View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Concussions! 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Concussions!
What are your opinions on concussions?
With all the negative attention on concussions will it be the death of the sport we love?
Do you feel enough is being done to protect the player?
Should the NFL be sued for paying millions of dollars to players for what they want to do?

In my opinion, I feel the NFL is doing everything that they can to protect the players and it is an ongoing process to help the players. I don't feel the NFL should be held responsible for concussions at all. The players know that this is a part of the game and are paid millions to play the game.

I don't mean to come off mean and uncaring about the concussion situation but these players knew exactly what all the possibilities of injury were from the onset ( maybe ). But maybe they didn't know that putting on a helmet and running full steam and hitting another player at full steam wouldn't cause any damage to themselves or others.

Ok just wanted to see how other fans feel about this. I sure hope that this situation doesn't kill the sport that I love.

Fri May 11, 2012 1:10 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Concussions!
As a former coach in pop warner I got out of it because of what I saw. Despite lip service by football organizations, crown of the helmet hits are still rewarded with the atta boy behind the scenes. They train officials and coaches on what is a "legal" football hit. The head has to be up, not down. Despite this, I watched game after game where some kid would lower his helmet, blast some other kid in the ear hole to the delight of his coaches and fans, then sit through a 45 minute delay because the paramedics work on a class 3 concussion....all this for 11-13 year old kids. Most often this occurs without even a penalty. This happens at every level of the sport. Until it is taken as seriously as "pay for play" then it will continue to happen.

BTW, some hits with shoulders can produce concussions, just not the kind and severity that leading with the crown of the helmet has produced. While our sport isn't in jeopardy, there definately needs to be a major intervention in this area.

Fri May 11, 2012 1:50 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This is always a touchy subject. You don't have to look much further than Twitter posts over the last couple years from current and former players to see the widely differing views on the subject, even from those that were on the field taking or administering the hits.

With the amount of time and money being spent on brain and concussion research now, breakthroughs will start being made very frequently in brain function before and after big hits and concussions.

If the NFL is hell bent on taking a "player safety" stand, then 18 games has to be off the table.

Also, if the NFL is the entity always being sued, then the NFL should have their own medical teams at each game to test players before they go back onto the field after a big hit.

I'd also like each and every NFL player get some sort of brain scan/MRI-thing to find a baseline of each and every one of their scans so that doctors can monitor changes. Players should get them every year. And after every hit that warrants a concussion review by the NFL's onsite medical team, whether they're allowed to go back onto the field or not.

Without long-term, thorough, studies, everyone's just stabbing in the dark.

I've held the position before, that these guys go into this pro game knowing what's going to happen, much like a person smoking cigarettes, and they get paid quite a bit of money for their risk. But those old Mike Webster interviews from the 1980s make me cringe every time.

I know Roddy White wants to sound tough about "players knowing the risks." But it only takes one hit to change someone's mind.

If the NFL is really serious about this, go do it, and don't let some team's doctors throw a wobbly-legged player back onto the field, and don't let him go back out on his own. But if they don't have constant scans of the player's brain, they won't know if he's been damaged or not.

They've got to start somewhere.

Fri May 11, 2012 2:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If you make it too difficult for a guy to return to the field after a concussion, you may actually see an uptick in hard hits because of the ability to knock a guy out of the game(s) for a long while. I think you have to find a balance between player safety and the product on the field. Something must be done, more than currently is, but not so far that we are playing flag football with a bunch of power puffs. At some point the phrase 'acceptable risk' enters the conversation; where that happens will vary person by person.

Fri May 11, 2012 2:33 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

These are the same former NFL players that played the game knowing that on any give play they could be paralyzed, permanently hobbled, or even killed. But they still signed up because they wanted the money and fame. I guarantee you had these same players been made aware of the risks that we all know about today, they still would have walked up to that podium and held up that jersey with a million dollar smile on their faces. It's obvious that these players only care about themselves and not the game that paid them millions of dollars. They should feel fortunate to have been able to do what they did and get paid that much money. Because the alternatives to playing in the NFL for most of them would have meant flipping burgers or living on welfare.

Fri May 11, 2012 3:52 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Cops, firefighters, and soldiers risks their lives everyday and get paid much less.

One minute players are bashing Roger Goodell for suspending players that are delivering illegal hits, the next minute they try and sue the NFL because the repercussions of those hits. Bunch of hypocrisy.

Fri May 11, 2012 5:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Rose then asked Taylor about if JT would allow his own kids to play football, specifically if he would allow them to play tackle football before high school. Taylor responded, "Well, we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now, I have a nine year old and an eight year old, and, they do not play football. I won't let them play yet.

