PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:36 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

We Lost on Jim Harbaugh
We Lost on Jeff Fisher
We Lost on Peyton Manning
We Lost on Eric Winston
We lost on Matt Flynn

This appears to be a disturbing trend. I'd be happy for evidence in the other direction but it appears that the Stephen Ross Dolphins can't sign the guys they want. Contrast that with the Patriots who have people openly lobbying to play for them.

Am I seeing this wrong or are we having serious trouble landing the guys we want.

Edit: added Matt Flynn to the list.

Last edited by Gentlax13 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:40 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Gentlax13 wrote:
We Lost on Jim Harbaugh
We Lost on Jeff Fisher
We Lost on Peyton Manning
We Lost on Eric Winston

This appears to be a disturbing trend. I'd be happy for evidence in the other direction but it appears that the Stephen Ross Dolphins can't sign the guys they want. Contrast that with the Patriots who have people openly lobbying to play for them.

Am I seeing this wrong or are we having serious trouble landing the guys we want.

At least they are trying. Salary cap limits how many big name free agents you can sign. Manning is going to sign for big $$$$$ If they land Flynn, they will have filled a large need.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Harbaugh wanted to stay on the west coast, Fisher wanted to have major control over personnel, something he has never done in his career. Eric Winston wanted to be the highest paid ORT in football and the Dolphins did not have the cap space when you consider they are trying to sign a QB still after missing on Peyton.

Obviously not getting Peyton Manning is disappointing, but it sounds like Miami was on the outside looking in to begin with.

While I certainly hope the Matt Flynn deal get's done, I don't think Miami wants to offer a Kevin Kolb type deal, and I can't blame them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:59 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Maybe we don;t want to overpay?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:06 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Each player/coach can only go to one team, and they all have multiple teams they will turn down in the end, so its not just Miami they dont want to play for...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:09 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Both sides of these scenarios are correct but at some point you just have to wonder. Every , & I mean every free agency period is filled with these posts: This guy wants to come to Miami , this guy is the perfect fit for Miami , Miami is the perfect fit for this guy , this guy has ties to Miami , this guy has a condo in Miami. You know the drill. In the end we get nothing. Now I am all for not overpaying but all things considered we are losing guys to teams that at one time would be considered much less of a quality franchise than Miami. Free agency is also a players choice as to where he wants to go & not all players just go to the highest bidder but they go to the team they consider "closer" or just more stable. That is where we need to be concerned. It seems it only takes a few years to tarnish a reputation , while it takes much longer to regain it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:11 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The one thing that I have been a little disappointed with is not redoing some of the contract to gain more cap space. Yeremiah Bell has a cap space number that needs to be restructured among others.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:23 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

NFL Network did a little story about how this is all the owners fault lol...

leave it to the media to make a bad thing worse...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:45 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

When the owner of your Franchise courts other coaches while he already has one, your GM ask players if their mothers were prostitutes, and the team is owned by several clowns including Mark Antony, you will have trouble.

Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman are the first steps of many in getting this franchise turned around both off and on the field.

That being said, as a true aqua and orange blooded fan since kindergarten, I am not even close to being satisfied with how my Franchise has been run in the past 10 years and sometimes its downright embarrassing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:56 pm 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Winning is contagious, if our beloved Dolphins were above 500 every year we would be able to land big names, but because after firing a head coach and his staff every two years or so we can never get on a roll. Consistensy is key Patriots can land big names at a cheaper rate because they know they can go to the SB that year, same with PIT or other winning teams with coaches who have been there at least 5 years, so please lets give Philbin 3 years before we call for his head.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:11 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

cafinfan1 wrote:
Winning is contagious, if our beloved Dolphins were above 500 every year we would be able to land big names, but because after firing a head coach and his staff every two years or so we can never get on a roll. Consistensy is key Patriots can land big names at a cheaper rate because they know they can go to the SB that year, same with PIT or other winning teams with coaches who have been there at least 5 years, so please lets give Philbin 3 years before we call for his head.

