All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:00 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
They've done about as much as you can do with Tannehill, Osweiler, Lindley....But hardly anything with Weeden? Just one meeting, and that's it? They didn't work him out, or host him, or meet him at the combine. All they did was interview him at the Sr. Bowl.

I find this very weird. I can't see them taking a QB in the first round, especially considering it would involve trading up or down, having not done extensive work with him. But why would they basically tell the NFL they aren't interested? I find it fascinating. At the least you'd want to send out the smokescreen that you're highly considering him, right?


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Stop getting my hopes up PR.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:00 pm
Posts: 32
We aren't drafting a QB with the 8th pick.
We are taking Coples or Floyd IMO.

Neither Tannehill or Weeden are top 10 worthy.

_________________
Miami Dolphin fan since birth and for life.
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26207
Location: Miami, FL
Because they are looking for players, not coaches.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:32 am 
Phins Rock wrote:
They've done about as much as you can do with Tannehill, Osweiler, Lindley....But hardly anything with Weeden? Just one meeting, and that's it? They didn't work him out, or host him, or meet him at the combine. All they did was interview him at the Sr. Bowl.

I find this very weird. I can't see them taking a QB in the first round, especially considering it would involve trading up or down, having not done extensive work with him. But why would they basically tell the NFL they aren't interested? I find it fascinating. At the least you'd want to send out the smokescreen that you're highly considering him, right?


If Tannehill doesn't fall to them, Ireland has a sleeper pick at QB that he thinks is a diamond in the rough and can get at good value later on in the draft.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:36 am 
Phins Rock wrote:
They've done about as much as you can do with Tannehill, Osweiler, Lindley....But hardly anything with Weeden? Just one meeting, and that's it? They didn't work him out, or host him, or meet him at the combine. All they did was interview him at the Sr. Bowl.

I find this very weird. I can't see them taking a QB in the first round, especially considering it would involve trading up or down, having not done extensive work with him. But why would they basically tell the NFL they aren't interested? I find it fascinating. At the least you'd want to send out the smokescreen that you're highly considering him, right?


Also Ireland doesn't really engage in smoke screens. He plays the private game and is very conservative. Watching that PC yesterday, and seeing people react and try to spin what he said was hilarious. He said absolutely nothing.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:34 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7530
Location: Massachusetts
apatos13 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
They've done about as much as you can do with Tannehill, Osweiler, Lindley....But hardly anything with Weeden? Just one meeting, and that's it? They didn't work him out, or host him, or meet him at the combine. All they did was interview him at the Sr. Bowl.

I find this very weird. I can't see them taking a QB in the first round, especially considering it would involve trading up or down, having not done extensive work with him. But why would they basically tell the NFL they aren't interested? I find it fascinating. At the least you'd want to send out the smokescreen that you're highly considering him, right?


If Tannehill doesn't fall to them, Ireland has a sleeper pick at QB that he thinks is a diamond in the rough and can get at good value later on in the draft.


His name is Ryan Lindley. Write it down.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:02 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10113
Location: MA
apatos13 wrote:
Watching that PC yesterday, and seeing people react and try to spin what he said was hilarious. He said absolutely nothing.


Exactly. You have some guys saying it means they are going immediate impact and others pointing to Ireland saying you don't necessarily need immediate contributors.

All he said is he knows what he wants and has back up options too.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:32 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Why have the Dolphins shown such little interest? Because Weeden is 29! Most quarterbacks don't show their true talent and fully develop until their 3rd or 4th year in the league. Why on earth would the Dolphins draft a guy that wouldn't fully develop until he is 32 or 33 years old? His body will be physically breaking down by the time he's developed. We'll never see this guy play in his physical prime, unless of course we want to watch his OSU film.
If Jeff Ireland wants to get himself fired he'll take Weeden at number 8. Taking Weeden in the 1st round would be career suicide. He's a huge bust waiting to happen.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
wkloiber13 wrote:
Why have the Dolphins shown such little interest? Because Weeden is 29! Most quarterbacks don't show their true talent and fully develop until their 3rd or 4th year in the league. Why on earth would the Dolphins draft a guy that wouldn't fully develop until he is 32 or 33 years old? His body will be physically breaking down by the time he's developed. We'll never see this guy play in his physical prime, unless of course we want to watch his OSU film.
If Jeff Ireland wants to get himself fired he'll take Weeden at number 8. Taking Weeden in the 1st round would be career suicide. He's a huge bust waiting to happen.


