View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Case for moving up to get RGIII 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: The Case for moving up to get RGIII
Rich wrote:
We don't need to find a Pro Bowler in round 5 or 6. A solid starter would be enough.
Miami is loaded with solid starters. They need stars.

Hartline is solid, not a star.
Fasano is solid, not a star.
Burnett is solid, not a star.
Bell is solid, not a star.
Davis is solid, not a star.
Starks is solid, not a star.
Dansby is solid, not a star.
etc....

Rich wrote:
And who cares, if you have a franchise quarterback...
True, but we all know. They do not win SB alone.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:18 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

PADOLFAN wrote:
The Rams and thier new head dick, opps, I mean Coach, get to stick it to the Fins again when they trade down with Cleveland. Says so On PFT. Sure it was the QB Jeffie.

Well to be honest lets look at the whole picture.

Fisher & the Dolphins could not reach an agreement on the structure. Doesnt mean either side is bitter. And also makes for a more open line of communication being the two sides are familliar with each other.
Plus for the Dolphins..

Next is this, when trading picks and allowing another team to possible land the next great player who do you want to get that pick first?
Team in your Div?
Team in your Confrence?
Non Confrence team who only stand to face you once a year or maybe in the Super Bowl?

So if the trade bait is equal for all teams, I still see miami holding the upperhand as the only AFC team to be in the mix...

Purely speculation and probably more false hope... But Im a Dolphins fans, and false hope is all I have at times...

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:22 pm
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
Miami is loaded with solid starters. They need stars.

Hartline is solid, not a star.
Fasano is solid, not a star.
Burnett is solid, not a star.
Bell is solid, not a star.
Davis is solid, not a star.
Starks is solid, not a star.
Dansby is solid, not a star.
etc....

Cameron Wake is a star, Jake Long is a star, Brandon Marshall is a Pro Bowler (for what it's worth), Reggie Bush could be a star.

And if they had a star QB, they would probably all be better.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:24 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

Cameron Wake is a star, Jake Long is a star, Brandon Marshall is a Pro Bowler (for what it's worth), Reggie Bush could be a star.

You know what makes WR great?

A great QB

Sorry but I have to agree with Rich, you can take the 4 best WR this year in the NFL, and then put them on the Broncos and Tebow wont suddenly look better throwing the ball..

However you take any WR group in this league and put Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers behind center and suddenly they all get better....

It is the one position on a team that will make or break them.

A few rare years teams with average QB's make a run, but the consistently dominant teams in this league have a solid QB...

You cant put value on that position in regards to picks... 1 right move can make the whole offense better.

TRADE AWAY!!!!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

Would not call Wake a star. Better than solid though. Long is, but again my post was about finding a PB player in the bottom of the draft.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Would not call Wake a star. Better than solid though. Long is, but again my post was about finding a PB player in the bottom of the draft.

Seriously?

I'm not sure what your standards would be then. He was top 5 in sacks last season and this season led the league in QB pressures. He is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wake, Long, Bush, Marshall, Dansby, Davis, Starks, Fields and Carpenter are all stars at their positions. (Star=top 10)

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:
Wake, Long, Bush, Marshall, Dansby, Davis, Starks, Fields and Carpenter are all stars at their positions. (Star=top 10)

I agree, I'm not sure what was with calling Dansby 'solid' but not a 'star'. He may not have had a great year this year, but he has been pretty productive overall.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:25 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
The Miami Dolphins have been on a quarterback search since Dan Marino retired (or was basically forced to retire). That search continues today.

In the 2012 NFL Draft, there will be the oppotunity to draft a dynamic athlete who is also a polished passer in Robert Griffin III. Miami should do everything possible to get him. But that will require moving up in the draft, possibly as high as pick #2. We're talking multiple draft picks, probably 2 first rounders (one this year, one next year), a second and a third or 2 second rounders (one this year, one next year).

Normally, I believe in the value of keeping draft picks or trading down to get more, but I think Miami is in the right situation to go for broke to address the quarterback position longterm.