Really well said man. I cosign all of it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:59 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Harbaugh was never coming to Miami, or anywhere else other than the bay area. He's a California guy, but he listened to our offer out of respect. I don't fault Ross for making that move, Sparano was an inept head coach, he needed to be replaced. As far as Jeff Fisher is concerned, I wasn't sold on him at all. His history doesn't lead me to believe he should be the highest paid head coach in history, not by a long shot. Fisher and his style of play weren't what Ross or owner wants. Ross wants to bring back the good old days when Dan the Man aired it out all game long. To me, Philbin is the perfect guy to bring a passing attack to Miami. The system in Green Bay is one of the best in the NFL right now, why not poach from their coaching tree and try to build something comparable or maybe even better???
When it comes to Peyton, I'm confident that Philbin and probably Ireland too didn't want him from the get go. Peyton wasn't interested in us either. We weren't on his list. The only reason we got an interview is because Peyton is friends with Marino and he gave us a quick interview out of respect. Manning is perhaps the greatest quarterback of all time, but at the end of the day he just wasn't interested in us. We're a sub .500 football team that plays in a tough division with Tom Brady and Rex Ryan's defense. Manning is better off making more money somewhere else that has an easier division.
As for that offensive lineman, I'd rather draft Colombo's replacement. Winston was due a big pay day, he'd eat up all of our cap space. I'd rather see us use that space to sign rookies and sign Matt Flynn. Adding a solid RT isn't going to cure our biggest problems, but adding a solid quarterback will instantly improve us offensively.
The Dolphins are headed in the right direction with Philbin, Sherman, and Coyle. If we can install the new offense and defense and finish with a record over .500, then I'll consider it a victory. But we must finish strong and show signs of improvement throughout the season. What I'm looking for in the 2012 Dolphins is the building blocks of an elite offense combined with an aggressive defense that creates turnovers. If we can show those two things then I'll be happy, but of course I want us to still win.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:44 am 

Please , the Dolphins wanted Manning. Both from a business standpoint & a playing one as well.
When they traded Marshall the first thoughts were "Manning must have said he does not want the Marshall headache" we thought this was a prelude to manning coming here & for the last 10 days or so we were all pretty sure he would be here because we are the Miami Dolphins.
I have been reading here for years about the right direction this team is going in. I guess when you throw enough of something against the wall some of it is bound to stick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:24 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Add Manningham to the list. Still have not signed Flynn.

I guess our drafts better start improving big time, since free agency is not the Dolphins bag.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:46 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

soulman83 wrote:
When the owner of your Franchise courts other coaches while he already has one, your GM ask players if their mothers were prostitutes, and the team is owned by several clowns including Mark Antony, you will have trouble.

Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman are the first steps of many in getting this franchise turned around both off and on the field.

That being said, as a true aqua and orange blooded fan since kindergarten, I am not even close to being satisfied with how my Franchise has been run in the past 10 years and sometimes its downright embarrassing.

But his mother was a prostitute...And he hasn't lived up to his draft billing and been in trouble
Ireland was right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:53 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The leadership of this team is lower tier in the NFL. The bringing in of Alex Smith was not a ploy to gain leverage with Matt Flynn, it is because they couldn't close the deal with Matt Flynn! And the proof is that they are now bringing in that bag of tools known as David Gerrard in for a tryout. Please, I am now officially depressed, we suck and our office can't get jack right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:56 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Kev1321 wrote:
But his mother was a prostitute...And he hasn't lived up to his draft billing and been in trouble
Ireland was right.

This comment makes no sense.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:01 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

soulman83 wrote:
your GM ask players if their mothers were prostitutes,
When a man ask what does your mother do & you reply she works for a pimp.

Who works for pimps?

Its not like Ireland greeted Bryant & just out of the blue ask. Is your mom a prostitute?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:06 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

soulman83 wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:
Ireland was right.

This comment makes no sense.

You don't know?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
soulman83 wrote:
your GM ask players if their mothers were prostitutes,
When a man ask what does your mother do & you reply she works for a pimp.

Who works for pimps?

Its not like Ireland greeted Bryant & just out of the blue ask. Is your mom a prostitute?

Lol...yeah that got blown out of proportion....as does the majority of what the media pumps out. If you want to dog on Ireland for drafting someone like Chris McCoy, go ahead...but the prostitute thing was just an unfortunate misrepresentation of what goes on in a Q&A

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:38 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Harbaugh wanted to stay on the west coast, Fisher wanted to have major control over personnel, something he has never done in his career. Eric Winston wanted to be the highest paid ORT in football and the Dolphins did not have the cap space when you consider they are trying to sign a QB still after missing on Peyton.

