View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Dolphins to interview Childress for OC 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Dolphins to interview Childress for OC
Quote:
Might Brad Childress be taking his talents to South Beach?

The former Minnesota Vikings coach told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis that he will interview on Saturday with the Miami Dolphins about their vacant offensive coordinator's job.

"I don't have any preconceived notions," Childress told the newspaper of the interview with the Dolphins. "If there's a good opportunity there with good people, and that's the key, I'll coach again this year. If not then I'll pass and do something next year."

The rest is here http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6017674

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Dolphins to interview Childress for OC
Oh God add another fruitcake to the shop.. lol

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:22 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i heard this on the local morning show up here.................sigh..............

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:37 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

He acts like it's his choice...

Maybe they have offered the job to him already? I hope not...

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:

Maybe they have offered the job to him already? I hope not...

That's because his ego is the size of the state of Florida.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:28 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:

It kind of is. He could come down and interview and decide that he doesn't like what he sees with the talent here. They could offer him the job and he could decide that he doesn't want to coach here.

He doesn't HAVE to coach. The Vikings still have to pay him over the next 2 years if he doesn't coach. That's some expensive unemployment benefits.

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

he's probably a better choice than some of these other guys they've interviewed. So far this search has been awful.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:19 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Childress could be the right OC if we had the time. He likes power football, and he utilizes the west coast system. These two things could really be efficient in our division. One a west coast style could amp up our offensive output, without directing a quick strike style. A Chargers home run hitting offense wouldnt work against our competition. A quick striking offense puts Brady back on the field without utilizing time. A west coast style eats the clock with sustained drives of short quick passes. Think of how much time the old ers used to eat off the clock, or in this case the old westbrook/mcnabb eagles. They held the ball and scored and still had the TOP in their favor. THIS STYLE would be very beneficial, and our personnel would be great for it, given their time to learn it.
Henne could be a very good West coast QB, especially if he gets more comfortable in the shotgun. Bess would be an ideal weapon as well as hartline. Marshall excells in whatever he does, so it would just draw coverage off of him. Plus with a WC style, 4 WR sets are just as important as TE packages so seeing Wallace on the field could spear head a twin towers situation at the flanker position. Furthermore, Fasano may get more catch opportunities which will overshadow his recent lack of production being assigned to run block every play. We would need new RBs, or if not, Ronnie would have to vacate. His style is like the polar opposite of a WC especially if he is to get shotgun hand offs. Ricky could probably adjust and be a good scat-motion type back in a WC format, but at the moment Cobbs might be a better option. If we are to bring in a WC style, Henne will have to go to the books hardcore, and we would have to draft speed.... IMMEDIATELY. The dividends might not pay off in year 1, but in year 2 it could be really exciting. It all depends, if Sparano can survive one year in transition, this could work....... if not, x the Childress Idea.

Either way, I think McDaniels is the best option out there

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Don't know why people are so against the Childress idea... the guy helped direct the Eagles to a Super Bowl and four straight NFC Championship games. Then he came to Minnesota, improved from 6-10, to 8-8 to 10-6 then to 12-4 and another NFC Championship game. 12 months ago at this time, he was considered one of the better head coaches in the game. All of the sudden, Brett Favre starts throwing interceptions and the guy is run out of football.

Just remember, Bill Belichick was run out of Cleveland before restoring his reputation as a coordinator. While Childress isn't my first choice, I think he'd be a rock solid hire, especially if we were able to draft a guy in the first round and land a bridge like Hasselbeck or McNabb.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Read that Childress wasn't given play calling duties while Philly's OC and after he left they were given to new OC Marty Morhinweg. That leaves a question mark. At the same time it stated he was instrumental with helping McNabb.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:58 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Childress was a great OC for Philly. Bring him and Mcnabb in and we MIGHT catch lightning in a bottle next year.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:21 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
he's probably a better choice than some of these other guys they've interviewed. So far this search has been awful.

Calm down there, Skip. The season isn't even over yet. Mike Nolan wasn't even available at this point in the season....give it a week or more.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:43 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

MNDolfan wrote:
Don't know why people are so against the Childress idea... the guy helped direct the Eagles to a Super Bowl and four straight NFC Championship games. Then he came to Minnesota, improved from 6-10, to 8-8 to 10-6 then to 12-4 and another NFC Championship game. 12 months ago at this time, he was considered one of the better head coaches in the game. All of the sudden, Brett Favre starts throwing interceptions and the guy is run out of football.

