View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What are your thoughts on Cam Newton? 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: What are your thoughts on Cam Newton?
Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Tebow lead his team back to a 4th quarter win in his 2nd game. Almost repeated that in his 3rd. If you haven't been watching, the kid is going to be a star in this league.

Chad Henne had four 4th quarter comebacks in 2009. If that's the criteria to know for sure a player is going to be a star, then we should cease all the draft a QB or trade for Orton talk right now because it is set in stone!

Hey, I drank the koolaid and though Henne was the guy after last season. He still might be. I'm willing to go through the growing pains but you have to bring in Orton if he's available. Just makes sense to upgrade if possible. As far as Tebow goes, it is my opinion he's going to be a star. The intangibles are off the scale.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:27 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:
As far as Tebow goes, it is my opinion he's going to be a star. The intangibles are off the scale.

That's fine and you are entitled to that prognostication.

But using the 3 games he played as a barometer is a very small sampling to formalize an opinion on.

I'd like to see how Tebow is going to perform going into camp as the starter and how he will handle defenses getting film on him.

He is a running quarterback and not just one who scrambles but one who tries to take on tacklers and bowl them over.

That means he will be at risk for injury quite often.

Additionally, he has never played in a pro-set where he has to drop back, scan the defense and pass. What is going to happen when defenses figure out how to remove his first option? He will probably tuck it and run and it isn't going to be college players making the hit.

We'll see how he develops, but he hasn't proven anything to be used as an example for why Cam Newton will get it done in the NFL.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:02 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Steve Young said it best a few weeks ago, "In college everyone is open, in the pros no one is open." I hesitate to get too excited about any college player until he shows it at the NFL level. I can pull up youtube videos that makes several college QBs look like stars in the making.

I'm not high on Newton but I wouldn't be shocked if some team reached for him in the top 10.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Size: The first thing you note about Cam Newton is his size. If he were to step into the NFL right now, he’d be the biggest quarterback out there from the get go. Size at the quarterback position is a must. You have to have the size to be able to take the repeated pounding a QB will at the NFL level. Just ask former Dolphins QB Pat White about that.

Arm Strength: One thing that pops out at you right away is the arm strength Newton possesses. He gets the ball out quickly and with the velocity needed to succeed at the next level. He can throw outside the numbers, and I don’t see a throw he doesn’t possess the ability to make.

Accuracy: Newton has great placement on the deep ball, but I have noticed some inconsistencies in his short to intermediate game. A lot of this stems from mechanical issues, which I’ll cover momentarily.

Mechanical:This is quite possibly the weakest area of Newton’s game. His mechanics are quite often down right awful. ...

Mobility: I don’t think anyone who has watched college football this season really needs this aspect of Newton’s game covered. Newton is a long strider with enough straight line speed to beat you in a foot race, and the power to break tackles if you don’t use proper technique and wrap up.

Pre/Post snap reads: Another glaring weakness in Newton’s game is the lack of pre-snap reads. This isn’t his fault, it’s a product of Auburn’s offensive style, but taking the audible ability out of the hands of your quarterback, does a disservice in preparing him for life in the NFL. Since all of the calls come from the sideline, Newton will be behind the curve in diagnosing defensive looks at the NFL level.

Post snap, Newton has been given mostly simplified half field reads, thanks to the offensive system he’s in. Most pass plays are designed 1-2 reads and then for Newton to take off. We’ve seen quarterbacks struggle mightily to transition from this type of offense before (Vince Young). I’m not saying Newton can’t, I’m just saying he certainly has his work cut out for him.

Intangibles:Newton certainly has that “it” factor. ...

Overall Newton is an intriguing prospect. He will be a project for whatever teams eventually drafts him. Personally given the amount of work that’s going to have to go into him, as well as the potential character risk, I wouldn’t touch him before the second round. You just don’t make a guy with as many things swirling above him as Cam Newton, the face of your franchise. That said, given the raw physicality, size, and athleticism, I can definitely see a team that thinks they can coach him up, snapping him up in the late first round, where salaries aren’t prohibitively high to sit a guy for awhile.

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/scouting/sc ... am-newton/

Last edited by AQNOR on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Rich wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
As far as Tebow goes, it is my opinion he's going to be a star. The intangibles are off the scale.

That's fine and you are entitled to that prognostication.

But using the 3 games he played as a barometer is a very small sampling to formalize an opinion on.

I'd like to see how Tebow is going to perform going into camp as the starter and how he will handle defenses getting film on him.

He is a running quarterback and not just one who scrambles but one who tries to take on tacklers and bowl them over.

That means he will be at risk for injury quite often.

Additionally, he has never played in a pro-set where he has to drop back, scan the defense and pass. What is going to happen when defenses figure out how to remove his first option? He will probably tuck it and run and it isn't going to be college players making the hit.

