View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Interesting WR Proposition 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Interesting WR Proposition
Lots of chatter on twitter about rebuilding the WR group. One guy I actually trust and who seems to know his stuff proposed the following:

Would you swap out Wallace, Hartline and Gibson for Torrey Smith (new big money guy), Michael Crabtree (reasonable, short deal) and a 2nd round WR?

To accomplish this would be to completely gut the team of bad contracts and cross your fingers that Billy Turner, Jamar Taylor, Dion Jordan, Anthony Johnson and Michael Thomas (replacing Delmas) are ready to become full time starters.

At face value it sounds exciting but I don't think its financially possible.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:36 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Interesting WR Proposition
I wouldn't pay Torrey Smith ... but I'd def consider bringing in Crabtree.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:21 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

IamPZ wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Cutting Wallace and Hartline (post June 1) saves the team a little under 13 million in cap space. Cutting Gibson saves a little over 3 million so the total package comes to 16 million. If Smith would take Hartline's contract (6 million per year) and Crabtree takes short money (1 year 5 million or 2 years 9 million) you still have 5 million to address draft picks and depth.

In other words, its possible for them to pull it off if they want to go down this path. With the amount of free agent WRs hitting the market and the rumored cuts (Fitzgerald, Johnson, Bowe) it could be a buyer's market.

Is Torrey Smith better than Mike Wallace? Is Michael Crabtree better than Hartline? I think that is a good debate.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:35 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
Cutting Wallace and Hartline (post June 1) saves the team a little under 13 million in cap space. Cutting Gibson saves a little over 3 million so the total package comes to 16 million. If Smith would take Hartline's contract (6 million per year) and Crabtree takes short money (1 year 5 million or 2 years 9 million) you still have 5 million to address draft picks and depth.

In other words, its possible for them to pull it off if they want to go down this path. With the amount of free agent WRs hitting the market and the rumored cuts (Fitzgerald, Johnson, Bowe) it could be a buyer's market.

Is Torrey Smith better than Mike Wallace? Is Michael Crabtree better than Hartline? I think that is a good debate.

Not a big fan of Torrey Smith. Crabtree may be a tad better than Hartline, but he is not someone I am looking to pay BIG money to.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:04 pm

Torrey Smith will likely get paid somewhere along the lines of what Wallace did, at least that's what he'll be looking for, and he's in no way worth that in my eyes.

While it'd be nice to get Crabtree for that extremely team friendly deal, some team out there will be enamored with his potential and give him 3 or 4 years at some ridiculous salary. Sounds ludicrous, but we see it every year.

While I would absolutely love to cut Wallace because I don't think his talent level matches his salary and it certainly doesn't make up for his attitude, I just don't see it happening. Sadly.

I'd rather us pull a Pittsburgh and let Hartline go test the waters, and if he doesn't find anything, come on back for a more team friendly deal.

If he does sign elsewhere, DRAFT TIME.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:12 pm
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

IamPZ wrote:

IMO Smith is one of the most overrated WR in the NFL. Not sure Crabtree is worth touching, thinks he is better than he actually is.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Not sure Crabtree is worth touching, thinks he is better than he actually is.

aka this year's Hakeem Nicks. Its why I think he'll only get a 1-2 year prove it deal.

Actually, Nicks is probably a better option for Miami.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:43 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

IamPZ wrote:
Torrey Smith will likely get paid somewhere along the lines of what Wallace did, at least that's what he'll be looking for, and he's in no way worth that in my eyes.

While it'd be nice to get Crabtree for that extremely team friendly deal, some team out there will be enamored with his potential and give him 3 or 4 years at some ridiculous salary. Sounds ludicrous, but we see it every year.

While I would absolutely love to cut Wallace because I don't think his talent level matches his salary and it certainly doesn't make up for his attitude, I just don't see it happening. Sadly.

I'd rather us pull a Pittsburgh and let Hartline go test the waters, and if he doesn't find anything, come on back for a more team friendly deal.

