View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 PFW Whispers: Dolphins' Soliai proves valuable fill-in 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post PFW Whispers: Dolphins' Soliai proves valuable fill-in
Not sure if the Dolphins hold onto Soliai. The Dolphins do have Starks, so, they do not have to break the bank for Soliai. Realistically you cannot keep all your free agents. That is why you have to do a good job in the draft ... to replace high-priced free agents. The Patriots and Eagles do this all the time, and they still win consistently.

Quote:
Dolphins' Soliai proves valuable fill-in

Dolphins NT Paul Soliai picked a good year to have his most productive season, as he will be a free agent. He was not expected to start in 2010, but injuries to Jared Odrick and Phillip Merling forced some shuffling and Soliai started 14 games, recording eight tackles for loss — the most out of any defensive lineman on the team. With Merling possibly moving to the nose next season and Odrick returning healthy, Soliai may have to fight for his starting spot. One team observer called Soliai a "beast" this season for the 'Fins, and they may want to hold on to him.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/0 ... le-fill-in

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: PFW Whispers: Dolphins' Soliai proves valuable fill-in
Merling to the nose?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:46 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
Dolphins NT Paul Soliai picked a good year to have his most productive season, as he will be a free agent.

Oh, gee. What a coincidence... :hithead:

jammer wrote:
Merling to the nose?

Exactly what I was about to say.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:50 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I'd rather keep Soliai and get rid of Merling.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
I'd rather keep Soliai and get rid of Merling.

We've been searching for a dominant NT since we switched to a 3-4 D in 2005 under Saban. Now we have one who looks the part, and who played extremely well when given his chance.

We need to hold on to Soliai at all costs.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If the Dolphins don't hold on to Soliai, then you have a clear illustration of the stupidity of the staff.....as if more of an illustration was necessary.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:36 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

One thing about Soliai that worries me is how his biggest knock was always that he was lazy and his work ethic sucked. Does he go back to mediocrity after he gets more $$$ and he' not playing for a new contract?

“We all stink. We're 0-6, everybody stinks. We’ve all, in some way, shape or form have not been good enough I don’t care if it’s the front-desk secretary — she ain’t doing a good enough job.”-Reggie Bush

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Njphin wrote:
One thing about Soliai that worries me is how his biggest knock was always that he was lazy and his work ethic sucked. Does he go back to mediocrity after he gets more $$$ and he' not playing for a new contract?

Exaaaaactly.

Don't pay him more than 1.5 mill, or he can walk. He's had one good season, and it just happened to be a contract year. He's fat and lazy, and when he shows up it's a contract year? C'mon man, you're not fooling anyone. I won't pay you til you show me you can do it AT LEAST two years in a row.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
Njphin wrote:

Exaaaaactly.

Don't pay him more than 1.5 mill, or he can walk. He's had one good season, and it just happened to be a contract year. He's fat and lazy, and when he shows up it's a contract year? C'mon man, you're not fooling anyone. I won't pay you til you show me you can do it AT LEAST two years in a row.

His talent possibilities and the performance this year command more than 1.5 million in any market ..... that is the worst of low-balling, especially to a major cog of the defense.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Njphin wrote:

Exaaaaactly.

His talent possibilities and the performance this year command more than 1.5 million in any market

Why? Ever heard of one-hit wonders? Did you hear about Albert Haynesworth...another fat lazy butt that had no incentive other than getting paid, and he got paid after one great season and we've heard nothing but negative things since?

Apparently not.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Haynesworth got paid 100 mil. We're talking about maybe 3-4 with Paul. If he doesn't pan out, you cut him. Not a big deal. But you aren't going to be able to get a legit NT who can start from Day 1 in the draft, so, you need to resign Soliai.

If he pans out, great. If not, it's still a better option that letting him go and counting on a rookie.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
But you aren't going to be able to get a legit NT who can start from Day 1 in the draft.

Says you.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:

Why? Ever heard of one-hit wonders? Did you hear about Albert Haynesworth...another fat lazy butt that had no incentive other than getting paid, and he got paid after one great season and we've heard nothing but negative things since?

Apparently not.

No Iowa .... I've never heard of him. I've never heard of the Redskins either.

