View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
 the henne vs flacco 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post the henne vs flacco
Of flacco's 16 completions, 4 went to his wr's...the rest to rb's and TE..I guess he is checkdown Joe now ?? Henne put up better numbers against this same Steelers D....maybe some growth is gonna happen for both qb's ?

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:29 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: the henne vs flacco
dolphan74 wrote:
Of flacco's 16 completions, 4 went to his wr's...the rest to rb's and TE..I guess he is checkdown Joe now ?? Henne put up better numbers against this same Steelers D....maybe some growth is gonna happen for both qb's ?

One game man...

I think Flacco is a little over rated, but you have to look at the total body of work for both players.

Flacco played well against Pitt the first two times he played them this season.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:31 pm

Yep , there is hope for Henne because of the misfortunes of other QB's.
Look , Flacco did not have a great game but to make a case for Henne by comparing him to other QB's who are clearly better but only doing it with stats after a subpar performance just shows how far behind the curve Henne is. He needs a change of scenery , we are fooling ourselves if we think he is the guy for the long term anymore.
I wanted to beleive , after this season reality has set in.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:41 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

the point being that maybe people expected more of Henne then was reasonable to expect...

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:48 pm

dolphan74 wrote:
the point being that maybe people expected more of Henne then was reasonable to expect...

Henne was down right awful the 2nd half of the season.

Even if your expectations were mediocrity, he didn't live up to them...

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:52 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Oh i think he was mediocre this whole year, wasn't the raiders game in the second half of the season ? What I didn't expect was the putrid line play all year and zero running game...

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:54 pm

dolphan74 wrote:

Dont get me wrong , I understand & at least for me the season before this I did not expect a whole bunch. But this year after having that experience & knowing the job is yours I expected more & I think those expectations were within reason. But I did not see much at all from him this season plus the regression in the last quarter of the season tells me something. The benching also tells me he will always looking over his shoulder now will only impede his development here. If he is to have a career it will be in another uniform. I think the Henne era should be over & that I attribute more to the staff than him.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:58 pm

dolphan74 wrote:
Oh i think he was mediocre this whole year, wasn't the raiders game in the second half of the season ? What I didn't expect was the putrid line play all year and zero running game...

That was one game. His QB rating for December against Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland (3 out of 5 games), at home was 66.9.

After that Pitt game he threw for more INT's than TD's 5 times (9 games). Only in 2 did he throw for more TD's than INT's, and one of those was that joke of a Jets game...

His QB ratings for the final 10 games...

Awful might be being to generous.

He certainly did not have a dominant run game or great protection the final 4 games. But his protection was good before Vernon went down, and the run game produced more or as much for him as Matt Ryan's, Aaron Rodgers', Peyton Manning's, Drew Brees', and Joe Flacco's.

We can sit here and blame the personnel around him all we want. Bottom line: As a QB if you play sub-par (or in this case downright terrible) and your excuse is "I didn't have a great this or that around me", you're not the answer.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:05 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

dolphan74, I agree with you that Chad Henne certainly could have been put in a better situation to have success this year. The OL struggled and the run game was hurt because of that along with Henning willingness to abandon the run game so early if there was no success.

I also think Henne has ability and can be a solid QB with proper development and coaching and scheming.

That being said, to not acknowledge that Henne took a big step back is not being real. The thing that makes it worse is you try to attack QB's and say they look bad and are having the same struggles as Henne.

You can try to tear down all the QB's you want to in regards to defending Henne, but the fact of the matter is, Chad needs to look in the mirror and realize he better step his game up or he will not be in Miami.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Everyone sucked except for Davone Bess. The O-Line was putrid, Marshall dropped it as often as Snoop Dogg, Fasano came and went, the RB's can't do much with no O-Line, Henne made terrible throws, and Dan Henning was just closing his eyes and pointing to a play on the play sheet...and the play sheet was just a game of tick-tack-toe. Was Henne bad? Yes. Could anyone else come in as QB and play well under the circumstances? No. It's a team game.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Do folks really believe Tony Sparano will climb on Chad Henne's back and expect him to lead us next season? Sparano almost could have lost his job and Henne and other factors were a big reason.

Yes, team sport and lots of factors play into a team falling down, but it is MY OPINION that Chad Henne will not be the starting QB next season.

I just don't believe Tony will put his job on the line to try this again with Henne. Let him hold the clip board, he earned that right by his play.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:57 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FYI Ryan is really ripping it up !!! LOL...I hope people here realize it is a team game, and I agree Henne needs to dramatically improve...but that inconsistency that he showed is showing in some other qb's people see to love here..

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:38 am

dolphan74 wrote:
FYI Ryan is really ripping it up !!! LOL...I hope people here realize it is a team game, and I agree Henne needs to dramatically improve...but that inconsistency that he showed is showing in some other qb's people see to love here..

Even though he made 2 crucial errors, Ryan has still done things tonight Henne can't come close to touching at this point.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:40 am

Quote:
Even though he made 2 crucial errors, Ryan has still done things tonight Henne can't come close to touching at this point.

Exactly right ..... not only Ryan but Flacco & a bunch of other QB's as well.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:46 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If he was playing for us and had those 2 picks and 96 yards passing in the 3rd, people on this board would be calling for his head !!