Mr. Long Winded .... nobody is saying take Weeden at #8 ..... and with all this talk from some of you about the potential Tannehill has and how soon he could be ready to play, it's so funny to watch you slight Weeden simply because he's 29 (not til October to be exact) ..... You don't definitively know he'd need 3 or 4 years to develop. Physically Weeden is in his prime. The question is how fast mentally can he acclimate to the pro game. His maturity should help in that regard.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:32 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2576
Location: NSW, Australia
Maybe there are things about him, above and beyond his age, that make it clear to Ireland and Philbin that he is not a good QB for the system


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:03 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10113
Location: MA
Phins Rock wrote:
His name is Ryan Lindley. Write it down.


I'd think Weeden or Cousins over Lindley. In regards to Weeden, it wouldn't be the first time Miami is purposely hiding their interest in a guy. As for Cousins, just seems like and Ireland type guy (all the intangibles you could possibly want in a QB).


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:08 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 10066
Location: Fargo, ND
Rich wrote:
Because they are looking for players, not coaches.

:)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1646
He's 29 already. That's the problem.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
I can just see it. Dolphins trade away their best receiver, draft a receiver at number 8, and take a 29-year old quarterback in round 2.

Has this happened before?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:05 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 10066
Location: Fargo, ND
Iowafin wrote:
I can just see it. Dolphins trade away their best receiver, draft a receiver at number 8, and take a 29-year old quarterback in round 2.

Has this happened before?

No and it won't


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:52 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Why have the Dolphins shown such little interest? Because Weeden is 29! Most quarterbacks don't show their true talent and fully develop until their 3rd or 4th year in the league. Why on earth would the Dolphins draft a guy that wouldn't fully develop until he is 32 or 33 years old? His body will be physically breaking down by the time he's developed. We'll never see this guy play in his physical prime, unless of course we want to watch his OSU film.
If Jeff Ireland wants to get himself fired he'll take Weeden at number 8. Taking Weeden in the 1st round would be career suicide. He's a huge bust waiting to happen.


Mr. Long Winded .... nobody is saying take Weeden at #8 ..... and with all this talk from some of you about the potential Tannehill has and how soon he could be ready to play, it's so funny to watch you slight Weeden simply because he's 29 (not til October to be exact) ..... You don't definitively know he'd need 3 or 4 years to develop. Physically Weeden is in his prime. The question is how fast mentally can he acclimate to the pro game. His maturity should help in that regard.


He plays almost exclusively out of the shotgun at OSU. He has not played in an NFL style of offense. Weeden does not have the experience that Tannehill has in an NFL style offense. His mechanics from under center are years behind Tannehill and he does not have the arm strength nor mobility that Tannehill has. There is a reason that every single expert thinks Tannehill is the superior prospect, they aren't just making this stuff up as they go. This kind of evaluation comes from several years of expertise.
As far as Weeden being mature, the guy scrapped football once to play baseball. He took the money instead of developing in college. You may not question it, but I question this kids maturity. Just because he's five years older than all of the other prospects doesn't mean he's more mature, it only means he's older. As far as the mental aspect like you said, I agree 100% that he will need some time to get up to the speed of the NFL and to learn a Pro Style offense. I think that time frame will be anywhere between 3 to 4 yeras.

Look, I understand you like Weeden. I think he is a great gamble to take in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I don't think he'll get that far. But certainly you can at least see his downside. He's got a lot of things working against him. His age is by far the biggest to many. For me the biggest thing is he likely wouldn't beat out Moore or Garrard for the starting job this season. Maybe not even in 2013. I would like Weeden a whole lot more if I thought he could start right away, but if he isn't going to start until after he's 30, then that is a deal breaker for me. If he gets his first start at 30, then that means we likely won't develop until he's 31-33 years old. By that time we'll be starting to draft prospects to develop behind him because he'll be retiring in a few more years when he's 35-37 more than likely.

