All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:38 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I guess it's only news when Miami gets rejected.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:45 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

How about this headline:

"Inept Denver front office signs over the hill QB with nerve-damaged noodle arm"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:46 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

gatorphin wrote:
I guess it's only news when Miami gets rejected.

Ya it's really nifty how they can selectively use adjectives like "spurn" or "struck out" ......

Wow Harbaugh's looking really good right now ..... he was ready to bail on Smith like he was infected with a life threatening virus ...... Are they talking about that yet? Course not.

How about Bud Adams? Talk about ownership meddling.

Oh the media.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

To counter...Let's see did Flynn go to Tenn, ummm, no. Did Flynn go to SF, again no. Arizona, no. What about Smith and Tenn, or Arizona? Hmmmm Garrard, negative. There is a clear reason why they are on Miami, 3 swings and 3 misses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
To counter...Let's see did Flynn go to Tenn, ummm, no. Did Flynn go to SF, again no. Arizona, no. What about Smith and Tenn, or Arizona? Hmmmm Garrard, negative. There is a clear reason why they are on Miami, 3 swings and 3 misses.

Ya because they're purveyors of sensationalism ..... appears to be right up your alley.

We offered contracts we felt were in line with their value and stuck to their guns. That's called discipline. Only the desperate start making it rain with money when they've been struggling.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:24 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

ytnewton wrote:

Is Flynn a franchise caliber QB, ummm no.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:32 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rock Sexton wrote:
We offered contracts we felt were in line with their value and stuck to their guns. That's called discipline. Only the desperate start making it rain with money when they've been struggling.

I'm with you Rock... it sucks, but it is what it is... I know, played out...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphinfanbob wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

I'm with you Rock... it sucks, but it is what it is... I know, played out...

Look at the contract Manning is about to get from Denver .... 5 years $95 million. We stood zero chance of matching that and if we even tried it would wreck our salary cap structure for years.

As for Flynn, you ask yourself "OK how much better is he than Moore" at this stage and then you arrive at a nominal figure as to what you'd pay him. If he's not a clear cut above Moore to the coaching staff then you don't overpay, not one cent.

Maybe I've seen "Moneyball" too many times, but I seriously hate watching my team overpay out of desperation thinking it's the key to winning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:

Maybe I've seen "Moneyball" too many times, but I seriously hate watching my team overpay out of desperation thinking it's the key to winning.

Agree. 4 Yrs from now the media may been looking back & talking about the great decisions Miami made this offseason. We simply have to see how things play out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Agree. 4 Yrs from now the media may been looking back & talking about the great decisions Miami made this offseason. We simply have to see how things play out.

It's funny because when I see this kind of panic in my line of work, usually a reversal is coming. LOL.

Right now the media just wants a whipping post and it's got one. Predicting doom for a franchise which just brought on a new coach and a new philosophy at this juncture is a premature as it gets. We haven't even seen their draft yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:55 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:

Yes, I would say you have.

I've done a little bashing of the FO/owners around here, but I'm certainly not a bridge jumper. I just don't believe this group is doing a very good job of identifying what market value is.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

Ya because they're purveyors of sensationalism ..... appears to be right up your alley.

LOL, you crack me up, couldn't be more right Rock; preach it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:57 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:

I've done a little bashing of the FO/owners around here, but I'm certainly not a bridge jumper. I just don't believe this group is doing a very good job of identifying what market value is.

Oh please. Manning is worth 5 years $95 million after 4 neck surgies and hitting the age of 36? Matt Flynn and all two starts of him is worth 3 years $26 million? Sorry bud. That's only market value to desperate teams.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:14 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

Oh please. Manning is worth 5 years $95 million after 4 neck surgies and hitting the age of 36? Matt Flynn and all two starts of him is worth 3 years $26 million? Sorry bud. That's only market value to desperate teams.

Hahaha, let's see if you (Homer) feels the same way when they trade a pick for Tebow. I'm not saying Peyton was worth that cash, Flynn maybe. I guess we will know in a year or so. What about Anderson or Winston? Me thinks you are on the Ross payroll too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

Hahaha, let's see if you (Homer) feels the same way when they trade a pick for Tebow. I'm not saying Peyton was worth that cash, Flynn maybe. I guess we will know in a year or so. What about Anderson or Winston? Me thinks you are on the Ross payroll too.

netwon, your not new around here, you should know better than to call Rock a homer. That's funny even.
:embarrassed:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:

LOL Mark Anderson. Another "situational" one year wonder.

Winston was the only guy I'd be aggressive with. Alas, as I've said they have a lot of contracts coming up that they need to lock up long term. It's pretty clear they intend to fill holes via the draft.

I'll get off Ross's pay roll as soon as you stop stalking his and Ireland's lives.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:38 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:

I wonder if Pete Carroll is scratching his head wondering why the Dolphins, who have Flynn's quarterback coach, did not match their offer. Maybe we know something.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

I wonder if Pete Carroll is scratching his head wondering why the Dolphins, who have Flynn's quarterback coach, did not match their offer. Maybe we know something.

