View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 What about Hasselbeck? 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post What about Hasselbeck?
I thought I heard he might be out of Seattle next year and he is doing well against NO. We wanted him when he was leaving GB. I am just not sold on Orton and want a vet as insurance if we draft a first round QB.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: What about Hasselbeck?
He hasn't really had a good season since 2007 but would certainly bring some leadership and potential to drive the offense for a year or two.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Yea, we could call it the Trent Green Experience 'part deux'. No thanks.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:31 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

no more retreads please!

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:25 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

retread or no, i still think he is a better option than Orton.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If we bring in Hasselbeck to compete with Henne then I'm fine with that. Of course I would like to see us take another quarterback in the draft to compete with those two if that happens, maybe Mallett or Gabbert if they are there in the 1st round. A three way quarterback battle between Henne, Hasselbeck, and a rookie would intrigue me. It might be the kind of jump in competition it takes to figure out our quarterback problems.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:09 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I think Hasselbeck would be a great QB to bring in and compete.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:20 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

hallphin wrote:

Crazy talk.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:05 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
I think Hasselbeck would be a great QB to bring in and compete.

4 years ago maybe.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:30 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

hallphin wrote:

True dat...Orton sucks.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:31 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Orton is far better imo... Hasselbeck can't even stay on the field... we already have an ancient vet who can't stay on the field.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
Orton is far better imo... Hasselbeck can't even stay on the field... we already have an ancient vet who can't stay on the field.

I'd rather have an ancient vet with something to add intellectually to the offense than a guy who's only success was in Denver's spread offense and prior to that was worse than Grossman in Chicago.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:22 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

He wont be an option. Hasselbeck is going to retier on top after he wins the super bowl!!! Wooo go seahawks... I hate football and looking foreword to the draft already

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfan109 wrote:
I hate football and looking foreword to the draft already

You hate football, but enjoy the draft.

Ok.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:04 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

No no no, I hate looking foreword to the draft ALREADY. I wish I could enjoy some dolphins football some more before thinking about it. That's all im saying.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:06 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I would rather pick up Hasselbeck as a FA to be caretaker while we develop a rookie and give Henne competition. The piece we have to remember is that Orton comes with a high price tag in terms of draft compensation. He may also cost more cash than we could get Hasselbeck for.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:17 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Phin wrote:

LOL. Green is exactly who is was thinking of when I saw this thread.

Hasselbeck won't be cheap, and he won't come over here competing for the starting job. The guy's been in the league for like 12 years. Why would we think he's willing to audition for the role? And if he wants to win a ring, he won't be moving cross-country to play for our team. We're at least two years away, and that's if we make a few excellent personnel decisions.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hasselbeck is nearing the end of his career and gets hurt way to much. I like the guy alot, but for Miami to sign him and have Henne (assuming he is) as the back up puts way too much risk to have him get hurt and we are back to square one.

Kyle Orton is younger and someone more worth going after IMO and getting the "right" QB right now may have a higher price tag and you pay it to win, if he is the best option. If there is a free agent, like possibly VY, you go after him and if you dont want to risk Young going straight into free agency, I would say trade a 5th round pick or so for him and lock him down from Tennessee as that is also an option vs waiting for him to get released and the idea is that alot of other NFL teams need a starting QB, so if the risk in the trade offer is low, why not consider it? I assure you someone will snatch him up and getting an athlete like that at QB certainly should be looked at closely. Head case or not.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Iowafin wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

I'd rather have an ancient vet with something to add intellectually to the offense than a guy who's only success was in Denver's spread offense and prior to that was worse than Grossman in Chicago.

Lay off the ether. Orton's last rating in Chicago was 80. Grossman's highest in Chicago was 74.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Lay off the ether. Orton's last rating in Chicago was 80. Grossman's highest in Chicago was 74.

You want to get picky, Orton's rating was 79.6. Since when did rating decide whether a quarterback was good or not? A guy can throw an incomplete pass every down the entire game, and end up with a better rating than someone that throws a TD but gets sacked twice.

Regardless, if you compare their ratings, Grossman had 1 16 game season (which took them to a Super Bowl, mind you) and had a rating of 73.9. Orton's lone "full season" was 15 games and had a 79.6 rating.

So was he worse? No, I stand corrected on that. He wasn't much better.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:55 pm
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Iowafin wrote:
finfan109 wrote:
I hate football and looking foreword to the draft already

You hate football, but enjoy the draft.

Ok.

More people watch the NFL draft than the NBA playoffs.

