View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The 5 worst trades of the 2010 NFL season 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post The 5 worst trades of the 2010 NFL season
Quote:
The 5 worst trades of the 2010 NFL season
December 29, 2010
by Eric Schmidt

#5- Brandon Marshall, Denver Broncos to the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins surrendered two second round picks for the talented wide receiver. A second rounder in 2010 and one in 2011. Marshall was supposed to be the answer to the stagnant passing attack of the Dolphins. Turns out the problems weren’t the receivers, but QB Chad Henne who struggled all season to get a vertical passing game going. Marshall is a beast, but that was a steep price to pay for a player who wasn’t used to his potential in 2010.

#4-Marshawn Lynch, Buffalo Bills to the Seattle Seahawks. Lynch was moved before the trade deadline in exchange for a 4th round pick in 2011 and a conditional pick in 2012. Lynch was expected to jumpstart the Seattle running game. The former 1,000 yard runner never cracked a hundred yards in a game for the Seahawks and didn’t bring the desired effect to the Seahawks fans thought he would.

#3 Charlie Whitehurst, San Diego Chargers to Seattle Seahawks. Seattle makes the list twice. Seahawks first year head coach Pete Carroll moved aggressively to obtain Charlie Whitehurst from the San Diego Chargers as one of his first orders of business. Carroll must have liked something about Whitehurst after swapping second round picks in 2010 and sending a third round selection in 2011 to the Chargers for the quarterback which had never played in a regular season game. Whitehurst has seen limited action this season but he doesn’t appear to be the quarterback of the future that the Seahawks had hoped for.

#2 Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles to the Washington Redskins. Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan traded a second round pick in 2010 and a fourth round pick in 2011 to the Eagles for the 12 year veteran quarterback. McNabb struggled in Shanhan’s offense and it appears the costly trade will amount to nothing more than a one year rental of McNabb.

#1 Randy Moss, Minnesota Vikings to the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings sent a third round selection in 2011 to the New England Patriots for veteran wide receiver Randy Moss. Then head coach Brad Childress had pushed all his chips in on Brett Favre’s return in 2010 which failed miserably and he had to find a receiver which could become a deep threat with Sidney Rice recovering from a hip injury. Moss last just a month with the Vikings before being released, making him a costly rental for the Vikings. Childress was subsequently fired.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... on/3870351

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: The 5 worst trades of the 2010 NFL season
still wasnt a bad trade at all.
Not Marshall's fault his QB and coordinater stink.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:09 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I beg to differ as well... If you are just looking at 1st year stats with a new team, maybe. But overall there is alot of football to be played, Marshall is in Miami til 2015 unless traded.

I think its a solid trade... We dont have to go out looking for a big time WR now, we can focus on healthy o-linemen, a QB, maybe a RB & TE....

Not too mention Miami's record is ugly, and Marshall didnt have a pro bowl year. But when he combines with a undrafted FA & a extremely questionable QB to break records set by legends, you have to see a definite improvement in Miami's passing game..

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

That is probably the only 5 trades made in the NFL this year. The only other one I can think of worth bringing up is the LenDale to Seattle trade.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:07 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
That is probably the only 5 trades made in the NFL this year. The only other one I can think of worth bringing up is the LenDale to Seattle trade.

I was thinking the same thing, Scot. I think the other trade was Deion Branch which I had thought that Belichick had gotten raped over ... but they did even better with Branch than with Moss. In fact, that offense is now pretty much unstoppable.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Brady Quinn for Peyton Hillis??

Look I know Marshall probably struggled because of the play calling & QB play. Still he did not create the kind of impact I thought he would. Yes still alot of time on his deal but another year like this & his oral antics will get him run out of here.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:31 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

81 catches for 917 yards in 13 games is pretty darn good in my book. The most surprising stat to me was only hitting the endzone 3 times.

His Yards per Catch did go up from last year though.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:36 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

FINesse wrote:

Easily the most lopsided trade of the offseason.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Easily the most lopsided trade of the offseason.

Yep, the Broncos got hosed on that one for sure. The talk radio guys in Denver still haven't let that one go. It's heavily brought up to this day.

As for the article calling Marshall a bad trade, thats a no in my book. He's a possession receiver, possession receivers are all about catches and yards. He'll likely eclipse 1,000 yards for the season this week and he'll likely wind up with around 90 catches for the year. Couple that with the fact that if he was healthy all year long he likely would have had 100+ catches and 1,100 yards on the season. That's solid numbers, and it's much better than anyone we've had on this team in a while. I expect the chemistry between Henne and Marshall to get better next year and before you know it Marshall will be back to putting up beastly numbers.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:31 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I completely disagree with calling the Marshall trade bad. The pick they gave up in the second round was for Sergio Kindle, a player who tragically may never end up playing football. They also up a second in this years draft.

I much prefer the age old logic of one in the hand is worth two in the bush! Brandon Marshall is an elite WR in this league and that has been proven. Trading two second round picks for that is well worth it. At best only one of those second round picks is going to develop for Denver.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:21 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I have to agree with everyone else that its not a bad trade. I find it kinda hard to blame the reciever for the QB not getting him the ball on a consistant basis (or anyone else for that matter).

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:45 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Well, BM is 83 yds away from 1,000 and 10 catches away from setting the all time Dolphins record for receptions, which makes it a darn good trade for this anemic offense

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:31 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

padre31 wrote:
Well, BM is 83 yds away from 1,000 and 10 catches away from setting the all time Dolphins record for receptions, which makes it a darn good trade for this anemic offense

Yeah, when you consider the fact that Marshall has a chance to break a Dolphin record in only his first season, and he missed a couple of games. Wow this guy is good. I just hope we get better on offense and find ways to get this guy more involved so that we can see his true potential. If we make a few changes to our offense I don't think there is any reason why he can't have 100+ catches and 1,200+ yards next season.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:25 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Peyton Hillis and LaGarrett Blount were probably the two worst moves this year.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:17 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:

Give Mangini credit for that. He's the one that had to have him. He's a jerk as all those from the Belichick coaching tree are, but I think he'd do a good job of coaching with better talent.

IamPZ wrote:
81 catches for 917 yards in 13 games is pretty darn good in my book. The most surprising stat to me was only hitting the endzone 3 times.

I'm happy with him. I think he gave his best on the field. I blame the lack of touchdowns on the "Henn" brothers.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]