Maybe he punched a lady at a party? :???

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:13 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Thanks, guys. You helped write today's blog.

http://www.phinfever.com/newsite/index. ... 2&Itemid=1

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:36 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

LOL Mark Anderson. Another "situational" one year wonder.

Winston was the only guy I'd be aggressive with. Alas, as I've said they have a lot of contracts coming up that they need to lock up long term. It's pretty clear they intend to fill holes via the draft.

I'll get off Ross's pay roll as soon as you stop stalking his and Ireland's lives.

Stalking their lives, what does that even mean???
In his "situational"role he got 10 sacks.
I can't wait until they trade for Tebow and give up a pick, maybe then you will stop drinking their juice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:44 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
Stalking their lives, what does that even mean???
In his "situational"role he got 10 sacks.
I can't wait until they trade for Tebow and give up a pick, maybe then you will stop drinking their juice.

It means get off their nuts .... go outside and get some fresh air. This team under Joe Philbin hasn't even had it's first draft yet. Championships are not won in free agency.

Where are all these teams beating down Anderson's door to sign him? Man the Titans should be scorned for having him walk out of their meeting on Sunday without a contract. It's because his production over his NFL tenure has been erratic. He practically disappeared off the face of the planet after his rookie season with the Bears.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Clever.....but I think it's you on their nuts with the way you are making excuses for their shortcomings. You continue to almost apologize for them and the simple fact that players don't want to come and play here. I am fine with the moves they have made so far, especially BMarsh, I just think they have missed the boat on some of these guys too. I expect little else to happen before the draft so we we will see what they can do with that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
Clever.....but I think it's you on their nuts with the way you are making excuses for their shortcomings. You continue to almost apologize for them and the simple fact that players don't want to come and play here. I am fine with the moves they have made so far, especially BMarsh, I just think they have missed the boat on some of these guys too. I expect little else to happen before the draft so we we will see what they can do with that.

Let's analyze that statement one more time ...... "Players don't want to come here"

Explain to me Dansby, Burnett, Bush, and Marshall (both). Then in the same breath you say "I'm fine with the moves so far" to create further ironies.

They have a set value they place on players due to salary cap implications and if they cannot get the players for the right price, they move on instead of over-extending themselves. Again, great teams build thru the draft and manage their cap. We haven't even seen a draft yet with Philbin and his staff. Most of this crap has to do with Peyton Manning who was never coming here in the first place. We couldn't even afford him. Once that bubble popped all the guys pining to find any reason to declare "Danger Will Robinson" crawled up from out of their fox holes.

I do not find them faultless by the way. Ireland should've never gone into last season with turnstile like Colombo manning right tackle and last year Ross was making a spectacle of himself with comments in the media. His comments about Henne being the next Dan Marino and finding the next Don Shula were just pure nonsense. Alas, I've noticed as of late (especially during this Manning spectacle) he has remained low profile. It's the media who won't let him live down his previous mistakes and if he doesn't throw a boat load of dough at any free agent declared "the next Miami Dolphins franchise QB" then they label him a moron.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

Let's analyze that statement one more time ...... "Players don't want to come here"

Explain to me Dansby, Burnett, Bush, and Marshall (both). Then in the same breath you say "I'm fine with the moves so far" to create further ironies.

They have a set value they place on players due to salary cap implications and if they cannot get the players for the right price, they move on instead of over-extending themselves. Again, great teams build thru the draft and manage their cap. We haven't even seen a draft yet with Philbin and his staff. Most of this crap has to do with Peyton Manning who was never coming here in the first place. We couldn't even afford him. Once that bubble popped all the guys pining to find any reason to declare "Danger Will Robinson" crawled up from out of their fox holes.

I do not find them faultless by the way. Ireland should've never gone into last season with turnstile like Colombo manning right tackle and last year Ross was making a spectacle of himself with comments in the media. His comments about Henne being the next Dan Marino and finding the next Don Shula were just pure nonsense. Alas, I've noticed as of late (especially during this Manning spectacle) he has remained low profile. It's the media who won't let him live down his previous mistakes and if he doesn't throw a boat load of dough at any free agent the declared "the next Miami Dolphins franchise QB" then they label him a moron.

Couldn't have said it better. Seems with fans it's all or nothing; you can't hit some and miss some, you have to bat a 1000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:39 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

I do not find them faultless by the way. Ireland should've never gone into last season with turnstile like Colombo manning right tackle and last year Ross was making a spectacle of himself with comments in the media. His comments about Henne being the next Dan Marino and finding the next Don Shula were just pure nonsense. Alas, I've noticed as of late (especially during this Manning spectacle) he has remained low profile. It's the media who won't let him live down his previous mistakes and if he doesn't throw a boat load of dough at any free agent declared "the next Miami Dolphins franchise QB" then they label him a moron.

Bush and Marshall were traded, so it's not like they chose to come here. They were unwanted by their previous teams.

Danbsy happened under Parcell's watch, Ireland isn't getting credit from me for that one.

I will certainly give Ireland credit for Burnett, he really came on in the second half of the year and this looks like a great signing.

