PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:33 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1. Indy – Luck
2. Washington – RGIII
3. Minnesota – Kalil
4. Cleveland – Richardson
5. Tampa – Claiborne

Top 5 appear to be obvious at this point. Here's where it gets interesting...
6. St. Louis – Fletcher Cox, DT
In his 17 years in Tennessee, Fisher drafted more DL than any other position by far. It's a need, and there's value at WR later. They pass on Blackmon.

7. Jets (via trade with Jacksonville) – Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB
Word is the Jets love him. Jacksonville is desperate to trade down, NY moves up for him to make sure they secure him.

8. Miami – Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma St.
I don't endorse this pick, nor am I making it off of today's comments from Ireland. But I get the feeling that Miami will pass on Tannehill if Blackmon is on the board. I get the feeling they like him, but don't love him, and Blackmon is a game changer at WR. They'll wait until next year to grab a QB.

9. Carolina – Stephen Gilmore, CB
Word is that Carolina loves him, and most are saying he'll end up in top 10 somewhere.

10. Buffalo – Luke Kuechly, ILB, BOSTON COLLEGE
Putting him behind that DLine is SCARY. Also fills a need, and Kuechly might be BPA.

11. Kansas City – Ryan Tannehill, QB
Tannehill falls to KC, and this pick is obvious for the Chiefs.

12. Philly (via trade with Seattle) - Dontari Poe, DT
Philly needs to bulk up badly, and word is Seattle is looking to move down from 12 unless Tannehill is there.

13. Arizona – Riley Reiff, OT
RT is a huge need for Arizona.

14. Dallas – Mark Barron, S
Barron has been connected to Dallas a lot recently.

15. Seattle (from Philly) – Quinton Coples, DE/DT
Seattle needs more impact players on the DL.

16. Jacksonville – Michael Floyd, WR
Jacksonville gets better value for a WR here.

17. Cincy – Dre Kirkpatrick, CB
Cincy needs a CB badly. A little bit of a reach, but fills a big need and he's a solid player.

18. San Diego – David DeCastro, LG
LG is a huge need, and DeCastro is BPA.

19. Chicago – Jon Martin, OT
The Bears need to keep investing into the OL until they are able to protect Cutler.

20. Tennessee – Whitney Mercilus, DE
The Titans pass rush is pathetic. They need DE help badly.

21. Cincy – Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB
Word is Marvin Lewis loves Upshaw.

22. Cleveland – Cordy Glenn, OL
Bulks up OL with versatile player.

23. Detroit – Mike Adams, OT
Find a way to protect Stafford. They reach for a very talented OT.

24. Pittsburgh – Kendall Wright, WR
Need to start thinking about replacement for Wallace.

25. Denver – Michael Brockers, DT
Not sure that he falls this far, but I do think Brockers falls some.

26. Houston – Rueben Randle, WR
Obvious pick if available. No needs, good player at position they're somewhat thin at.

27. New England – Nick Perry, DE/OLB
Pats need a pressure player badly.

28. Green Bay – Shea McClellin, DE/OLB
GB also needs a pressure player opposite Clay badly. They are rumored to love McClellin.

29. Baltimore – Dont'a Hightower, ILB
Lewis is retiring after this year. Find a replacement early to develop under him.

30. San Fran – Coby Fleener, TE
Harbaugh drafts his boy. Opens up offense.

31. New England – Janoris Jenkins, CB
NE takes the chance. They love Gators.

32. Giants – Stephen Hill, WR
After losing Manningham they need to add some explosiveness at WR.

Miami then waits until the 4th round to draft Ryan Lindley from San Diego St. They look to add a pass rusher, CB and OL in Day 2.

Post subject: Re: My first mock
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:08 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I't be great if Blackmon dropped to us..............though I think if the Jet's traded up, they'll go offense..........to get Blackmon or Richardson.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:15 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Certainly an interesting mock and I can see Blackmon sliding. I'm with ya on the Jets doing something bold to move up and I could also see TB jumping to 3 to get Richardson (although Claiborne is a serious need)

How about this to change it up:

Miami selects Tannehill at 8 and then deals its 2nd and acquired 3rds (2012 and 2013) to move back into the first round to select a sliding Coples

or

Miami does as you say and uses those same picks to jump back into Rd 1 to get Weeden.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:28 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There is certainly a buzz that the Rams like Flecther Cox, and if they don't take him there I think Philly will trade up to get him.

If Miami has to choose between Blackmon or Tannehill, I do believe the pick will be Blackmon. He is a legit top 5-7 talent in this draft. He not AJ Green or Julio Jones, but this kid is a balla.

I do like Tannehill and would not mind seeing Miami take him at #8, but that being said, he is a reach at #8. Blackmon is not.

