All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:44 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Now I know I may get bashed after this post but this for all the hopeful Dolphin fans out there. I am really tired of hearing all the negative comments and people on the radio blasting off on this whole situation.

I believe that Jeff Ireland has been targeting Ryan Tannehill from day 1 and here is why I believe so.

Peyton Manning: Yes I believe the Dolphins really wanted him. There is no question about that. But is it really Ireland's fault that the Broncos have an experienced head coach who took his team to the playoffs and has also took his team to the Super Bowl (Panthers)? I don't think Manning ever even had the Dolphins as a choice. Why cause he had a house here and many experts and the media associated Manning with the Dolphins? I don't think Ireland is to blame for not getting Manning. Even if we got Manning, I believe that the Dolphins would still have drafted Tannehill.

Matt Flynn: I believe the "low ball" offer was made because the major plan has always been to draft Tannehill. I don't think the Dolphins wanted to commit long term and give Flynn a big contract because they still had plans in drafting Tannehill. Philbin knows Flynn very well and if they really thought he was the answer, I am sure they could have gotten him and paid the money.

Last Year: Oh man do I remember last year...
Missed out on Kyle Orton. He lost his job to Tim Tebow and went 1-4 to start the year for the Broncos.
Missed out on Vince Young. Played a couple of games and did not impress. Today hes looking for a job and has generated absolutely zero interest around the league.
Didn't trade up to draft Blaine Gabbert. One of the worst quarterbacks last season.
Didn't draft Colin Kaepernick. This guy was by far the worst quarterback in pre-season. I saw them all, he was horrible!
Didn't trade up for Ponder or Locker. The verdict is till out on these two, but thus far they have yet to prove anything.
Cam Newton was obviously out of our reach.
Andy Dalton was the only player we missed on.

Well let me break the news to you, Matt Moore was better than Orton, Young, Gabbert, and Kaepernick. Yet everyone was hating that decision.

Brandon Marshall[/b]: I am so glad we got that guy out of here. We received draft picks instead of players. Meaning that we our looking towards the future.

People you build through the draft! There aren't too many free agent quarterbacks that winning championships. Drew Brees was an exception because the Chargers had Phillip Rivers. But Brees had a superb year in his final year with the Chargers. Everybody knew what they were getting with Brees.

If the Miami Dolphins do not get Ryan Tannehill, then everything I just said can go out the door along with Jeff Ireland. But if they do, then I believe that was always the master plan. Forget about the past. We are only in March and everyone is getting desperate and jumping the gun.

There is a reason that Tannehill is flying up the draft boards. Its not because the NFL is a QB needy league, but because Tannehill only started 19 games at quarterback and not many experts had studied him well. Omar Kelly said it himself, at first he wasn't high on him until he started watching all the tapes. Now he sees Ryan Tannehill as a 1st round quarterback.

So lets have some optimism and hope that Ryan Tannehill was always the main target. If they don't get him, then I can seriously say that there was never a plan and if there was, we didn't have the proper leaders to execute it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:46 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Again, let's not forget that we could've never offered Manning a 5 year, $95 million contract. It would've set our cap back for years.

Nice write up though Carver!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:54 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

:bravo: :bravo:

How many of us will be booing when they pick an OL with our first pick? We better get Tannehill or I am going to send a strongly worded e-mail to Mr. Ireland.

Last edited by Dolfanrar on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:55 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

TheCarver13 wrote:
I believe that Jeff Ireland has been targeting Ryan Tannehill from day 1 and here is why I believe so.

I currently have the same train of thought, though more that they want to draft a qb not necessarily Tannehill.

I'm also not that upset about FA so far.....they went after and got a good nickel as well as getting Soliai for another 2 seasons. It would have been impossible to replace Soliai thru FA or the draft, which would have caused a need to change up the defense.

I see the FO thinking of doubling down on WR in the draft. I also see them doubling down on qbs, but 1 in the draft and 1 in FA. And it seems that everyone keeps forgetting that you do not need a traditional #1 WR using their WC offense. You do need guys that can get open when being covered 1-on-1 by running crisp routes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:04 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dolfanrar wrote:

How many of us will be booing when they pick an OL with our first pick? We better get Tannehill or I am going to send a strongly worded e-mail to Mr. Ireland.

And if Tannehill goes number 4 to Cleveland?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:06 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Iowafin wrote:
Dolfanrar wrote:

And if Tannehill goes number 4 to Cleveland?

We trade up to 6 and snag Blackmon... we gotta put some talent around the QB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:14 pm 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

We do need receivers. I do not care if we traded Marshall but what we got in return was not enough. He is a knuckle head, tho.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:09 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Please, let's not start "we have to do whatever it takes to get Tanehill". Didn't we just go through this with Manning & Flynn?

