All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:48 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... 0-que.html

Ryan Tannehill reportedly scored a 34 out of 50 on his Wonderlic test. That's only 3 points behind Andrew Luck who scored a 37 and well ahead of RG3(24) and Brandon Weeden(27). With all of the speculation that Tannehill will need a season to develop, it's obvious that his football IQ isn't the part of him that needs work. Rather his mechanics and decision making will need to be improved to an NFL level.

He's big, athletic, accurate, and smart. I think this kid has the stuff to be a very good NFL quarterback. With Mike Sherman being a perfect offensive coordinator for him to work with and Joe Philbin being a quarterback guru of sorts this seems to be a perfect fit. I think Tannehill can be developed into a solid franchise quarterback with our group of coaches. If he lands in Miami I think he'll be in very good hands. Let's just hope we don't miss out due to a draft day surprise.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:13 pm
Posts: 359
You're wonderlic score virtually means nothing in terms of future production. Look up Marino's wonderlic and see if you care about it anymore.

_________________
305sportsblog.blogspot.com

Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:27 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:46 pm
Posts: 226
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Sherman's stay in Miami to be brief. He was a former head coach in the NFL and college. In fact it was Sherman as head coach of the Green Bay Packers, who hired Philbin.

My point is if Miami drafts Tannehill ( I am betting they don't ) he might only have one year to work with Sherman.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
gatorphin wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Sherman's stay in Miami to be brief. He was a former head coach in the NFL and college. In fact it was Sherman as head coach of the Green Bay Packers, who hired Philbin.

My point is if Miami drafts Tannehill ( I am betting they don't ) he might only have one year to work with Sherman.


Even if that is the case, Philbin has a history developing quarterbacks, aka Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn.

The Wonderlic is certainly not the end all be all in regards to determining a player potential production, but it nice to know the kid has smarts. He also has played in the offense the Dolphins will run for the last year and a half.

And for the record, Mike Sherman may very well want to get into the NFL again, but it going to take more than one year back in the NFL for that to happen. He has now been fired from Green Bay and Texas A & M.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 5936
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
We loved every QB we had & drafted over what seems like the last 100 years. We also pulled reasons out of the sky to back why we liked each & every one of them. I could care less about a wonderlic score. Wonderlic this: Give me a QB who is gonna win on Sundays & finally be our starter for the next 10 years. Take Tanehill at 8 .... but dont give me these prophesies why Tanehill is as good as Luck or RG3 because I am tired of seeing these QB's getting their asses wonderlicked out of here. I love the Marino analogy. He was a gamer. You know what he would tell you about your wonderlic score after he just lit you up for 350 yards & 4 TD's.

_________________
GASE IS ON THE CASE!!! 2017 , 2018 , 2019 SB CHAMPIONS.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
phinsfansc wrote:
He also has played in the offense the Dolphins will run for the last year and a half..


I keep hearing that....and it may very well be the same verbiage (which is, granted, over half the battle), but Miami won't be running the same offense that A&M did. That was a pretty heavy spread system. I imagine it will be a little more like what Green Bay did when Sherman was there. 2 backs or 2 TEs, lots of play action and guard movement with a mobile quarterback.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
He also has played in the offense the Dolphins will run for the last year and a half..


I keep hearing that....and it may very well be the same verbiage (which is, granted, over half the battle), but Miami won't be running the same offense that A&M did. That was a pretty heavy spread system. I imagine it will be a little more like what Green Bay did when Sherman was there. 2 backs or 2 TEs, lots of play action and guard movement with a mobile quarterback.


Like you said Iowa, the verbiage is half of the battle. No, it not going to be the exact same offense, but it a big plus and will help his development.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:31 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
phinsfansc wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
He also has played in the offense the Dolphins will run for the last year and a half..


I keep hearing that....and it may very well be the same verbiage (which is, granted, over half the battle), but Miami won't be running the same offense that A&M did. That was a pretty heavy spread system. I imagine it will be a little more like what Green Bay did when Sherman was there. 2 backs or 2 TEs, lots of play action and guard movement with a mobile quarterback.


Like you said Iowa, the verbiage is half of the battle. No, it not going to be the exact same offense, but it a big plus and will help his development.


Tannehill will be ready day one of mini camp. He'll understand the formations, understand the verbiage, and he'll understand what our offensive coordinator is trying to accomplish. He may not know the exact playbook, but the concepts are going to be very similar. As far as the offense being the same as the one Sherman ran in Green Bay, I don't think it will be exactly the same as before. I believe the new offense will be a blend of what Philbin did in Green Bay mixed with what Sherman did in Green Bay.
This actually brings up something I'm very interested in, which is who will call the plays this year, Philbin or Sherman??? I haven't seen anything that has said who will be responsible for calling the plays and running the offense this year. I would assume it would be Sherman because of his previous playcalling experience and the fact that he's the offensive coordinator. But then again maybe Philbin wants to take over the playcalling and have more control over his team???


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r