Obviously not getting Peyton Manning is disappointing, but it sounds like Miami was on the outside looking in to begin with.

While I certainly hope the Matt Flynn deal get's done, I don't think Miami wants to offer a Kevin Kolb type deal, and I can't blame them.

Careful now, this is a logical post; we will have none of that around here. Clearly we have the worst owner and GM in the league and NOBODY wants to play for us.
:hithead:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Each player/coach can only go to one team, and they all have multiple teams they will turn down in the end, so its not just Miami they dont want to play for...

Yep, that should seem obvious but it escapes many around here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:42 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
Both sides of these scenarios are correct but at some point you just have to wonder. Every , & I mean every free agency period is filled with these posts: This guy wants to come to Miami , this guy is the perfect fit for Miami , Miami is the perfect fit for this guy , this guy has ties to Miami , this guy has a condo in Miami. You know the drill. In the end we get nothing. Now I am all for not overpaying but all things considered we are losing guys to teams that at one time would be considered much less of a quality franchise than Miami. Free agency is also a players choice as to where he wants to go & not all players just go to the highest bidder but they go to the team they consider "closer" or just more stable. That is where we need to be concerned. It seems it only takes a few years to tarnish a reputation , while it takes much longer to regain it.

Your posts are full of doom and gloom and it is clear you have no objectivity when it comes to Ross or Ireland. Fee agency USUALLY is about the highest bidder and all the speculation about who we should be a 'lock' to sign are tied to unrealistic expectations/speculation of the fans. We are no different when it comes to free agency than any other team in the NFL.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:43 pm 

Phin wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Your posts are full of doom and gloom and it is clear you have no objectivity when it comes to Ross or Ireland. Fee agency USUALLY is about the highest bidder and all the speculation about who we should be a 'lock' to sign are tied to unrealistic expectations/speculation of the fans. We are no different when it comes to free agency than any other team in the NFL.

Phin - I would say my posts are reality although I know to some it is a hard pill to swallow. You are right however & I will certainly admit to having no objectivity when it comes to Ross & Ireland. I dont know ... maybe seeing a proud franchise become irrelevant has done that to me. So does that make me a bad fan? What would you like me to do ... not post anymore or maybe be banned for my opinions. Remember with all my opinionated posts I have never gotten "into it" with anyone.
I call it like I see it , while respecting anyone who differs from my opinion which is why I was wondering about yours as to what I should do. Seems there is only room for homers. Its is the same old thing. We look at free agents & for that matter the hot coaching prospects as well because we go thru them as fast as we go thru season ticket holder cancellations. It starts out like this ... the guy is a possibility , the guy is almost a lock , the guy has us as his first choice & then what do you know - the guy signs elsewhere. all the while we had him penciled in our roster while booking our hotel rooms where the super bowl is gonna be played. Then its just another season where our victories come from when the last undefeated team loses because we have to protect those 72 guys for whatever reason or when the Pats & Jets run into some bad luck. Lloyd & Winston as it turns out was not about the highest bidder , why did Winston go elsehwere? Manning is certainly not about the money & this was such a great fit - what was his reasoning? I dont know the truth but I am real curious to find out. I would think if it does come out you would hear words like stability or lack of in this case. Im not gonna go thru all the things that this pair has done . we all know it & we all either rip it or excuse it. I want a winner like I am sure we all do but the game has changed as there are now 2 season , the regular one & the off season. I am tired of being embarrassed during both!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:06 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I really like FINesse. A lot of posts here (particularly recently) have lost their objectivity and reflect the desires of the poster combined with some extremely weak shred of evidence then sold as "signed, a lock, or going to happen." There is a place for optimism. Maybe even for delusional optimism. But there is also a place for objective realism and responsible scrutiny. That's FINesse. He's the guy who isn't trying to justify what he wants to be true but is trying to see what's true despite what he wants.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
It starts out like this ... the guy is a possibility , the guy is almost a lock , the guy has us as his first choice & then what do you know - the guy signs elsewhere. all the while we had him penciled in our roster while booking our hotel rooms where the super bowl is gonna be played. Then its just another season where our victories come from when the last undefeated team loses because we have to protect those 72 guys for whatever reason or when the Pats & Jets run into some bad luck. Lloyd & Winston as it turns out was not about the highest bidder , why did Winston go elsehwere? Manning is certainly not about the money & this was such a great fit - what was his reasoning? I dont know the truth but I am real curious to find out. I would think if it does come out you would hear words like stability or lack of in this case. Im not gonna go thru all the things that this pair has done . we all know it & we all either rip it or excuse it. I want a winner like I am sure we all do but the game has changed as there are now 2 season , the regular one & the off season. I am tired of being embarrassed during both!!!

