View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 ASK DAVE: Do playoffs support Dolphins' rebuilding? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post ASK DAVE: Do playoffs support Dolphins' rebuilding?
Quote:
> Posted by Dave Hyde on January 14, 2010 08:34 AM
Dave: I have the luxury of reading this article after wildcard week - but it appears (Parcells') formula does work. The Jets and the Ravens both won with running and awesome defenses. Two of your pass happy teams with home field advantage lost. So, I like where the fins are heading. You should mention that some of these high profile QB's ALSO have good defenses and good running games. They are not one dimensional - i.e. great passing teams that are fast. They have RB's (Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush, LT etc.) - they have good defenses and ALL AROUND are just better teams - that have exceptional QB. Those flashy positions are great – but these teams just have better all around talent. Give the dolphins a legitimate WR and they may be complete. -- Jeff.

A: Let's be clear: This isn't a discussion one weekend or even one post-season can sum up completely. And it's not really my opinion. It's what the stats bear out over the past four seasons. The way to win big in the NFL today is to pass the ball (and by extension defend the pass). Indianapolis in 2006 (1st in passing, 32nd ini rushing) and Arizona last year (2nd, 32nd) are the extreme cases in showing this. Five of the past six Super Bowl teams rank higher as passing than running teams. You CANNOT dismisss running teams. The Giants were a strong running team when they won the Super Bowl. But you also can't dismiss this passing-heavy dynamic in building a team. I know it's hard to get your arms around in a way because it goes against what we've been told about football forever (run the ball, stop the run ...).

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Quote:
Bigger and stronger. That's the Dolphins' mantra since Bill Parcells took over. It's served his career well. Build both lines into forces. Run the ball and stop the run. Control the clock. Don't turn the ball over. You know the mantras.

But here's the question as the playoffs start today: Has the idea of bigger and stronger gone the way of the telegraph and Pony Express?

And Dolphins fans can curse their timing again.

A generation ago, Dan Marino was the passing force in the game. These new rules protecting quarterbacks and helping receivers would have made him even greater.

As it is, as the roster gets rebuilt, bigger and stronger doesn't seem as important as Chad Henne's (or Tyler Thigpen's) development and finding a great receiver to throw to.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 487.column

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:49 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: ASK DAVE: Do playoffs support Dolphins' rebuilding?
Well... it seems Henne could develop into a good passing threat... if he does... we will be one of those very good all-around teams... just give it a few years.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]