Dan, I like the thought of Miami trading back into the 1st round to get Coples, but keep an eye on Nick Perry in the later part of the 1st round.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:43 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

phinsfansc wrote:
Dan, I like the thought of Miami trading back into the 1st round to get Coples, but keep an eye on Nick Perry in the later part of the 1st round.

I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:48 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Very nice mock draft. Not like every other mock that looks almost exactly the same. I hope the Dolphins still take Tannehill even if Blackmon is there.

I think Kendall Wright slips into the 2nd round and Steelers throws a curve ball and take Coby Fleener. Knowing the Patriots, they take Nick Perry as you said and another pass rusher at pick #31 instead of Janoris Jenkins. They love to double up on players in the draft.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:22 am 
Nice Job PR!
Really Like this one...at least someone is being ingenious.

I would not be shocked to see Minnesota take Blackmon and if Clevelands not sold on Tannehill, they could grab him. Despite all the expert opinions, I don't think Cleveland is in love with Richardson and would grab Blackmon in a heartbeat.

The Rams are drooling over the thought of getting Richardson.

Jacksonville is going to get offers and will trade out for some team that wants to jump and grab somebody. I hope its for a defensive player. I'm all in for Tannehill and I think Miami is too, but they will not move up, not even to the 6th if the Rams don't get Richardson.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:03 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I know you put that Pittsburgh needs a replacement for Wallace, but truth of the matter is that he will remain there and they know that. I'd endorse picking Blackmon at 8 if he is available, he is not supposed to fall that low to begin with, so if he does (with our receiving core) we definitely need to snag him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:31 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Certainly an interesting mock and I can see Blackmon sliding. I'm with ya on the Jets doing something bold to move up and I could also see TB jumping to 3 to get Richardson (although Claiborne is a serious need)

Miami selects Tannehill at 8 and then deals its 2nd and acquired 3rds (2012 and 2013) to move back into the first round to select a sliding Coples

or

Miami does as you say and uses those same picks to jump back into Rd 1 to get Weeden.

I don't think Miami is interested in Weeden. If they were, they wouldn't have spent such little time with him.

Could be a smoke screen, but that's a darn ricky one when you're talking about a first round QB. Have to make sure you love him.

I agree with Tony. Nick Perry is a guy I've been touting to Miami for a while. Fits exactly what Ireland wants in a pass rusher. At one point I had him going to Miami at #8. If they do move back up into the first, it's either for Fleener or Perry.

That said, I see Miami going for quantity in this draft, and don't see them trading up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:35 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Having the 8th overall pick, I definitely do not see Miami trading up in the first round. Also, I don't believe Tannehill will be a Dolphin, even if he is there a No. 8. With a new coach and an embattled GM, the team needs talent that can contribute immediately. A top 10 pick needs to be an impact player from day one, especially when jobs are on the line.

We''ll make movement in the later rounds, especially with an extra 3rd round pick to use in negotiations.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:56 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

shularino wrote:
Also, I don't believe Tannehill will be a Dolphin, even if he is there a No. 8. With a new coach and an embattled GM, the team needs talent that can contribute immediately. A top 10 pick needs to be an impact player from day one, especially when jobs are on the line.

We''ll make movement in the later rounds, especially with an extra 3rd round pick to use in negotiations.

Tannehill won't be a Dolphin if Miami doesn't believe he has franchise potential or if they love another QB. Coaches and GMs are tied to the guy they take. Parcells and Sparano settled for Henne rather than go after the guy they wanted (Flacco). Had Sparano been canned prior to last season I bet Ireland would have drafted a QB.

If Ireland loves one of Weeden, Cousins, or Osweiler then I'm fine with targeting that guy, just don't settle because of some silly perceived value. Ireland and Philbin will be defined by their QB, not a pass rusher or WR. Could have been Flynn, might be Moore or maybe a drafted guy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:36 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Kudos to all you guys doing your own mock drafts, and trying to make them different than all the other drivel out there on the interweb.

My two cents:

Personally, I think the only "slam dunk" picks are Luck at #1 and Griffin at #2.

If Minnesota doesn't take Kalil at #3 (which also could include trading out of the slot to someone with a starting LT already -- I think Spielman has billboard space in most major cities with his cell phone number), every single mock draft I've read so far is screwed.

I'm with everyone that thinks either Blackmon or Richardson will fall a few spots and force a trade to happen.

I don't think anyone will move up to draft Poe. He's just not as good a player as some of the other DT prospects. Game-by-game production has to account for something. I would think.

Pardon the language, but Quinton Coples scares the "H-E-Double Hockeysticks" out of me. He really screams "Vernon Gholston" to me. Half of Gholston's sacks came against Wisconsin and Michigan, two teams that regularly send O-linemen to the NFL. Over half of Coples sacks came against James Madison and Duke. Yes he's big. Yes he's fast. I guess I would have liked him to flash both regularly on a football field. But I'm no NFL talent evaluator, so he may be the best thing since sliced bread.

