View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Dez Bryant: 'I'm not a bad person' 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dez Bryant: 'I'm not a bad person'
Quote:
"All of it is just rumors," Bryant said in an interview Thursday with Orlando Alzugaray of WQAM (560-AM). "I don't know why people are saying those things. I feel like if you're going to write something about somebody you need to ask that person instead of writing things like that. I surround myself with positive people. I don't have time to get into trouble. I'm trying to pursue my dream, which is to play in the NFL. ... I never did anything wrong. I never committed a crime.

"It bothers me a lot," he said. "I just had a talk with my advisor and my agent [Wednesday], and I told them that I'm not a bad person and I'm not used to people saying bad things about me. I like to make people smile. I like to bring excitement because that's what I do, and I want to keep it that way. I don't want a bad image. My bad image in my childhood, that is long gone. I've surrounded myself with bright people and I'm going to continue to stay out of trouble and move forward and play in the NFL."

Bryant also dismissed reports that he's shown up late for practices and games.

"I've never been late to a game or a practice. My freshman year, I've been late for a meeting. But as my career got going at Oklahoma State I [became more responsible]. I overcame a lot. Everything is positive now."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:35 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Dez Bryant: 'I'm not a bad person'
Nope. Just a lazy one.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:38 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

JP, just like with Vontae Davis, do your homework on the kid. You busting up Dez just like you busted up Vontae early in the process.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:48 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
Nope. Just a lazy one.

Yeah... lazy and conceited. He's not even drafted and he's making noise already... comparing himself to all star football players...

For some reason I don't get a good feeling about this kid.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:34 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dez Bryant wrote:
"All of it is just rumors. I don't know why people are saying those things."

It sounds like he's in denial. I'd rather he say that he made some mistakes and wants to put them behind him and move forward. He'll just repeat what he did in college with a pro team.

I'm with Phins Rock on this. The kid has some real problems.

ESPN Insider wrote:
The NCAA suspended Bryant for the final 10 games of the 2009 season for lying to an NCAA investigator who was looking into Bryant's off-season meeting with former NFL player Deion Sanders. Multiple NFL scouts have told us that Bryant comes from a difficult home situation and as a result comes with some emotional baggage.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/dra ... r?id=25715

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This is a kid that has not been arrested and does not have any type of criminal past. And yes, he has had a difficult youth, thanks to having a mom that was a drug dealer and a dad that was not around when his mother was put in prison.

Like Vontae, there were concerns. Phins was anti Vontae for a while and Dave, if I am not mistaken, you were on that boat as well.

Don't be so quick to make a final decision on a kid, especially one that has no criminal record, but has made some judgement mistakes. Mistakes we all make as youth.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:48 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
Like Vontae, there were concerns.

I don't remember Vontae's problems being this much of a concern. People said there may be issues, but everyone was speculating as to what it was. All I know is there are a lot of media experts whom I respect that are saying to stay away.

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins was anti Vontae for a while and Dave, if I am not mistaken, you were on that boat as well.

You'll have to refresh my memory on that. It's news to me. I went to the University of Illinois before tansferring to NC State, so, I remember being excited to have a Fighting Illini on the team.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

One good year and since hasn't done anything. He shouldn't even be considered in the top 15, let alone the top 10...

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:05 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dez Bryant had a very solid freshman year and had a very big sophmore year. He played in 3 games before the suspension for the rest of the year.

43 catches, 622 yards, 14.5 per catch, 6 TD, freshman
87 catches, 1480 yards, 17.0 per catch, 19 TD, sophmore
17 catches, 323 yards, 19.0 per catch, 4 TD, junior

147 catches, 2,425 yards, 29 TD, career at OSU

We all have our opinions though.

Last edited by phinsfansc on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:18 pm

I am not questioning his ability, and iowa, I don't think anybody could possible come up with a reason for him not to be a top 15 pick if you are just going off of production. He has been a big time WR his whole career, and has incredible talent.

