Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:48 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... 0-que.html

Ryan Tannehill reportedly scored a 34 out of 50 on his Wonderlic test. That's only 3 points behind Andrew Luck who scored a 37 and well ahead of RG3(24) and Brandon Weeden(27). With all of the speculation that Tannehill will need a season to develop, it's obvious that his football IQ isn't the part of him that needs work. Rather his mechanics and decision making will need to be improved to an NFL level.

He's big, athletic, accurate, and smart. I think this kid has the stuff to be a very good NFL quarterback. With Mike Sherman being a perfect offensive coordinator for him to work with and Joe Philbin being a quarterback guru of sorts this seems to be a perfect fit. I think Tannehill can be developed into a solid franchise quarterback with our group of coaches. If he lands in Miami I think he'll be in very good hands. Let's just hope we don't miss out due to a draft day surprise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:11 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

You're wonderlic score virtually means nothing in terms of future production. Look up Marino's wonderlic and see if you care about it anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:27 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Sherman's stay in Miami to be brief. He was a former head coach in the NFL and college. In fact it was Sherman as head coach of the Green Bay Packers, who hired Philbin.

My point is if Miami drafts Tannehill ( I am betting they don't ) he might only have one year to work with Sherman.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

gatorphin wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Sherman's stay in Miami to be brief. He was a former head coach in the NFL and college. In fact it was Sherman as head coach of the Green Bay Packers, who hired Philbin.

My point is if Miami drafts Tannehill ( I am betting they don't ) he might only have one year to work with Sherman.

Even if that is the case, Philbin has a history developing quarterbacks, aka Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn.

The Wonderlic is certainly not the end all be all in regards to determining a player potential production, but it nice to know the kid has smarts. He also has played in the offense the Dolphins will run for the last year and a half.

And for the record, Mike Sherman may very well want to get into the NFL again, but it going to take more than one year back in the NFL for that to happen. He has now been fired from Green Bay and Texas A & M.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:07 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

We loved every QB we had & drafted over what seems like the last 100 years. We also pulled reasons out of the sky to back why we liked each & every one of them. I could care less about a wonderlic score. Wonderlic this: Give me a QB who is gonna win on Sundays & finally be our starter for the next 10 years. Take Tanehill at 8 .... but dont give me these prophesies why Tanehill is as good as Luck or RG3 because I am tired of seeing these QB's getting their asses wonderlicked out of here. I love the Marino analogy. He was a gamer. You know what he would tell you about your wonderlic score after he just lit you up for 350 yards & 4 TD's.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:16 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
He also has played in the offense the Dolphins will run for the last year and a half..

I keep hearing that....and it may very well be the same verbiage (which is, granted, over half the battle), but Miami won't be running the same offense that A&M did. That was a pretty heavy spread system. I imagine it will be a little more like what Green Bay did when Sherman was there. 2 backs or 2 TEs, lots of play action and guard movement with a mobile quarterback.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
He also has played in the offense the Dolphins will run for the last year and a half..

I keep hearing that....and it may very well be the same verbiage (which is, granted, over half the battle), but Miami won't be running the same offense that A&M did. That was a pretty heavy spread system. I imagine it will be a little more like what Green Bay did when Sherman was there. 2 backs or 2 TEs, lots of play action and guard movement with a mobile quarterback.

Like you said Iowa, the verbiage is half of the battle. No, it not going to be the exact same offense, but it a big plus and will help his development.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Like you said Iowa, the verbiage is half of the battle. No, it not going to be the exact same offense, but it a big plus and will help his development.

Tannehill will be ready day one of mini camp. He'll understand the formations, understand the verbiage, and he'll understand what our offensive coordinator is trying to accomplish. He may not know the exact playbook, but the concepts are going to be very similar. As far as the offense being the same as the one Sherman ran in Green Bay, I don't think it will be exactly the same as before. I believe the new offense will be a blend of what Philbin did in Green Bay mixed with what Sherman did in Green Bay.
This actually brings up something I'm very interested in, which is who will call the plays this year, Philbin or Sherman??? I haven't seen anything that has said who will be responsible for calling the plays and running the offense this year. I would assume it would be Sherman because of his previous playcalling experience and the fact that he's the offensive coordinator. But then again maybe Philbin wants to take over the playcalling and have more control over his team???

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]