Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Philbin wanted Flynn
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:03 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Armando Salguero is spot on with this article

Quote:
I am learning to stop underestimating the Dolphins' inability to land a quarterback.
After not getting a franchise QB last year, and not getting a player even they believed would compete for a starting job (Matt Moore was a surprise to them), and not drafting anyone, and pulling out of the Kyle Orton trade, and not getting Peyton Manning, now Miami is not getting Matt Flynn, either.
Flynn has agreed to a three-year deal with the Seattle Seahawks, according to Sports Illustrated and ESPN.
The Dolphins?
They're visiting with Alex Smith. They have another visit set up tomorrow with David Garrard.
How do you feel about that one?
I'm sure the Dolphins will eventually portray this as having a plan (yeah, right) and sticking to that plan of not overspending for any player (including a QB). I'm sure they'll eventually get the message out that Flynn was a nice but not great option.
Sorry, but some facts simply get in the way. For example, someone else apparently believes Flynn is worth a good but not great contract. Seattle is paying approximately $8 million per season -- probably less when the actual numbers come in -- and that's not exactly breaking the bank for a starting QB. Even the $10 million signing bonus is modest for a QB. All indications are the Dolphins thought Flynn to be that potential starter but still couldn't pay him that?
Well then, why did the personnel and offensive staff spend nearly 40 hours of total tape time studying this guy, a figure I was told by a source was conservative? Otherwise, why would coach Joe Philbin be calling him throughout the free agency process to make sure Flynn knew he was a major Miami target? Otherwise why did the Dolphins immediately pivot to Flynn once they knew they'd been eliminated from the Manning derby? Otherwise why did they offer the kid a contract?
Something went horribly wrong here. I was told three days ago Flynn was going to be Miami's guy. I was told it would take a significant screw up to fail to get him in a Dolphins uniform because the club believed he could win the starting job and Flynn liked the idea of playing for Philbin.
So what changed? What went wrong?
Obviously something.
Maybe Miami's inability to land a quarterback.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... l#comments#storylink=cpy

Post subject: Re: Philbin wanted Flynn
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:08 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I'm sorry but I don't believe ANYTHING SALGUERO SAYS!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:11 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Perhaps Ireland saw Flynn as nothing more than a backup looking for a chance to compete with Moore for the starting job and offered him a contract that reflected that opinion. The Seahawks on the other hand saw him as an upgrade over Jackson and thus offered him a starter contract. I think this loss of Flynn has more to do with Ireland than it does with Philbin. I think Philbin would have been just fine with us offering Flynn $8M a season in order to get him from Seattle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:35 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

wkloiber13 wrote:
Perhaps Ireland saw Flynn as nothing more than a backup looking for a chance to compete with Moore for the starting job and offered him a contract that reflected that opinion. The Seahawks on the other hand saw him as an upgrade over Jackson and thus offered him a starter contract. I think this loss of Flynn has more to do with Ireland than it does with Philbin. I think Philbin would have been just fine with us offering Flynn $8M a season in order to get him from Seattle.

This is actually my worst fear. That Philbin the coach with all the info on Flynn got vetoed by Ireland because he wanted to low ball the guy.

I wonder what the phone call between Philbin and Flynn when Flynn decided against Miami was like.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:09 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Gentlax13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

This is actually my worst fear. That Philbin the coach with all the info on Flynn got vetoed by Ireland because he wanted to low ball the guy.

I wonder what the phone call between Philbin and Flynn when Flynn decided against Miami was like.

Like I said in another thread. If I'm Philbin, I pack my bags and leave town. Expose these clowns in the front office for who they really are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:26 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gentlax13 wrote:

Philbin came to Miami with the understanding that he and Ireland would be working together and he would have a great deal of influence on personnell decisions.

NOWHERE is that more important than with the QB. And everyone knows that Philbin has more experience with Flynn than anyone in the league.

So why, other than for starting rumors, do you think Philbin got vetoed on his opinion of Flynn??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:59 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

degs wrote:
Philbin came to Miami with the understanding that he and Ireland would be working together and he would have a great deal of influence on personnell decisions.

NOWHERE is that more important than with the QB. And everyone knows that Philbin has more experience with Flynn than anyone in the league.

So why, other than for starting rumors, do you think Philbin got vetoed on his opinion of Flynn??

I think you bring up a good point here. Keep in mind that we did NOTHING last year with the quarterback position except for bring in Matt Moore whom just about no one knew who the heck he was. Ireland felt the other quarterbacks were not better than what he all ready had with Henne (and Henne stunk it up in 2010) and he put a price on each quarterback (Orton) ... and those quarterbacks wanted more than he thought they were worth. Guess what? He was right.

Let's wait for Flynn's explanation on this before we jump to wrong conclusions.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:11 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

While I do not want a coach to have enough control to dictate contract talks, I do think if your coach wants a player as a GM you have to try and make it happen.

The question here is whether or not Philbin & Ireland agreed on the contract, not necessarily the player. Flynn was here, and the deal was offered, so I am not going to jump off a bridge thinking Philbin was "vetoed" because they tried to get the guy.

The stories starting to swirl about players not wanting to play here are going to be Irelands demise. He is now the target, and I see Ross giving him the axe by the end of the year if this team struggles.

