View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Will Allen will play vs. the Bucs, because he has to. 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Will Allen will play vs. the Bucs, because he has to.
Quote:
Allen is competing with Benny Sapp to be the third cornerback, but it hasn’t been much of a competition at all.

Allen, 33, has missed more than half of training camp, plus both preseason games, with a hamstring tweak. He also hasn’t played in almost two years after tearing his ACL in 2009 and undergoing a second surgery in August 2010.

If he has any shot of making the team, he must get on the field this weekend for the Bucs, hamstring tweak or no. Allen knows it, and Sparano knows it.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... ing-staff/

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:02 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Will Allen will play vs. the Bucs, because he has to.
I don't see him making the team. Sapp will be the nickel corner. Wilson will be the dime.

Maybe they can put him on the PUP list and give him a few more weeks, but other than that, I just don't see where he fits in.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:10 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

degs wrote:
I don't see him making the team. Sapp will be the nickel corner. Wilson will be the dime.

Maybe they can put him on the PUP list and give him a few more weeks, but other than that, I just don't see where he fits in.

Yeah, I gotta agree here. I forsee Allen's days to end here soon. Not because he can't do it any longer, but at some point he has to get on the field.

They pretty much know what he can do, but what they don't know is where he's at with his health. Unfortunately for him, Wilson has shined so far in camp and gives them a choice to make. I like what Wilson brings, but let's face it, we certainly won't be a better team with Sapp as our #3 CB...that's the only thing that bothers me about this move, but it appears as tho it'll happen...He's been a pretty solid player for us but the injury bug has bitten him once again...

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:43 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Larryfinfan wrote:
degs wrote:

Yeah, I gotta agree here. I forsee Allen's days to end here soon. Not because he can't do it any longer, but at some point he has to get on the field.

They pretty much know what he can do, but what they don't know is where he's at with his health. Unfortunately for him, Wilson has shined so far in camp and gives them a choice to make. I like what Wilson brings, but let's face it, we certainly won't be a better team with Sapp as our #3 CB...that's the only thing that bothers me about this move, but it appears as tho it'll happen...He's been a pretty solid player for us but the injury bug has bitten him once again...

I thought Sapp looked good vs. Carolina. I know it's just Carolina and pre-season, but for a nickel corner, that's a good sign. And the way Wilson is starting out, he will take over the nickel sooner rather than later.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:06 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Sapp has been the best DB in preseason this year. He looked good against Atlanta as well.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:12 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

With Sapp, Carroll, and Wilson all on the roster I just don't see a spot for Allen. I think we'll cut him after this week and call up an undrafted rookie or a veteran free agent to compete. At this point in his career Allen just comes with too many red flags. We're better off moving on and letting younger guys like Carroll and Wilson get a shot.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:53 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

NFLJunkie wrote:
Sapp has been the best DB in preseason this year. He looked good against Atlanta as well.

Outside of Vontae and Sean, I would agree.

He's got the nickel job locked up. He looks motivated in a contract year.

That said, I'm not comfortable at all with him being the guy covering Welker man to man.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm not sure I'm ok with Will doing that either.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
I'm not sure I'm ok with Will doing that either.

Welker definitely presents a mismatch, but with the addition of Burnett we've now got two linebackers that can cover and read quarterbacks well. I don't expect us to stop Welker completely but hopefully when he comes over the middle we make him pay. I'm hoping Dansby or Burnett will light him up a couple of times week one. Make him start to hear footsteps when he plays us.
Guys like Clemons and Bell will need to step up and start laying out receivers as well. I would like to see our entire defense start playing with a mean streak, setting the tempo and intimidating other teams. We've got the talent, we just need to exert ourselves. I think we could have the type of defense that scares teams.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Patriots present the nightmare scenario. Who do you cover? Ocho, Welker, Branch, either of their TEs?

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:39 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
Patriots present the nightmare scenario. Who do you cover? Ocho, Welker, Branch, either of their TEs?

We're slowly getting there too with Marshall, Bess, and Bush. Not to mention other guys like Hartline, Fasano, and Gates. I would argue that the duo of Marshall and Bess are just as good if not better than Ocho and Welker and that Bush is deadlier than any TE or RB they have. The only difference is they've got Brady throwing the football, but if Henne can turn it around that might not be the big advantage it has been in the past.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]