The Brown's need a QB more than we do + they have 2 first round picks thanks to the Raiders (a truly inept franchise). If the Brown's want Tanehill, there's not much we can do to get him.

I'm fine with Moore as our starter next year, as long as we draft a QB the organizftion regards highly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Maybe the Dolphins are comfortable with Matt Moore. Outside of Manning, Luck and RG111 is there really a franchise QB in this draft. Don't be surprised if the Dolphins are unwilling to use a first round pick on Tannehill.

I would be very surprised if Cleveland uses their #4 pick on Tannehill. They might use their late first round pick on him. Remember, Matt Barkley is coming out next year, and Cleveland will invariably be in line to get him.

Miami will draft a QB project this year, but it might be late in the draft. They could draft Kellen Moore in the 6th or 7th round.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:32 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Miami hit the daily-double the past few years. First, when Ross went behind Sparano's back to try and hire Harbaugh, he pissed off every coach in the league who felt that was a bush-league and low class move. Which it was. Then Ireland goes asking Dez Bryant if his mother was a hooker, and lets be honest, most NFL players aren't born with a silver spoon in their mouth and some might have family members or friends who are pimps or hookers and that offended them. Not to mention its just a classless thing to ask, who cares what his mother was or is, judge the man and the player for who he is currently! So, you got the coaches pissed off at the Dolphins and you got the players pissed off at the Dolphins. What the hell is left!

The ONLY way to fix it is for Ross to go into hiding for like 2-3 years. No media, no interviews, no nothing. Show up and watch the games from the owners box but say nothing. Let your pocket book speak. And Ireland needs to overspend on a few key guys who can come here, turn this thing around, and then spread the word that ..."Miami ain't a bad place to play." Only way to change that perception is to WIN and to do that they will need to overpay once in a while to bring a guy in to speed up that process.

Problem is Ross talks like a teenage girl; constantly. And he is always putting his foot in his mouth. And Ireland doesn't understand nobody likes him he will continue to strike out and only land the Richard Marshall's and Art Hick's of the world unless he changes his ways

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:36 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Players don't want to play for Ireland., so they do not want to come here.
It has nothing to do with football.
This is not going to change anytime soon.

Ireland has to go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Miami hit the daily-double the past few years. First, when Ross went behind Sparano's back to try and hire Harbaugh, he pissed off every coach in the league who felt that was a bush-league and low class move. Which it was. Then Ireland goes asking Dez Bryant if his mother was a hooker, and lets be honest, most NFL players aren't born with a silver spoon in their mouth and some might have family members or friends who are pimps or hookers and that offended them. Not to mention its just a classless thing to ask, who cares what his mother was or is, judge the man and the player for who he is currently! So, you got the coaches pissed off at the Dolphins and you got the players pissed off at the Dolphins. What the hell is left!

Ya, every coach in the league that you interviewed right? Philbin was so pissed he didn't sign here either. Oh wait.

If you said to somebody, "my mother works for a pimp" .... what is the natural thought process by the person who's being told this?

Quote:
The ONLY way to fix it is for Ross to go into hiding for like 2-3 years. No media, no interviews, no nothing. Show up and watch the games from the owners box but say nothing. Let your pocket book speak. And Ireland needs to overspend on a few key guys who can come here, turn this thing around, and then spread the word that ..."Miami ain't a bad place to play." Only way to change that perception is to WIN and to do that they will need to overpay once in a while to bring a guy in to speed up that process.

Problem is Ross talks like a teenage girl; constantly. And he is always putting his foot in his mouth. And Ireland doesn't understand nobody likes him he will continue to strike out and only land the Richard Marshall's and Art Hick's of the world unless he changes his ways

While I agree that Ross needs to stay out of the media ...... where has he been these past couple months? I haven't seen him taking center stage. Perhaps he's already learning.

Apparently guys like Karlos Dansby, Reggie Bush, Kevin Burnett, Richard Marshall etc. etc. don't count for anything if we're keeping tabs on who Ireland has signed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:49 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Hahahaha, another right thinking individual voices his opinion about Ireland.
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/Dolfans-Ba ... 28866.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:19 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

A GM is not supposed to be a player's friend. He has to be impartial and make the tough decisions so his team is competetive....................Am I the only one who saw Moneyball?

:grin:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
A GM is not supposed to be a player's friend. He has to be impartial and make the tough decisions so his team is competetive....................Am I the only one who saw Moneyball?

I mentioned it in one of my posts today. Friggin' love that film.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
Hahahaha, another right thinking individual voices his opinion about Ireland.
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/Dolfans-Ba ... 28866.html

Did you go through that Post-Marino Era photo slideshow? Depressing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:50 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rock Sexton wrote:
shularino wrote:

I mentioned it in one of my posts today. Friggin' love that film.

Rock, sorry I did not catch your earlier quote.