Tony, the Vontae Davis stuff was speculation, and looking back on it, apparently made up. This Dez Bryant stuff is real; his own teammates are saying things like they were scared he wouldn't show up to games, he sometimes didn't show up to practice, or warm-ups, or class....and that's not a big issue?

The guy thinks he's all that, and that's without making a dime for what he does. Give him a multi-million dollar deal, that much more fame, and bring him to South Beach, and I want to see him not be the same way, if not worse.

Not only is he lazy and doesn't give a rat's you-know-what about the team, but he's even cockier than Vontae was made out to be last year. "I'm the next Larry Fitzgerald"...where does a college kid get off saying that??

Sorry Tony, I want to love the guy because he is every bit, and I'd argue more talented than Crabtree was las year, and certainly the best WR to come out since Calvin Johnson back in 07, but with this type of baggage, he has Mike Williams written all over him; granted, he may not have the off the field issues that Mike had, but when you talk about the attitude and the ego that he has.........Absolutely pass.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:30 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Some of the stuff with Vontae was real. Ron Zook did bench him for a game to prove a point to Vontae. The only other thing Vontae was guilty of is being cocky and having swag, but that was twisted into him having an attitude problem. He even got caught up in those false allegations that hit Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews, and like those kids it was not true with Vontae.

And I have stated that there are some concerns with Dez, some immaturity issues that he needs to address. He manned up and admitted he panicked and lied to the NCAA in regards to his dinner with the NCAA because he thought it might have been a violation.

But he is not even approaching some of the legitimate, documented stuff like there was out there in regards to Percy Harvin. I believe Bryant is very much like Vontae and the nonsense that was swirling around him.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I am not questioning his ability, and iowa, I don't think anybody could possible come up with a reason for him not to be a top 15 pick if you are just going off of production. He has been a big time WR his whole career, and has incredible talent.

Well that's just it...it's not just his production that I'm questioning. And he hasn't been a big time WR his whole career...just for one year. Yeah, he was pretty good his freshman year, but certainly not big time.

But it's been the fact that he gets suspended (rightfully or not) and starts talking about how it doesn't matter he's all that, but then he doesn't perform at the combine, or at a pro day. It raises big concerns for me if I'm a GM.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:46 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Well that's just it...it's not just his production that I'm questioning. And he hasn't been a big time WR his whole career...just for one year. Yeah, he was pretty good his freshman year, but certainly not big time.

But it's been the fact that he gets suspended (rightfully or not) and starts talking about how it doesn't matter he's all that, but then he doesn't perform at the combine, or at a pro day. It raises big concerns for me if I'm a GM.

The kid owned up to lying about the situation with Deion. You look at Bryant numbers over his career at OSU, they are very solid.

If you want to question his character, that one thing. But the kid is a talent and was productive at OSU.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Can Miami afford to take a chance with the #12 over all pick in the first round on this guy? That is the question. Miami absolutely has to find 3 to 4 starters in this coming draft. This first round pick has to be a can't miss type pick. BP and company would have to be 100% certain this kid is going to be a legit #1 WR with zero baggage to justify using the #12 overall pick on him. If not then look at filling the OLB, NT or S needs with this pick.

Miami needs this first round pick to come in and contribute like V Davis or Jake Long not like Jason Allen or Ted Ginn.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

The kid owned up to lying about the situation with Deion. You look at Bryant numbers over his career at OSU, they are very solid.

If you want to question his character, that one thing. But the kid is a talent and was productive at OSU.

What do you think I'm questioning?

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:36 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Iowafin, from reading what you have posted, I get the impression you are questioning both his talent and his character.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:41 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Well, I guess we can add his decision making ability to the list of concerns also. Apparently he was at the work out today of one Adam "Pac Man" Jones.

Not smart Dez, not very smart at all. It was reported on the NFL Network.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:21 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
Well, I guess we can add his decision making ability to the list of concerns also. Apparently he was at the work out today of one Adam "Pac Man" Jones.

Not smart Dez, not very smart at all. It was reported on the NFL Network.

