PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:12 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

https://twitter.com/#!/BenVolinPBP/stat ... 1516661760

:hithead:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:39 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Three days until the draft and things are getting interesting...

Having watched Ireland's phone interview with Florio and read everything thats happened today...I think I have a good idea what's going on.

I know Ireland is old school--Parcell trained and indocrinated. He assigns players values and he has certain prejudicisms that seem hopelessly outdated. He plays it safe--not wanting to go after high risk/high reward players, prefering to aquire players that will be good but not great. He does not engage in smoke-screens, bluffing, etc, he'd rather play everything close to the vest.

So today's story about Ross wanting Ryan Tannehill which forced not only Ireland into giving a live interview to PFT's Mike Florio--but an e-mail of denial from Ross and then this from Volin--tells me alot.

Miami's Front office isn't on the same page and they sure don't share the same vision for the future. Someone deliberately leaked the first story and its true. This isn't a smoke screen but a leak with an agenda of some sort. The attempts at damage control must have the rest of the league laughing and it reinforces the leak. The ineptitude of our FO continues.

I think Ireland was looking at Tannehill as a QB he could slip back into the late first round and grab. After he grabbed a pass ruher with the eight pick. That plan went out the window when hype made RT a top 10 pick. Ireland deceided that Tannehill wasn't worth it and moved on to a different plan.

But Ross has bought into the hype and is pushing for Ireland to draft him. I think he told Ireland to stop waffling and get a franchise QB this year. Tannehill.

The biggest question is how does our new coach feel about Tannehill? Is he the guy but Ireland doesn't want to draft him at 8?

I have the feeling we are witnessing a major difference in opinions and Ross has decided to step in and make the final decision.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:50 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

apatos13 wrote:
I have the feeling we are witnessing a major difference in opinions and Ross has decided to step in and make the final decision.

Cool story bro.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

From Ross himself on PFT ....

Quote:
“Mike, I read your note,” Ross said. “So there’s no confusion, Jeff Ireland will make the call who we draft, with input from Coach Philbin and the football staff. They’re the ones who have spent months reviewing tape, scouting, and gathering information from every source available to them. They have kept me fully informed about their draft analysis, and they have my full support and backing whoever they decide to pick. I know they will select the players they think can best help this football team win.”

What's funny is that shmuck Florio labels Ross's comments as "protesting too much" ...... I guess you can't clarify yourself in the media anymore. You have to take the criticisms from all angles all the time and everything you do to professionally explain yourself only adds to the madness. Too funny man.

I can't wait until these hacks have moved on from this garbage we've gotten to witness over the last few months.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

So does Ross want Tannehill because of the information he is getting from Ireland and Philbin, or has he developed a crush on the guy because of what he sees on ESPN and NFL Network???

I hate stuff like this because it clouds the decision making process. Tannehill from all accounts seems like a solid 1st round prospect that will be selected a little high because of some teams need for a future franchise quarterback. Most experts agree that we're the best fit for Tannehill because of Sherman and the familiarity there, and also because Philbin is seen as a QB guru of sorts. At the end of the day I just want to know that Ireland and Philbin made this pick and not the owner. When owners force picks on coaches it never works out. I hope that we select Tannehill because Philbin and Sherman think they can turn him into a franchise quarterback. What I don't want is Ross making this pick and then ordering our staff to make it work when they're not sold on the kid. I guess I'm just going to have to trust that whoever we take, that player will be the best choice for the Dolphins franchise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think the smartest thing the Miami Dolphins should do between now and the draft and thats to quit talking about it. If I am in NFL management for a team, I am certainly not boasting who my draft pick will be, not unless I had that first or second pick etc.

I am sure Ireland/Ross and company are just trying to give politically correct answers for the time being.

I do in my opinion think too much is being made into Ross and his place in this draft and I believe him when he says he is letting his staff pick. I am sure he will ask questions and give his thoughts, but he knows he is not the expert in this area, which is consistent to how he responded.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
So does Ross want Tannehill because of the information he is getting from Ireland and Philbin, or has he developed a crush on the guy because of what he sees on ESPN and NFL Network???

I hate stuff like this because it clouds the decision making process. Tannehill from all accounts seems like a solid 1st round prospect that will be selected a little high because of some teams need for a future franchise quarterback. Most experts agree that we're the best fit for Tannehill because of Sherman and the familiarity there, and also because Philbin is seen as a QB guru of sorts. At the end of the day I just want to know that Ireland and Philbin made this pick and not the owner. When owners force picks on coaches it never works out. I hope that we select Tannehill because Philbin and Sherman think they can turn him into a franchise quarterback. What I don't want is Ross making this pick and then ordering our staff to make it work when they're not sold on the kid. I guess I'm just going to have to trust that whoever we take, that player will be the best choice for the Dolphins franchise.

wkloiber, I agree with what you stated pretty much 100 percent. It no secret that I am not the biggest fan of Ross, but I don't think he is that stupid.

You have football people in the organization, let them do their job. If they decide Ryan Tannehill is the pick, I fine with it. If not, move on. As long as it from the football people, and I pretty sure it is, I'm fine with it.

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]