Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:15 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
Considering this was the first of a three-day minicamp, it’s hard to step away and make a fair assessment of the work being done. The Dolphins are working with new coaches, and a new playbook. And in Garrard’s case, it’s the first meaningful work he has done with a team on the field in months.

Moore and Garrard had some nice passes down the middle. Both appeared slow at times with their steps and releasing the ball.

On one Moore pass to the outside, he was intercepted by defensive back Sean Smith, which drew so cheers from his fellow defenders.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/04/miami-dolphins-quarterback-battle-begins.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I knew it...looks as if Garrard will take over Moore's starting job now! Sean Smith making an interception!? Dolphins 2012 Superbowl champs baby!

Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree with one part of this article, and that is that the quarterback battle will carry into August. I think the new staff will bring in their own rookie to compete with Moore and Garrard, possibly Tannehill if they feel he's the guy. If that is the case, then I believe it will be a straight up competition between Moore, Garrard, and Tannehill. I'm not saying Tannehill will win the starting job, but he will be allowed to come in and compete for it. I think Moore and Garrard will struggle with the new offense and that could open the door for Tannehill to make things interesting if he's drafted.

Moore and Garrard aren't what I would call franchise quarterbacks. Of the two I would say Garrard has had the better career, but even at that his career isn't what you would call a stellar one. He's had to battle to earn his starting job his entire career, much like Moore he had to get his shot to start after an injury to another quarterback.

If Garrard can return to form there is a good chance he could win the starting job. He was a Pro Bowl selection only three years ago. He's got a career QB rating of 85 and has taken the Jaguars of all teams to the playoffs on more than one occasion. If he is all the way healthy, and he can pick up the new offense quickly, then I think he's going to win the starting job. Garrard's biggest drawbacks are his age and injury history, those are the only two things I see holding him back from beating Moore. And make no mistake, those are two very big factors.

Moore because of his age and the way he played down the stretch has to be the favorite to win this thing. He's proven that he can hang tough in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield. I like his toughness, I like his ability to rally the team around him, what I don't like is the number of sacks he took last year. Hopefully some offensive line help on the right side can cure that because I just don't see Moore staying healthy an entire season if he keeps taking hits like he did last year. If Moore isn't protected better I think Garrard or Tannehill might take the job from him mid-season, and not because of poor performance. I don't think Moore will ever give you a terrible performance, but what he will do is confuse you with a mixture of great and terribly mediocre performances. Moore is what I would call inconsistent, but in a good way. I think that is why he's the favorite to win the starting job.

Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Some more on the practice:

Quote:
Wide receivers Davone Bess, Brian Hartline, Clyde Gates, Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace all were part of last year’s offense and looked comfortable in the team drills the first go around. Gates, Hartline and Bess all made some impressive catches

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Philbins-First-Practice-Comes-Off-Without-A-Hitch/a0093e98-f1a1-4bea-abe9-b6c3897e204c

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:48 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

More:
Quote:
Armando Salguero:
I can also tell you the Dolphins are hoping from a lot out of Clyde Gates. He was on the receiving end of more passes than just about any wide receiver today. I didn't say he was the most impressive receiver at the workout. To me, that was Brian Hartline and Roberto Wallace.

But suffice to say Gates was a major focal point.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:28 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

One thing to consider about Moore vs Garrard, is that Moore has a completely new coaching staff this year.

What I mean by that is this, while some Dolphin fans may feel a sense of obligation to Moore because he was our QB last year, you can rest assured that Philbin and Sherman do not.

It's as simple as this, best man wins.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TheCarver13 wrote:
More:
Quote:
Armando Salguero:
I can also tell you the Dolphins are hoping from a lot out of Clyde Gates. He was on the receiving end of more passes than just about any wide receiver today. I didn't say he was the most impressive receiver at the workout. To me, that was Brian Hartline and Roberto Wallace.

But suffice to say Gates was a major focal point.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

You need speed to run a good West Coast offense. Gates certainly has speed. I'm really hoping he'll have a better year now that he's healthy and will get a full offseason to learn the new offense. The guy has a ton of potential.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I knew it...looks as if Garrard will take over Moore's starting job now! Sean Smith making an interception!? Dolphins 2012 Superbowl champs baby!

:) I love being the team to beat ...in April!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

:) I love being the team to beat ...in April!

With David Garrard of all people leading the way.
:grin:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:00 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Whats funny to me is if its a two man battle, my money is on Garrard to take the spot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:04 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Whats funny to me is if its a two man battle, my money is on Garrard to take the spot.

A lot of people seem to think that Moore deserves to be our starter after his performance last year. Personally, I think Moore deserves nothing but the chance to compete with Garrard and whoever else is on the roster. Our new staff inherited him, they didn't pick him. He will have to prove to Philbin and Sherman that he has what it takes to run their offense before he can win the starting job. My money is on Garrard if he's truly healthy. Garrard has the bigger arm, he's more mobile, and he has more experience.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]