Moneyball does have a lot of relevance..................players interested in winning should respect a strong GM, but "LIKE" should not be in the equation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Even if Tannehill wasn't the end-all target...

Missing out on Manning had little to do with Ireland.

Missing out on Flynn...wasn't everyone saying that if Miami didn't want him then he wasn't worth it. We didn't show too much interest in the guy, so the evaluation must have been that he wasn't much of an upgrade over Moore for a "mere" $8m a year. Why is everyone making him out to be the saviour now that Seattle got him to compete for the job?

I hope we get Tannehill, but I'm fine with going into the season with Moore as the starter, as long as we improve the OLine blocking for him and get him another target.

I just saw someone compare Ireland to Matt Millen. I don't get those comparisons. He has brought a lot of talent to this team. Yet he's blamed because the Head Coach couldn't get his players ready for the season. That's the coaches job, not the GM's.

There are problems in Miami but it's ridiculous what is being said.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

It doesn't matter if Ireland is a good scout and has brought good talent here.
A large number of players DO NOT want to play for him after his dilemma with Dez.

This is a major issue.
I agree, when talking Football alone Ireland can build a team, but this is about Miami off and on the field and Ireland gives players a bad taste.

He is the final piece that needs to go.
I am sorry but it's the truth.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

soulman83 wrote:
A large number of players DO NOT want to play for him after his dilemma with Dez.

Did you poll them all on that? LOL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:25 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

To go back to the Moneyball references, do sabremetrics and advanced statistics exist in football and the NFL?

I'm just a casual fan, and never attended a school with a football team until college, so all the learned nuances and competition scouting is foreign to me.

I know they've existed in baseball for years, even beyond Bill James, and in soccer over the last two decades Manchester United and Real Madrid have lived on advanced statistics. With John Henry buying Liverpool, now they've hired statistics nerds to figure out trends.

I'm just wondering if anyone's ever tried studying football through math, and if so, what the results were.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

soulman83 wrote:

How many players 'play' for the GM?
I thought they play for the coach. Maybe even the owner in some cases. But I've never heard of someone playing for the GM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:43 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Look, if you put the money in front of these guys, they will come.

In regards to Ireland, the perception of him is not high and I do have my reservation about him sometimes.

The Dez Braynt situation will stay with him for a long time, but there nothing that can be done about that and you hope he has learned from that situation.

I could care less about Joey Porter or Ryan Clark spouting off. Both are darn loudmouths.

I have more problems with the owner for sure.

Jeff had a solid draft last year and needs to definitely have another good draft this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:54 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

PEOPLE OUR ORGANIZATION IS CRUMPLING...!!! WHY IS IRELAND STILL OUR GM ? WHY..???

WE MUST DO SOMETHING NOW !!!!

HEADS MUST ROLL.....!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:27 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

soulman83 wrote:

This is a major issue.
I agree, when talking Football alone Ireland can build a team, but this is about Miami off and on the field and Ireland gives players a bad taste.

Players play for the highest bidder, not the nicest GM. The Dolphins aren't willing to break the bank for free agents.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:28 am 

LA Fins Fan wrote:
PEOPLE OUR ORGANIZATION IS CRUMPLING...!!! WHY IS IRELAND STILL OUR GM ? WHY..???

But he is the guy that signed the object of your affection... Matt Moore...

You should be worshipping Ireland.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:38 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
soulman83 wrote:

This is a major issue.

Players play for the highest bidder, not the nicest GM. The Dolphins aren't willing to break the bank for free agents.

I'd be willing to bet that Ireland is a warm and fuzzy kind of guy compared to many other GM's.
After all, what do you expect from high level corporate executives, in multi-billion dollar businesses, in an industry where tough-as-nails is what you expect from the employees at every level?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:38 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
Then yesterday on NFL Network, former Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter blew up Ireland on national television. He blamed the Dolphins inability to close on, say, Peyton Manning and Flynn on Ireland.
"I think Jeff Ireland has a big part to do with it," Porter said. "I don't think when you come in being recruited by him, you totally believe things coming out of his mouth. I think he's a guy that's not trustworthy. He really doesn't hold up to what a GM's supposed to be."
Well, I really don't think Porter holds up to what a man is supposed to be. Porter is a great guy to have on a team when things are good. But as soon as things go bad, he becomes part of the problem. And as soon as he's no longer getting his way or is out of contract, he bites the hand that feeds him. He previously blew up Cam Cameron. He previously blew up Tony Sparano. He previously blew up Mike Tomlin.
The guy has a history for ripping people that either cut him, let him go in free agency, or stood up to him. So while you don't have to dismiss his criticism, at least understand where it originates.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TheCarver13 wrote:
Quote:
Then yesterday on NFL Network, former Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter blew up Ireland on national television. He blamed the Dolphins inability to close on, say, Peyton Manning and Flynn on Ireland.
"I think Jeff Ireland has a big part to do with it," Porter said. "I don't think when you come in being recruited by him, you totally believe things coming out of his mouth. I think he's a guy that's not trustworthy. He really doesn't hold up to what a GM's supposed to be."
Well, I really don't think Porter holds up to what a man is supposed to be. Porter is a great guy to have on a team when things are good. But as soon as things go bad, he becomes part of the problem. And as soon as he's no longer getting his way or is out of contract, he bites the hand that feeds him. He previously blew up Cam Cameron. He previously blew up Tony Sparano. He previously blew up Mike Tomlin.
The guy has a history for ripping people that either cut him, let him go in free agency, or stood up to him. So while you don't have to dismiss his criticism, at least understand where it originates.