Plus, I think he just means he's fed up with football this season.

LOL at least that's what I think he means

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:02 pm
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

Hang 10 wrote:
Phin wrote:

LOL. Green is exactly who is was thinking of when I saw this thread.

Hasselbeck won't be cheap, and he won't come over here competing for the starting job. The guy's been in the league for like 12 years. Why would we think he's willing to audition for the role? And if he wants to win a ring, he won't be moving cross-country to play for our team. We're at least two years away, and that's if we make a few excellent personnel decisions.

I agree with you....... and further, If he wants to win a ring, as you say, why would he join an AFC east team that has to compete with the Patriots?
Did you see the Saints game last week? My god that was a piece of cake for Seattle. I haven't seen a worse defense fielded since the Dolphin/Jags playoff fiasco. So I think he'll choose to stay in his division unless he's offered good money.
Anyone who wants a ring either stays out of the AFC east or if you have to just join the Patriots.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:04 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Boooooo Hasselbeck is always hurt and plays just well enough not to lose his job no better no worse(he's the Channing Crowder of QB's) plus he's old...

“We all stink. We're 0-6, everybody stinks. We’ve all, in some way, shape or form have not been good enough I don’t care if it’s the front-desk secretary — she ain’t doing a good enough job.”-Reggie Bush

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:16 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

It may be a moot point, as Pete Carroll said they would like to keep Hassleback, and I am sure Matt would like to end his career with the team he help take to a Super Bowl.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:51 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

One thing that is severely overlooked in the Hasselbeck situation.... HIS REcORD AGAINST THE AFC is HORRENDOUS!!!!!!! I repeat, he has done jack sht against any AFC team he has ever played, with or without Holmgren at the helm. While I like his savy, I like his management and leadership skills.... he's been an NFC product for years, and knows that league. That being said, its a different world in the AFC entirely, and his experience against such has been limited to 45 games total.... which he has only won about a third of. I dont like this idea whatsoever.

Hasselbeck vs Brady twice a year. Hasselbeck vs the Jets/Ravens D twice a year. Drawing the Ravens of Steelers every other year. Hasselbeck vs Manning? yea these matchups are bad, and he wouldnt get us over the hump whatsoever. Leave him in the NFC, let him go to the Redskins. I would rather Donovan over Hasselbeck.... and even that is a far reach.

Please stop with the Orton talk everyone. He is a schmuck. Good passing yards only happen for him when he's down 10+ points early in the game. He's Trent Edwards reincarnate. Plays on a bad team, and gets good stats because they are already out of the game. Eddie Royal is faster than any dolphin on the roster, and Brandon Llyod is a stud. The Broncos on a whole actually might have a better receiving corps than Miami and yet Orton only won what? 4 games. NO THANK YOU. please get off his sack, it still smells like a hibernating bear. Let him rot in the AFC West please

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Please stop with the Orton talk everyone. He is a schmuck. Good passing yards only happen for him when he's down 10+ points early in the game. He's Trent Edwards reincarnate. Plays on a bad team, and gets good stats because they are already out of the game. Eddie Royal is faster than any dolphin on the roster, and Brandon Llyod is a stud. The Broncos on a whole actually might have a better receiving corps than Miami and yet Orton only won what? 4 games. NO THANK YOU. please get off his sack, it still smells like a hibernating bear. Let him rot in the AFC West please

So if someone has an opinion that is different than yours you think to make your point you need to make a debilitating sexual reference?

Do you think that may be kind of ... lame?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:44 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I watched the Seahawks game and was surprised by the touch that Hasslebeck had on the ball. He's been a West Coast style of quarterback, but his receivers had NO separation and he was putting the ball where only they had a chance to catch it. I think he is someone to seriously consider if we can put an OL together to block for him. One positive is that the OL in Seattle is just as horrid as our OL, but they do not have Jake Long.

Peter King's thoughts on Hasslebeck.

Peter King (Things I Think) wrote:
Matt Hasselbeck's touch. If he played like he played last week every week, he'd be Marino. Didn't have as many guys open Sunday in Chicago as he did last week either.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... ffs/4.html

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:42 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Have no problems with Hasselbeck. However, he is not ready for a backup role & will be better than Henne right now. This all falls in the lap of Henne's future. If the coaches believe Henne cannot achieve quality QB status then bring in Hasselbeck.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:35 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Peter King's an idiot.

That said, Matt Hasselbeck was good...his prime is past him. With a good team can he be good? Sure, but that doesn't mean he will.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]