How do you know what is really going on behind the scenes and who's really a lock or not? Because you're hooked on the 24/7 rumor mill tabloids?

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:32 pm 

Gentlax13 wrote:
I really like FINesse. A lot of posts here (particularly recently) have lost their objectivity and reflect the desires of the poster combined with some extremely weak shred of evidence then sold as "signed, a lock, or going to happen." There is a place for optimism. Maybe even for delusional optimism. But there is also a place for objective realism and responsible scrutiny. That's FINesse. He's the guy who isn't trying to justify what he wants to be true but is trying to see what's true despite what he wants.

Gentlax , just PM me your address & I will get that check out to you that I promised for your post.
Honestly it is much appreciated & I am glad someone gets me & it. Remember I am on the front lines here as I live in South Florida , I see & hear the local media , I go to the games , it is just so frustrating.
I am not naive enough to know that if you seem to win free agency you will win on Sundays. In fact I would say its mostly about the draft but I also realize you need direction & some kind of explosiveness at the skilled positions. I also know in the past we would have never lost out on guys to teams like KC & Seattle. Its not so much we are not signing some of these guys but we should be privileged at some point for explanations. What were their reasoning's for signing elsewhere. I would think it was more than money.
I am watching a marathon of this show called "Hardcore Pawn" if anyone is familiar with it maybe we should hire the daughter as our negotiator. She is tough as nails & probably a has a bigger set of you know what than the guys we currently have doing the talking.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:33 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
Phin - I would say my posts are reality although I know to some it is a hard pill to swallow.

They are reality to you, but that doesn't mean they are reality or objective.
FINesse wrote:
You are right however & I will certainly admit to having no objectivity when it comes to Ross & Ireland.

That is the most objective thing I've heard you say in a long time.
FINesse wrote:
I dont know ... maybe seeing a proud franchise become irrelevant has done that to me.

You think anyone is happy about where this team has gone since 1984?
FINesse wrote:
So does that make me a bad fan?

Not a bad fan, just one without hope. If you don't have hope, what do you have? One might as well commit fan suicide and go cheer for another team.
FINesse wrote:
What would you like me to do ... not post anymore or maybe be banned for my opinions.

I never said that and you know that's not what I want. I have respect for you even if you are on the extreme end of things. This place wouldn't be the same without you. I hope you know I truly mean that.
FINesse wrote:
Remember with all my opinionated posts I have never gotten "into it" with anyone.
I call it like I see it , while respecting anyone who differs from my opinion which is why I was wondering about yours as to what I should do.

I called your posts 'full of doom and gloom'. I 'call it like I see it' too. Careful to notice the details though, I judged the posts, not the poster.
FINesse wrote:
Seems there is only room for homers.
I've never won a homer award or been nominated for one. This isn't about homerism, it's about objectivity and holding out judgement until the final results are in.
FINesse wrote:
I want a winner like I am sure we all do but the game has changed as there are now 2 season , the regular one & the off season. I am tired of being embarrassed during both!!!