..... and yet there are people on this site who want to get behind Porter's rants. The guy is a joke. He's turned on every single coach he's had almost.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:02 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
TheCarver13 wrote:
Quote:

..... and yet there are people on this site who want to get behind Porter's rants. The guy is a joke. He's turned on every single coach he's had almost.

No. Most people take Porters comments for what they are however when you include Ireland's entire record of trying to get a franchise QB for the last 5 years...it pretty much sucks. You throw that in with all the other bits of hearsay from people like Manning where he dissed the FO then you start to see a pattern of a front office that no one wants to sign on with. Sorry, just facts. Too many people on here are willing to give that guy a pass. Sorry, evidence is building.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:09 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
No. Most people take Porters comments for what they are however when you include Ireland's entire record of trying to get a franchise QB for the last 5 years...it pretty much sucks. You throw that in with all the other bits of hearsay from people like Manning where he dissed the FO then you start to see a pattern of a front office that no one wants to sign on with. Sorry, just facts. Too many people on here are willing to give that guy a pass. Sorry, evidence is building.

Selective, self-serving evidence. He's been neither a bust nor a savior.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:26 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Selective, self-serving evidence. He's been neither a bust nor a savior.

Which is what indicting those siting Porter's Comments is. The truth lies inbetween as you just said. The bottom line is if this team has another 6-10 season, I think you have to move on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Which is what indicting those siting Porter's Comments is. The truth lies inbetween as you just said. The bottom line is if this team has another 6-10 season, I think you have to move on.

When you have bad things to say about every man who previously cut you, you're not worth listening to. Not to mention he himself is a dirtball .... a low character guy. What do I care if he thinks players wouldn't want to come here?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

When you have bad things to say about every man who previously cut you, you're not worth listening to. Not to mention he himself is a dirtball .... a low character guy. What do I care if he thinks players wouldn't want to come here?

Because while a lot of guys take the high road and say nothing, Porter is a low life who will speak his mind. You temper his comments like his and Crowders but at the same time, you filesaveas for future. If they turn out to be nonsense, then move on. I'm not on the fire him now bus but I'm also not in the camp of he can do no wrong....which seems to be the division on these boards.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:42 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

NFLJunkie wrote:
I'm not on the fire him now bus but I'm also not in the camp of he can do no wrong....which seems to be the division on these boards.

Who has said anything about Ireland not being able to do wrong? Show me that person, cause I have not seen that from anyone yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:52 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I could care less what Jpeezy and Sapp and Ryan think about Miami or Ireland. I don't care what LaCanfora or Lombardi think either... There are backdrops to all these stories about who has come here and who has not and why. You can say we lost Fisher because of Ireland too, but that's not the real truth to the story. Not every move he's made is wrong or bad, but there has to be something going on that there are some issues between him and his players/coaches. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

That said, jumping up and down on him right now is rather dumb. He's not going anywhere until at the very least, after the draft... He likely won't go then because Mr. Loss has an affinity to him. He gave up his coveted 'name brand' coach over Irish, so this won't stop him either.

I don't like every move he's made. I actually think it's time that Philbin starts talking publicly now to appease the fan base. Start talking about how he's going to use certain guys, etc... Get the conversation off of Irish for now...

Mr. Loss isn't going to make a move on Irish now until after the draft...calm down folks and see what develops from here...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:18 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

keebler_kahn wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
I'm not on the fire him now bus but I'm also not in the camp of he can do no wrong....which seems to be the division on these boards.

Who has said anything about Ireland not being able to do wrong? Show me that person, cause I have not seen that from anyone yet.

Very simple, criticize his hair color in a post and see how many times you get called an idiot. Seriously, I posted that his situation needs to watched and he needs to be given a short leash. It was a fair assessment given his track record. I was taken to task as it being a knee jerk reaction. I think some people will defend him to the end while others are over the top fire him now. I'm kind of in the middle right now. I think it would be stupid to fire him now because of a lack of replacement however, I think the end of the season is fair game if this team doesn't make the playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:09 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

LA Fins Fan wrote:

"YAWN!"

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]