So if Tannehill and Weeden are both likely sitting on the bench for a year, I'd rather have Tannehill. He is younger, faster, stronger, and already has experience in a West Coast style of offense. He did spend time as a receiver, but he wasn't practicing as a receiver. He only played receiver during walk throughs and games. During the week he was developing as a quarterback. He worked out as a quarterback, he studied film as a quarterback, and he took practice snaps as a quarterback. Make no mistake, Tannehill has four years of experience developing as a quarterback. If anything I think his time when he played receiver has given him a deeper understanding of routes and timing. I think Tannehill has greater upside than Weeden, that is why I like him over Weeden.

As for the long winded shot, I prefer thorough. If you were a little more thorough you'd understand that Tannehill hasn't just been a quarterback for two years like some misinformed people think. You'd also understand that spread quarterbacks like Weeden typically take longer to develop than guys who have played in a Pro Style offense.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:06 am 
Offline
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6082
So Miami should not take Weeden even if the staff thinks he is a franchise QB?

Seems to me from what I have read from the experts is that Weeden would be top 10 if not for his age not a skill problem.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
AQNOR wrote:
So Miami should not take Weeden even if the staff thinks he is a franchise QB?


Correct. Last staff thought it was Henne. Staff before that thought it was Beck. Just because they think it, doesn't mean they should do it.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:36 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:16 am
Posts: 56
Iowafin wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
So Miami should not take Weeden even if the staff thinks he is a franchise QB?


Correct. Last staff thought it was Henne. Staff before that thought it was Beck. Just because they think it, doesn't mean they should do it.


Of course they should take Weeden if they think he is a Franchise QB. Then they must live and die by that decision. Ireland apparently gets a pass on Henne (and Pat White for that matter) and is getting a second (or third) chance at getting a starting QB.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:19 pm 
Offline
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6082
Iowafin wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
So Miami should not take Weeden even if the staff thinks he is a franchise QB?


Correct. Last staff thought it was Henne. Staff before that thought it was Beck. Just because they think it, doesn't mean they should do it.



So whatever QB they think is the one to take then Miami should not take that QB, by that logic? Or did I miss something?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
AQNOR wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
So Miami should not take Weeden even if the staff thinks he is a franchise QB?


Correct. Last staff thought it was Henne. Staff before that thought it was Beck. Just because they think it, doesn't mean they should do it.



So whatever QB they think is the one to take then Miami should not take that QB, by that logic? Or did I miss something?


Yes, you missed something. Your logic is, if they (Miami) think he's a franchise guy means they SHOULD take him. Incorrect. Miami has done a lot of things that they thought was right that they should have never done...for instance, signed Cam Cameron. Just because the Dolphins do it, does make it the right choice. So if Miami chooses Weeden, it doesn't mean it was the right choice.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:34 pm 
Offline
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6082
AQNOR wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
So Miami should not take Weeden even if the staff thinks he is a franchise QB?


Correct. Last staff thought it was Henne. Staff before that thought it was Beck. Just because they think it, doesn't mean they should do it.



So whatever QB they think is the one to take then Miami should not take that QB, by that logic? Or did I miss something?


Iowafin wrote:

Yes, you missed something. Your logic is, if they (Miami) think he's a franchise guy means they SHOULD take him. Incorrect. Miami has done a lot of things that they thought was right that they should have never done...for instance, signed Cam Cameron. Just because the Dolphins do it, does make it the right choice. So if Miami chooses Weeden, it doesn't mean it was the right choice.


"Just because the Dolphins do it, does make it the right choice." Could you please show me where I wrote that? I am not sure where that came from except your own fertile imagination. Trying to attribute that to what I have written seems to me to be disingenuous.

What SHOULD they do in the draft if they think a QB is a franchise guy?

Of course hindsight is 20/20 vision.

But how will the staff make a judgement, a choice in the upcoming draft? It seems by your logic that if they think a QB is a franchise guy they should not pick him? If they then think that Tannehill or Weeden or RGIII or Luck is a franchise QB then they should not take him because they have taken guys in the past that were wrong.

Are you saying they should subject their judgement to another source? If so which one?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:59 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
AQNOR wrote:
So Miami should not take Weeden even if the staff thinks he is a franchise QB?

Seems to me from what I have read from the experts is that Weeden would be top 10 if not for his age not a skill problem.