Ireland didnt want to give an unproven backup starter money and the starting job over Matt Moore. And while Moore may not be a top tier QB, he has proven himself more than Flynn, and deserves the chance at the job.
The only guy that could have came here and started without question is Manning. Every other FA QB is no different than Matt Moore. And that is the sad reality the FO has put us in again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:33 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I find it amazing how fans seem to think Philbin is going to be heartbroken he didn't get Flynn. Seriously, put this into perspective. When the guy accepted the job, and had multiple possible landing spots may I add, you don't think he had the chance to say "look I'll take this if I can get my guy Flynn and build around him,"? You don't think Ireland told him upfront that he is not paying premium dollar for a career backup so far?

Also consider Ryan Tannehill. Now I realize there are a few folks in here who don't buy into him but consider that even the staunchest critics have said the guy can be the real deal after watching his game tape. Is it a coincidence Miami is in a good position to get him and hired the guy who developed him? Is it a coincidence that he fits the description of the type of QB Ireland said he wanted last year when they were debating what to do with the position? Maybe he was the plan all along and getting a quick solution at a good price was just gravy.

PS, they still have a capable starter in Matt Moore.

Sorry but Salguero offers a lot of assumption and speculation, nothing concrete. More crap less substance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:49 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

While I still want to see what Moore can do this year, I wasn't overly enthused with Flynn. My main concern is when Ireland wants to start calling plays. Seems like that is about the only thing he's not doing to this team.....other than screwing 'em.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The title of this thread is misleading.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:02 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Very much so. I read that article yesterday and did not come away thinking that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:04 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

hab321 wrote:
My main concern is when Ireland wants to start calling plays. Seems like that is about the only thing he's not doing to this team.....other than screwing 'em.

This is the mentality that makes these things grow...

Is Miami the only team that did not land one of these FA's?

Has Miami not signed any big name FA under his watch?

The job of a GM is to figure out where and how to spend your money. If he folded and gave up more money for Flynn, then he would be forced to loose out elsewhere.

I think this media circus will be Irelands demise. Unfortunately he has added some talent to this team, and that is going to be shadowed by what he didnt do.

Is he a good GM? I really do not know...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:21 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich, this title is very misleading. No one even knows the truth behind all this and how this all came about and I tend to agree with folks that Flynn is not a major upgrade over Moore.

We shall see what happens in the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:27 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Good post Jammer. All these conspiracy theories make me laugh. Philbin not signing Flynn should tell us all we need to know regarding what kind of QB Flynn is. Think about it, you are a boss and you have someone under you that has shown flashes, but something is missing. You change jobs and you do not take this person with you, why? He's not all that. Switch it around where you believe he's gonna be a star and you hire him to work under you and he will make you look good. You pay the man whatever he wants. Philbin simply thinks Flynn is a backup. The packers also think FLynn is nothing more that a backup. They didn't even offer him a contract nor did the think they could get a pick for him so they let him walk. Maybe Sherman believes Tanehill is the man and we draft him. Just relax guy...the Packers, Steelers, Eagles have also done nothing in free agency. Matter of fact, the Eagles signed every star last year and still finished 8-8. The Skins have signed everyone and there mother over the years and they've done squat too. It's OK, relax. The draft didn't even happen yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Finhead34 wrote:
Rich, this title is very misleading.

This is an example that due to biases, some people will just see what they want to see;)

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:44 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

THANK YOU!
Where in his article does he name a source or credible link that puts Phillbin on the 'I want Flynn bus"?
Tons of assumptions are being made by people on this board and in the media about what is going on with this team in free agency yet no one knows the truth. If all the speculation and rumors are true, then Ireland deserves to get canned and we need a new owner. Somehow I think there is less validity to all this speculation than people are giving credit for. As Big Dave brought up, Ireland was right last year about the free agent qbs and he was right not to chase after Orton. Give the man some credit here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Good post Jammer. All these conspiracy theories make me laugh. Philbin not signing Flynn should tell us all we need to know regarding what kind of QB Flynn is. Think about it, you are a boss and you have someone under you that has shown flashes, but something is missing. You change jobs and you do not take this person with you, why? He's not all that. Switch it around where you believe he's gonna be a star and you hire him to work under you and he will make you look good. You pay the man whatever he wants. Philbin simply thinks Flynn is a backup. The packers also think FLynn is nothing more that a backup. They didn't even offer him a contract nor did the think they could get a pick for him so they let him walk. Maybe Sherman believes Tanehill is the man and we draft him. Just relax guy...the Packers, Steelers, Eagles have also done nothing in free agency. Matter of fact, the Eagles signed every star last year and still finished 8-8. The Skins have signed everyone and there mother over the years and they've done squat too. It's OK, relax. The draft didn't even happen yet.

Your exactly right. People are jumping off bridges here and the season, let alone the draft, hasn't even started.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
I think this media circus will be Irelands demise.

Yea I think the South Florida media is a joke and helps to further the problems associated with this franchise and fan turnout (at least they don't help matters). They are like sharks in the water, wanting to taste the blood. Ireland's biggest problem may be his inability to handle the media well. He is too secretive for his own good; much like Saban was.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:03 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phin wrote:
Your exactly right. People are jumping off bridges here and the season, let alone the draft, hasn't even started.

Maybe Miami shouldn't even play this year because Peter King has already dubbed them the worst team in the AFC East. I mean its March 2012, shouldn't we already be holding the 2013 Lombardi trophy after a week of free agency?

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]