View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Does anyone remember this game?? 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Does anyone remember this game??
1981 season. October 25th Miami vs Dallas (@Dallas) Probably the WORST regular season loss in Dolphins history.

I was 16 years old and remember either watching the NY Jets or Giants game because I lived in NY and only the local games were televised and I remember being all interested getting the periodic updates of the Miami vs Dallas game.

In the fourth quarter with 1:31 left and an NBC sports break just interupted to say that Miami had won the game and showed them 6-1-1 in the standings, when minutes later they broke off the existing broadcast to go to the Dallas game and all the Cowboy players were jumping around in the endzone on Ron Springs, who had just scored and they were kicking the extra point to win the game at 28-27 with basically no time on the clock.

THAT was an amazing loss and a heart breaker back in that day!! David Woodley threw for 408 yards that game and Danny White for 354, which was quite an aerial show. Unfortunately, if my fading memory serves me correct and I could be wrong, but Woodley threw a horrible interception at the end of the game and then I believe Dallas recovered an onside kick both leading to very quick scores with 1:31 left.

This was the same year that Miami lost that classic game against the Chargers 41-38 (1982 Jan Playoff game)

Anyone remember this????

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:19 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Does anyone remember this game??
Gee, guess not! Does that just make me that old in this forum??

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:46 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Did they have helmets back then Finhead?

...haha. Unfortunately I remember it well. My dad and I had our traditional bet on the Dolphins - Cowboys. I walked in the other room, heard him yelling ran back in and the Cowboys had just scored (when I left to make a sandwich Dallas had the ball on their side of the field). I went back in to finish the sandwich and heard him yell again. I got back in just in time to see Dallas lob a first down 50 some odd bomb to win the game. Ironically the guy Woodley picked on started the game as a goat. He finished with 2 INTs and was the hero.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:08 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Fortunately, I am not old enough to remember that one. There have been too many others.

The ones that always sting to me are the 85 AFC championship game against NE. No one will ever convince me that Marino would not have bombed out the Bears in the Super Dome for the title!

The 1994 divisional game against the Chargers. Another great shot at a Super Bowl blown.

That friggin disaster game against the jests on MNF that I still refuse to say anything else about.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:57 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

The 62-7 loss to the Jags in the playoffs. Marino & JJ not even being able to look at each other.
What a way for Marino to go out.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:14 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I remember that game. We missed an extra point early in the game and I knew it was going to come back and haunt us (as they usually do). Miami seems to be on the loosing end of too many of these "great" games.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]