I also think if Tannehill doesn't go to the Dolphins at #8, he falls 10 picks or so to someone trading back up into the 1st Round. I don't see KC going there.

It's going to be a really wild draft. I just hope that the moves the Dolphins make start to show evidence of Jeff Ireland's "evil genius" and not his "madness."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:03 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Nice Mock PR.

You know I love the Blackmon selection. Heck, if we got Weeden on top of that it would probably become my favorite draft in quite some time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:05 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

If Miami drafts Blackmon, it will be a testimony to their stupidity.

The Dolphins will in essence waste their first round pick. Trade away your #1 WR, use your first round pick to replace him. What have you gained ? NOTHING !

Miami needs to address the QB, DE or RT position.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

gatorphin wrote:
If Miami drafts Blackmon, it will be a testimony to their stupidity.

The Dolphins will in essence waste their first round pick. Trade away your #1 WR, use your first round pick to replace him. What have you gained ? NOTHING !

Miami needs to address the QB, DE or RT position.

Depends on how you look at it. If they viewed Marshall as a distraction to the team and what Philbin is trying to accomplish, then it makes complete sense ...... Let's be honest, that is the reason he's no longer here. Philbin's philosophy is not "feed the beast." We can speculate all we want about what kind of compensation we should've gotten or whether or not there were other significant offers ..... fact is he's now playing for his 3rd NFL team in 6 years. Image

Acquiring Blackmon would be an excellent pick. The kid's got a great head on his shoulders, explosive playmaking ability, and would fit the "Z" reciever in the WC offense. IMO he has all the potential to become Philbin's Greg Jennings type. Most importantly, with this son of a marine you're not dealing with a perennial headache.

It's potentially a "lateral" move with a good bit of upside to become more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:21 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Replacing Marshall with Blackmon would be a very bold move. Personally, when I watch Blackmon I just don't see the dominant Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, or Andre Johnson type of receiver. I don't see a guy who can physically dominate and take over a game when I watch Blackmon. I see Blackmon as more of a Michael Crabtree or Dez Bryant type receiver. Crabtree and Bryant like Blackmon were very dominant at the collegiate level, but they are just very good number two guys at the NFL level. When I see Blackmon play I just don't see anything elite about him. He has good hands, his route running is solid too, but I just don't see anything elite when I watch him.

When I think about Blackmon I just don't see anything elite that would lead me to believe that he would be as good as Brandon Marshall. He doesn't have elite size, he doesn't have elite speed, and he doesn't have elite burst off the line of scrimmage. You need one of those things in order to dominate at the next level. Blackmon is a very good receiver, but he lacks elite tools like Marshall had. He would be a great pick if he was going in the middle to late parts of the first round, but in the top ten I just don't see him as a special player like that. I would much rather see us go after Tannehill and then try to trade back into the first round for Michael Floyd. Floyd possesses elite size, strength, and bust off the line. He is the best receiver in this years draft in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:40 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Replacing Marshall with Blackmon would be a very bold move. Personally, when I watch Blackmon I just don't see the dominant Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, or Andre Johnson type of receiver. I don't see a guy who can physically dominate and take over a game when I watch Blackmon. I see Blackmon as more of a Michael Crabtree or Dez Bryant type receiver. Crabtree and Bryant like Blackmon were very dominant at the collegiate level, but they are just very good number two guys at the NFL level. When I see Blackmon play I just don't see anything elite about him. He has good hands, his route running is solid too, but I just don't see anything elite when I watch him.

When I think about Blackmon I just don't see anything elite that would lead me to believe that he would be as good as Brandon Marshall. He doesn't have elite size, he doesn't have elite speed, and he doesn't have elite burst off the line of scrimmage. You need one of those things in order to dominate at the next level. Blackmon is a very good receiver, but he lacks elite tools like Marshall had. He would be a great pick if he was going in the middle to late parts of the first round, but in the top ten I just don't see him as a special player like that. I would much rather see us go after Tannehill and then try to trade back into the first round for Michael Floyd. Floyd possesses elite size, strength, and bust off the line. He is the best receiver in this years draft in my opinion.

Was Brandon Marshall was "elite"? He didn't have elite speed. He didn't have elite hands. He sure was elite at dropping TD's though. The only standout part of Brandon's game was the physical aspect both size and being able to handle CB's at the line. In your defense of Floyd, I get the impression you're simply trying to clone Marshall via somebody in the draft.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:16 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:

or

Generally I am against trading up, but that sounds like a great scenario: get the QB, get the stud pass rusher instead of a "lesser" one you would have taken in the second round AND still have our original 3rd round pick to address WR or RT.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]