View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What are your thoughts on Cam Newton? 
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post What are your thoughts on Cam Newton?
I dunno if he is eligible but I see many comparisons to Culpepper. And Cam has that Marinoesque laser beam 20 yard rocket ball arm. I like him.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:31 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Post Re: What are your thoughts on Cam Newton?
He'll be gone way before we get to pick. Watched him all year long as I'm a Tide fan.... his athletic ability is ridiculous. Far far gone at #15, I would think.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:30 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

He is an athlete playing quarterback rather than a quarterback with athletic ability. I am leery of those types of players.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:48 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Im not 100% sold on first round QB's that have any ? lingering around them..

I still think the best option for the draft is either taking a RB or O-line in round one...

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:30 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

agree w/rich,,,no thanx!

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I agree with both Coots and Rich. I think a team will take a chance on him way before Miami picks and I wonder what type of development he needs.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:25 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He is an athlete playing quarterback rather than a quarterback with athletic ability. I am leery of those types of players.

Yep, no thanks. I hope he's gone by time we pick.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:31 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Auburn fan so I might be biased but I love him. I thought wed pick a little sooner so I entertained the thought for a while but it is not happening. He will be a bill and the bills will continue to be a bad team but he, cj and lee evans will be enough to beat the dolphins.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:32 pm
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

yeah this totally blows with the Standford QB not coming in next year.

Slim pickings as usual. so this guy will be gone too.

When will Miami ever get a break or make a decent move?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Rick wrote:
When will Miami ever... make a decent move?

Yes, acquiring Jake Long and Vontae Davis were terrible moves.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:27 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:

hey Rich I'm curious to know, which one was Tebow? Athlete or QB?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:12 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Wow you guys are very critical! This kid has all the ability in the world and he LEADS his team down 3 TD to come back and beat the Champs! What is the criteria for a good QB for you guys. His team is UNDEFEATED IN THE SEC AND PLAYING FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP!
Luck is at home and couldn't win the big game but all of you are drooling over him. Yes he's a good QB but the difference between him and Newton is not much. Newton already has the IT factor. Remember he is doing what his coach is telling him to do. I'm sure if he played in a pro style offense he would excel in that too. We won't be there to pick him at 15 but I would love to have him play for the Phins.
Looks like Tebow is doing pretty good!
:hithead:

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Newton has the "it" factor alright ... the dipsh-IT factor. I get images of Steamin' Willie Beamin' with this guy being in Miami. Aside from the fact that he's an athlete playing QB, I really do not like the high profile aspect hanging around this guy .... and the situation with his father ..... I see Miami as a poor fit.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:37 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

I agree, very high bust factor with that type. If he was able to learn the game from the bench for two or three seasons then maybe he could make the transition but I just don't see the fans being patient enough for that to happen. A scenario where I could see Cam Newton working out is if we sign Donovan McNabb to a three year deal and have Newton lean from the bench behind McNabb for two seasons. Then in his third year he could try to take over while McNabb holds the clipboard. McNabb is a guy who made the switch from athelete to pocket passer so if anybody could teach a player like Cam Newton it would be him plus a very good quarterbacks coach would need to be involved. That being said, I just don't see it working out. Too risky.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:13 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rock Sexton wrote:
Newton has the "it" factor alright ... the dipsh-IT factor. I get images of Steamin' Willie Beamin' with this guy being in Miami. Aside from the fact that he's an athlete playing QB, I really do not like the high profile aspect hanging around this guy .... and the situation with his father ..... I see Miami as a poor fit.

Dipshit? Who are you to be calling him a dipshit? You sound like a hater to me! Who has the IT factor then?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:21 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

MdDolfan wrote:
Wow you guys are very critical! This kid has all the ability in the world and he LEADS his team down 3 TD to come back and beat the Champs! What is the criteria for a good QB for you guys. His team is UNDEFEATED IN THE SEC AND PLAYING FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP!
Luck is at home and couldn't win the big game but all of you are drooling over him. Yes he's a good QB but the difference between him and Newton is not much. Newton already has the IT factor. Remember he is doing what his coach is telling him to do. I'm sure if he played in a pro style offense he would excel in that too. We won't be there to pick him at 15 but I would love to have him play for the Phins.

How about the fact that Newton can't throw or read defenses??

I'm not sure what you're talking about Luck?? At home and couldn't win it?? I don't know what that means.

