View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Are Miami Dolphins headed for the West Coast? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Are Miami Dolphins headed for the West Coast?
Quote:

This move initially didn’t make much sense to me – for either party – because Childress doesn’t have to work for the next two years because of the $3 million per year payment he’s due from Minnesota, and it certainly wouldn’t benefit him to join a combustible franchise like the Dolphins.
For the Dolphins, I initially concluded this regime wasn’t on solid enough footing to implement a West Coast offense because it takes time, and patience to install those timing routes, and get the scheme properly going.
Considering Tony Sparano’s tenure is presently on borrowed time, wouldn’t going West Coast be suicide? Everyone in the world knows he can’t survive another losing season.
However, when you do the math plenty of factors add up, making me conclude switching to a West Coast based offense is indeed a viable option.

2. Ross is on record saying he wants a more creative, explosive offense. The West Coast, when run properly, produced plenty of big plays off play action.
3. Most of the possible quarterback upgrade options – Washington’s Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia’s Kevin Kolb, Seattle’s Matt Hasselbeck and Green Bay’s Matt Flynn – have a West Coast background, and putting them in any other kind of offense would diminish their chance of immediately having success as Chad Henne’s possible replacement.
4. Henne is somewhat familiar with West Coast concepts because Michigan utilized the five-and seven step drop elements of the West Coast passing schemes during his tenure. The routes would decrease his need to read the field, which isn’t his strong suit. However, the problem is Henne would have to become more accurate on deep passes, which is a key ingredient of the West Coast offense.
5. Brandon Marshall, the Dolphins alpha receiver, has a West Coast background from his days in Denver. Davone Bess’ background in Hawaii features plenty of West Coast influence, and Brian Hartline’s intelligence would allow him to quickly pick it up.
6. Starting tailback Ronnie Brown, if retained, has above average hands, which have been under utilized by this regime. That means he’d be effective catching passes out of the backfield if brought back.
The downside of going West Coast is the fact the Dolphins don’t have nearly enough speed on the roster to pull it off. However, that type of sub 4.4 speed could be added through the draft and free agency.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:41 pm
Phinfever FFL Commish
Phinfever FFL Commish

Post Re: Are Miami Dolphins headed for the West Coast?
I wouldn't mind seeing us going to a West Coast type of offense.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I would think McNabb would make more sense than Kolb if Miami goes the Childress route. Childress was already with Minnesota when Philadelphia drafted Kolb so there is no history between them.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I've been calling for the West Coast for quite some time...but please God, not Childress.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

marshall and bess would flourish in the west cost style offense

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

They have my vote on anything that improves our offense from the last 3 seasons of lackluster plays... (aside from wildcat dominance in 08)

I remember last year this time all the focus was on the fact that Miami had no true # 1 WR.. Now we have one of the best in the league and even he regressed in our current system...

Cant blame the players now...

Not real familiar with Childers, but he seems to have a pretty good track record with offenses..

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rhoads30 wrote:
marshall and bess would flourish in the west cost style offense

:yay:

Yep, but we still need a TE and WR that can stretch the field. I'm not saying a TE needs to be fast, I'm just saying that Fasano is a great number 2...pair him with an athlete and the 2 TE sets will be lethal.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I highly doubt we'll see any major philosophical/scheme changes in the offense this season. We really need to get used to the idea that we will very likely NOT be getting a veteran QB to compete with Henne, and that any Rookie, even if he were absolutely, positively NFL-ready the day we draft him (which there are never any of those guys anyways, much less this draft), will not be challenging Henne this year.

Phin Phanatic wrote:
Some say that the season will get a late start. It will have an abbreviated season. Some believe that the NFL and the NFLPA won’t get an agreement until August at the earliest and some say early September. There will be no off-season conditioning programs, no mini-camps or training camps, nothing. Players can’t won’t go to the training facilities to voluntarily workout and new schemes and systems won’t be able be implemented.

In other words, come next season, the only teams that will make an impact will be those that are under secure coaching regimes with players that are under contract and ingrained in that teams systems. The Packers, Saints, Patriots, Jets, Colts, are a few that come to mind. Teams like the Dolphins, too much change in the wrong year spells doom.

There will be no free agency and there will be no player movement at all. Everything freezes and aside from 7 rounds of draft picks, nothing will change.

Consider that the start of free agency is set to begin on March 3rd. On that date, players that are set to become free agents suddenly find themselves with nowhere to go. Teams can’t sign a free agent with no CBA. Guys like Ronnie Brown and Paul Soliai can’t even negotiate with other teams. There is speculation that all of those players will be held at the same pay level with the same benefits and remain under the 2010/2011 contracts that they had. Meaning they will remain the property of their respective teams for one more year.