Haynesworth is Haynesworth. Soliai is Soliai.

Soliai's play this year earned him a raise regardless. Considering the competition in the market for his services, 1.5 million is a bogus offer considering just how vital that position is to our defense and we really have no legit option to replace him. Please spare me the Starks argument if you're about to give it. It's not his natural position and we were initially forced to move him there, not that we wanted to all along.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
But you aren't going to be able to get a legit NT who can start from Day 1 in the draft.

Says you.

So we spend another draft pick on defense instead of taking a chance on keeping what's working currently?

Which guy are we going to draft as a rookie who's going to come in and master the nose in the 3-4?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Please spare me the Starks argument if you're about to give it. It's not his natural position and we were initially forced to move him there, not that we wanted to all along.

Spare the legitimate argument? Initially forced? That's what Miami was going to do...Soliai was FORCED due to the injuries at DE...they moved Starks to NT and Soliai got the start.

We've got starks, now draft someone else if Soliai wants to cash in on his ONE SEASON....which was actually 14 starts.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:02 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
Spare the legitimate argument? Initially forced? That's what Miami was going to do...Soliai was FORCED due to the injuries at DE...they moved Starks to NT and Soliai got the start.

We've got starks, now draft someone else if Soliai wants to cash in on his ONE SEASON....which was actually 14 starts.

Starks is not an NT. He was a project at NT (forced there) because of Ferg's injuries. Soliai has spent his entire career there learning the position and this year the fruit of that finally bloomed (albeit a contract year helping that no doubt). He wasn't forced to become an NT, just forced to become the starter.

Again, who's your magic draft pick at NT and what makes your "speculation" so applicable to whomever this mystery player is?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Starks is not an NT. He was a project at NT (forced there) because of Ferg's injuries.

That's just not true. The defensive plan ever since Nolan got there was to put Starks at NT....hence not drafting one or signing one in FA.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Says you.

So we spend another draft pick on defense instead of taking a chance on keeping what's working currently?

Which guy are we going to draft as a rookie who's going to come in and master the nose in the 3-4?

Have to agree with this line of logic. Why spend more draft picks on defense when we need so much help on offense? If he can be resigned reasonably, there is no reason to let him walk. I think it just took a while for him to find himself in the NFL. I know he has had work ethic issues in the past, but the guy has steadily improved each year in the league. I'd say he earned a pay raise.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
Have to agree with this line of logic. Why spend more draft picks on defense when we need so much help on offense? If he can be resigned reasonably, there is no reason to let him walk. I think it just took a while for him to find himself in the NFL. I know he has had work ethic issues in the past, but the guy has steadily improved each year in the league. I'd say he earned a pay raise.

Another thing too is imagine just how much better the defense will perform if we can get a viable offense to rest them up more during games.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:18 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
If the Dolphins don't hold on to Soliai, then you have a clear illustration of the stupidity of the staff.....as if more of an illustration was necessary.

This

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:27 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think that the Dolphins should definitely make it priority to resign Soliai, almost as much as Ronnie Brown. However, we do not need to bust the salary cap for him. He played above average this season and was a monster against the run but we need to see consistency first.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:41 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I have said this off season the 2 most important re signs are Incognito at C and Soliai at NT. Yes it would be great if Soliai had 2 years of this kinda playing under his belt, but it is what it is.

Quote:
That's just not true. The defensive plan ever since Nolan got there was to put Starks at NT....hence not drafting one or signing one in FA

Umm, ok. Starks went to NT after fergie was injured/retired....he had a monster year at DE for us the year before, there was never any plan to move him inside. Soliai was drafted as a NT, played behind Fergie as a NT, then made it apparent this year he is a better NT then Starks, who played back at DE ...we need to re sign him, i don't care what the cost...it won't be un reasonable, but in the 3-4 the NT is the most pivotal postition

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The Nolan defense did think Starks could handle the NT role. Soliai filled it better this year, even if he made it there because of other injuries along the line. I'd like to see Miami bring him back and I agree that there is legit concern that he may revert back to the inconsitent form he showed prior to this year. I wouldn't overpay to get him back, but then again I'm not sure he'd get an enormous paycheck from another team based on his entire body of work.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:07 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Soliai has been a work in progress for Miami and along the way his work ethic and conditioning has improved along with his maddening inconsistent play. This year he has finally put it together and has become a key cog in the Dolphins D.

