a dinner, and he really wasnt ready to be a head chef. He gave Ireland a shopping list, and he did his best to fill it, but the recipe just SUCKED.

Philbin seems to know what he is doing, and I think he is cleaning out the roster. I am liking the sound of his recipe so far. He wants to build a class act quality franchise. I think Ireland will benefit from a coach that has a proven system, and his player acquisitions will make a lot more sense because that system will make more sense.

Its going to be hard, because you have to clean out the cupboard first. Yes, ANOTHER rebuild! Still rebuilding! But I think we have a better person in charge than we have had in a long time.

GO Dolphins!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:39 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I think Jeff Ireland has drafted pretty well, better than most give him credit for. (With the exception of Pat White).

Pretty sure White was a Parcell's pick. Ireland was right, V. Davis was an up and down player with no consistancy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:17 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think we will find out what type of GM Ireland is next offseason, we have a 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks. Thatss plenty of picks to build a nice young club.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:23 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

dnice23666 wrote:
I think we will find out what type of GM Ireland is next offseason, we have a 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks. Thatss plenty of picks to build a nice young club.

I get the feeling a lot will change between now and then.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:27 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Ryan Tannehill is going to define Jeff Ireland's tenure eventually.

In the short term, if some of his picks from last year and this year are solid starters by next season then you can deem him a success. My guess is Pouncey and Martin become staples on the line (give Martin some time this year), Clay becomes a very productive target, and Vernon offers good pass rushing skills.

Unfortunately the receivers aren't looking too good but all it takes is one guy to be productive and opinions will change. I'd be happy if Ireland gets Sean Smith an extension as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:35 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

In the short term, if some of his picks from last year and this year are solid starters by next season then you can deem him a success. My guess is Pouncey and Martin become staples on the line (give Martin some time this year), Clay becomes a very productive target, and Vernon offers good pass rushing skills.

Unfortunately the receivers aren't looking too good but all it takes is one guy to be productive and opinions will change. I'd be happy if Ireland gets Sean Smith an extension as well.

Good post. Don't forget Lamar Miller as well and Daniel Thomas looks strong tonight as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:41 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Possibly, but to me it is really Mike Sherman that had the inside track on Tannehill.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:43 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Possibly, but to me it is really Mike Sherman that had the inside track on Tannehill.

Sure, but it shows me that they trust each other and talk, they work as a team which is important.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:46 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:

Good post. Don't forget Lamar Miller as well and Daniel Thomas looks strong tonight as well.

To be honest I haven't seen Miller at all and Thomas has been a bit inconsistent overall. But if those two become kind of like Jacobs/Bradshaw deal then Ireland is the toast of the town.

I honestly hope Jeff Fuller finds his groove and he and Tannehill have a dynamite 10 years+ leading the Fins.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree, but it is hard to say that pick will define Ireland as he had the luxury of having Sherman who was Tannehill's coach and a former NFL coach and credible referral. However, it was a collective effort, so it is all good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:50 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finhead34 wrote:
I agree, but it is hard to say that pick will define Ireland as he had the luxury of having Sherman who was Tannehill's coach and a former NFL coach and credible referral. However, it was a collective effort, so it is all good.

I really wanted Matt Flynn. Looks like Philbin knew better on that one. The Dolphins were in a pretty good position for their QB search.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:55 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I really wanted Matt Flynn.

Whew, nice non signing by the staff. When you look at tape, FLynn's ball hangs in the air.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:59 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Finhead34 wrote:

I would argue the opposite. If we take Ireland at his word, and the rumors that circulated before Sherman's hiring, then there is evidence that Ireland was truly high on Tannehill dating back to before the 2011 season. He made moves to ensure he could draft Tannehill and provide him a comfortable environment (Sherman). He is going to sink or swim with RT.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:25 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Hmmm ... so if Tannehill does not work out then Ireland gets a pass because of Sherman?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Whew, nice non signing by the staff. When you look at tape, FLynn's ball hangs in the air.

That's because he has a noodle where his arm should be.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:36 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Rock Sexton wrote:
Makchell wrote:

That's because he has a noodle where his arm should be.

ya, I never wanted Miami to go after Flynn......we've seen that story of the great backup free agent before (Scott Mitchell, Billy Volek, Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassell)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:18 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Ireland doesn't scout college talent very well.
His niche seems to be scouting athletes who have matured and played professionally.

I hold our coaching staff accountable for the lack of development of Ireland's draft picks. Those players seemed to have a very easy path to playing time.

I believe Philbin & Co. will get the best out of the talent thats on the roster, and the talent that'll be placed on the roster in the future.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]