Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:24 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Quote:
@AdamSchefter Filed to ESPN: Matt Flynn has agreed to terms witj Seattle on a 3-yr contract worth up to $26M w/$10M guaranteed.

Lost on both plan A and plan B. But don't worry guys--Omar tells us Ireland is a great poker player, so we should be getting our QB of the future in no time!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

has agreed on a deal with Seattle.

Tweets
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Filed to ESPN: Matt Flynn has agreed to terms witj Seattle on a 3-yr contract worth up to $26M w/$10M guaranteed.
7 minutes ago

That seemed to be a fair contract and one the Dolphins should have felt comfortable offering.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:27 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Wow, we must have really low-balled him because I am sure all things being equal he would have prefered to play in this system.

We may wind up having no viable challenge to Matt Moore once the offseason is said and done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

If I had to guess, it's the $10 million guaranteed that was the sticking point. That's comparable to the Kolb contract. This must mean Philbin and co. weren't that sold on his upside to be a "franchise qb". Turn the page.

We may sign Smith, or we might wait and see what happens when the Manning dominoes start falling. Hasselbeck as a stopgap while we groom Tannehill would be a decent option if PM signs with Tennessee. At this point, I don't know what to think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:30 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

TheBigFish wrote:

Lost on both plan A and plan B. But don't worry guys--Omar tells us Ireland is a great poker player, so we should be getting our QB of the future in no time!

If they wanted him & played poker to hard, then you get what you deserve.

By Miami chasing Manning & putting Flynn on the backburner told me they were not all into the guy.
I guess they view him close to Moore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The contract Flynn signed with the Seahawks seems pretty reasonable to me. Color me concerned now in regards to the QB hunt. Now, it certainly looks like it will be Ryan Tannehill in the draft, and they may have to trade up from 8th to make sure they get him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:32 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
Wow, we must have really low-balled him because I am sure all things being equal he would have prefered to play in this system.

We may wind up having no viable challenge to Matt Moore once the offseason is said and done.
They have Garrard coming in. No worries.

Maybe they can over pay Alex Smith now. Doubtful, but the fact they brought them in before the announcement proves they were not expecting him to sign.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:32 pm 

k-dash wrote:
If I had to guess, it's the $10 million guaranteed that was the sticking point. That's comparable to the Kolb contract.

Kolb got $20 million guaranteed.... not comparable.

If we keep being cheap with the most important position on the team, we will never address it.

Now we have to deal with Alex Smith, who is probably using us for leverage, has limited upside and will probably command more money than Flynn.

Or we wait around for the draft and get leaped over for Ryan Tannehill's services.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:33 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

phinsfansc wrote:
The contract Flynn signed with the Seahawks seems pretty reasonable to me. Color me concerned now in regards to the QB hunt. Now, it certainly looks like it will be Ryan Tannehill in the draft, and they may have to trade up from 8th to make sure they get him.

They will not trade up for a 2nd Rd Qtr back. They are going with Moore. Frankly I cannot believe they were not interested in Henne with all things considered.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
If I had to guess, it's the $10 million guaranteed that was the sticking point. That's comparable to the Kolb contract. This must mean Philbin and co. weren't that sold on his upside to be a "franchise qb". Turn the page.

We may sign Smith, or we might wait and see what happens when the Manning dominoes start falling. Hasselbeck as a stopgap while we groom Tannehill would be a decent option if PM signs with Tennessee. At this point, I don't know what to think.

I agree k-dash, although I would have not had a problem with the guaranteed money.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:37 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Really? Your going to still bring up Henne's name?

It sure looks like Tannehill is who they want now, however what's it now going to take in order to leap frog other teams in front of them?

If Flynn becomes an all-pro QB an leads Seattle to the playoffs, that will be par for the course.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Oh the joys of being a Dolphins fan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:40 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Henne :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:41 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:
Henne

injured 34 Yr old Garrard is their option now Keep on laughing :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:42 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:

I don't know when Ross/Ireland went from willing to pay anything for anyone to low balling a potential starting QB.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:44 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
By Miami chasing Manning & putting Flynn on the backburner told me they were not all into the guy.

That is what I have to hope is going on. Just because Pete Carroll wants a quarterback doesn't mean that the kid any good. I could have told him he was throwing away good money on Charlie Whitehurst.

