All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There are a lot of opinions on this board. Seldom does everyone seem to agree. But I have to say I still read more negative comments on this board about Miami having traded away Greg Camarillo than about Sparano getting fired.

I guess when your teams start the season 2-4, 2-4, 3-3 and 0-6 fans get tired.

It is nice to see that we all seem to agree on something important for the dolphins.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Greg Camawho?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:31 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Camarillo only had 9 catches for 121 yards last year ... no starts. Of course, he had a rookie throwing the ball to him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:43 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Yeah, but we got rid of solid hands to draft solid hands (Hartline). No offense to hartline, but we could have used that pick elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:51 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

See...nobody says a single word about Sparano but we have Camarillo supporters hiding in the midst

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:36 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hartline is an upgrade over Camarillo in my opinion. As far as Tony Sparano getting fired, it needed to happen. At the end of the day he just didn't win enough games. I never liked the hiring of Tony. That whole deal just seemed like Parcells was hiring one of his boys, and he only got hired after we failed to get Garrett away from Dallas. I like the choice of Philbin much more than Sparano. I think his philosophy is much more in tune with how you win in today's NFL. I think Philbin will have a much better career coaching the Dolphins than Tony Sparano.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Benny Sapp had panned out it would have been a great trade. Cam was the 5th WR.

But Sapp was complete garbage.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:54 pm 

When Sparano was fired it definitely was time. We all knew he was an interim coach anyway this past season & losing the first 7 just sealed his fate. He was fired in a crappy way but in the end it was a justified firing. However , from what i remember everyone liked the hire. Parcells came here as a savior & we all thought his plan was gospel. If he thought Sparano was the guy who were we to disagree we said. after the first season it looked as if we found our way , alas the great trifecta was gonna take us to the next level. But then the schedule got harder & teams got hip to the wildcat & we finally saw what we really had , as did Parcells & he bailed.
And back to topic , had Camarillo not scored that OT touchdown vs. the Ravens to give us that one win nobody would even remember his name.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:50 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
If Benny Sapp had panned out it would have been a great trade. Cam was the 5th WR.

I think we all knew this was not going to be a good addition. Sapp was all ready sliding off the Vikings roster at the time. It looks like Camarillo was sliding off of ours as well, but we just didn't know it;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

This is as off the wall as a thread on another Fins forum that advocated that Tannehill was not as good as Jay Fiedler was....I had forgotten we even had Camarillo here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:46 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Larryfinfan wrote:
This is as off the wall as a thread on another Fins forum that advocated that Tannehill was not as good as Jay Fiedler was....I had forgotten we even had Camarillo here...

My point when posting the thread was that NOBODY is saying a single word about losing Sparano. I find that shocking. Even when Cameron was fired there were people who thought he should have continued on as head coach.

I mentioned Camarillo, in that he was an absolute nothing player and still we hear his name brought up several years later saying that we shouldn't have gotten rid of him. And yet nobody is saying a word about Sparano.

I'm not a Sparano advocate. I feel that any coach who brings his team into the season as unprepared as he did should be fired. But I am just shocked that nobody advocates that he should still be the coach, for whatever reason.

The unanimity of it all is what I find shocking.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 pm 

I think we are all in agreement is because we knew it was gonna happen. he was basically fired once already. What should have happened was that either he should have been able to finish out the season because there was not much else to lose except Luck or RG3. or at least have the courtesy to fire him before his Monday morning press conference. Either way the deck was stacked against him before the season even started.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sparano was an awful head coach and deserved to be fired. I am glad he is gone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:53 pm 

degs wrote:
Larryfinfan wrote:

My point when posting the thread was that NOBODY is saying a single word about losing Sparano. I find that shocking. Even when Cameron was fired there were people who thought he should have continued on as head coach.

I mentioned Camarillo, in that he was an absolute nothing player and still we hear his name brought up several years later saying that we shouldn't have gotten rid of him. And yet nobody is saying a word about Sparano.

I'm not a Sparano advocate. I feel that any coach who brings his team into the season as unprepared as he did should be fired. But I am just shocked that nobody advocates that he should still be the coach, for whatever reason.

The unanimity of it all is what I find shocking.

Yeah I think it's just because we saw it coming. I was on board with keeping him, while he wasn't perfect he was a good motivator.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sparano's days were numbered the second Ross took over the team. You could just see that he was waiting to put his stamp on the franchise and bring in his own staff. The Trifecta was from the previous owner and quite frankly it wasn't working out liked we all had hoped it would. The only piece that was worth salvaging was Ireland and we did that. The rest we scrapped.

We didn't loose Sparano, we fired him. The only part that sucks is we gave him that extension. That was a mistake that I'm sure Ross has learned from. Don't give a bad coach an extension, especially one who is on the hot seat and you plan to replace. The NFL is a business and giving a bad coach money to say you're sorry is a losing proposition every time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:30 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Sparano deserved to be fired. The Dolphins got worse not better during his time. His continuous struggle to fix the offensive line, celebrating FG's instead of finding ways to score more TD's, the Dolphins performance in 2011 while he was head coach. The Dolphins were in a total tail spin. There just wasn't anything left to do but fire him. You either win or you go in the NFL. That's the harsh reality of being a head coach in the NFL. This is big business and all about money. Ross needs "cheeks in the seats" to pay the bills. He is selling entertainment. Unfortunately Sparano's inability to win was costing Ross Millions in lost revenue. Whether you go to the games or buy Directv's Sunday Ticket, you are spending $ to be entertained.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:17 am 

That extension meant nothing to Ross. It was just his way of saving face. That whole press conference when he did give Sparano that extension was just another PT Barnum scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:00 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Phins Rock wrote:

Exactly....

And whats there to say about Sparano? The guy got screwed by people he probably trusted. Who knows how the whole Ross/Ireland thing went. And being under the Parcells shadow when successful then thrown to the wolves when BP left like a thief in the night.

I have no beef with Sparano aside from being jet now. The guy did the best he could with what BP & JI gave him to work with...
BP is the one who came out smelling like a rose, his first two years were filled with draft and FA busts. Like really bad IMO...

It sucks losing a guy like Greg, he was a hard worker and had great hands. And it suck Sapp didnt work out. But thats part of the game. Neither side won in that situation... So its a good trade.
But IMO Hartline is better. Hartline is solid, he was just under utilized.

I think we will see our WR's utilized alot differently this year, and I think Hartline fits Philbin/Shermans style. Not to mention the dude is a pure beast when it comes to going up and fighting for the ball. A key strength to have when not knowing who is throwing you the ball this week....

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]