If he does sign elsewhere, DRAFT TIME.

This year's draft is weak at receiver.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:06 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

I really dont see a scenario where Wallace will not be here next season. All those receivers are a down grade even though they will have the up grade of Tannehill as their QB.
Hopefully Philbin & Wallace can get this worked out.
Its about time this head coach actually talks & relates to his players as well as these players start to mature.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:03 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

No. Stop cutting your own players for the same or less talent. We keep doing that and it doesnt work

Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:43 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Manhattan wrote:
No. Stop cutting your own players for the same or less talent. We keep doing that and it doesnt work

Not only that but it took our own receivers several games to learn Lazor's offense. Hartline never really got it.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:04 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

TommyNoleFin wrote:
This year's draft is weak at receiver.

I disagree with this. I think there is a lot of talent, but only a few guys who can probably step on the field and contribute Day 1.

Problem is if Miami cuts Wallace, Hartline and Gibson only to be replaced by Landry and two rookies then there will be problems moving the ball. There has to be a free agent Plan B if they make bold moves, which is why the original tweet suggested an Ireland type move.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:29 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I've decided we need to just get 5 big fast TE's and get rid of all the WR's that way Tannehill has big bodies with large catch radiuses to throw too.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:16 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

dolphin25 wrote:
I've decided we need to just get 5 big fast TE's and get rid of all the WR's that way Tannehill has big bodies with large catch radiuses to throw too.

Because no WR in the NFL or coming out in the draft is big bodied and has a large catch radius....

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Not sure I get the hate for Torrey Smith or the love for Crabtree here. Smith at least has deep speed. Crabtree is 2 years older, has averaged 721 yards and just over 4 TDs a year. Smith has averaged 898 yards and 7.5 TDs a year. Crabtree has a 4.57 40 time, Smith's is 4.43. What about any of that tells you Crabtree is the guy to sign?

That said, I would only go after Smith if we dump Wallace, which (since it's a stupid idea and we have no viable replacement for him) we probably will do.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:38 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

k-dash wrote:
That said, I would only go after Smith if we dump Wallace, which (since it's a stupid idea and we have no viable replacement for him) we probably will do.

Pretty much the whole point of this discussion. If there is a house cleaning you need a plan B. Is the proposed plan B better than what you currently have? I like Torrey Smith, BUT, I'm not sure how well he'd do as the alpha WR. He put up the least amount of TDs when he didn't have the likes of Boldin, Pitta or Smith drawing attention from opposing defenses.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

You could also spin it around and ask how Miami can open it for Wallace to get more targets. Can only take pressure off of him if the defense has to fear other receivers. A healthy Charles Clay would help, but how about ditching just Hartline and Gibson for a very good #2 receiver? That is probably a more realistic scenario if Tannenbaum/Hickey tell Philbin to make it work.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Mike Wallace can get open deep whenever he wants. It really is that easy for him. He's not here to have pressure taken off of him, he is here to take pressure off the other guys. All you need to do is hurl it down a few times a game and everything underneath just all the sudden opens up. Sounds easy right?

Wrong... Tannehill couldn't hit a dump truck >25 yards. That makes Wallace incompatible with his QB. One of them has to go.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ski_Money wrote:
Mike Wallace can get open deep whenever he wants. It really is that easy for him. He's not here to have pressure taken off of him, he is here to take pressure off the other guys. All you need to do is hurl it down a few times a game and everything underneath just all the sudden opens up. Sounds easy right?

Wrong... Tannehill couldn't hit a dump truck >25 yards. That makes Wallace incompatible with his QB. One of them has to go.

Is this a serious response?

Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:

Of course, you honestly HAVE to consider dumping Tannehill, especially amidst a great QB free agent market with Mark Sanchez and Jay Cutler, over Mike Wallace all because the deep game has been subpar. Or better yet, we can trade the draft for unknowns like Rapeis Jameis or Mariota.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:

Of course, you honestly HAVE to consider dumping Tannehill, especially amidst a great QB free agent market with Mark Sanchez and Jay Cutler, over Mike Wallace all because the deep game has been subpar. Or better yet, we can trade the draft for unknowns like Rapeis Jameis or Mariota.