And Tebow will not be starting for a team next year, or at any point in the future unless due to injury. I'd be willing to put money on it. He's not an NFL QB.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Dipshit? Who are you to be calling him a dipshit? You sound like a hater to me! Who has the IT factor then?

Slow your roll MD. I'm talking about Cam, not you ..... please reserve the hater comments for the yahoo message boards please.

Everything I've seen of him this year, especially in the light of the mess he and his father got into just says red flag all over the place. Spotlight and money hungry. Pass.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:25 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rock Sexton wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Slow your roll MD. I'm talking about Cam, not you ..... please reserve the hater comments for the yahoo message boards please.

Everything I've seen of him this year, especially in the light of the mess he and his father got into just says red flag all over the place. Spotlight and money hungry. Pass.

you called the KID a dipshit and I should slow my roll? Why is he a dipshit?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:

Ya and you responded like I called you one.

Shopping his services to colleges ...... that's why ..... the kid's got a big head and already too busy trying to be a media darling.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:33 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rock Sexton wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:

Ya and you responded like I called you one.

Shopping his services to colleges ...... that's why ..... the kid's got a big head and already too busy trying to be a media darling.

I responded like I wanted to know why you called him a dipshit. I think it's amazing to do what this kid has done with all the media hype and pressure. His father may be the dipshit but not him. So slow your roll and know what your talking about first.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:

I responded like I wanted to know why you called him a dipshit. I think it's amazing to do what this kid has done with all the media hype and pressure. His father may be the dipshit but not him. So slow your roll and know what your talking about first.

Ya, because Cam had absolutely no knowledge his father was shopping him. Right. What happened to the "always wanted to go to Miss. St." thing? If money hadn't been an issue for him he would've been there not Auburn.

Let's not be naive here .... and trust me I know enough.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:47 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

So if you guys are Ireland and Newton is there at 15, who are you picking instead?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:51 pm

MdDolfan wrote:
So if you guys are Ireland and Newton is there at 15, who are you picking instead?

If there is a legit QB at that spot, I'm taking him instead. Otherwise I'm trading down. I don't see Newton as an NFL QB. He can't read D's, isn't accurate, doesn't make quick decisions, and doesn't have great pocket presence (although does have good ability to extend the play)...

He's an athlete playing QB, like Rich said. He isn't half the QB that Vince Young was coming out of Texas.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:53 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phins Rock wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:

If there is a legit QB at that spot, I'm taking him instead. Otherwise I'm trading down. I don't see Newton as an NFL QB. He can't read D's, isn't accurate, doesn't make quick decisions, and doesn't have great pocket presence (although does have good ability to extend the play)...

He's an athlete playing QB, like Rich said. He isn't half the QB that Vince Young was coming out of Texas.

Lol! Everybody said the same thing about Tebow! But we will see....None of us are paid to scout college QB's!

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:16 pm

MdDolfan wrote:
Rich wrote:

I'm not sure why that matters. Tim Tebow with his 50% completion rate hasn't proven anything. Let's see how he does coming in as the starter and when teams get film on him.

There is a long list of athletes playing QB that have failed or struggled in the NFL. Most notably another SEC QB who led his team to a national championship...

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
Lol! Everybody said the same thing about Tebow! But we will see

Yeah, everyone did...what's your point?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:21 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I see a lot of upside and a lot downside at the same time with Newton. I think he could develop into a nice run pass threat like Vick, or he could flop like fellow SEC QB Jamarcus Russell, or he could be somewhere in the middle like Vince Young. If he was available at 15 I think the Dolphins should give him a serious look.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:47 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm not sure why that matters. Tim Tebow with his 50% completion rate hasn't proven anything. Let's see how he does coming in as the starter and when teams get film on him.

Bingo.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:44 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Makchell wrote:

Bingo.

Dolphins need to search on Phinfever, all the QB guru's are right here...
:youwin:

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:07 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

CAPO wrote:
I dunno if he is eligible but I see many comparisons to Culpepper. And Cam has that Marinoesque laser beam 20 yard rocket ball arm. I like him.

me too!

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:09 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

My hometown Oregon Ducks are gonna beat Auburn so bad he will never wanna play again!!! GO DUCKS!!!!