That was a stupid move on his part. How could he be claiming that he isn't a bad guy, that he's mature, and all that, and then he gets himself involved with a guy like Pac Man?? Does he want to fall out of the first round??

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:23 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This guy is going to come into to the NFL angry and seeking redemption. He will light it up big time. He has all the tools and the doubters are just going to give him fuel to burn. But hey, we have Ted Ginn already....no needs at WR....

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:39 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FrustratedFinFan, I'm with you on Dez Bryant for the most part, but darn dude. Is it asking to much for the kid to surround himself with people that will not feed into the negative perception of him.

Why in the hell would you be involved with Adam Jones in any way.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

People are crucifying Dez Bryant before he even enters the NFL. We are all "speculating" on this kid and how he will act or wont act once he gets drafted. I completely understand all the concerns, but I would like to hope that he hires the right people to surround him and that he proves everyone wrong. He is a young kid that needs guidance and whomever drafts this kid, needs to get someone to take him under their wing immediately.

He has tremendous talent and so much upside to become an elite receiver in the NFL. I watched him play during his high years while he played at Lufkin and he was something else from an early age on. If Miami decided to take him with the first pick, I would welcome him as a fan and really pull for a success story.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:15 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

He isn't helping his cause by working out with Pacman Jones.

Quote:
Dez Bryant reportedly attended a Friday workout hosted by former NFL defensive back Pacman Jones, according to NFL.com.

Our View: Uhh, what? Bryant is either making the most brilliant out-of-nowhere moves in the history of the NFL draft, or continuing to engage in baffling self sabotage. The latter seems far more likely.

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player.php ... &nid=74648

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:28 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah, I agree, probably not the smartest move to attach your name to as you start your career in the NFL.

Hopefully, Pacman is remorseful for his actions and has taken on a new attitude as he tries to reenter the NFL.

It is amazing to me that some of these athletes that seemingly have everything going for them, just mess up with stupid choices. Pacman messed up how many times??? He is absolutely even lucky that he can still have a chance to play this game.

There are so many instances to use as example, but how would you like to be Plaxico Burress and go from catching the game winning Superbowl touchdown to a 7 X 9 jail cell. I mean bringing a gun to a public night club???? That is truly amazing that some of these guys just throw away their NFL career, yet it keeps happening over and over.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:37 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Finhead wrote:
People are crucifying Dez Bryant before he even enters the NFL.

He kind of crucified himself.

I love his talent, but his baggage raises a big red flag. I'd rather we not have to deal with him, but if we draft him I'll hold out hope for him. He will be a heck of a lot of work to keep in line ... especially with overall #12 money. I expect to see him fail NFL drug tests in his future.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:59 am
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
Finhead wrote:
People are crucifying Dez Bryant before he even enters the NFL.

He kind of crucified himself.

I love his talent, but his baggage raises a big red flag. I'd rather we not have to deal with him, but if we draft him I'll hold out hope for him. He will be a heck of a lot of work to keep in line ... especially with overall #12 money. I expect to see him fail NFL drug tests in his future.

I can see the same type of thing too Dave.

Finhead, do not let his emmense talent cloud your judgement and allow you to just throw aside his character concerns. He is a lazy, me-me-me and how about some more me, guy, that doesn't care about his team, his teammates, or anything other than, you guessed it, himself.

Like I've said, he's the best WR to come out since Calvin Johnson talent wise, but off the field wise.....pass.

It's almost like he's a Dallas Cowboy fan or something and he is purposely trying to lower his stock so that he falls to them, or whoever he wants to play for in the 20s....It's getting ridiculous. Who is this guy's agent??

Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:42 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Phins Rock wrote:
Who is this guy's agent??

Eugene Parker. He also represents last years prima donna WR/Deion Sanders disciple, Michael Crabtree.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:16 pm

TxDolfan wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Who is this guy's agent??

Eugene Parker. He also represents last years prima donna WR Michael Crabtree.

Go figure.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]