We'll see how he develops, but he hasn't proven anything to be used as an example for why Cam Newton will get it done in the NFL.

I've watched Tebow for several years now, including college. He is doing the same thing in Denver he did at Florida...improvise when things aren't going well. One thing I've learned about good NFL QB's is they all have to have some kind of game when everything goes to hell in a handbasket. IE..the pocket breaks down and options 1 and 2 are not there...what do they do? Some slide around in the pocket, some scamble outside of it. The ability to keep focused downfield while running for your life is usually the difference between good and bad QBs. The ability to "lead". Some guys have it...some guys don't.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Quote:
I've watched Tebow for several years now, including college. He is doing the same thing in Denver he did at Florida...

Sorry but you can't even compare college and the pros. He has played in three games.

Like I said, when he does it over an extended period of time after defenses have film on him, then it will be legit.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:47 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Cam Newton just short-armed a 2 yd pass, no thanks. That was terrible. Henne would have made that throw.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:58 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

dolphinjim wrote:
Cam Newton just short-armed a 2 yd pass, no thanks. That was terrible. Henne would have made that throw.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:23 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
MdDolfan wrote:
Dolphins need to search on Phinfever, all the QB guru's are right here...
:youwin:

Are you a close, personal friend of Cam Newton? Or are you Cam Newton himself? If not, you're taking our opinions way too much to heart.

There are some here trying to have intelligent football discussions, giving their OPINIONS, which is the point of this forum, and you seem to have a problem with those differing opinions. Rather than respond intelligently or not respond at all if you have nothing of value to say, you feel the need to be sarcastic.

What is the point of your post other than to deride, antagonize and
belittle those you don't agree with?

Calling somebody a Dipshit is an opinion and having an INTELLIGENT FOOTBALL DISCUSSION? I have no ties to Newton I just have an open mind to the potential of a player. So please check what EVERYBODY is posting and don't single me out! Thanks

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 am

MdDolfan wrote:
Calling somebody a Dipshit is an opinion and having an INTELLIGENT FOOTBALL DISCUSSION?

No, countering your example of Tebow is. And your response to that was far from it.

Quote:
So please check what EVERYBODY is posting and don't single me out! Thanks

I'm only "singling" you out because you decided to use antagonism and sarcasm to respond to my post.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:56 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rock Sexton wrote:
Newton has the "it" factor alright ... the dipsh-IT factor. I get images of Steamin' Willie Beamin' with this guy being in Miami. Aside from the fact that he's an athlete playing QB, I really do not like the high profile aspect hanging around this guy .... and the situation with his father ..... I see Miami as a poor fit.

Hey Rich was this part of the INTELLIGENT FOOTBALL DISCUSSION?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:07 am

MdDolfan wrote:
Hey Rich was this part of the INTELLIGENT FOOTBALL DISCUSSION?

Read my post again:

Quote:
There are some here trying to have intelligent football discussions

I can't worry about Rock Sexton because I'm not having a discussion with him. I was having one with you and felt my responses were well-thought out and reasonable and you chose to come back with sarcasm and ridicule:

Quote:
Dolphins need to search on Phinfever, all the QB guru's are right here...

If you can't see why I took exception to your post, then this is an exercise in futility.

I'm going to get back on topic now, and that is Cam Newton.

Hopefully you'll do the same.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:13 am

Phins Rock wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

Two completely different throws. That short-arm by Newton was just as bad as Henne's wobbler... maybe worse.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:23 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Newton is playing a good game tonight, but his line is giving him forever to throw. He already missed two easy touchdown tosses and he looks to have slow acceleration. I am more impressed by Auburn's defensive line.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:27 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phins Rock wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

touche!!

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:48 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Cam didn't play well, but he had two turnovers tonight. WHat is going to happen when he gets to the NFL and the game is faster? Between his freshman RB and OL, he should have had 500yrds and 4tds. I really don't think he will make it in the NFL. Ditto for Tebow. NFL teams will break Tevow's game down and shut him down. See Vick's stats in the first 6 games he played compared to his last 6. Defenses will figure it out.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Cam Newton is a much better passer than Tebow I see a lot of nitpicking bias here. The kid made a lot of good throws on the run and he made some good ones in the pocket too. No he isnt going to be able to make a living running as a quarterback but he can take it when the defense gives i too him and he moves well in the pocket and makes his progressions while on the move and while making time for himself and he can make every throw. Better than Tebow, way better than Vince Young. Just wait.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:10 pm

Ggippo why is giving an opinion bias?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Rich wrote:
Quote:
I've watched Tebow for several years now, including college. He is doing the same thing in Denver he did at Florida...

Sorry but you can't even compare college and the pros. He has played in three games.

Like I said, when he does it over an extended period of time after defenses have film on him, then it will be legit.