When a team shows little interest in a player like Weeden it usually means they don't see him as a franchise quarterback. If our staff throught Weeden was the answer they would probably have been paying him a little more attention at his Pro Day and maybe they would have even flown him out for a workout. But they haven't, so they likely aren't going to draft him.

I'm not too sure what experts your talking about but Weeden is not a top ten prospect. Putting aside his age, which in all reality can't be put aside unless you're in imagination land, but putting his age aside he still isn't a top ten prospect. He is a big pocket passer that lacks mobility and has durability concerns. Putting him into a West Coast offense that requires mobility could be a disaster waiting to happen. He's a bad fit for Miami, which is likely why we've not shown interest. If you paid attention to the guys we've been looking at they've all had some mobility to a certain degree, maybe not elite mobility like Tannehill, but solid ability to roll out nonetheless. I have serious doubts about Weeden being able to adapt and be successful in the West Coast offense.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:23 am 
Offline
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6082
I ask again should Miami take Weeden if they judge he has franchise talent? I get it that you don't think that Miami will take him but that was not really my question.

I do appreciate your jab about following who we've been looking at but again this has more to do with your thougts about Miami's process of evaluation and not the question asked. I have been kinda of following what you so graciously suggested.

If you had paid attention to what I wrote you would notice I did not say he was a top ten talent. I said except for age. Of course you take age into consideration. Which is why I said except for age.

Quote:
Draft status: Although Weeden is a gifted passer who has first-round skills, he will likely be selected in the second round. His strong arm and accuracy will help him to become a quality starter. Because of his maturity, he should be able to secure a starting job as a rookie.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... z1spAIOKcr


Quote:
3/29/12: If Weeden were six or seven years younger, he could easily be a top-20 pick. A lot of teams like Weeden, but the reality is that by the time he's learned the pro-game well enough to be a consistently effective starter, his physical skills will already be on the decline. His status as a 29-year old rookie quarterback is the biggest negative for him.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012QB.php


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:24 am 
Offline
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6082
Quote:


The only thing that is holding Brandon Weeden from possibly going in the first round is his age
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1100 ... ard/page/2


Quote:
I have been, and remain a buyer of Brandon Weeden’s football talent. I believe most folks will stop caring about “where” a team took Weeden sometime around his third or fourth 300+ yard passing day. You will not find me, for instance, torturing myself about how I would despise having to use the #8 overall pick on a Brandon Weeden, and would really prefer to trade down to #16 overall where I could feel more comfortable about the idea.
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... ran_1.html


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:25 am 
Offline
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6082
Quote:
You probably won't find a more polarizing player in this draft than Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

The converted wide receiver broke his foot in the offseason, but as the NFL draft prep has progressed, Tannehill ascended into the first round and what looks like could be a selection in the top 10.

Along the way, he passed Brandon Weeden, a 28-year-old who was more productive, possesses more impressive measurables andh as more experience.

The age factor is the biggest clear negative for Weeden, but Football Outsiders' KC Joyner explains why Weeden is a better prospect than Tannehill.
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id ... -tannehill


Quote:
There has been, however, more and more speculation about Weeden being selected in the first round ... -AP sports.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=QB


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:27 am 
Offline
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6082
Quote:
QB Brandon Weeden: Oklahoma State (6-4, 218)
His age will likely keep him from going as early in the draft as his talents deserve. But there isn’t a throw this guy can’t make and he has the skill set and mental make-up to mature into a potential starter with some time.

Potential Stock: Late First Round

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=n ... watch_1152


Quote:
He projects to go from the middle of round one to early round two.

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-repo ... don-weeden


OK after some reviewing I may have overstated my case in saying top 10 except for age. Thanks for helping me to see that. Maybe solid 1st round pick except for age would have been a better choice?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:02 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2576
Location: NSW, Australia
AQNOR wrote:
OK after some reviewing I may have overstated my case in saying top 10 except for age. Thanks for helping me to see that. Maybe solid 1st round pick except for age would have been a better choice?


The thing is that you have to take everything into consideration when evaluating each player. It's kind of like saying Randy Moss was a top 10 pick if it weren't for his character issues. It's fine to say that about his talent, but the fact is that the guy had BIG questions about his character and it make his draft stock fall hard.