I was semi-serious to see if it was sarcasm. And I have zero problem with the critique of Tannehill's deep ball and hesitation to throw it.

But this idea that Wallace can simply get open at will would suggest that he should have had 20-30 TD catches per year in Pittsburgh. I mean if he's open that often combined with Big Ben's accuracy shouldn't it have equaled at least a score per game?

Outside of Landry in the slot and a gimpy Clay which receiver did defenses have to worry about? If you get a quality option who can produce good YAC and every so often get behind the secondary then it takes a lot of pressure off Wallace. He doesn't have to work as hard to get open and can be fed more passes. That isn't happening with Hartline and Gibson lining up across the field.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

To expand a bit, in Pittsburgh Wallace had the luxury of some good pieces in his WR group. Hines Ward, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Heath Miller provided some great options for Big Ben. Defenses had to game plan for several targets rather than just take away the deep threat. It would be great for Wallace if Clay comes back healthy and better receiver was out on the field with Wallace. That was the point of my suggestion.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Smith would be as poor of a fit as Wallace is. One trick ponies.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:57 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Word is Miami was putting heavy focus on studying WRs at the Sr Bowl.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:15 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Saw this write up and would love to add Larry Fitzgerald.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2336 ... every-team

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:17 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

That would be awesome Jammer, now let;s hope our high round DBs and OL pan out.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
That would be awesome Jammer, now let;s hope our high round DBs and OL pan out.

We all know Miami needs a viable Plan B if they part with Wallace. I used to advocate for them to sign a vet so at least you know what you're getting but it doesn't appear they are using that approach to fill needs. All of the comments we've read and heard point to developing their own talent and staying young.

My guess right now is they cut Wallace, Gibson and Matthews (the so called problem people). Some of that money brings back Clay who along with Hartline (restructured) and Landry gives Tannehill some familiar faces. They then double dip in the draft. If they can't get one of the big 4 in the first round (Cooper, Parker, White, Strong) then they maybe go for a guy like Dorsett in Round 2 (new stretch the field threat) and guys like Tony Lippett or Austin Hill in rounds 3 or 4 (bigger, red zone targets).

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:08 pm

I just don't see Wallace panning out if we keep him.

Landry will likely take over that #1 spot and be getting all the targets, then what? He goes pouting to the sideline because he's not getting the ball?

Jarvis Landry is our best play maker at WR... not Mike Wallace.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:26 pm

IamPZ wrote:
I just don't see Wallace panning out if we keep him.

Landry will likely take over that #1 spot and be getting all the targets, then what? He goes pouting to the sideline because he's not getting the ball?

Jarvis Landry is our best play maker at WR... not Mike Wallace.

I think Landry will stay in the slot, he proved to be a hack of a slot WR, however he avg less than 10yds per reception, Wallace is still the big play waiting to happen, he made a lot of big plays for us this year, it wouldn't be fair to Landry to ask him to be something he's not, like we did with Hartline.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Landry would make a fine #2 playing opposite a Kevin White or Devante Parker.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rtwelve1965 wrote:
Saw this write up and would love to add Larry Fitzgerald.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2336 ... every-team

The Deflatriots already made cap room for him. Billicheat has been drooling for Fitzgerald for years.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I have an interesting proposition. Cut everyone but Landry and start over. Draft 3, sign Crabtree and go. Makes sense to me.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:00 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Ski_Money wrote:
I have an interesting proposition. Cut everyone but Landry and start over. Draft 3, sign Crabtree and go. Makes sense to me.

Except for the fact that when Tannehill threw to Wallace his rating was over 100, hard to replace that.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

That sure did put points on the board too didn't it. For 28 million dollars worth of WR's, they sure do suck.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:11 pm

Ski_Money wrote:

Not so opposed to that. I think Landry is someone who you can build the receiving corp. around.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]