Will we ever know the truth about this?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:45 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Kev1321 wrote:

You do realize Matt Moore and Pat Devlin are the only QB's on Miami's roster now??? :hithead:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:46 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:

That is what I have to hope is going on. Just because Pete Carroll wants a quarterback doesn't mean that the kid any good. I could have told him he was throwing away good money on Charlie Whitehurst.

Will we ever know the truth about this?

Yeap, we have to remember Carrol traded a 3rd for Whitehurst & also signed Jackson. Not a ringing endorsement for his picking of NFL Qtr backs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is a darn shame...seriously. I have just lost complete interest in this team now. I was really looking forward to the upcoming season and I don't even know if I will bother to watch the season opener. This is absurd.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:47 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

bobby0112 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

You do realize Matt Moore and Pat Devlin are the only QB's on Miami's roster now??? :hithead:

No, he doesn't know.

If Cleveland pipes up & draft Tannehill at the 4th spot, then Miami is looking at Moore & a 2nd or 3rd Rd Qtrback being the man. Unless anyone believes an aging injured Garrard is the answer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:01 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Look , its no big deal to lose out on a guy who you are anointing as you future QB who has only 2 career starts. However its time to look at the bigger picture once again. Flynn was Philbins guy , familiar with him , his system , been together on another team , etc. As recent as a few hours ago the Dolphins were Flynn's preferred choice. It has long been reported by all sources that Flynn & the Dolphins were clearly the most natural choice , the best fit , the best marriage if you will.
What happened?? Please someone give me a positive spin , are we losing guys we did not really want & if that is the case does this sit well with everyone? I am clearly not a homer but I can use an injection of homerism as of now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:05 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
Look , its no big deal to lose out on a guy who you are anointing as you future QB who has only 2 career starts. However its time to look at the bigger picture once again. Flynn was Philbins guy , familiar with him , his system , been together on another team , etc. As recent as a few hours ago the Dolphins were Flynn's preferred choice. It has long been reported by all sources that Flynn & the Dolphins were clearly the most natural choice , the best fit , the best marriage if you will.
What happened?? Please someone give me a positive spin , are we losing guys we did not really want & if that is the case does this sit well with everyone? I am clearly not a homer but I can use an injection of homerism as of now.

I think it goes back to what was said before....Philbin would know if Flynn was the real deal. I don't think he thought he was. If he did and Miami just low balled him to get a good deal, then they are as dumb as rocks and I'm not sure I can take another rebuilding season with this team.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Right now, Ross will be lucky if season ticket holders don't ask for a refund as this is not the right way to fill the stadium up and think about this, IF Tannehill is their number one target all along, then you risk Cleveland or another team taking him and on top of that, the draft is still a month away, so what will Ireland say to the Dolphin fans in the meantime?

This IMO is a huge black eye for the way this is being handled and Alex Smith had ONE decent year out of his 5 years and my guess he will command more than Flynn.

Gee wiz, Philbin must not have felt confident in Flynn OR Ireland hard balled too much on the negotiations and lost the deal altogether. Should be interesting to hear what they will come out and tell the fans.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:08 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

If we don't draft a QB with our 1st pick I think I will cry!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I've been a proponent of not over paying but not of just throwing your cards in either. Miami folded. They need to bring people in to seriously compete with Moore to be the starter and they've gone all in with Tannehill. They had better hope they get their man in the draft because otherwise, they can count on ticket sales plummeting.

BTW...all you Ireland supporters....this guy must be a real A-Hole for people to get one interview and then sign bad contracts elsewhere. Given his track record with FA's over the years.....I think this has to be his swan song. Miami either makes a run at the playoffs or Ireland needs to be sent packing. Sign someone who knows a little more about players and a little less about poker.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:12 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
k-dash wrote:
If I had to guess, it's the $10 million guaranteed that was the sticking point. That's comparable to the Kolb contract.

If we keep being cheap with the most important position on the team, we will never address it.

Now we have to deal with Alex Smith, who is probably using us for leverage, has limited upside and will probably command more money than Flynn.

Or we wait around for the draft and get leaped over for Ryan Tannehill's services.