If Wheeden was 22 years old, he probably wouldn't be half the player he is right now and he wouldn't be a 1st or 2nd round prospect. But he is older now. That has given him some benefits, but the shortened NFL playing career is a negative for him.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:08 am 
Offline
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6082
degs wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
OK after some reviewing I may have overstated my case in saying top 10 except for age. Thanks for helping me to see that. Maybe solid 1st round pick except for age would have been a better choice?


The thing is that you have to take everything into consideration when evaluating each player. It's kind of like saying Randy Moss was a top 10 pick if it weren't for his character issues. It's fine to say that about his talent, but the fact is that the guy had BIG questions about his character and it make his draft stock fall hard.

If Wheeden was 22 years old, he probably wouldn't be half the player he is right now and he wouldn't be a 1st or 2nd round prospect. But he is older now. That has given him some benefits, but the shortened NFL playing career is a negative for him.



I don't think I ever disputed the fact that you take all of the factors including his age into the decision. If I did could you help me and point that out?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:57 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10113
Location: MA
Deus ex dolphin wrote:
Of course they should take Weeden if they think he is a Franchise QB. Then they must live and die by that decision. Ireland apparently gets a pass on Henne (and Pat White for that matter) and is getting a second (or third) chance at getting a starting QB.


Ireland didn't want Henne, and I'm pretty sure the White pick was forced by Parcells.

You have to factor in that Ireland was also forced to stick with Henne last year because he was the only guy able to teach Daboll's new offense in the lockout period. Didn't make sense to draft a QB while in a win now season for Sparano.

If you judge Ireland by his only season with total control (2011) he did a pretty good job. I don't think he's received a pass, he just didn't deserve as much of the blame as people want to lay on him. Ross realizes it was his first go around without Parcells approval and that he inherited some issues. I personally don't like the way he portrays himself but I won't deny he got some good pieces for the foundation last year and didn't let desperation dictate his free agency this year.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
wkloiber13 wrote:
He plays almost exclusively out of the shotgun at OSU. He has not played in an NFL style of offense. Weeden does not have the experience that Tannehill has in an NFL style offense. His mechanics from under center are years behind Tannehill and he does not have the arm strength nor mobility that Tannehill has. There is a reason that every single expert thinks Tannehill is the superior prospect, they aren't just making this stuff up as they go. This kind of evaluation comes from several years of expertise.


Those "people" also speak highly of Weeden and have mentioned numerous times that if it wasn't for the age concern he'd easily be a Top 15 selection. Funny you mention Tannehill running an "NFL Style Offense" ..... In both of the following links from DraftAce.com who broke down game film vs. some of his more top flight opponents (Arkansas, LSU) it would appear Tannehill was limited in his throws because of glaring weaknesses hitting receivers in stride. The majority of his pass completions were comebacks and curls to the likes of Fuller and Swope and rarely going over the middle.

http://draftace.com/blog/2012/02/19/in- ... ll-vs-lsu/
http://draftace.com/blog/2012/02/20/bre ... -arkansas/

The West Coast Offense needs a high degree of accuracy hitting moving targets to be successful, not just pitch and catch at a pro day.

Quote:
As far as Weeden being mature, the guy scrapped football once to play baseball. He took the money instead of developing in college. You may not question it, but I question this kids maturity. Just because he's five years older than all of the other prospects doesn't mean he's more mature, it only means he's older. As far as the mental aspect like you said, I agree 100% that he will need some time to get up to the speed of the NFL and to learn a Pro Style offense. I think that time frame will be anywhere between 3 to 4 yeras.


How do you know he "took the money"? The guy signed with Okie St. AS A BASEBALL PLAYER until the Yankess came into the picture. You're going to question his maturity to live a dream because of that? How pretentious.

Quote:
Look, I understand you like Weeden. I think he is a great gamble to take in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I don't think he'll get that far. But certainly you can at least see his downside. He's got a lot of things working against him. His age is by far the biggest to many. For me the biggest thing is he likely wouldn't beat out Moore or Garrard for the starting job this season. Maybe not even in 2013. I would like Weeden a whole lot more if I thought he could start right away, but if he isn't going to start until after he's 30, then that is a deal breaker for me. If he gets his first start at 30, then that means we likely won't develop until he's 31-33 years old. By that time we'll be starting to draft prospects to develop behind him because he'll be retiring in a few more years when he's 35-37 more than likely.


