View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Reasons to watch Miami Dolphins 2010 season finale on Sunday 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Reasons to watch Miami Dolphins 2010 season finale on Sunday
Quote:
The list is in no particular order:

1. Brandon Marshall's shot at the franchise single-season receptions record. With just 83 receiving yards on Sunday, Marshall can top the 1,000 yard mark for the fourth consecutive year - a feat not achieved very often. Perhaps more importantly, Marshall is just nine receptions away from the Dolphins' team record for receptions in a season. O.J. McDuffie had 90 in 1998. So a 10 catch, 100 yard performance on Sunday for Marshall would help him achieve those two milestones. And this is despite missing 2 and a half games with a hamstring injury.

2. Chad Henne's interesting potential accomplishment. Despite all of the negativity surrounding Henne recently, the young quarterback has a chance to pass Chad Pennington and have the most passing yards in a season by any Dolphins quarterback not named Dan Marino. Marino has the top ten spots on the most passing yards in a season list. Pennington is 11th, with his 3,653 yard performance in '08. Henne would need 423 yards against the Patriots on Sunday - which would indeed be a career high. But hey - crazier things have happened.

Star-divide

3. Sparano's last stand. In light of the recent report from the NFL Network's Michael Lombardi, perhaps this isn't true. But still, Tony Sparano's seat is still hot. And even if Bill Parcells has contacted Stephen Ross to help save Sparano's job (as the report claims), you have to figure even a vote of confidence from Parcells won't save Tony if his team shows any sign of having quit already on Sparano this week.

4. Wake as the 2010 sack master. Cameron Wake, already headed to his first Pro Bowl, leads the league with 14 sacks. He's one up on John Abraham and 1.5 up on Clay Matthews, DeMarcus Ware, and Jason Babin. He's gone cold these past two games - going without a sack in back-to-back games for the first time this season. But he can still win the sack crown - and can even make the top five in franchise history if he can pick up two sacks on Sunday, which would tie Wake with Doug Betters and his 16 sack performance back in 1983.

5. Incognito making a case. We all already know that re-signing nose tackle Paul Soliai is probably priority number one this offseason when it comes to retaining their own guys. But Richie Incognito is also a free agent after the year. He's been average (at the very least) as the team's left guard - but played very well last week when he got the start at center. There was a noticeable difference in Miami's ability to run the football last week when Incognito was at center compared to when Joe Berger was in there. Richie will now have a shot to prove his performance last week wasn't a fluke when he goes against massive NT Vince Wilfork. The suddenly well behaved lineman has a chance to earn some decent money with a solid performance.

6. A shot at punting history. Last year Brandon Fields fell just short of breaking John Kidd's single-season record of 46.295 gross yards per punt. Fields is very close once again. If, for example, Fields was to punt five times and average 51 gross yards per punt, he would break Kidd's record. That's right, folks - I'm talking about punting. That's what this all has come to as we close out the season.

7. It's our team in the field one final time - for who knows how long. As much as this team frustrates us all, we are all still Miami Dolphins fans. This is our team. We only get 16 of these games a year. After Sunday, we will have to wait nine long months before seeing our beloved, yet consistently frustrating, team on the field for a meaningful game - and that's at the very least. Remember, there is some looming labor trouble in the NFL. I wouldn't anticipate a prolonged work stoppage - but you never know. Forget about wins and losses for just one day and enjoy the game for what it is - a game.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/12/30/1903569/reasons-to-watch-miami-dolphins-2010-season-finale-on-sunday

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Reasons to watch Miami Dolphins 2010 season finale on Sunday
I know I'll be watching. Even tho I hate to see Henne getting another start!

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:22 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Im gonna watch because its a Dolphin game but I think in about 2 years from now we are gonna hate to see Brandon Marshalls name on any Dolphin record.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henne will finish with around 3,500 yards on the season, Marshall will break the record and eclipse 1,000 yards, and we'll win a close one. Sparano will keep his job, we'll hire a new offensive coordinator this offseason, and optimism will spring forward after an offense heavy draft and free agency. Bottom line, we'll all be waching again next year and the team will get better. Good enough to make the playoffs, we'll have to wait and see?

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:58 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I will watch the game anyway, I always do. I even kept watching during the disaster of 2007. I just hope we don't have to watch another Pats celebration where they rub our nose in it with some cute or tricky plays....like the Flutie field goal, or the snow plow....

I figure we get blown out early by the starters and make a game of it in scrub time....but still finish 7-9, which is not improvement in my book.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:26 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I can't wait to watch and post on Sunday night on how good the Pats 2nd and 3rd stringers beat our 1st stringers....STOKED. I'll enjoy the beautiful weather in Bradenton this Sunday and watch the game at night in an hour.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

7. It's our team in the field one final time - for who knows how long. As much as this team frustrates us all, we are all still Miami Dolphins fans. This is our team. We only get 16 of these games a year. After Sunday, we will have to wait nine long months before seeing our beloved, yet consistently frustrating, team on the field for a meaningful game - and that's at the very least. Remember, there is some looming labor trouble in the NFL. I wouldn't anticipate a prolonged work stoppage - but you never know. Forget about wins and losses for just one day and enjoy the game for what it is - a game.

This is what it is all about.

I have been really paying attention to the Miami Dolphins since I was ten years old, so basically since 1975, I have been following the players, stats and remember the days even of calling the 976 sports lines that my dad would get on to me for because it cost money, but I would call that line to get updates or when watching the NBC game of the week, pay close attention to the bottom score ticker. I remember all the heart aches and victories and as frustrated as I am now as a fan, one day, we will see this team rise back up again and we will all have a greater appreciation!!

Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:01 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Sad to say, we will not see Richie as center Sun as we have no more Tackles on the team to replace Murtha. Should say it this way, we have no more guards to replace Richie. They can Put McQuistan at Tackle but who replaces Richie ? Berger? no way on earth. Feinga ? No, if he could play, he would have played last Sunday and they could have left Incognito at Center Jerry is having a rough time playing guard, I do not expect them to switch him to RT for the NE game. So, here it is
Sunday Lineup will be
LT Long
LG Incognito
C Berger
RG Jerry
RT McQuistan

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]