The Dolphins have a relatively young nucleus. The defensive line (Starks, Odrick, Soliai, Langford) and linebackers (Burnett, Wake, Dansby) are either at or near their peak years. The cornerbacks (Smith, Davis, Wilson) are young, up and coming players. There are very young players at offensive line (Long, Pouncey), wide receiver (Marshall, Bess, Hartline), tight end (Clay) and running back (Thomas). There is even a quarterback in place who is in his late 20s and can hold down the fort while a rookie develops.

What does that mean? It means that Miami can afford to mortgage the future to address the quarterback position for years to come. There are needs on the roster but not so many that draft picks need to be stockpiled to address them. Needs include right tackle, right guard, tight end, and safety. All positions that can be address via free agency or in the later rounds of the draft.

Quarterback? There aren't too many sexy longterm options in free agency and we all know how difficult it is for quarterbacks taken in the later rounds to develop into franchise players.

Having a quarterback that can make all the throws and also make plays with his legs, read defenses and develop into a guy that can make it happen in crunch time is crucial for a team to turn it around. In fact, having that player can make up for a lot of deficiencies in other parts of the roster. See Brady leading the Patriots to the AFC Championship game with one of the worst defenses in the NFL as a prime example.

If the Dolphins scout RGIII and determine he has what it takes to become a franchise quarterback, this is the time to do what needs to be done to get him.

Rich...

1) Is RG3 really a 'can't miss' prospect. Yes, he's certainly head and shoulders above any QB this year not named Luck, but is he a can't miss prospect...I just don't know...

2) If this team was ONLY a QB away from being significant again, I wouldn't have a problem mortgaging the future for him. However, we need upgrades at (no specific order): FS, SS, OG, OT, WR, TE, OLB as well as QB...all of those, other than perhaps QB, have to be starters, not guys that will 'work their way into starting positions'.

Too much to use all our resources on QB, even tho it's QB driven league and we've been searching for one since the day the music died (Marino Retired), and RG3 at the very least represents a serious step in the direction of finding that guy...

JMHO, but fill in the other areas...then see about Qb...

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Larryfinfan wrote:
Rich...

1) Is RG3 really a 'can't miss' prospect. Yes, he's certainly head and shoulders above any QB this year not named Luck, but is he a can't miss prospect...I just don't know...

There is no such thing.

You can draft Andrew Luck and if his offensive coordinator is Kippy Brown and his head coach is Dave Wannstedt, he isn't going to have much of a career.

Quote:
2) If this team was ONLY a QB away from being significant again, I wouldn't have a problem mortgaging the future for him. However, we need upgrades at (no specific order): FS, SS, OG, OT, WR, TE, OLB as well as QB...all of those, other than perhaps QB, have to be starters, not guys that will 'work their way into starting positions'.

The Patriots need upgrades at running back and all over the defense. The Packers need the same thing. The Saints could probably use some of that too.

Having a franchise QB can sure make up for a lot.

We can address all those positions you listed and not get a franchise QB and we will simply continue to be just another team.

Quote:

That's what we have been doing for over a decade.

How has it worked out?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
I'm not sure what your standards would be then. He was top 5 in sacks last season and this season led the league in QB pressures. He is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.
Wow, lead the league in Qb pressure? or we could just say he lead the league in almost making a play?

So its safe to say, Brandon Marshall lead the league in almost TD catches.

My standards for a star is someone that is at the top of the league in making a play, not almost making it.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:
Wow, lead the league in Qb pressure? or we could just say he lead the league in almost making a play?

My standards for a star is someone that is at the top of the league in making a play, not almost making it.

So leading the league in sacks last year accounts for nothing? Fact is even though his sacks were down this year, the guy brought pressure on a ton of plays. Putting pressure on the qb makes him throw early or make bad decisions. Wake is a star no doubt.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:57 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:

The comment was about Miami finding a star player in the bottom of the draft. Read people.

