View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Do the Phins have Enough at WR. 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Do the Phins have Enough at WR.
Quote:
According to rookie head coach Joe Philbin, the West Coast offense doesn’t need a star, No. 1 target. But projected starters Brian Hartline and Devone Bess and possibly Legadu Naanee could be put in roles bigger than what they are used to.

Miami traded Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall to the Chicago Bears in the offseason. The Dolphins expect to throw the ball a lot with a new West Coast offense, probably more than last year, despite a group with a lot to prove.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... -set-at-wr

I disagree that Hartline and Bess are in over their heads...As a matter of fact i think that Bess is as good as Welker any day of the week. Hartline is a very solid player and could easily have a break out season with a little focus on getting him the ball.

With the new offense using the TE and RB as a receiver more It will take the redzone load and possession catches that Marshall was used for.

Losing Marshall is not a death sentence for this group of wideouts. I think between Gates, Wallace, or Moore having another year. We will be just fine.

Last edited by Kev1321 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:37 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Do the Phins have enough at wr.
We will have to see who emerges from the log jam of UDFA, late round picks and Roberto Wallace and Moore. I currently see Hartline, Bess and Naanee as the starters. I haven't seen Clyde Gates do anything yet...this will be his year to sink or swim. Bess plays his heart out, but he seems to always be catching the ball short of the sticks and he goes down on the first contact. He doesn't have great moves either. I prefer Naanee to Bess. It is possible Bess ends up the odd man out when the regular season starts. He certainly will remain a Dolphin, but he might not be a starter.

Last edited by FrustratedFinFan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Armando,

You're just as bad in leading the charge. I read your article this morning talking about if Tannehill is to succeed let's get him some WRs. Huh? None of us know how Philbin is going to utilize the current crop of WRs we have. None of us! We also don't know what we've got in some of the guys we have, Gates specifically. Guy had NO chance to show what he could do last year, with no mini-camps and a shortened training camp. It was clear he wasn't ready for the pro game. We also need to see more from Moore and Wallace. It takes WR about three years in this league to develop and become something. Guys that think the only way to go at WR is 1st and 2nd round picks, need to take a good hard look at the guys that have flopped in this league, taken in one of the top three rounds. Ask a Lions fan about that one and all the top ten picks they had at WR. Stevie Johnson, Victor Cruz, Colston, Welker and even our own Bess are great examples of guys that weren't drafted or were drafted very late. Brandon Marshall who everyone wants to continue to go on about was a 4th round pick.
None of us know how the two guys drafted yesterday or the guys from last year will pan out. Can we at least wait a year before we start calling for an influx of high draft pick WRs.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
We will have to see who emerges from the log jam of UDFA, late round picks and Roberto Wallace and Moore. I see Hartline, Bess and Naanee as the starters. I haven't seen Clyde Gates do anything yet...this will be his year to sink or swim. Bess plays his heart out, but he seems to always be catching the ball short of the sticks and he goes down on the first contact. He doesn't have great moves either. I prefer Naanee to Bess. It is possible Bess ends up the odd man out when the regular season starts. He certainly will remain a Dolphin, but he might not be a starter.

Naanee don't impress me to much. I see him being outplayed by guys already on the roster. He has been on two teams with great qb's and not done much. Just my opinion

I will add improved qb play will make all these guys look better as well as the team as a whole.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

San Diego had better WR talent than Naanee. Miami, not so much.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
It doesn't help matters when the biggest offseason addition to the unit is Legedu Naanee, who ProFootballFocus.com rated the worst active receiver in the NFL last season

Quote:
There are 12 receivers competing for five or six spots on the team's 53-man roster, and undrafted players like Jeff Fuller and Derek Moye have just as much of a chance to make it as B.J. Cunningham and Rishard Matthews, the team's two late-round draft picks.

That's how Roberto Wallace and Marlon Moore got on the roster two years ago as undrafted rookies. The Dolphins cut Patrick Turner, a 2009 third-round pick to keep them. The Dolphins have been developing the duo just for this opportunity.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Sun May 27, 2012 4:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He doesn't have great moves either.

I am lost for words on that comment...evidently to me, if you've been to a game in Bess' stint with Miami, you've been roasting up in the nose bleeds. There is no way in hell anyone who has seen Bess' production in games makes a statement like you just did. You're out of your mind. The only difference between him and Welker is slight speed and more established and utilized as a target. I am still puzzled about that...wow...his "moves" are the greatest quality he has, and that is miles away from being a bad thing.

Wed May 30, 2012 7:58 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
At the present moment, based on what I’ve SEEN WITH MY OWN EYES, and heard WITH MY OWN EARS from the Dolphins’ OTAs….these are Miami’s top five receivers.

1. Davone Bess, who usually mans the slot.

2. Brian Hartline, a two-year starter, who is sidelined by an undisclosed knee or leg issue.

3. Legedu Naanee, a savvy route runner with impressive size, but questionable productivity in his first five seasons.

4. Roberto Wallace, a big, physical, fast receiver with upside, but durability issues.

5. Marlon Moore, a deceptively quick route runner, who is quarterback friendly.

Clyde Gates, the team’s fourth-round pick in 2011, doesn’t make the My Fav Five because he’s been invisible during the OTA sessions the media has attended, and NOBODY is talking about the impact he’s making.

Could things change for Gates once the pads go on, and the team gets a bit more physical with press coverage. Certainly! But even Joe Philbin admits Gates is a fast receiver who is presently playing slow RIGHT NOW.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... ivers.html

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, I haven't seen 'em play yet, but I got a feeling that Rishard Mathews will be quite a player. Can he be that number 1 guy? I don't know, but my gut tells me he can make quite an impact.
The guys that I think will make the team (or who I'd like to see make it)
Bess, Hartline, Matthews, Gates, Cunningham and Naanee

Moore and Fuller are garbage. Wallace might make the cut due to his special teams, but the other guys I think bring more offensively.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:
Well, I haven't seen 'em play yet, but I got a feeling that Rishard Mathews will be quite a player. Can he be that number 1 guy? I don't know, but my gut tells me he can make quite an impact.
The guys that I think will make the team (or who I'd like to see make it)
Bess, Hartline, Matthews, Gates, Cunningham and Naanee

Moore and Fuller are garbage. Wallace might make the cut due to his special teams, but the other guys I think bring more offensively.

Hopefully Gates starts playing better

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:23 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:

Coach says he doesnt need a No 1 guy

:fart:

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:22 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Do the Phins have Enough at WR.
I think the receiver battle will turn out to be more productive than signing any one of these diva receivers. We don't need guys begging for the ball and breaking up what we're trying to do at the position, which is spread the ball around. We don't need an 80-90 catch guy, we just need four to five guys capable of grabbing 40-50 catches. Between Gates, Wallace, Moore, Cunningham, Matthews, Moye, and Fuller we just need one or two guys to be able to step up and play. Bess, Hartline, and Nannee will do the rest.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:48 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Coach says he doesnt need a No 1 guy

:fart:

And he's full of crap.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]