Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:14 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

LATEST NEWS:

Quote:
RE Cameron Wake is no longer attending Dolphins' voluntary workouts.

Wake rejoined the Dolphins' offseason program last week following a "face to face, man to man" conversation with new coach Joe Philbin, but must have gotten wind he isn't close to receiving a new deal. Wake is clearly struggling with how to handle his quest for an extension, but it's now a distinct possibility he skips Miami's mandatory June minicamp. Talks could heat up once the draft comes and goes.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5203/cameron-wake

The title of this thread is getting out of hand lol!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:12 pm 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
I'm not confident we should even give Wake the extension just yet. We have a new defensive system we're looking to install, I feel we should make Wake play for his money. If he proves that he can contribute in our new defense the way he has in the past then I'm confident giving him a long term deal mid-season would be a good idea.
Wake is a great player, one who I'd love to see us re-sign. But at the end of the day he isn't worth $12M+ a season. We're better of finding a trade partner and unloading him for a pair of high picks. He's an elite pass rusher, we could probably get a 2nd this year and a 1st next year from somebody.
If we loose Wake, we'll likely have to switch to a 4-3 since we don't have enough outside linebackers that can rush the passer to run a 4-3. We do however have plenty of big men up front to make a very good front four. Dansby and Burnett are solid linebackers, we'd just need to find one or two more guys to compete for the third linebacker spot. Ireland has proven he can find linebackers in the past, I'm sure he could do it again.

Trade Long .... Trade Wake .... man is there anyone you won't trade?

Rebuilding is tough work. You might have to make sacrifices like trading everyone.
Will it matter? Miami is 0-1 before the season even starts. For Miami to even have a chance at becoming somewhat competitive it might be best to just start completely over.

When the Texans wipe the floor with Miami for the first game, are you going to feel better because they still had Long and Wake? I agree that it makes sense to keep the hard working and productive players, but with no stud QB, No stud WR's, there is no getting close to championships or even play offs.
So I could care less who they cut to build the team CORRECTLY.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:46 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Dolphins hold all of the leverage here. Wake is 30 so giving him a big long term deal is out of the question. We cannot afford to pay this man $50M over the next five seasons. He's productive now, but will he be the same player in three years??? He's got one more year on his contract, then we have the option to franchise tag him next year. If we do things that way Wake will be locked down until he is 32, and it will cost us around $9M over the next two years to keep him. Then we can offer him a much more affordable contract in 2014 that won't break the bank. Wake isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The sooner he figures out he's not getting a deal, and he isn't getting traded, the sooner he'll get back out there and play. He may not like it, but he really doesn't have a choice if he wants to play football. If he sits out for the season, he'll still have to honor his contract when he wants to return. I think the Dolphins would be wise to do what is best for the franchise and not for Wake. Because giving Wake a big contract is only good for Wake, not the Dolphins.

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2