All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:09 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

It will be interesting as to what Miami does. No matter what they do, I'm sure going forward it will prove to be the wrong move.

Quote:
Two of the deepest draft-day slides in recent memory came from a pair of quarterbacks, Brady Quinn in 2007 and Aaron Rodgers in 2005, who fell all the way out of the Top 20. At least one NFL executive thinks a third quarterback could join that group on Thursday night.

Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill will be the third quarterback off the board, after Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, but he could fall much further than most people expect, according to an executive who talked to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com.

“The one that’s gonna shake things up is Tannehill,” the high-ranking AFC personnel chief said. “I don’t think a lot of teams think of him as a first-round pick. I can see a situation where he doesn’t go at all in the top 20. That’s really going to change things. You got a guy who started for a year and a half. He hasn’t really been, from a team perspective, a winning quarterback. He’s got good numbers, there’s a lot of things there (to like). But they lost a lot of games in the fourth quarter. Why is he not pulling things out? Why are they losing games?”

If “a lot of teams” view Tannehill as less than a first-round pick, that could be a problem for him. However, it only takes one team to pull the trigger on Tannehill high in the first round. Many observers think the Dolphins — whose offensive coordinator, Mike Sherman, was Tannehill’s college coach — will be that team that takes Tannehill at No. 8. So Miami could be the team that stops Tannehill from falling too far.

The flip side of that is if the Dolphins pass on Tannehill, it could scare other teams away. That’s a scenario being floated by another NFL decision maker.

“If Miami doesn’t grab him, and they got Mike Sherman there, the teams behind them are going to start questioning, what the hell are we doing taking him?” he said. “If his own coach won’t take him, why are we taking him?”

Tannehill will hope that’s a question no one needs to ask on Thursday night.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think last year demonstrated that the new salary rules for rookies make it more likely that not only will he go at #8 but it's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone else goes in the first round after him.

If he slides it won't be past KC at #11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think there may be something to this article, if we pass on Tannehill then I think it could result in a slide for him. Rodgers slid in 2005 because he lacked the right amount of experience like Tannehill. If the Dolphins trade back into the teens, then they're basically daring teams like KC, Seattle, and Philly to make a move. I think there is a fair chance the Dolphins could trade back and still get Tannehill

KC - They already have Cassell, Quinn, and Stanzi who they drafted last year. So the Chiefs already have a kid they're grooming behind Cassell. There is a good chance the Chiefs are happy with their quarterback situation for this year. Or at least happy enough to pass on a project like Tannehill in the 1st round and take an offensive lineman or other area of need.

Seattle - They just signed Matt Flynn to compete with Tavaris Jackson and take over the starting job. They paid Flynn a lot of money. It wasn't too long ago that they gave Jackson a pretty hefty contract as well. On top of that they have a young prospect in Josh Portis that they're looking to groom as well. So if the Seahawks draft Tannehill then what message does that send to Flynn and Jackson??? Everyone knows Tannehill will likely need a season to be ready, and in 2013 there is a very good chance he'll be someone's starting quarterback. I don't think the Seahawks want to tick off their new prized free agent signing and likely starter. I think they'll pass on Tannehill as well.

Philadelphia - Their GM has said they are all in on Mike Vick. They also already have Vince Young on the bench behind Vick. So they have a legitimate top 15 quarterback in Vick and a solid backup in Vince Young. Add to this the fact that the Eagles are in win now mode. They spent a lot of money in free agency last year, they want to make the playoffs and make a run at a title with this team. They will need someone who can step in and contribute with their first round pick. The chances of Tannehill being able to step in and replace Vick anytime soon are slim. I seriously doubt the Eagles want Tannehill.

After those three teams I really don't see a threat to the Dolphins other than the Browns trading up for Tannehill. But again the Browns are a team with many needs and if they want to find competition for McCoy, a guy who they like, they'll likely find it in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft. I believe they will use their two first round picks to add weapons to the offense. I could easily see them taking Richardson at 4 and a wideout or offensive lineman at 22.