With all those star player then how did Miami ever go 0-7 & 6-10 for the yr?

Punter? No. Not going there.

Sorry, but Starks is not in the top ten of DLMan. Jared Allen is a star DLman. T. Suggs is a star DLman. Slight difference.

One year now makes a player a star?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Dphins4me wrote:

That's one of the stupidest comparisons I've seen in a while... comparing pressures, which are plays that can directly lead to incompletions or interceptions, defensive stops etc, which are POSITIVES for the team, to dropping TDs, which are NEGATIVE for the team.

Some people don't think before hitting submit, and once they do, they get so entrenched in their argument that they are incapable of taking a step back to think about how stupid what they are posting is....

Quote:

Good for you...

But there are plenty of sacks that are caused by others making a play...

The sack can be one of the most misleading stats in football.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
So leading the league in sacks last year accounts for nothing? Fact is even though his sacks were down this year, the guy brought pressure on a ton of plays. Putting pressure on the qb makes him throw early or make bad decisions. Wake is a star no doubt.

Not when you do not follow it up. Wake was solid this year, but not what he was in 2010.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:02 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
That's one of the stupidest comparisons I've seen in a while...
You have no sense of humor.

Rich wrote:
comparing pressures, which are plays that can directly lead to incompletions or interceptions, defensive stops etc, which are POSITIVES for the team, to dropping TDs, which are NEGATIVE for the team.
True, but still not a sack.

Rich wrote:
Some people don't think before hitting submit, and once they do, they get so entrenched in their argument that they are incapable of taking a step back to think about how stupid what they are posting is....
Same ole Rich. Straight to personal attacks. Missed you. :flowers:

Rich wrote:
But there are plenty of sacks that are caused by others making a play...

The sack can be one of the most misleading stats in football.

While I agree with this. However, its how they are judged.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:06 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Phin wrote:

Not when you do not follow it up. Wake was solid this year, but not what he was in 2010. He made the PB in 2010 & the PB is name recognition. However, he did not make it this year.

Long did & we all know Long was not at his best this year, but he still made it.

Long didn't deserve to make it this year, but he is still a star. It's possible to have a 'down' year and still be a star Scott. As for Wake, our whole defense struggled this year (defense as a whole in the NFL struggled this year). It's not like he played badly, he just didn't get as many sacks. He was also held a lot more than he was last year. I can't even begin to count the amount of times he was straight up mugged and didn't get the call. That's not really my argument, but it is worth noticing.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
I agree, I'm not sure what was with calling Dansby 'solid' but not a 'star'. He may not have had a great year this year, but he has been pretty productive overall.
Do you realize how often this is said about Miami players?

Dansby showed up fat & slow this year. Name a star player that does that?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
Long didn't deserve to make it this year, but he is still a star. It's possible to have a 'down' year and still be a star Scott. As for Wake, our whole defense struggled this year (defense as a whole in the NFL struggled this year). It's not like he played badly, he just didn't get as many sacks. He was also held a lot more than he was last year. I can't even begin to count the amount of times he was straight up mugged and didn't get the call. That's not really my argument, but it is worth noticing.
It is possible to have a down year & still be a star. However, IMO you need more than one year before having a down year. Jake Long is a great example.

Besides for the 10th time. My comment was about Miami finding a star player at the bottom of the draft. Why people want to use Long, Bush, Starks, Dansby or whomever is not right. They were not drafted at the bottom of the draft.

Wake was a UDFA & so was Bess. However, that was not what my comment was about. It was about the draft. Hitting on those late picks that become stars. The Jared Allen type pick.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Wake was a UDFA & so was Bess. However, that was not what my comment was about. It was about the draft. Hitting on those late picks that become stars. The Jared Allen type pick.

Ok but you listed some players and said that they weren't stars. People jumped on that. You said Dansby and Wake were not stars; people disagree.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:18 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Ok but you listed some players and said that they weren't stars. People jumped on that. You said Dansby and Wake were not stars; people disagree.
Yeap, because Rich said a solid starter would be enough. While a solid starter is better than nothing. I was talking someone on a perennial PB status.