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:49 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
dolphan74 wrote:

such as...

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:56 am

dolphan74 wrote:
If he was playing for us and had those 2 picks and 96 yards passing in the 3rd, people on this board would be calling for his head !!

After leading us to 13 wins and a #1 seed?

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:56 am

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
dolphan74 wrote:

such as...

Throws and reads he has made...audibles he has called at the line. Leadership he has shown.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:57 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Really, if Ryan led us to 13 wins, #1 seed and 1st round loss with 2 picks...yes people here would be calling for his head...you think I am wrong ?

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:55 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

HMMMMMMNNN....

Quote:
In two career playoff games, Matty Ice is 0-2 with six turnovers and a safety.

Not so clutch...

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphan74 wrote:

The Titans game was too.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:12 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead wrote:
Do folks really believe Tony Sparano will climb on Chad Henne's back and expect him to lead us next season? Sparano almost could have lost his job and Henne and other factors were a big reason.

Yes, team sport and lots of factors play into a team falling down, but it is MY OPINION that Chad Henne will not be the starting QB next season.

I just don't believe Tony will put his job on the line to try this again with Henne. Let him hold the clip board, he earned that right by his play.

He has n choice as of right now. Unless we make a predraft trade for a guy who will not be a FA, there will be NO personnel moves to be made until there is a new CBA in effect. We cannot sign any FAs. We cannot make any trades (after 3.2.2011). We cannot make any personnel moves whatsoever. We won't even be able to sign our own draft picks until a new CBA is in place.

Even if we were to get a new QB via trade before the 3.3.2011 deadline, we will not be having any offseason activities whatsoever. NBo rookie camps. No mini-camp. No training camp. No voluntary (or involuntary for that matter) team exercises. Nada.

What does that mean? How are we to get a new QB and have him actually compete with Henne if the team cannot practice?

And I'm nt even sure we could make trades before the CBA runs out.

It seems to me that we'd better prepare for Henne to be the starter, and maybe even without any competition.

And that's if we're to have any football at all.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

If there's no CBA then there will be no football at all...the only ammunition that the players have is to go on strike. If they play under their old contracts then management would clearly have the upperhand and the players have no leverage.

“We all stink. We're 0-6, everybody stinks. We’ve all, in some way, shape or form have not been good enough I don’t care if it’s the front-desk secretary — she ain’t doing a good enough job.”-Reggie Bush

Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:34 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

At this time Flacco is the better quarterback, he turns the ball over less and he helps his team win games. The Ravens have not done much in the playoffs with Flacco but they have been there and been competitive.
Henne is struggling because the entire offense is struggling. When a competent offensive coordinator shows up and an adequate offense is built around Henne, then we can maybe expect him to be competitve with the other guys in his class. I say maybe because I'm making an assumption that not all of Henne's poor play this year was his fault.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:48 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

[i]Yep , there is hope for Henne because of the misfortunes of other QB's.[/i

lol. I still can't believe we took Ronnie Brown over Aaron Rodgers. :hithead:

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:54 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

No one has really talked about that and to be fair Rodgers was a big question mark in 2005. But I mentioned it in another thread that if we are playing the what if game that has to be bigger than the Long over Ryan move.

Flacco and Ryan are better than Henne. They may always be Henne. I don't think we need to worry about Henne being them. We need Henne to be a solid QB who can win a big game. He has the tools and the work ethic, he just needs to rebuild his confidence and get his teammates behind him. Something happened between the end of last season and the start of this season. Last year we saw a guy come in, guide the team to some wins, look confident and make some nice throws. Not sure if the pressure got to him, the coaches had him playing scared or he just tried too hard to be Chad Pennington.

This isn't going to be an easy market to just replace him. Not one rookie appears to be able to just step right in and there will be a lot of competition in FA.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:13 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell wrote:

Everybody wanted Alex Smith over Brown.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

dolphinjim wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Everybody wanted Alex Smith over Brown.

Which is the perfect example of how we don't know our rears from our elbows when it comes to predicting who will succeed and who will not.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:57 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
Throws and reads he has made...audibles he has called at the line. Leadership he has shown.

Don't get so specific.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

neither quarterback is very good

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dolphan74 wrote:

like helping his team win ball games, instead of giving them away.
Come on!

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

EPIC fail

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henne is a big boy. He had his chances. I still see another starter at the helms next season.

Chad may get another chance down the road, but really I don't feel sorry for him. It isn't his physical attributes, it is his mental decisions on the field that scares me to question whether he will make a turn around.

Jim Everett years back for the Rams/Saints was very similar. Great young arm, but mentally, he struggled making good decisions and he would make critical game changing plays that hurt his team.

I saw the write up that Chad Henne is due only $550K next season, so that is cheap for a back up, so he isn't going anywhere and hey, if for some reason during training camp and next summers preseason that he does a dramatic turnaround to win the coaches eyes, then great. However, he is fighting an uphill battle against his coaches and the fans right now.

Flacco on the other hand as led his team to the playoffs and won in the playoffs and is still very young, so he is much further along than Henne at this point. Flacco also has a calm about him that airs more confidence, which is a huge lacking in Henne's game.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Flacco had his team in the playoffs......Henne eliminated his teams hopes.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]