View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Steve Breaston would be a big upgrade for this team 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Steve Breaston would be a big upgrade for this team
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -breaston/

Cardinals haven’t shown interest in re-signing Breaston
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 29, 2010, 9:38 AM EST

The Cardinals may watch another one of their best young homegrown players walk away via free agency this offseason.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic passes along the surprising news that Arizona has shown “little interest” in re-signing receiver Steve Breaston to a new contract. The collective bargaining agreement doesn’t seem to be the issue here.

Somers says that the team either just doesn’t want to spend the money or has concerns about Breaston’s long term health. The fourth-year receiver tore his meniscus early in the season, and has played through pain much of the year. He saw his playing time limited against the Cowboys on Christmas.

Breaston put up over 1,700 yards combined between 2008-2009 as the team’s No. 3 receiver, and his 2010 production hasn’t fallen off much considering the team’s quarterback mess. He leads the team in yards-per-catch and has 692 yards. Somers believes letting Breaston walk could send a dangerous message to the rest of the team.

“No player worked harder to make himself relevant than did Breaston,” Somers wrote.
Breaston is going to get paid well whenever free agency starts. It’s looking more likely he won’t get paid by the Cardinals.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:47 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Steve Breaston would be a big upgrade for this team
If he is cheap, sure. He's crazy to think that he's going to ge a big payday with his health and being a #3 reciever. Big deal?!?

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

1. Breaston has the speed we're lacking.
2. He's a yards per catch machine.
3.Henne loved throwing to him at Michigan.
4. And he could get our return game back to respectability

he impacts 2 phases of the game, thats money well spent.
Our receiving core would be top 3 in the NFL

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Breaston is a good number three receiver, but I don't think we need a number three receiver. Brian Hartline is a number three receiver and he's more than capable of putting up the same kind of numbers that Breaston is. Personally, I think our receiver unit could benefit from a veteran. We're too young at the position and quality leadership would really help these younger guys out. Someone who nobody is talking about that I think would be a good fit is Santana Moss from the Washington Redskins. The guy is lightning fast and he's very productive. He was paid $4.3 this year and next year he is a free agent. I say we sign him to a 2-3 year deal and bring him back to Miami. Santana Moss is a legitimate number one target on most teams in this league so he'd really help boost our passing attack when coupled with Marshall. He's faster than Breaston, more talented than Breaston, and more productive than Breaston. That's the kind of guy I wouldn't mind investing some money in, not someone who benefits from having other great players around him. Rather someone who still is productive despite double teams and having lesser talent around him. You never know, maybe McNabb and Moss come to Miami next year? McNabb could do some damage with Marshall, Moss, and Bess.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:28 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Who is going to throw him the ball?

Henne over throws wide ope WR's 30 yards down field. Did it multiple times this year, had about 4 or 5 ease TD throws he couldn't connect with...

Breaston, sure he looks good. But he obviously isn't a game changer. I think his season as well as Fitz's shows WR mean nothing without a good QB

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:

Henne over throws wide ope WR's 30 yards down field. Did it multiple times this year, had about 4 or 5 ease TD throws he couldn't connect with...

Breaston, sure he looks good. But he obviously isn't a game changer. I think his season as well as Fitz's shows WR mean nothing without a good QB

Henne might do a better job for us when we bring in a new offensive coordinator. He's struggling to run our current system because it require a smart quarterback who can read defenses well. Thats just not Henne at this point in his career. You never know, a new offensive coordinator, a new running game, maybe Henne can turn the corner? Picking up another good weapon at the widereceiver position wouldn't hurt also. I personally like Santana Moss, I think he could really open things up for us. Marshall, Moss, and Bess would terrorize defenses and create more opportunities for our run game.

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:47 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Steve Breaston is a RESTRICTED FREE AGENT in 2011. He is not going anywhere.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:06 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

would much rather have Moss then Breaston....no questions asked....

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:38 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:

While overthrowing is a concern, would faster WR help that issue? Since we all know all of Miami Wr are not the fastest of foot.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:40 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

i would rather draft will blackmon.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:59 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

dolphan74 wrote:

Santana Moss ran one of the fastest 40 yard dash times in combine history at 4.31, the guy has the scary kind of speed that forces defenses to leave a safety high or risk getting beat deep. The combo of Marshall and Moss might force defenses to leave two safeties high which could open things up for our running game. I think it's a good for us.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:34 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
10acjed wrote:

While overthrowing is a concern, would faster WR help that issue? Since we all know all of Miami Wr are not the fastest of foot.

He under threw a couple too.... Its an accuracy issue, not a matter of a WR not being fast enough..

Henne has the ability to overthrow anyone.... A big gun is pointless if you cant hit anything with it...

Im not saying Henne can or cant or will or will not.. He just hasn't yet, and he has 2 of the best WR's in the league at their positions...

Anyone really think this is a WR issue still?

Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:40 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I like our receivers. The last thing we need is Randy Moss. He wont play for anyone except the Patriots.
It is much more than a OC problem , getting rid of ours while necessary does not solve the issues.
Its a QB driven league ... ours is adequate but you know where I am going with this.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:31 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Anyone really think this is a WR issue still?

It's everyone but the qb :)

I want Steve Smith...Perfect fit for us

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dolphan74 wrote:

why? Moss is old and cant catch.
Breaston is a playmaker

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rhoads30 wrote:
i would rather draft will blackmon.

do you mean Justin Blackmon of Oklahoma St.????

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
dolphan74 wrote:

Santana Moss ran one of the fastest 40 yard dash times in combine history at 4.31, the guy has the scary kind of speed that forces defenses to leave a safety high or risk getting beat deep. The combo of Marshall and Moss might force defenses to leave two safeties high which could open things up for our running game. I think it's a good for us.

that was also 10 years ago. get with the times. Moss hasnt had a great pro career

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
dolphan74 wrote:

that was also 10 years ago. get with the times. Moss hasnt had a great pro career

Santana Moss has better numbers than any one of our receivers currently on our roster. He's broken 1,000 receiving yards in two of his last three years including this one. He has six touchdowns this year, thats as many as Marshall and Bess have combined. What Moss are you talking about???
Santana Moss is a productive veteran receiver who would be a top receiver on half of the teams in this league. There hasn't been a receiver in Miami over the past decade that can top his career numbers. He's got good hands and at 31 he's still as fast as ever. He's a perfect fit for a team looking for a veteran receiver that can stretch the field vertically. He would complement Marshall and Bess perfectly in my opinion. Moss is the kind of weapon you want to bring in so that Henne or whoever our quarterback is will have a shot to put up solid numbers through the air.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Moss had 2 big years in his entire career and they were in '03 and ,05.
No thanks, i wanna get younger. Who wants to pay for a receiver in his final years in the NFL

Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Moss had 2 big years in his entire career and they were in '03 and ,05.
No thanks, i wanna get younger. Who wants to pay for a receiver in his final years in the NFL

Santana Moss broke 1,000 yards receiving four times in his career, how many Dolphins receivers have done that in the past ten years? Having talented young players is a good thing, having too many young players is a bad thing. You need a good balance of younger players and veteran players. Without the vets you're going to have problems. Moss is a vet with plenty of gas in the tank, he could play for another three or four years. I think he'd be a great pickup if we could get him to sign a two or three year deal. He'd be another big time target for Henne to work with next year.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]