View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Race is on for Karlos Dansby 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post The Race is on for Karlos Dansby
QUOTE: “We live in a stage of politics, where legislators seem to regard the passage of laws as much more important than the results of their enforcement.” -- William Howard Taft, “Our Chief Magistrate and His Powers”

Happy Presidents Day to everyone…

A report over the weekend said Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby is interested in four teams -- the Giants, ‘Skins, Chargers and Dolphins -- who are all good fits for his talent and could use his services within the framework of their defenses. But will all four be able to acquire his rights? Three of the four can be active in pursuing Dansby, and only the Chargers will be limited with their offer based on a $5-million first-year salary and the restrictions placed on the final eight teams. The Chargers can make this work if they want, but they have so many other players to sign that even though Dansby would be a welcome addition, they first have to think about getting wideout Vincent Jackson and tackle Marcus McNeill re-signed. It’s difficult to acquire new free agents when you have pending free agents of your own — there’s only so much money to go around.

Karlos DansbyAPKarlos Dansby will have plenty of suitors at the start of free agency.

The other three teams will be free to spend whatever they want but will have some form of internal budget. For example, the ‘Skins, picking fourth overall, will have to account for that expense in their free-agent planning. In the past, they have always been heavy hitters in free agency -- and I suspect they will be this year as well -- but they never had to spend for the fourth pick overall, which in terms of cash is like signing two heavy-duty free agents. What the ‘Skins must prepare for and protect themselves against is the return of a cap, as unrealistic as that might seem today.

The Giants spent a ton of money last year in free agency, and their committed cash expense is high for 2010, so I can see them signing a player like Dansby -- but it will have to be the right deal. My sense of the Giants this free agency period is that they’ll shop for bargains along with making deals that fit their budget. Team owner John Mara has complained about player costs, so he would look bad if the Giants were overly aggressive in free agency.

The Dolphins also spent money in free agency last year and, like the Giants, are high in committed cash. But my sense of the Fins is that they’ll be active in free agency trying to fix their problems on defense. They signed linebacker Channing Crowder last year to a big deal but all season were looking for inside backer help. What hurts most is when you sign a player to fortify a need, but three months later that help has not been provided. The Dolphins, like the Giants, were too slow on defense, especially inside at linebacker, so it makes perfect sense that they would be chasing the same players.

So who gets Dansby? My money would be on the Giants or Dolphins, but don’t rule out a sleeper team like the Patriots, who could use more speed on defense. One thing’s for sure when it comes to those three teams -- they all seem to share a passion for the same players, especially on defense.

Follow me on Twitter: michaelombardi

Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:04 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: The Race is on for Karlos Dansby
Makes sense that NY would cut Pierce to make room for Dansby.

While I think you are better off these days drafting an ILB, (cheaper, younger, and you get about the same production), if Karlos Dansby is available for the right price, you have to go get him. He is an absolute monster and fits what we need defensively perfectly.

He says we signed Crowder to a big deal, but we did not...it was a pretty cheap deal actually, so I don't see Miami having a problem with investing a little money to the inside of that LB core.

I agree with Lombardi though, in that a surprise team, (although I don't think it will be NE), will swoop in and over-spend for him.

I guess we'll just have to wait untill March 5th, but if I had to guess I'd say Miami does not end up getting him. He would be a huge signing though.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:15 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Phins Rock wrote:
While I think you are better off these days drafting an ILB, (cheaper, younger, and you get about the same production)

How much would we have to pay Dansby versus a rookie linebacker taken at #12 though?

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:33 am

Not sure if that was rhetoric or not, but it got me thinking.

Patrick Willis, taken at 12 in 2007:
5 year, 16.556 million dollar deal.

Bart Scott in FA last year:
6 year, 48 million.

To me, you'd be seeing similar deals for McClain, and then for Dansby. The price would probably be a little higher for each, but you get the idea....

Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:38 am

I think the bonus money is key, though. How much bonus money for Scott versus Willis? Scott could have gotten a backloaded contract.

That being said, I think our next starting ILB will be a rookie, not a free agent.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:02 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
I think the bonus money is key, though. How much bonus money for Scott versus Willis? Scott could have gotten a backloaded contract.

That being said, I think our next starting ILB will be a rookie, not a free agent.

From what a lot of the "experts" say, the best WR and the best DTs will be taken by #12. The best player worth the #12 pick should be an ILB.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Some mocks I have seen have both Rolando McClain and Dez Bryant off the board by the time Miami pick, and I can see that happening.

Signing Dansby will not be cheap, but you know what you have in Dansby, a proven playmaker at the ILB position that is less than 30 years old. I believe McClain will be a very good ILB at the next level, but that is just speculation on my part.

Parcells likes Dansby as a player, so we will see how serious Miami is about acquring Dansby.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

$16m for the cards to resign him [they wont do that !!!!!]
god i hope we make a run at him!!
if only we get him in FA i would be happy

i know its a uncapped year ,but if we release porter,wilson,ayodele,maybe torbor
that sure is alot of money saved ,lets make a run at a top flight FA for a change
we need impact/ play makers instead of role /depth players now

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:52 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah, I'm tired of this "if he comes at the right price"

Not only is it uncapped, but that is such a general term.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I dont care which ILB we get as long as we get one that is good in coverage. I think our biggest area of concern on D is the absolute lack of coverage in the middle. Whether it be from the ILB's or the safety.

I like this guy, but I also like McClain... So either will suite me just fine. The upside to Dansby is he leaves the #12 pick open, and there is no guarantee that McClain will still be there anyway..

I dont care for Ayedelle or Torbor, but wouldnt mind keeping Crowder, he makes average money and is a consistent average/above average player. I like him against the run..

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:01 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

10acjed wrote:
I dont care which ILB we get as long as we get one that is good in coverage. I think our biggest area of concern on D is the absolute lack of coverage in the middle. Whether it be from the ILB's or the safety.

I like this guy, but I also like McClain... So either will suite me just fine. The upside to Dansby is he leaves the #12 pick open, and there is no guarantee that McClain will still be there anyway..

I dont care for Ayedelle or Torbor, but wouldnt mind keeping Crowder, he makes average money and is a consistent average/above average player. I like him against the run..

If he is there, I say we still take him.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:10 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

moley wrote:
,but if we release porter,wilson,ayodele,maybe torbor
that sure is alot of money saved ,

sure, if we released our defense that would cut out a lot of our spending. But then again we would have to replace those players and I'm betting the new players might want to be paid.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]