View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 so against the remaining 4 teams... 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post so against the remaining 4 teams...
we are 2-3 with the Pitt game easily 3-2 and could have won the first jets game as well... we are not as far back as some posters would have us believe

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:24 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Re: so against the remaining 4 teams...
We won 7 games this year. It took 11 to make the playoffs. We're far away and getting further.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:57 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Gentlax13 wrote:
We won 7 games this year. It took 11 to make the playoffs. We're far away and getting further.

I think the point is the team isn't far. They lost a few of those games by a FG or less. A new OC, competition at QB and a few players inside the OL would put this team into the playoffs.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:29 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Yeah, the year we went 1-15 we lost several games by a field goal or less also. Sorry to be a downer. :jests:

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is a critical offseason for us, either we improve big time offensively or we risk falling too far behind in our division. The Patriots and Jets are solid football teams, they're playoff calibre teams, maybe even championship calibre. If we want to make our stake for the division crown then we will need to make all the right moves this offseason. Who we bring in as our offensive coordinator and what we do in the draft and free agency will be of the utmost importance. Now one can easily say that every offseason those things are extremely important, but I feel like this year it is more highlighted because of the recent turmoil between the owner and our staff. They will have a very short leash this season, either we are in contention for the playoffs or the staff risks losing their jobs. I just hope Sparano, Ireland, and Parcells make the right moves now that they are under the microscope so to speak.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:01 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

We beat and almost beat great teams... Yet we lost, and lost big to others great teams...

The sad part is if we could have beaten the crappy teams we probably would have had 10 or 11 wins....

Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:31 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I would rather peak in week 13 than week 3. Had we played Green Bay or Pitt in the last part of the season when Roethlisbeger had not just come back or if Green Bay was healthy we would have gotten killed. We beat the Jets late in the season no doubt but they certainly seem to have an uncanny way of stepping it up in the playoffs. Forget about the lucky talk already , you earn these wins.
I know there will always be homers but to say we are close or even implying it you are in a fantasy land. Our staff is in shambles , if we start off poorly next season they will all be fired & the mudslinging will begin as these guys do not like each other. For all the debate as to why Henne has more upside than Sanchez , enough already as Sanchez is playing in another AFC championship game after winning more road playoff games. All the while why Henne appears to be done here. We are reluctantly bringing back a lame duck coach (that extension means nothing) but hey we would rather him than Ryan because the only things we can come positive about him are that he lost weight without surgery & he loves field goals. Patriots , Ravens etc ... please we have a long ways to go.
I am not sure how we have free falled , they say a fish roys from the head first , who knows.
But please no more we are just a OC away talk. Fine we have a scapegoat in Henning but please , its the talent level & the heart of a player that counts the most.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:29 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Let's not forget that the Dolphins were 6-2 on the road. That is no easy feat for any NFL team. There is potential here.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FINesse wrote:
I would rather peak in week 13 than week 3. Had we played Green Bay or Pitt in the last part of the season when Roethlisbeger had not just come back or if Green Bay was healthy we would have gotten killed. We beat the Jets late in the season no doubt but they certainly seem to have an uncanny way of stepping it up in the playoffs. Forget about the lucky talk already , you earn these wins.
I know there will always be homers but to say we are close or even implying it you are in a fantasy land. Our staff is in shambles , if we start off poorly next season they will all be fired & the mudslinging will begin as these guys do not like each other. For all the debate as to why Henne has more upside than Sanchez , enough already as Sanchez is playing in another AFC championship game after winning more road playoff games. All the while why Henne appears to be done here. We are reluctantly bringing back a lame duck coach (that extension means nothing) but hey we would rather him than Ryan because the only things we can come positive about him are that he lost weight without surgery & he loves field goals. Patriots , Ravens etc ... please we have a long ways to go.
I am not sure how we have free falled , they say a fish roys from the head first , who knows.
But please no more we are just a OC away talk. Fine we have a scapegoat in Henning but please , its the talent level & the heart of a player that counts the most.

FINesse, I know you paint yourself as a realist and look at things with Miami as glass half full and are very sarcastic when people try to look at things from a positive standpoint. That you and it is what it is.

With that being said, why are you trying to belittle some of the wins Miami had. Injuries are part of the game and nobody gave a darn when Chicago beat Miami 16-0 when Miami was ripped up with injuries. So why bring it up with the Green Bay game, which by the way was played IN GREEN BAY. The Pittsburgh game, please. I do believe our Phins got bent over and done with no Vaseline. Yes, Miami had chance for that game not to get to a horrendously blown call, but it did and the call was screwed up to no end.