"I think it's too early. Too much that can go wrong. Too many issues right now. And I think the youth sports has really changed, particularly from where I grew up in Pittsburgh. Youth sports down here now, it's five or six days a week, and I don't understand the...the Weston Warriors, they have a conditioning camp for a month. Like a ten year old needs to go out and condition. Like they're professional athletes. Really?

"You have to run sprints, and do pushups, and get yelled at and screamed at? You hear these youth coaches cussing at these ten year old kids. It's just become ridiculous. And the schedule, and the wear and tear they are putting these kids through is becoming ridiculous

Sat May 12, 2012 2:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Not to slight the topic of concussions, but it is a tricky topic as football has been played forever with a lot worse equipment back in the years past, but now the equipment is improving, but the challenge that keeps going along with it is that the players continue to get bigger, stronger and faster too.

I think ANY parent understands the risk of allowing their child to play a contact sport and MOST all male athletes that choose to come up playing football will be subject to injury as that has never changed, so that will always be a personal choice among that family, but football is a darn great sport to play and hopefully, all through the different ages of football that coaches continue to get smarter on how they teach and equipment keeps getting even more advanced.

Sat May 12, 2012 6:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I just hope this doesn't end the sport. Greed is at the root of this, not the fans or teams we all love. Believe me, these former players care nothing about the league that paid them so richly, nor the fans that made this all possible.

Sun May 13, 2012 4:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
I just hope this doesn't end the sport. Greed is at the root of this, not the fans or teams we all love. Believe me, these former players care nothing about the league that paid them so richly, nor the fans that made this all possible.

That's painting with a pretty broad brush. That's true of all of them? None of them have a legitimate complaint? Truth is rarely that simple.

Mon May 14, 2012 2:59 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

These are the same former NFL players that played the game knowing that on any give play they could be paralyzed, permanently hobbled, or even killed. But they still signed up because they wanted the money and fame. I guarantee you had these same players been made aware of the risks that we all know about today, they still would have walked up to that podium and held up that jersey with a million dollar smile on their faces.

'Nuff said.

:awe:

Mon May 14, 2012 5:54 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

That's painting with a pretty broad brush. That's true of all of them? None of them have a legitimate complaint? Truth is rarely that simple.

I'm not saying all former NFL players are that way. Some are incredibly generous and are pillars of their community. Jason Taylor is a shining example of that. Former players do a lot of good and things like that shouldn't be overlooked.

What I'm simply pointing out is that these guys should not be seeking financial compensation that could bankrupt the league, rather they should be seeking medical help for the injuries they sustained. I think health care compensation would be the apropriate resolution for this. Also, helping players to become aware of their injuries and helping them transition into life after football would be a great idea as well. Don't get me wrong, I think something should be done about this. But I think it should be medically based and not financially based. If a retired player needs to see doctors regularly, then I think the NFL should help them. If they need a caretaker or have severe physical and mental needs, then I also think the NFL should help. I'm pretty sure these guys can afford good medical care or the league is already giving them a good healthcare package. If the league is willing to take their health care benefits one step ahead, and raise awareness about concussions, then I think that would be a generous thing for them to do. In fact, it might just be the right thing to do. But handing over big amounts of cash, no way.

Tue May 15, 2012 7:45 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

What I'm simply pointing out is that these guys should not be seeking financial compensation that could bankrupt the league, rather they should be seeking medical help for the injuries they sustained. I think health care compensation would be the apropriate resolution for this. Also, helping players to become aware of their injuries and helping them transition into life after football would be a great idea as well. Don't get me wrong, I think something should be done about this. But I think it should be medically based and not financially based. If a retired player needs to see doctors regularly, then I think the NFL should help them. If they need a caretaker or have severe physical and mental needs, then I also think the NFL should help. I'm pretty sure these guys can afford good medical care or the league is already giving them a good healthcare package. If the league is willing to take their health care benefits one step ahead, and raise awareness about concussions, then I think that would be a generous thing for them to do. In fact, it might just be the right thing to do. But handing over big amounts of cash, no way.[/quote]

Very good comment! 2 thumbs up.

Wed May 16, 2012 5:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Why are they not faulting college football? No lawsuit against the NCAA, High School, or Pop Warner

What about boxing. That sport is all about concussions.

Sun May 20, 2012 4:20 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

[quote="Kev1321"]Why are they not faulting college football? No lawsuit against the NCAA, High School, or Pop Warner

I hear ya. Why their trying to fault anyone but themselves is crazy to me! They did not have to play the game. Their choice.

Sun May 20, 2012 7:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]