Bottom line, I don't buy all of they hype about other teams being overly interested in Tannehill. I think they all like the kid, but I doubt they are serious enough to spend a top fifteen pick on the guy. The only team I see using a top ten pick on Tannehill is the Dolphins. There is a good chance if Ireland and Philbin are willing to roll the dice that they could trade back 3 to 6 spots that they could add picks and still get Tannehill. But thats only if they are feeling lucky. It would be a huge risk to take espeically if we are sold on Tannehill. You always want to squeeze the most value you can out of your first round pick, but not at the risk of not getting your franchise quarterback prospect.

Draft Day will be an interesting one, more so than years past for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:12 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If we pass on him and he slides into the 20's. We better make darn sure we trade back up to get him.. Which begs the question. Why risk it to begin with. Why not draft him at 8. Or even trade back to the late teens and then draft him if he is still around. And if not. Nick Perry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

The good news is that Thursday is almost here, so we can finally put all the speculation aside.

Personally, I have a gut feeling that Miami won't take Tannehill at #8. If that happens, Tannehill could slide to late first round.

Miami could trade down and take him later. But if they believe in him, that's pretty risky.

I don't think that KC, Seattle, and Philly are going to draft Tannehill. Cleveland might use their 2nd
1st round pick on him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:12 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If Ireland doesn't get Tannehill, he'll be fired at the end of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1984phins wrote:

That is a pretty bold statement. I'm not too sure I'd believe that just yet. A lot can happen between now and the end of the season, I would say Ireland has a 90% or better chance of keeping his job past this season. The only way I see him being let go is if our draft picks all bust and we finish the season 5-11 or worse. We'd basically have to take a major step back this year and have a terrible draft to go along with it. But even then I think Ireland might still keep his job. I think Ireland is a pretty smart guy that knows talent, we've got a solid staff that understands quarterbacks, I think between the group they'll figure our quarterbacking problems out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:05 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Really??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:46 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

wkloiber13 wrote:
1984phins wrote:

That is a pretty bold statement. I'm not too sure I'd believe that just yet. A lot can happen between now and the end of the season, I would say Ireland has a 90% or better chance of keeping his job past this season. The only way I see him being let go is if our draft picks all bust and we finish the season 5-11 or worse. We'd basically have to take a major step back this year and have a terrible draft to go along with it. But even then I think Ireland might still keep his job. I think Ireland is a pretty smart guy that knows talent, we've got a solid staff that understands quarterbacks, I think between the group they'll figure our quarterbacking problems out.

The fan base has no confidence in Ireland and the team. It is not completely his fault, for he is carrying the weight of 11 years of frustration.

But I say this because of some very simple observations:

The Dolphins are 4th place in their own town. Every other team has excitement and optimism surrounding them. Dolphins season ticket sales are at an all time low. The only reason there were no blackouts last year was due to the Dolphins buying up their own tickets and giving them away. Even then, the stadium showed quite a bit of orange the majority of the time. Blackouts seem likely this year and it will take Ross eating a bunch of tickets to avoid them.

If Ireland avoids drafting a first round QB, after everyone on earth is screaming "GET A QB!!!!" then when Miami goes 6-10, 7-9 or so the fan base will once again ask for his head and Ross will have to bend to public pressure. After all, what does Ireland say in his defense? "I've built a spectactular under 0.500 team?"

If Miami has Tannehill in their back pocket, Ireland can sell the promise of Ryan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1984phins wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
1984phins wrote:

The fan base has no confidence in Ireland and the team. It is not completely his fault, for he is carrying the weight of 11 years of frustration.

But I say this because of some very simple observations:

The Dolphins are 4th place in their own town. Every other team has excitement and optimism surrounding them. Dolphins season ticket sales are at an all time low. The only reason there were no blackouts last year was due to the Dolphins buying up their own tickets and giving them away. Even then, the stadium showed quite a bit of orange the majority of the time. Blackouts seem likely this year and it will take Ross eating a bunch of tickets to avoid them.

If Ireland avoids drafting a first round QB, after everyone on earth is screaming "GET A QB!!!!" then when Miami goes 6-10, 7-9 or so the fan base will once again ask for his head and Ross will have to bend to public pressure. After all, what does Ireland say in his defense? "I've built a spectactular under 0.500 team?"

If Miami has Tannehill in their back pocket, Ireland can sell the promise of Ryan.

Well, we'll have to wait and see how things pan out. You may turn out to be right, but I still think Ireland will be our GM for at least a season or two longer.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]