View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Henne and playaction failure 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Henne and playaction failure
The Rest of the Article

Dave Hyde wrote:

Henne in play-action: 68 of 113 for 832 yards, 2 TDs, 10 INTs, 1 Fumble Lost

Henne without play-action: 237 of 387 for 2482 yards, 13 TDs, 8 INTs, 1 Fumble Lost

Dolphins used too much play-action, regardless of Henne’s strengths or weaknesses. I didn’t tally up Tyler Thigpen’s action but he only took about 1.5 games worth of snaps anyway. About 1 out of 4 pass plays were play-action.

The Dolphins don’t sell play-action, at all. Of all teams I’ve watched in 2010, college and pro, they are either the worst or second-worst at selling play-action. Contrary to popular belief this is not all about the QB. Watch the OL play on all play-actions, just the OL, blind out the QB and RB and tell me whether it’s a run or pass. You’ll be right 95% of the time. It isn’t laziness, they’re not coached to sell it. Watch the RBs, they’re not coached to sell it either. Ricky Williams is worse than Ronnie Brown about it. Most of the time, Ricky doesn’t even bother to show up to the exchange point (sort of like he didn’t bother to show up for the 2004 season…or the 2010 season, for that matter). He just hurries into whatever his assignment is, blocking or running. Ronnie is mostly the same. When either of the backs does meet Henne at the exchange point, they both have their hands at their waist the whole time, not bothering to fake like they just received the ball or breaking down like they’re trying to pick a hole. This is a sign that they’re not coached properly and they don’t buy in. From a play design standpoint, play-action for the Dolphins’ coaches is a mere tack-on. When you watch the Jets’ use of play-action, you see two distinct plays taking shape. You see the run that they’re faking, and exactly what kind of run it is, and then Sanchez tucks the ball, the wide receivers release after faking a stalk block, and the actual pass play takes shape. In Miami, not even close. Not. Even. Close. Everyone just hurries into their pass play assignments. Quite frankly, the QB fake on the play-action is the most competent aspect of it. Henne is very inconsistent in his play fakes. That’s better than consistently bad or non-existent, which is the case with the other points of execution in play-action. And people should not act like it’s Henne’s fault if he’s inconsistent on the fake. Chad Pennington is Mr. Mechanics, but I dove into the 2009 footage pre-injury to get a point of reference, and he was very inconsistent and often lazy with his play-action mechanics as well. When you’re not coached on something, even the most fundamentally sound players can fall into taking shortcuts.

The Dolphins staff knew, KNEW, that Chad Henne does not like taking his eyes off the defense. How many times did we hear that they don’t call shotgun plays because Henne doesn’t like taking his eyes off the defense at the snap? Does it take a genius to make the connection that he would therefore dislike play-action even more, considering a play-action pass usually calls for you to not just take your eyes off the defense for a split second but to actually turn your back to it? Chad Henne is bad at re-acquiring the defense in his head after he’s been forced to take his eyes off it. It’s clear.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... l+blogs%29

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Henne and playaction failure
Gotta use the kid's strengths. Jeeez.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:25 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Stupidest offensive coaching staff in football.

That said, you need to be able to utilize the PA fake and shotgun...Henne can't be under center with regular 3 and 5 step drops on every pass play...

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:27 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

There's a reason Marino hated PA. He said he could start picking apart the defense even before he got set to throw. He complained PA took 1-2 seconds off my ability to read the defense. ... and yes...shame on Dan Henning because this stat had to be staring him in the face every week.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:18 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Henning called playaction at the most inappropriate times

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:30 pm

MTFan wrote:
Henning called playaction at the most inappropriate times

What like 4th and 9?? Please, it's a perfect time for a PA....

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:34 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Quote:
What like 4th and 9?? Please, it's a perfect time for a PA....

Exactly. As if the fake was fooling anyone anyway, why bother on a 3rd or 4th and long when all it accomplishes is to keep Henne from seeing the field? Horrible use of p.a. Horrible play calling. Good riddance, Henning.

Please, God, let us make the right hires for OC and QB coach.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I do recall a ton of PA on 3rd and long.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:46 pm

jammer wrote:
I do recall a ton of PA on 3rd and long.

And 5 WR's on 3rd and 2....

LOL.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I'm surprised we didn't see playaction with an empty backfield.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:40 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

That's exactly why I want to see Henne with a REAL OC. There is no doubt in my mind that the coaching is 90% of Henne's issue.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:46 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:

It might have done a better job at fooling the defense.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:29 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember the playaction rollout working well in 2009 and Camarillo being the big target. I also remember it working well in goal line situations.

Empty backfields on first down, play action on 3rd and long, wildcat after a string of completions...playcalling was pretty rough at times.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:40 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

We ran the ball last year.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

1984phins wrote:
We ran the ball last year.

Great point. No effective use of play action if opponents don't expect an efficient running attack.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:53 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

whats even sadder is that when you run the ball 18-20 times and throw 40+...play action is a waste...your not fooling anyone....it works when you have been pounding the ball...the safeties start to cheat up a bit, then bam play action sucks them and backers up, and you go for big yards...we did play action in obvious passing downs...why ?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

OMG just for laughs I would pay to see that just one time ....

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:19 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

We actually have...Remember those 5 wide sets, and Ricky or Patrick Cobbs would run across like a reverse? They'd run the reverse, then the very next play fake it...as if it'd fool them considering it went for 2 yards the play before.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:01 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think it was the Bills game there was an empty backfield and Henne under center, when he went for a play action to the invisible running back. I need to see if I can find that play and post a clip of it.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

TxDolfan wrote:
I think it was the Bills game there was an empty backfield and Henne under center, when he went for a play action to the invisible running back. I need to see if I can find that play and post a clip of it.

:) I remember that! glad I am at the point were I can laugh at it; cause at the time I was not laughing

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:27 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

MTFan wrote:
TxDolfan wrote:

:) I remember that! glad I am at the point were I can laugh at it; cause at the time I was not laughing

I don't remember it being an empty backfield though, I think the back was behing him when he faked the handoff.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The talk about Marino not liking play-action is fine ..... for Dan Marino. This is Chad Henne we're talking about. Concerns me a little bit that he's so awful at it. Then again the entire offense is awful.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:25 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I've been harping on it all year long, and it's why I wasn't overly excited to see Tony retain his job; this is a poorly coached team. Pure and simple. This is only one example of the fact.

One other thing. Why for the love of football can't someone show Henne what a pump fake is? Seriously! You telling me that David Lee never noticed that Henne NEVER pump fakes? (forehead slap)

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:01 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Concerns me a little bit that he's so awful at it.

The article above said the QB play fake was the best aspect of the playaction plays...

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:08 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henne is horrible at selling play action. He does not execute the fake well at all. The ball is always exposed and visible. He doesn't look at the back after the fake exchange...he simply starts staring down his first read. The article said:

"Quite frankly, the QB fake on the play-action is the most competent aspect of it. Henne is very inconsistent in his play fakes. That’s better than consistently bad or non-existent, which is the case with the other points of execution in play-action."

That hardly is pointing to Henne as a good play-action QB. In fact, the statement seems to be pointing out Henne as the shiniest piece of poop in a large pile of poop. Hardly anything to get excited about.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:57 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

That hardly is pointing to Henne as a good play-action QB. In fact, the statement seems to be pointing out Henne as the shiniest piece of poop in a large pile of poop. Hardly anything to get excited about.

Kinda the way I took it too. Of course the silver lining is that he is the best at doing his job. haha ;)

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]