View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 Houston Cougars - QB Case Keenum 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Houston Cougars - QB Case Keenum
A buddy of mine brought this guy to my attention. He has thrown over 5k yards in 3 of the last 4 seasons (injured for 1). Look at his throwing motion, you will find it eerily familiar.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:22 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Houston Cougars - QB Case Keenum
He's the same size as Henne, but he reminds me of Phillip Rivers a little with his delivery. I know highlight clips always show "good" plays they make, but I like that he can make all the throws. He even throws the ball even better on the run. He makes really good decisions under pressure, too.

It is early for any analysis on him, but he seems to improve each year and he is a 4 year starter. This site has him ranked as the 15th best prospect, so, there has to be a lot of questions marks about him at the moment. Still, it should be interesting to see how much he impresses the scouts at the Combine.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingR ... Keenum.php

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:15 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yeah, I live in Houston and he obviously has been a fan favorite down this way. The guy can throw that's for sure and it will be interesting to see how the NFL scouts view him and how the draft plays out for him. You know there will be one sleeper QB taken higher than people anticipated.

If I am Miami, I am playing coy about my QB pick anyway. It is bad enough when interest catches wind back to the player and agent and how all that does is drive the cost up for the team that wants the talent.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gah, that first video's music made me want to stick forks in my ears.....but yeah, incredibly quick delivery.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

i'd like to sign manning and draft Case

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The draft reports are pretty bad on him. They dog him simple because of his school (div 2) and the run & shoot offense. This is the school that produced such bust as Kevin Kolb and Andre Ware. However, I think that release is something to really work with and being able to sit him under Manning for a short while will produce one amazing QB. He's projected 7th round or UDFA for 3rd string backup.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:33 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Nope too small..!!!! FAIL!!!

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

They dog him simple because of his school (div 2) and the run & shoot offense.

Houston is a Division 1 School, however, you can certainly question the talent level they played finishing 18th in the Final College AP Polls.

Cougars ranked first in the country in both scoring offense and total offense, averaging 51 points and 599 yards per game in 2011. They did in fact run a spread offense spreading the field horizontally using 3, 4, and even 5-receiver sets.

History usually says a college QB coming in with that background struggles in the NFL.

Case is a talent, but I expect he will be a very late round pick.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't doubt that, question is, with his snap release is he worth bringing in for a late round project?

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He could probably be had in the later rounds and might be worth a chance. His accuracy and release might work well in the West Coast system.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He looks like the reincarnation of David Klingler.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:24 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

http://youtu.be/TSmCc1GYP9c

Very sad how much all of you disrespect a QB saved our season from a total disaster. Moore was the reason why Bush got 1000 yards, and why we did not go undefeated...!!!

Thank you Matt.... even though many people here treat u like crap..!!!

Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:27 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

LA Fins Fan wrote:

Very sad how much all of you disrespect a QB saved our season from a total disaster. Moore was the reason why Bush got 1000 yards, and why we did not go undefeated...!!!

Totally agree with this. Moore is not a Manning or Brady, but he definitely got the job done under the circumstances. The guy flat out deserves a shot to compete for the spot instead of being dogged out by everyone just because he's not the next coming Dan the man.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rmelendez wrote:
LA Fins Fan wrote:

Totally agree with this. Moore is not a Manning or Brady, but he definitely got the job done under the circumstances. The guy flat out deserves a shot to compete for the spot instead of being dogged out by everyone just because he's not the next coming Dan the man.

Eh, I disagree. Moore did nothing more than what Dilfer did for the 2000 Ravens to warrant a starting role. And Dilfer won a freakin' Super Bowl and was still cut.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Moore is a serviceable back up, nothing more. Even he knows that. If he competes, it will be with a rookie with more upside.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Any of you guys who want Matt Moore starting next year, needs a head check. the man has a 6-6 record with us, is that good enough for you? The man is not consistent, I hope it is obvious as to whatever QB we bring in these next few months, that he is blatantly that much better than Moore and gains the starting job right off the bat.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:01 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Go after Manning or Flynn, preferrably Manning. Then draft and sign a lot of help for the offensive line. Drafting a kid like Keenum in the later rounds is an alright idea, but we will need to go after someone the following year again. In my opinion, we should sign Manning, then draft a quarterback every year over the next three years until Manning retires. Then we'll have three prospects who have all been brought up in the same system competing with one another. Manning gives us the ability to win now, the draft picks give us the ability to still be good after he leaves.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:01 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Alex13 wrote:
He looks like the reincarnation of David Klingler.