Richard Marshall I think is a good depth/nickel signing.

Again, I understand what you mean by not throwing cash everywhere simply for the sake of doing it. I just believe the way things are going it is going to be tough to get FA to come here. Perception is reality for everyone, the more people "don't want to come here", the less they will want to come here. If the word on the street among players or agents is that there is no stability or that the coach isn't calling the shots, it's going to be tough to convince them otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:48 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
Bush and Marshall were traded, so it's not like they chose to come here. They were unwanted by their previous teams.

They both signed new deals with us ..... that's not the trait of somebody who doesn't want to be here.

Quote:
Danbsy happened under Parcell's watch, Ireland isn't getting credit from me for that one.

I will certainly give Ireland credit for Burnett, he really came on in the second half of the year and this looks like a great signing.

Dansby came here while Parcells was all but out of the door. He was about as VP as I was of the Dolphins at that point.

Quote:
Again, I understand what you mean by not throwing cash everywhere simply for the sake of doing it. I just believe the way things are going it is going to be tough to get FA to come here. Perception is reality for everyone, the more people "don't want to come here", the less they will want to come here. If the word on the street among players or agents is that there is no stability or that the coach isn't calling the shots, it's going to be tough to convince them otherwise.

Winning gets free agents to wanna come here. Everyone else pays an extra premium, which the Dolphins have elected not to do. The rest is just talk.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

They both signed new deals with us ..... that's not the trait of somebody who doesn't want to be here.

Quote:

Dansby came here while Parcells was all but out of the door. He was about as VP as I was of the Dolphins at that point.

Quote:

Winning gets free agents to wanna come here. Everyone else pays an extra premium, which the Dolphins have elected not to do. The rest is just talk.

I didn't say they didn't want to be here once they were here. The problem is going to be getting them in the door, signed.

He was still in full control of the football operations until Sept. 2010, but I guess that's your opinion.

Of course winning gets them here, that's what I'm worried about.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
I didn't say they didn't want to be here once they were here. The problem is going to be getting them in the door, signed.

They had to agree to come to terms on those contracts. If they didn't want to come here, that would not have happened.

Quote:
He was still in full control of the football operations until Sept. 2010, but I guess that's your opinion.

It was well publicized. As early as October 2010, dude was already angling to leave because of the clause in his contract about Huizenga selling controlling interest in the team:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -imminent/

Quote:

Nah, you're worried about us lobbing money bombs at any free agents we can, just to get them signed to dispel this myth that all players don't want to play for the Dolphins. If you were worried about winning, you realize you don't get a title for most free agents signed. Patience. Build through the draft. Re-sign your own commodities to long term contracts (i.e. Long, Wake, Davis, etc.) Want a team that's always spend heavy in FA, go have a gander at the Redskins.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:35 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:

It was well publicized. As early as October 2010, dude was already angling to leave:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -imminent/

Quote:

Nah, you're worried about us lobbing money bombs at any free agents we can, just to get them signed to dispel this myth that all players don't want to play for the Dolphins. If you were worried about winning, you realize you don't get a title for most free agents signed. Patience. Build through the draft. Want a team that's always spend heavy in FA, go have a gander at the Redskins.

Dansby was signed in March 2010, 6 months earlier, your point?

Can you show me where I said any of those things? Oh yeah you are reaching again....

This team is mine, you go somewhere else.

Tebow is coming, what will you say, hahahahaha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:

Stephen Ross bought controlling interest in January 2009. Hence Parcells enacting the part of his contract allowing him to go into "consult" mode and grab the cash he was promised on his way out the door.

Quote:
Can you show me where I said any of those things? Oh yeah you are reaching again....

You're whole dissertation is that nobody wants to play here. It's sensationalism at it's finest. The only thing you've proven is that they haven't signed anyone YOU wanted.

Quote:

Won't happen on either account.

I will will buy you a Redskins jersey with the name "Free Agency Champions" on the back though for good measure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
ytnewton wrote:

Stephen Ross bought controlling interest in January 2009. Hence Parcells enacting the part of his contract allowing him to go into "consult" mode and grab the cash he was promised on his way out the door.

Quote:

You're whole dissertation is that nobody wants to play here. It's sensationalism at it's finest. The only thing you've proven is that they haven't signed anyone YOU wanted.

Quote:

Won't happen on either account.

I will will buy you a Redskins jersey with the name "Free Agency Champions" on the back though for good measure.

Right but he didn't relinquish his role of VP of football operations until somewhere around Sept of 2010. BTW why do you think he stepped down, (I know it was in his contract),I'm sure it's not because of your buddy Ross. I don't think is was the cash, he saw in 15 months what Ross was all about.
Again, you are inferring I want the most, not the case at all, just the best.

Hopefully the Garrard signing rules out Tebow. Oh you can add him to your list of Ireland signings if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:45 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Had Manning really wanted to win he would have gone to SF.

Cue Cyndi Lauper here. I see your true colors shining through, Manning.

Cash grab and a whimp move. Zero chance of really competing for a title.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]