We all want to do well, but you would be the first to agree with me that when it comes to the off-season, it doesn't really matter how flashy a name you bring in if your not winning games (see: Brandon Marshall, Dansby, Burnett, ect). So what if we didn't sign Flynn or Manning? I've heard you criticize both qbs so why are you upset we didn't get them? Did Philbin really want either of them bad enough to push to get them? Did we ever have a shot at Manning to begin with? All the teams he interviewed with had better records last year than us. Maybe he didn't want to come to a team with a poor record, new coach, aging facilities, and crappy fanbase (and Phins fans are the worst I believe).
No hard feelings Scott, just telling it like I see it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:36 pm 

Rock Sexton wrote:
FINesse wrote:
It starts out like this ... the guy is a possibility , the guy is almost a lock , the guy has us as his first choice & then what do you know - the guy signs elsewhere. all the while we had him penciled in our roster while booking our hotel rooms where the super bowl is gonna be played. Then its just another season where our victories come from when the last undefeated team loses because we have to protect those 72 guys for whatever reason or when the Pats & Jets run into some bad luck. Lloyd & Winston as it turns out was not about the highest bidder , why did Winston go elsehwere? Manning is certainly not about the money & this was such a great fit - what was his reasoning? I dont know the truth but I am real curious to find out. I would think if it does come out you would hear words like stability or lack of in this case. Im not gonna go thru all the things that this pair has done . we all know it & we all either rip it or excuse it. I want a winner like I am sure we all do but the game has changed as there are now 2 season , the regular one & the off season. I am tired of being embarrassed during both!!!

How do you know what is really going on behind the scenes and who's really a lock or not? Because your hooked on the 24/7 rumor mill tabloids?

I dont know , like I said its my opinion. That is what I have to offer which is why I never get offended when anyone disagrees with it as I appreciate a good debate & do not look as it as a win or loss situation. All I am hooked on is this board for better or worse (just ask my wife & kids)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:41 pm 

Phin wrote:
FINesse wrote:
Phin - I would say my posts are reality although I know to some it is a hard pill to swallow.

They are reality to you, but that doesn't mean they are reality or objective.
FINesse wrote:
You are right however & I will certainly admit to having no objectivity when it comes to Ross & Ireland.

That is the most objective thing I've heard you say in a long time.
FINesse wrote:
I dont know ... maybe seeing a proud franchise become irrelevant has done that to me.

You think anyone is happy about where this team has gone since 1984?
FINesse wrote:
So does that make me a bad fan?

Not a bad fan, just one without hope. If you don't have hope, what do you have? One might as well commit fan suicide and go cheer for another team.
FINesse wrote:
What would you like me to do ... not post anymore or maybe be banned for my opinions.

I never said that and you know that's not what I want. I have respect for you even if you are on the extreme end of things. This place wouldn't be the same without you. I hope you know I truly mean that.
FINesse wrote:
Remember with all my opinionated posts I have never gotten "into it" with anyone.
I call it like I see it , while respecting anyone who differs from my opinion which is why I was wondering about yours as to what I should do.

I called your posts 'full of doom and gloom'. I 'call it like I see it' too. Careful to notice the details though, I judged the posts, not the poster.
FINesse wrote:
Seems there is only room for homers.
I've never won a homer award or been nominated for one. This isn't about homerism, it's about objectivity and holding out judgement until the final results are in.
FINesse wrote:
I want a winner like I am sure we all do but the game has changed as there are now 2 season , the regular one & the off season. I am tired of being embarrassed during both!!!

We all want to do well, but you would be the first to agree with me that when it comes to the off-season, it doesn't really matter how flashy a name you bring in if your not winning games (see: Brandon Marshall, Dansby, Burnett, ect). So what if we didn't sign Flynn or Manning? I've heard you criticize both qbs so why are you upset we didn't get them? Did Philbin really want either of them bad enough to push to get them? Did we ever have a shot at Manning to begin with? All the teams he interviewed with had better records last year than us. Maybe he didn't want to come to a team with a poor record, new coach, aging facilities, and crappy fanbase (and Phins fans are the worst I believe).
No hard feelings Scott, just telling it like I see it.

I respect you reply. I do have hope I mean you can never lose hope with anything but this forum allows us to vent & that is what I do. I know you dont have to always sign the flashy names but for all that got away I would just like to know why. Have we become the team players use for leverage & that is it? Hope we are OK , BTW - who is Scott?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:48 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

On the plus side...
With no QB again this Year and having traded away one of our only weapons (Yeah, I know that weapom msfired alot, but he was a weapon), and knowing we will try to draft an OL of DL to replace players that either shouldn't have been signed or never let go, I'm thinking positive!

The Barkley bus will be departing in Sepetember.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:02 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Haha, sorry Mitch, I have no idea how/why I typed Scott.......that's funny!

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]