Exactly, and we all know how David Klinger performed in the NFL. Same goes with Andre Ware. Won the Heisman at Houston and didn't do squat in the NFL. Fact is, Houston's run and shoot offense makes QB's look good on the college level but doesn't translate to NFL success.

If I do consider drafting this kid, I gamble a late round pick on him.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:49 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Any of you guys who want Matt Moore starting next year, needs a head check. the man has a 6-6 record with us, is that good enough for you? The man is not consistent, I hope it is obvious as to whatever QB we bring in these next few months, that he is blatantly that much better than Moore and gains the starting job right off the bat.

He deserves a chance to compete for the role. 6-6 is not good, but how many of those dropsies cost the phins the game while he was under center? What's his TD-Int ratio?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:16 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Just caught a glimpse of some college football player skills competition previously aired on ESPNU. ESPNU had a graphic comparing the physical stats of their Top 4 QBs in the draft. They also listed their projected draft position:

Luck -- #1
Griffin -- #3
Tannehill -- #20
Foles -- #22

I hadn't even thought of Foles. Is there a reason for this beyond the fact that I live on the East Coast and haven't seen him play? Is ESPN off their rocker here, or is the kid 1st Round good.

As for Keenum. He's a perfect fit for my drafting philosophy of taking a QB in the draft every year in the 6th or 7th round and trying to develop them into something useful, either playing for you or traded to someone else for a higher pick than you used to get him. If not, cut your losses on a late round pick. No big deal. Whether you need one or not, draft one every year. Of course, you need to have a legit starting QB to start this process, or you're constantly looking for QBs in the 1st-3rd rounds and wasting picks when you could be stocking up on your linemen and secondary depth.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:36 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

This is not going to turn into another back and forth about Matt Moore... go comment in a Matt Moore thread if you want to talk about him... this thread is about Case Keenum compared to other college prospects... PERIOD!

If he falls to the 7th round I think you have to take a chance on him... even if he doesn't make it through camp, sit him on the PS for a year or two.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:32 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Looks more like Jay Cutler with less arm strength to me.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:15 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

He's a less talented version of Kevin Kolb.

He'll be there pretty late in the draft, I'd imagine.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:36 pm

He sure does release that ball mighty quick... would love to see how good if football IQ is.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:23 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

IamPZ wrote:
This is not going to turn into another back and forth about Matt Moore... go comment in a Matt Moore thread if you want to talk about him... this thread is about Case Keenum compared to other college prospects... PERIOD!

If he falls to the 7th round I think you have to take a chance on him... even if he doesn't make it through camp, sit him on the PS for a year or two.

Lol, ummmm, seeing how this is an open thread, we can compare Keenum to pretty much who ever we want, Moore included. Furthermore, comparing him to Moore is much more relevant to our team as opposed to other prospects that may be drafted either by us or someone else.

This isn't to start a flame war or anything, its just to chat about possibilities of what we think should/shouldn't be with the phins. Heck, that's the reason why most of us even show up to this board. So relax try and relax. No one is trying to be rude here.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Keenum's upside I think is far superior to Moore who has pretty much peaked. Any who doubt that can go post in a Moore thread ;p

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:38 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Ski_Money wrote:
Keenum's upside I think is far superior to Moore who has pretty much peaked. Any who doubt that can go post in a Moore thread ;p

OMG dude ur a joke, Keenum plays for a joke of a College dude, Ur high !!!!!!! Keenum, who the hell is Keenum !!!! If Keenum is so badd ass, why didnt he go to a real college !!!!! :) :) :)

Keenum SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:01 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

LA Fins Fan wrote:

Saved the season? That is a head scratcher.

Yeeaaa. Miami won 6 meaningless games. You rock Moore. Thanks for taking Miami out of the Luck sweepstakes. You rock.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:46 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

LA Fins Fan wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

OMG dude ur a joke, Keenum plays for a joke of a College dude, Ur high !!!!!!! Keenum, who the hell is Keenum !!!! If Keenum is so badd ass, why didnt he go to a real college !!!!! :) :) :)

That wasn't a compliment to Keenum...

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:09 pm

LA Fins Fan wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

Houston was ranked 19th in the country, and beat up on a solid Penn St. team in their bowl game.

Yeah, not a real school....Great post.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:14 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phins Rock wrote:
LA Fins Fan wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

Houston was ranked 19th in the country, and beat up on a solid Penn St. team in their bowl game.

Yeah, not a real school....Great post.

Yeah, Penn state lost because the coaches were checking out the young kids in the first row..!!!

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Dude Matt Moore went to Oregon State in a spread offense... if you're gonna spread around "facts" at least present them all.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]