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:40 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree with many of you in here that think the odds are stacked against quarterbacks who are better atheletes than pocket passers. But to say without a doubt that a guy like Cam Newton is not NFL quarterbacks, I have to disagree with that statement. He will be drafted by someone this year and after he's signed he will be an NFL quarterback. Then he will go to work with his team learning how to be an NFL quarterback. Whether he becomes a good one completely depends on how hard he works and how much quality help he gets from his teammates and coaches. Newton has a better arm and is a faster runner than Tim Tebow. Tebow has more intangibles like his leaderhsip for one, but physically speaking he's inferior to Newton. Tebow was taken in the 1st round last year and played three games this year. His accuracy stunk but the guy put points on the board, he actually won them a game too. While I don't think Tebow will ever be an elite NFL quarterback I do think he could develop into a good starter. Cam Newton is the same thing in my eyes, the odds are stacked against him but I think he stil has the potential to do it. It's all up to him.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:04 am

MdDolfan wrote:
Dolphins need to search on Phinfever, all the QB guru's are right here...
:youwin:

Are you a close, personal friend of Cam Newton? Or are you Cam Newton himself? If not, you're taking our opinions way too much to heart.

There are some here trying to have intelligent football discussions, giving their OPINIONS, which is the point of this forum, and you seem to have a problem with those differing opinions. Rather than respond intelligently or not respond at all if you have nothing of value to say, you feel the need to be sarcastic.

What is the point of your post other than to deride, antagonize and belittle those you don't agree with?

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:22 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I like Cam Newton. I think he'll be a solid pro. Of the QBs who are serious running threats he's the best passer since Elway. He's a much better passer than Vick, Tebow, Vince Young, or Pat White. And JaMarcus Russell was never an athlete playing QB. He was a lineman playing QB.

Edit: by better passer I mean coming out of college. Vick is amazing right now.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Are you a close, personal friend of Cam Newton? Or are you Cam Newton himself? If not, you're taking our opinions way too much to heart.

There are some here trying to have intelligent football discussions, giving their OPINIONS, which is the point of this forum, and you seem to have a problem with those differing opinions. Rather than respond intelligently or not respond at all if you have nothing of value to say, you feel the need to be sarcastic.

What is the point of your post other than to deride, antagonize and belittle those you don't agree with?

Thank you RIch. Great MD, we get it, you like Cam Newton and I don't.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:02 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

MdDolfan wrote:
His team is UNDEFEATED IN THE SEC AND PLAYING FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

If that's the case, why don't we wait until a late round and pick Greg McElroy? He led his team to an undefeated season, in the sec, and won the national title?

I've watched Newton all year, praying they'd lose a game, but they didn't. Like Rich and several have said, he's a athletic QB, who has that "wow" factor when it comes to college football. I wouldn't take him at #15, but I'm no pro scout either. The only QB that I liked in this draft was Luck... there was no way he was falling to us anyway. The second choice I'd have would be Mallet, even though I'm not "in love" with him as some would say. I think he's got a long way to go and needs a good bit of work but again, I'm no pro scout.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:07 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Phins Rock wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:

How about the fact that Newton can't throw or read defenses??

I'm not sure what you're talking about Luck?? At home and couldn't win it?? I don't know what that means.

And Tebow will not be starting for a team next year, or at any point in the future unless due to injury. I'd be willing to put money on it. He's not an NFL QB.

20 bucks says Tebow is Qb'ing the Broncos next season. I'd make it more but its like taking candy from a baby.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:10 pm

Rich wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
Rich wrote:

There is a long list of athletes playing QB that have failed or struggled in the NFL. Most notably another SEC QB who led his team to a national championship...

Tebow lead his team back to a 4th quarter win in his 2nd game. Almost repeated that in his 3rd. If you haven't been watching, the kid is going to be a star in this league.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:12 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rich wrote:
Rick wrote:
When will Miami ever... make a decent move?

Yes, acquiring Jake Long and Vontae Davis were terrible moves.

2 great picks but some folks think if it's not a 1st rd QB or RB then it doesn't get remembered. Jake Long will solidify that position or another 10 years. Great pick.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:57 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Tebow lead his team back to a 4th quarter win in his 2nd game. Almost repeated that in his 3rd. If you haven't been watching, the kid is going to be a star in this league.

Chad Henne had four 4th quarter comebacks in 2009. If that's the criteria to know for sure a player is going to be a star, then we should cease all the draft a QB or trade for Orton talk right now because it is set in stone!

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next