As hard as it is to find a NT in a 3-4 scheme, I 'm not for letting Soliai get away. And as far as I am concerned, Randy Starks is better at DE.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IMO, Miami resigns Soliai, I cannot even believe anyone would use the, what if he gets back to being lazy card....this guy has vastly improved and seems to play with fire and passion now. I just dont see him getting lazy on his teammates and coaches because he signed for a few more million, I mean come on now, you can make that argument to how many folks that finally stepped up their game to earn a big pay day and PLENTY of players get better and play well the rest of their career. Nose tackle is also full of technique to learn and master in order to be more successful and that is the area I keep hearing that he has improved so much.

Bottom line, he is a keeper and there is no debate here. WAY too hard to find these trench hogs in the middle and he is a load.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Iowa, some of things you are saying are just not realistic. You think Soliai's agent is going to say "OK, we'll take less just to prove to you he can be consistent." While that would be nice, that's just not what's going to happen. It's going to take more than $1.5 million to resign him.

Personally, I don't have a problem with signing him to a richer contract. I think the safety net the team can provide itself is with the length of the deal. Keep it at 2 or 3 years.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:42 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MNDolfan wrote:
Iowa, some of things you are saying are just not realistic. You think Soliai's agent is going to say "OK, we'll take less just to prove to you he can be consistent." While that would be nice, that's just not what's going to happen. It's going to take more than $1.5 million to resign him.

Personally, I don't have a problem with signing him to a richer contract. I think the safety net the team can provide itself is with the length of the deal. Keep it at 2 or 3 years.

Miami signed Jake Grove, Justin Smiley, and Chad Pennington. Resigned Channing Crowder, Will Allen and Jason Ferguson. All of these guys had a history of injuries....i, for one, was upset with the fact that they wanted to rely on these guys fro 16 games when you know it's more than likely not going to happen. So what do you do? If you sign these guys, it's a liability...so you have to have a backup.

If you sign Soliai, you know he has a tendency to be fat and lazy. You know that other players once getting signed to a big contract have just turned into big piles of crap. So what do you do? You draft/sign someone as a backup OR sign him to a smaller to keep him hungry OR do both.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:45 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iowafin wrote:
If you sign Soliai, you know he has a tendency to be fat and lazy. You know that other players once getting signed to a big contract have just turned into big piles of crap. So what do you do? You draft/sign someone as a backup OR sign him to a smaller to keep him hungry OR do both.

Soliai has given no indication of being lazy the past two years. Maybe Sparano has worked that out of him and he's grown up.

Since Sparano has seen his work ethic the past 3 years, if he is resigned then I will just take it that he's a changed man. The media labels people a certain way and the fans just never forget.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

There are more teams than ever running a 3-4, and there will be a good market for Soliai. That gives his agent some excellent ground to negotiate from, so there is no way you can lowball Paul and expect him back.

As has been noted, the best you can hope to do is limit the contract years to 2-3. It only takes ONE team to offer a 4-5 year contract at $4-5 mil/year to put the Phins FO in a tough spot. Hopefully they can convince Soliai to take a 2 year contract at $4 mil/year with the idea he will get another big contract (with more per year) at the end of that. If he has another good 2 years at NT, no reason he can't get $5-6 mil/year on the next contract.

Even more important, don't create another hole the team needs to fill, especially since we already lack a second rounder this draft, and it will be tough enough to fix the offense without needing to spend a high pick on a rookie NT.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well said Dave, well said.... :yay:

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Soliai has given no indication of being lazy the past two years. Maybe Sparano has worked that out of him and he's grown up.

Since Sparano has seen his work ethic the past 3 years, if he is resigned then I will just take it that he's a changed man. The media labels people a certain way and the fans just never forget.

I'd agree with that...but I also know that coaches/the front office don't know everything...just look at some of the guys they've put onto the field. Will Soliai be fat and lazy with a big contract? I don't think anyone can know that. I'm just simply using what we've known to be true as why I'd throw caution at the situation and not just assume he's our NT and will be the NT he was last year...because he hasn't always been that guy.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]