I'm well aware of the risks of drafting him because of his age. My point in disagreeing with your post was because you were crusading against something that wasn't gonna happen i.e. Weeden getting drafted at #8. He does have tremendous value at the backside of the first round and into the 2nd. You have absolutely no way to legitimately quantify whether or not Weeden can or cannot beat out anybody nor do I even begin to understand where you get this self-imposed matrix of 3-4 years to develop into a starter.

Quote:
So if Tannehill and Weeden are both likely sitting on the bench for a year, I'd rather have Tannehill. He is younger, faster, stronger, and already has experience in a West Coast style of offense. He did spend time as a receiver, but he wasn't practicing as a receiver. He only played receiver during walk throughs and games. During the week he was developing as a quarterback. He worked out as a quarterback, he studied film as a quarterback, and he took practice snaps as a quarterback. Make no mistake, Tannehill has four years of experience developing as a quarterback. If anything I think his time when he played receiver has given him a deeper understanding of routes and timing. I think Tannehill has greater upside than Weeden, that is why I like him over Weeden.


Weeden measurables outside of the obvious athleticism, scored just as well if not better than Tanny. I wish I could find the post, but if anyone has KC Joyner ESPN Insider can you post the article breaking them down?

Weeden also didn't fall apart vs. better opponents.

Quote:
As for the long winded shot, I prefer thorough. If you were a little more thorough you'd understand that Tannehill hasn't just been a quarterback for two years like some misinformed people think. You'd also understand that spread quarterbacks like Weeden typically take longer to develop than guys who have played in a Pro Style offense.


It's funny how you say that, but then in the same breath forget to mention that Weeden didn't always play in a spread offense prior to starting at Okie St. Not to mention you wanna talk about the little things off the field, Weeden was front and center when they went to hire a new offensive coordinator. They actually included him in their search.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:58 am
Posts: 7
I know his age is a big knock on him, but Weeden is a better QB then Tannehill. I see that as the only reason people put Tannehill ahead of Weeden. The knock about him being in shotgun in college and not a "pro offense" is garbage. Brady and Manning have done pretty good running out of the shotgun in the NFL.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
AQNOR wrote:
"Just because the Dolphins do it, does make it the right choice." Could you please show me where I wrote that? I am not sure where that came from except your own fertile imagination. Trying to attribute that to what I have written seems to me to be disingenuous.


You asked, "So Miami should not draft Weeden even if they think he is a franchise quarterback?"

To which I replied, correct using the logic that just because Miami thinks it and then does it does not mean they should (have) done it.

I don't know why you're getting so worked up about it.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:54 pm 
Offline
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6082
Iowafin wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
"Just because the Dolphins do it, does make it the right choice." Could you please show me where I wrote that? I am not sure where that came from except your own fertile imagination. Trying to attribute that to what I have written seems to me to be disingenuous.


You asked, "So Miami should not draft Weeden even if they think he is a franchise quarterback?"

To which I replied, correct using the logic that just because Miami thinks it and then does it does not mean they should (have) done it.

I don't know why you're getting so worked up about it.


lol, seems like you are projecting. Correcting obvious error doesnt take much work. So no worries there. : )

Your use of should have seems to imply hindsight as if something has already happened and then you can make a judgement? That was not my question. Your logic only works in my opinion if you turn my statement around to mean something different than what I asked.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
AQNOR wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
"Just because the Dolphins do it, does make it the right choice." Could you please show me where I wrote that? I am not sure where that came from except your own fertile imagination. Trying to attribute that to what I have written seems to me to be disingenuous.


You asked, "So Miami should not draft Weeden even if they think he is a franchise quarterback?"

To which I replied, correct using the logic that just because Miami thinks it and then does it does not mean they should (have) done it.

I don't know why you're getting so worked up about it.


lol, seems like you are projecting. Correcting obvious error doesnt take much work. So no worries there. : )

Your use of should have seems to imply hindsight as if something has already happened and then you can make a judgement? That was not my question. Your logic only works in my opinion if you turn my statement around to mean something different than what I asked.


I guess I'm just saying that "should" implies that it is the right thing to do. Miami might think he's a franchise guy, but it doesn't mean that it's the right choice...so I guess if you're a part of the staff and not an outsider like we are we think Weeden is a franchise guy, then yes we take him.

_________________
Image


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r