You can if you watch enough games. Peyton Manning is no different in the pros than he was in college. He throws a lot of high risk passes and connects on more TDs than he does INTs. He struggles against good defenses for the same reason he did in college. With QB's it is the game upstairs that counts. In college, they could rely on talent. In the Pros, they have to more cerebral and work hard. Tebow has the complete package and he's shown it on the field in the NFL.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:09 pm

BTW...Tebow produced 11 TD's in a little over 3 games worth of action. His scrambling ability produced 230yds. After the initial shot where he got hurt, he quickly adapted and learned to get OB or slide. His 230yds and 5.7yd average didnt' show up on the stat sheet. Again, his biggest asset is his ability to make plays once the pocket breaks down ala Mike Vick.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:14 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Tebow has the complete package and he's shown it on the field in the NFL.

In all of three games...

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:36 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

catman_56 wrote:
I see a lot of upside and a lot downside at the same time with Newton. I think he could develop into a nice run pass threat like Vick, or he could flop like fellow SEC QB Jamarcus Russell, or he could be somewhere in the middle like Vince Young. If he was available at 15 I think the Dolphins should give him a serious look.

A lot of downside, and you think he should be considered for our 1st pick?

That's bad strategy.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Then he will go to work with his team learning how to be an NFL quarterback. Whether he becomes a good one completely depends on how hard he works and how much quality help he gets from his teammates and coaches.

That's as wrong a statement as I've ever read. Some guys just don't work out, hard work notwithstanding.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:

Tebow lead his team back to a 4th quarter win in his 2nd game.

Uh . . . so did Chad Henne.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

People always fall in love with this type of QB. It just doesn't work. The QB's best attribute has to be his ability to stand in the pocket and read defenses, not running.

Defenses always figure you out and you take to much punishment. Check out Vick's last few games.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

Yes and no...Henne had some wicked bad throws this past year (usually having to do with his hand placement on the ball), but that's not short arming.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:07 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I don't think it's fair to read too much into the championship game performance. We know those were the two best offenses in the nation. Since they both woefully underperformed I think its fair to say the 40 days betwen games made for an atypical performance for both offenses.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Here is the truth about Cam Newton. Barring an electrifying spring in which he simply blows at least one personnel man with full say over his organization and a draft pick before the 14th overall selection, Newton will be there when the Dolphins select in April's first round.

And if Jeff Ireland learned anything from mentor Bill Parcells, he probably will not select Newton. But, but, but why you cry aloud?

Because Newton doesn't fit the profile. He's played one season. That's a red flag or it should be. He's been all about the spread option formation and NFL quarterbacks have to be under center. There will be questions about Newton's footwork because of that system he played under, questions as fundamental as, "Can this guy operate under center?"

There are also questions about whether Newton can read defenses. He didn't do very well in the one or two games he was presented with something other than a single-high safety read.

Was he a product of a great system? No, not entirely. The man is supremely gifted athletically. But is he Josh Freeman all over again? There are serious questions about that.

There are also serious character questions.

This from ESPN's Kevin Weidl:

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z1B1bb85Jv

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ggippo wrote:
Cam Newton is a much better passer than Tebow I see a lot of nitpicking bias here. The kid made a lot of good throws on the run and he made some good ones in the pocket too. No he isnt going to be able to make a living running as a quarterback but he can take it when the defense gives i too him and he moves well in the pocket and makes his progressions while on the move and while making time for himself and he can make every throw. Better than Tebow, way better than Vince Young. Just wait.

I agree Ggippo, these are the type of guys that keep their teams alive in games and at least give them a chance to win every week. I would rather have Tebow behind center than a one-dimensional Henne.
Are Tebow and Newton comparable to the top shelf passers (Brady, Manning, Rivers, Rodgers)??? absolutely not. But there are only a handful of those. If my team doesnt have one of those types, then I want a guy who can beat you with his legs when there is nobody open to throw too. Especially near the end zone where he can just tuck it and run for 6. I believe a guy like that would have got us to the playoffs this year.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

Here is the truth about Cam Newton. Barring an electrifying spring in which he simply blows at least one personnel man with full say over his organization and a draft pick before the 14th overall selection, Newton will be there when the Dolphins select in April's first round.

And if Jeff Ireland learned anything from mentor Bill Parcells, he probably will not select Newton. But, but, but why you cry aloud?

Because Newton doesn't fit the profile. He's played one season. That's a red flag or it should be. He's been all about the spread option formation and NFL quarterbacks have to be under center. There will be questions about Newton's footwork because of that system he played under, questions as fundamental as, "Can this guy operate under center?"

There are also questions about whether Newton can read defenses. He didn't do very well in the one or two games he was presented with something other than a single-high safety read.

Was he a product of a great system? No, not entirely. The man is supremely gifted athletically. But is he Josh Freeman all over again? There are serious questions about that.

There are also serious character questions.

This from ESPN's Kevin Weidl:

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z1B1bb85Jv

Sounds like Cam alright.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2