Its argumentative on Wake I'll say & leave it at that. I saw some decline in his play this year.

Dansby fat & slow is not what stars are made of. He made one Int & then proclaimed himself to be the best LBer in football. I do not see Dansby making game changing plays.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:27 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Why it won't happen. No new coach is going to put that much capital into one player who might, or might not, be NFL caliber. A smarter approach would be to sign Philbin, throw Ross's wallet at Flynn and draft a stud on defense to complement Wake.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Why it won't happen. No new coach is going to put that much capital into one player who might, or might not, be NFL caliber. A smarter approach would be to sign Philbin, throw Ross's wallet at Flynn and draft a stud on defense to complement Wake.
Probably the most likely scenario.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

He's as fast as Vick and is a much more polished passer than either Vick or Newton were coming out.

I disagree. We'll see what his time is at the combine, but he's currently listed at 4.5 40 time, which is no where near Vick's 4.2 times.

I really don't know how much better Griffin is than Tyrod Taylor....I believe RG is MUCH more consistent throwing the ball as Taylor, but other than that?

RGIII was one of the top high school sprinters coming out of high school with a personal best 13.3 110 meter high hurdles, and a 46.9 400 meters. The kid has got wheels.

I think this kid is a notch above Tyrod, and Taylor was not a bad college QB at all while at Virginia Tech. Plus, this kid is very well spoken and very, very bright.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Same ole Rich. Straight to personal attacks. Missed you.

Been dealing with this kind of crap all year Rich, don't feel bad. Just move on, like I said in another post, some people just like to argue and some like to put thier 2 cents in just to "hear" themselves post.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:30 pm

True, but we all know. They do not win SB alone.

No they don't, but almost every team in the playoffs have a franchise 1st rd QB. 3/4 of the teams left have a 1st rd pick and finding a Brady late in the draft is an anomaly.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

He's as fast as Vick and is a much more polished passer than either Vick or Newton were coming out.

I disagree. We'll see what his time is at the combine, but he's currently listed at 4.5 40 time, which is no where near Vick's 4.2 times.

I really don't know how much better Griffin is than Tyrod Taylor....I believe RG is MUCH more consistent throwing the ball as Taylor, but other than that?

RGIII was one of the top high school sprinters coming out of high school with a personal best 13.3 110 meter high hurdles, and a 46.9 400 meters. The kid has got wheels.

I think this kid is a notch above Tyrod, and Taylor was not a bad college QB at all while at Virginia Tech. Plus, this kid is very well spoken and very, very bright.

I understand that Taylor was not bad, but he's not making any noise in the NFL right now and was taken in the 6th round. Why is Robert Griffin a top 8?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:35 pm

Makchell wrote:
Been dealing with this kind of crap all year Rich, don't feel bad. Just move on, like I said in another post, some people just like to argue and some like to put thier 2 cents in just to "hear" themselves post.

I don't feel bad at all. I'm amused at seeing the reaction by certain people when they get hit with their own condescending medicine. You would think as much as they dish it out, they would be overjoyed to get the same treatment back.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Larryfinfan wrote:
Rich...

There is no such thing.

You can draft Andrew Luck and if his offensive coordinator is Kippy Brown and his head coach is Dave Wannstedt, he isn't going to have much of a career.

Quote:

The Patriots need upgrades at running back and all over the defense. The Packers need the same thing. The Saints could probably use some of that too.

Having a franchise QB can sure make up for a lot.

We can address all those positions you listed and not get a franchise QB and we will simply continue to be just another team.

Quote:

That's what we have been doing for over a decade.

How has it worked out?

Exactly. The sad truth is, we may NOT even be able to pull the trigger on a deal that will bring us an elite QB this year, because we have so few bargaining chips to offer in the draft. Alas.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
I don't feel bad at all. I'm amused at seeing the reaction by certain people when they get hit with their own condescending medicine. You would think as much as they dish it out, they would be overjoyed to get the same treatment back.