:awe: :awe:

Quote:
Read that Childress wasn't given play calling duties while Philly's OC

Why have an OC that doesnt call plays?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:35 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MNDolfan wrote:
12 months ago at this time, he was considered one of the better head coaches in the game. All of the sudden, Brett Favre starts throwing interceptions and the guy is run out of football.

Maybe all of the sudden for the majority, but I for one said it was a bad hire from the start....even when they won he was making bone headed decisions. The guy is an idiot, is egotistical and just doesn't get it.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Chilly is a bonehead. He may know a thing or two about football, but I don't think he commands much respect from the players.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowafin wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Calm down there, Skip. The season isn't even over yet. Mike Nolan wasn't even available at this point in the season....give it a week or more.

well Skip?? Sparano said this decision is gonna be made quick. So wake up and smell the roses. It;s down to these 5 coaches.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:13 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

MNDolfan wrote:

Just remember, Bill Belichick was run out of Cleveland before restoring his reputation as a coordinator. While Childress isn't my first choice, I think he'd be a rock solid hire, especially if we were able to draft a guy in the first round and land a bridge like Hasselbeck or McNabb.

Brad Childress wasn't fired because his QB threw too many passes to the other team, and plenty of head coaches have survived losing seasons.

It's a cliche, but winning fixes everything. When the Vikings stopped winning, Childress' faults were exposed for everyone to see. Personally, I couldn't stand the way he called out his players publicly.

It also could be that he is more suited for the coordinator's position.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:36 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm not sure how I feel about him as our OC. I know that I couldn't stand him as a head coach. Teams hire these offensive "geniuses" as their head coach, but they just cannot seem to figure out how to draft a franchise quarterback.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:10 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
Sparano said this decision is gonna be made quick.

Not exactly what he said...

Quote:
"We're going to try to move on that really fast, but make sure that I'm detailed on that [search]," said Sparano

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Why have an OC that doesnt call plays?

Andy Reid called the plays. The insinuation was that Childress was good at design and player development but lacked the ability to call a good game.

To answer your question, if you have an OC with the above mentioned abilities and a competent HC to call plays then you don't need the OC to handle those responsibilities.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:06 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Hi guys - from cold and snowy NE Ohio.............

I saw the the Dolphins were interviewing Brian Daboll, former Browns OC, for your OC job.

I'll give you the skinny on his performance in Cleveland.

High Points for 2010 -

Had to be the game against New Orleans Saints in the Superdome, and then the following week at home versus the Patriots. In New Orleans, I believe there was a deliberate decision made on Monday prior to that game that the Browns simply didn't have the talents to go head to head with the SB champs. So they went deep into the playbook - and the players executed it perfectly. Same next week - no page out of the playbook was left unused. Direct snap to Chansi Stuckey - way too cool.

However, we all know an NFL season is 16 weeks long, not just two. So here are the....

Low Points for 2010 -

The final four games of the season (0-4).

How the F, after climbing back to 5-7 and facing the 2-10 Bills and the 2-11 Bungals, do you come up with an offensive game plan so inept you lose to both those squads? Several times in all four of those games, the Browns had 3rd and 8's - and yet they'd run a 2 yard drag route or bubble screen. What the hell? Both of the Buffalo and Cincy games, early in the game, the Browns had a first and goal at the 1 - and three tries later are at the 1 - forcing Mangini to puss out and call for a FG. We converted both, only to allow the ensuing kickoff to be returned for big, big yards. Why would Daboll plead for his guys to Mangini to go for it on 4th? If you don't make it, you leave the offense with 99 yards to go, not 40.

Now, to be fair, Daboll's personnel was devastated by injuries. We lost our feature TB before the season even started. By week 6 we were playing our 3rd string rookie QB (the shining moment of the season). Our receivers blew chunks.

So the ultimate question becomes was the Browns offense in 2010 as bad as it was because of Daboll, or because of a general lack of talent? That's what the Dolphins must answer.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]