Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:46 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:

Every sign points to Miami picking Tannehill and everyone in the NFL would be surprised if Ireland weighs the need his team has at quarterback and picks someone else — serving up the biggest draft-day curveball since Brady Quinn.
But what if the Dolphins surprise? What then?
More importantly, who then?
Here is the name to keep in mind just in case: Fletcher Cox.
Cox is a Mississippi State defensive lineman. He is 6-4 and 298 pounds of relentless quarterback-chasing, guard-tormenting, rushing-average-destroying fury.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/22/2 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think Fletcher Cox could be a serious consideration if Tannehill is off the board.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:30 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

phinsfansc wrote:
I think Fletcher Cox could be a serious consideration if Tannehill is off the board.

He is a serious consideration if Tannehill is on the board. Reaching for players of need hardly ever pans out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:59 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

He is a serious consideration if Tannehill is on the board. Reaching for players of need hardly ever

pans out.

Agree on both points. That is why I have stated that it would not surprise me if Tannehill is not the pick, I just forgot to add Cox to the list. That being said, he has what you want in a DT that can provide interior pass rush and he is 21 years old. Just a pup.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

We have Starks, Odrick, McDaniel, Baker, Soliai and Merling all on the roster. If we take another DT, then we know this staff is completely insane.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
We have Starks, Odrick, McDaniel, Baker, Soliai and Merling all on the roster. If we take another DT, then we know this staff is completely insane.

Of that group, only Starks and Odrick provide interior pass rush ability. Cox is considered a kid that can provide that type of pressure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:31 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

phinsfansc wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Of that group, only Starks and Odrick provide interior pass rush ability. Cox is considered a kid that can provide that type of pressure.

And you can bet your top dollar that Starks and Odrick will be starting at end when in the 3-4. In the 4-3 I can see Starks and Soliai in the middle on early downs. And Odrick and Starks in the middle on passing downs. With Wake and whomever we get for the otherside. Our D-line will be stacked. But we need another edge rusher. We are too good in the middle with too much depth to crowd the field with ANOTHER DT.

If Tannehill is gone. Trade back for Nick Perry.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:34 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I don't see it. It just doesn't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:27 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Iowafin wrote:
Merling, Starks are FA after the season & Baker is not starter material. So if Cox is as good as they say, then he is in the rotation this year & move into Starks spot next or he makes Starks trade bait for a pick in the draft.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

I think that guys like Merling and Soliai can also play the middle and provide some pass rush ability if put into a 4-3 configuration. Both guys have the strength and skills to push the pocket back. I think we have a very versatile front that has several guys who can handle the 3-4 or 4-3 defense and play multiple positions. What we lack in my opinion is another pure pass rusher like Cameron Wake. We need another hybrid DE/OLB that can replace Jason Taylor in the lineup and give us that boost on 3rd down. I'd love to see us trade back up into the 1st round and take a guy like Mercilus Whitney from Illinois later in the 1st round. I think putting him across from Wake would be awesome! The guy has a knack for making big plays on defense. He had 16 sacks and 9 forced fumbles this year. If he can get half of that with us then he's a great addition.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:11 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

that would be a crap pick and a slap in the face to the fan base

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]