I agree that Stephen Ross has put next season in peril with his pure stupidity. You now have a regime in place in Sparano and Ireland and you have to wonder how much they trust one another now after the whole sorted search for a new coach while you have a coach in place.

I'm hoping that these gentlemen can put the episode behind them, because if they don't, they will not have jobs. Sparano did a nice job of bringing the right people to turn around the defense, and I darn sure hope he can do the same with the offense.

I try to be a realist also, and while I don't think this team is right there because of the uncertainty at QB, the Dolphins are certainly in a better place. This is a young team with talent, and hopefully with some smart, solid moves, they can make progress and get where we think this team should be.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:03 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Awesome post, Tony.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

How can you say were so close...

We Don't have a QB

We don't have a Running Back

And our O-line can't open a hole in a Life saver

Ya we played a few good teams solid... But the whole damm Off is about to get redone ... truth is we have no idea how close we are... what we know is we were 4 wins away from the playoffs this season......

we are about as far away as we have ever been IMO

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
Let's not forget that the Dolphins were 6-2 on the road. That is no easy feat for any NFL team. There is potential here.

ya but dave we lost all but1 home game.... that's pretty hard for a good team to do too..

sorry Not trying to be a downer

But the pats and jets are not going to just suck next season.. we have a LONG way to go to get into the playoffs..

even after the 1 win season I was not this down on my team... I had hope then.. the changes they were making gave some spark... the only spark I feel so far is our owner burning down our reputation as a class team... (glad that story is starting to fade a bit BTW)

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:21 pm

I get your point Tony & I am not trying to belittle anything or being sarcastic. I beleived in this team this season. I liked the moves in the off season , liked the progression I saw the season before this. To me it all went to hell & rather quickly. Its one thing to lose your final 3 games , we did that last season as well but the manner in which we did it this year was horrible & what followed once we were done was worse. End of the world ... of course not but to me I am seeing the old Detroit Lions , Raiders & Browns. I see this thing really going to hell , much worse than 1-15 where we were still a "team". I hope I am wrong but this franchise will have to earn my confidence once again.
I guess what gets to me the most is the feeling we are close. We went thru that in the past ... just a tweak is all we need , hadnt turned out so great. To me its more than just a OC. Yeah I get it about the remaining 4 teams , we hung with them but all things considered right now we are nowhere near them. These franchises are left for a reason. While injuries are part of the game , other teams have done what it takes to overcome theirs.
Like you & everyone else here I want to win , play meaningful games in these months. Hopefully we rise out of this sooner than later but this is not what I expected from a Dolphin franchise.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FINesse wrote:
I get your point Tony & I am not trying to belittle anything or being sarcastic. I beleived in this team this season. I liked the moves in the off season , liked the progression I saw the season before this. To me it all went to hell & rather quickly. Its one thing to lose your final 3 games , we did that last season as well but the manner in which we did it this year was horrible & what followed once we were done was worse. End of the world ... of course not but to me I am seeing the old Detroit Lions , Raiders & Browns. I see this thing really going to hell , much worse than 1-15 where we were still a "team". I hope I am wrong but this franchise will have to earn my confidence once again.
I guess what gets to me the most is the feeling we are close. We went thru that in the past ... just a tweak is all we need , hadnt turned out so great. To me its more than just a OC. Yeah I get it about the remaining 4 teams , we hung with them but all things considered right now we are nowhere near them. These franchises are left for a reason. While injuries are part of the game , other teams have done what it takes to overcome theirs.
Like you & everyone else here I want to win , play meaningful games in these months. Hopefully we rise out of this sooner than later but this is not what I expected from a Dolphin franchise.

I agree that the end of this year was really alarming. To lose there last 3 games at home to Cleveland, Buffalo and Detroit, teams with losing records that they should have beat is very, very disappointing. To go 1-7 at home was just unbelievable, and as I have said before, if Ross would have fired Sparano, I would have understood.

And most definitely, the tweak away for this team is not true. We have questions at QB, OL & RB and we now need an QB coach after the OC position was filled today. Daboll did a very nice job in the development of Colt McCoy with talent around him that is far less than what Chad Henne had to work with this year. His success will be a huge key for Miami in 2011.

I certainly share your frustrations. A good young foundation is in place, but more moves and a good solid draft is needed along with the placement of a competent offensive staff. I worry about Sparano and Ireland being able to work together, but they have to make it work if they want to keep there jobs.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]