Also consider draft day trades in April. Names like Kyle Orton and Vince Young are being talked about endlessly right now, but without a CBA, those teams can’t trade those players. Not for draft picks, not for other players, not for monetary value. Nothing. They can’t go anywhere. So the teams may simply release them and while that may happen, the reality is that once they are released, they are free agents, and teams will not be allowed to sign free agents.

http://phinphanatic.com/2011/01/14/life ... -football/

In other words, we need to be prepared for the most likely outcome that Chad Henne is our starting QB next season, and that the offensive scheme will not be appreciably different regardless of whowe bring in as OC (I maintain that the scheme was never the problem but the implementation of the scheme).

All of this will change when/if a new CBA is a done deal, but the word on the street is that they are no closer to an agreement than they were when they started over a year ago. I wouldn't anticipate either side giving in on their demands until BOTH sides stand to lose a lot of money, and that isn't a season lockout is imminent.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
I've been calling for the West Coast for quite some time...but please God, not Childress.

I agree, Childress is a big no in my book. If he had his way in Minnesota then Tavares Jackson would have been their starting quarterback. He's too big of a question mark to me. Not too sure we'd be able to run the West Coast right away, we might struggle through another 7-9 or possibly worse season while we're working out the kinks. If that happens you can kiss Sparano and the rest of the staff bye bye.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:13 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Phin Phanatic wrote:
There will be no off-season conditioning programs, no mini-camps or training camps, nothing. Players can’t won’t go to the training facilities to voluntarily workout and new schemes and systems won’t be able be implemented.

In other words, come next season, the only teams that will make an impact will be those that are under secure coaching regimes with players that are under contract and ingrained in that teams systems. The Packers, Saints, Patriots, Jets
There will be no free agency and there will be no player movement at all. Everything freezes and aside from 7 rounds of draft picks, nothing will change.
[/b] So the teams may simply release them and while that may happen, the reality is that once they are released, they are free agents, and teams will not be allowed to sign free agents.

The Jets have more UFA's than we do... There entire WR crew is on the open market. Edwards, Holmes, Stuckey along with Mangold, Ellis, Harris, Cromartie....

Miami has Ronnie & Ricky, and Lou Polite from the offense and Solia from the D... The only other starter is Fields, and he is a kicker...

So how would the CBA hurt us and not the Jets is beyond me...

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:

Because this issue with the CBA means bad teams can't sign free agents and make changes to improve and good teams with free agents won't be losing their free agents this year. The article above is stating that everything is going to freeze (No Free Agency in 2011). The only additions a team can make will be through the draft and the teams will not have offseason training and practice time to implement new systems.

"Teams can’t sign a free agent with no CBA. Guys like Ronnie Brown and Paul Soliai can’t even negotiate with other teams. There is speculation that all of those players will be held at the same pay level with the same benefits and remain under the 2010/2011 contracts that they had. Meaning they will remain the property of their respective teams for one more year."

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:52 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Pretty much every system being used incorporates components of the West Coast Offense. As a matter of fact, some of the coaches we've interviewed or been rumored to be interested in use systems based on Air Coryell, which is a type of West Coast Offense.

At the end of the day, most NFL playbooks have similar core plays. It is ultimately the progression those plays are called in and the way players execute those plays that matters.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

bobby0112 wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Because this issue with the CBA means bad teams can't sign free agents and make changes to improve and good teams with free agents won't be losing their free agents this year. The article above is stating that everything is going to freeze (No Free Agency in 2011). The only additions a team can make will be through the draft and the teams will not have offseason training and practice time to implement new systems.

"Teams can’t sign a free agent with no CBA. Guys like Ronnie Brown and Paul Soliai can’t even negotiate with other teams. There is speculation that all of those players will be held at the same pay level with the same benefits and remain under the 2010/2011 contracts that they had. Meaning they will remain the property of their respective teams for one more year."

And that is "if" there is no agreement made...

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:31 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I foresee football as we know ending if the Jets win, all signs point to Rex selling his soul to the devil and triggering an apocalypse in exchange for a superbowl.

Fortunately Welker is Ryan's achilles heel and the Jets will never take that next step the Patriot's are a shoe in.

“We all stink. We're 0-6, everybody stinks. We’ve all, in some way, shape or form have not been good enough I don’t care if it’s the front-desk secretary — she ain’t doing a good enough job.”-Reggie Bush

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:30 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:

An agreement will be made its just a matter of when it is made. The players will continue to be paid through September of this year. That is when they will get more motivated to come to an agreement. If something isn't agreed to until August or September there will be no time left to make major changes to teams.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:13 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

bobby0112 wrote:
10acjed wrote:

An agreement will be made its just a matter of when it is made. The players will continue to be paid through September of this year. That is when they will get more motivated to come to an agreement. If something isn't agreed to until August or September there will be no time left to make major changes to teams.

And all the players hoping to get to the FA and make some money will be screwing themselves....

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]