Look at the little angle. Isn't she sweet. Makes one go Ooooooo.

Not sure what you are referring too. I did not take anything you said as condescending or any other way than just your typical.. We should listen to you, because you think it, then it must be.

Makchell wrote:

Rich Makchell

Last edited by Dphins4me on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

It's amazing how threads deteriorate into meaningless discord.... among fans of the same team.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

k-dash wrote:
It's amazing how threads deteriorate into meaningless discord.... among fans of the same team.

Especially when a Mod leads the way & endorses attacks, but I've not had a good personal attack from Rich in quite a while. Warms my heart to know he still cares.

He can't argue unless he personally attacks. We are just stupid for not bowing down to his superior intellect on football & opinion on players. Been like that for Yrs, don't see it changing. Always held out hope for him.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Dphins4me wrote:
Especially when a Mod leads the way & endorses attacks.

Good grief. :hithead:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

k-dash wrote:
Good grief.

All of it was simply because I said Miami needed to hit on some low Rd pick that turn into stars. Nothing controversial. Just they have not hit on one since Zach ( 1996 )

Of course someone could not let that be & had to bring it up that solid starters would be enough. I think Miami has enough solid, but not spectacular starters. Then it went from there. Of course I have 3 consecutive losing season & a 0-7 start to back me up. However, I'm the wrong one.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:59 pm
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

There is no way in hell this guy only runs a 4.5
I saw his track times at baylor and they are world class times. He can do a 4.2

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:02 am
Phinfever VIP!
Phinfever VIP!

NOPE , THIS RGIII DUDE IS WAY OVER RATED, WAY TOO SHORT, AND PLAYED OR A MEDIOCRE COLLEGE !!!!! ANOTHER BUST !!!!!! AND, THE KID IS WAY IMMATURE !!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:11 am

Dphins4me wrote:
k-dash wrote:

Especially when a Mod leads the way & endorses attacks, but I've not had a good personal attack from Rich in quite a while. Warms my heart to know he still cares.

He can't argue unless he personally attacks. We are just stupid for not bowing down to his superior intellect on football & opinion on players. Been like that for Yrs, don't see it changing. Always held out hope for him.

I can DISCUSS (you argue) just fine without personal attacks. Here's the problem and this is where I expose you.

It only takes two or three posts for you to resort to condescension.

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

You do this to everyone, whether they are making good points or not. YOU think your opinion is the end all be all. It's no coincidence that in the past week 3 people have PMed me to say that "you're boy is a real jerk" or something along those lines and they were talking about you. They think for some reason because I refer to you as Scot we're buddies or something.

So I give you the same medicine you give others and you gave me in the post above and now you are having a titty attack and can't stop talking about it. It's quite comical. And it says a lot about how thin your skin is.

You're the only one around here who is consistently talking down to others in every thread. So stop casting stones from your glass house.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:48 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

:youwin:
Please, God make it stop!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Really guys, really? How man freakin threads are we going to have to step in on before you get the message to cut the bull?

Being a mod on these forums is like being a full time baby sitter. Grow up and get over yourselves.

BACK TO THE TOPIC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually really like this RG3 kid... probably moreso than Andrew Luck... he's not as "NFL Ready" it seems, but the kid is quick and can really throw the ball. With the way our offensive line struggled this year, it'd be good to have a guy who can escape the pocket and still sling the ball down the field.

If it's me, I throw the farm at St. Louis to move up.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:01 am

Especially when a Mod leads the way & endorses attacks.

lol....Anyway, back on topic here, I see RG3 being a boom or bust. If he is there, fine, but I wouldn't give a lot to move up. The rpoblem is these guys (and Luck) get so hyped up and half of them become busts. Remember Carr and harrington? Both were "can't miss prospects". It's a crap shoot every year, every player. We will see though, it should be fun.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next