Since when has anyone from this organization come forward and said that Matt Flynn was the future of this franchise? For all we know Philbin only considered him as competition for Moore and someone familiar from day one with his offense. Everyone here is assuming that Miami saw Flynn as the next savior of this franchise. Personally I think the contract Seattle gave him is nuts, but maybe he will prove us all wrong. I'm content to wait till after the draft before judging the front office on moves they either didn't make for 'failed' to make.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Since when has anyone from this organization come forward and said that Matt Flynn was the future of this franchise? For all we know Philbin only considered him as competition for Moore and someone familiar from day one with his offense. Everyone here is assuming that Miami saw Flynn as the next savior of this franchise. Personally I think the contract Seattle gave him is nuts, but maybe he will prove us all wrong. I'm content to wait till after the draft before judging the front office on moves they either didn't make for 'failed' to make.

And you reserve the right to do so....but how many times have we as Dolphins' fans watched this? Put our trust into the organization?
I put my trust into Chad Henne. Other guys put their trust in Culpepper over Brees. Others still put their trust into AJ Feeley. It's getting ridiculous. It's to the point where we as fans feel we know better because frankly, over they years, we have.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:16 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Iowafin wrote:
FINesse wrote:

I think it goes back to what was said before....Philbin would know if Flynn was the real deal. I don't think he thought he was. If he did and Miami just low balled him to get a good deal, then they are as dumb as rocks and I'm not sure I can take another rebuilding season with this team.

I don't see anything to point otherwise from the fact that they're dumb as rocks and we're going through another rebuilding season with this team.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:16 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree with you Phin, it is very possible that Flynn was never viewed as 'the guy" Miami's brain trust wanted all along.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:22 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Rich wrote:
k-dash wrote:

Yes...let's keep giving these village idiots more slack. Their job was to bring in a serious contender for the QB position...David Garrard???????? Please. We'll probably hear something along the lines of Ireland asking Flynn if his Grandmother was ever a hooker.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
I agree with you Phin, it is very possible that Flynn was never viewed as 'the guy" Miami's brain trust wanted all along.

Sadly enough this is the only excuse we can use that allows to even have the smallest amount of hope going into next season....because right now the entire league is laughing at Miami and their fans. It is embarrassing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:24 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:

He'd be here if Philbin knew he was the future.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree as Philbin wouldn't have hesitated since he knew this guy so well, now he better hope Flynn doesn't go tear it up over in Seattle and even more important, whichever QB Miami goes with, best be successful for his coaching tenure in Miami.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Thank God.

Now let's go get a franchise QB in April.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:50 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rock Sexton wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

He'd be here if Philbin knew he was the future.

Logically we hope this is true, but you have to wonder if Philbin said "yes I want Flynn" and Ireland said "only if he comes at a reasonable price."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:51 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
Thank God.

Which one? I can see possibly drafting Tannehill if he falls tu, but not trading up. Everyone else looks pretty chancy...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:58 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

apatos19 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Thank God.

Which one? I can see possibly drafting Tannehill if he falls tu, but not trading up. Everyone else looks pretty chancy...

I wouldn't mind having Foles or Kellen Moore later, but I see those guys as projects that might take a few years...like Aaron Rodgers did. Ryan Tannehill, I think would have some troubles in year one, but I think he could move an offense from day one, too.

But, it looks more like Tannehill will go in the top 5 to Cleveland....since they haven't inquired about any quarterbacks this FA period.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

apatos19 wrote:
Logically we hope this is true, but you have to wonder if Philbin said "yes I want Flynn" and Ireland said "only if he comes at a reasonable price."

Flynn is not going to be the end-all-be-all when it comes to QB's and the future of this franchise. $8 million per year is too much money to invest in a guy with 2 career starts given that we don't have a ton of cap space and we still have major long term decisions to make with guys like Long, Wake, etc. etc.

Personally I think Flynn is the mental midget here. The transition in Miami would IMO be much easier on him because of Philbin. It's not like the contract he signed in Seattle was his one shot at a cash grab (only 3 years) so he could be playing in an offense he already knows with a shot to increase his market value.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:08 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Maybe Jeff Ireland asked him if his mother was a whore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:09 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gentlax13 wrote:
Maybe Jeff Ireland asked him if his mother was a whore.

If his mother worked for a pimp, that would be a logical question to ask.

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next