View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Time To Hire Dan Marino And Listen This Time (IMO) 

Should Miami hire Dan Marino to find our next franchise quarterback?
Poll ended at Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:24 am
Yes 43%  43%  [ 9 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 21

Time To Hire Dan Marino And Listen This Time (IMO) 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Time To Hire Dan Marino And Listen This Time (IMO)
I've made it no secret that I think one of the keys to us solving our quarterback problem is to hire Marino to scout this year's draft. I'm one of those guys who frequently likes to recall the fact that Miami chose not to make a move to get Ben Roethlisberger even after Marino openly endorsed him. Two Super Bowls later is one heck of an I told you so!

So here is my take on quarterback, I think we need to hire Dan Marino again. You have Dan break down the quarterbacks in this years draft, and if he finds another kid that he feels is a franchise quarterback, then you do what is necessary to get him in the first round. If nobody is worthy or we cannot possibly make the trade happen for whatever reason, then you sign a veteran to come in and compete with Henne. Dan the Man is back on the hunt for a franchise quarterback in 2012. This process continues until either Marino finds us a franchise quarterback in the draft, Henne develops, or a veteran steps in and proves capable of taking us all the way.

What do you guys think, should the Dolphins try to convince Dan to look for another franchise quarterback, or am I just a complete homer who was mesmerized by one lucky guess by a Dolphin great?

Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:24 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Time To Hire Dan Marino And Listen This Time (IMO)
It was well established a long time ago that you are a complete homer.

What scouting experience does Marino have?

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:00 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Essentially Marino although a broadcaster has been out of the game a long while & to my knowledge has no scouting experience. I am also not sure he pays that much attention to the college game because of his broadcast job as well. So while Marino might be a sentimental hire at this point I dont think I want him picking the players , especially the QB.
Kinda all goes back to the saying "who is shopping for the groceries". With everyone so high on Gruden & Cowher I was wondering if anyone knows if they picked the players during their coaching tenure?

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:30 am

FINesse wrote:
With everyone so high on Gruden & Cowher I was wondering if anyone knows if they picked the players during their coaching tenure?

Not sure about Gruden, but Cowher didn't pick players.

It goes back to the separation of powers. You don't necessarily want your head coach also being your GM.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:31 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

wkloiber13 wrote:
What do you guys think, should the Dolphins try to convince Dan to look for another franchise quarterback, or am I just a complete homer who was mesmerized by one lucky guess by a Dolphin great?

That's a nice thought, wkloiber13, but I don't see the advantage of having him scout quarterbacks. It definitely is not a pure science.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:38 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Why not ask him to come in and work with Henne in the offseason?

Better yet, why doesn't Henne reach out to him for help in the offseason? I think he'd be far more effective in helping a young QB work on reading defenses and improving his pocket presence.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:01 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
Essentially Marino although a broadcaster has been out of the game a long while & to my knowledge has no scouting experience. I am also not sure he pays that much attention to the college game because of his broadcast job as well. So while Marino might be a sentimental hire at this point I dont think I want him picking the players , especially the QB.
Kinda all goes back to the saying "who is shopping for the groceries". With everyone so high on Gruden & Cowher I was wondering if anyone knows if they picked the players during their coaching tenure?

All good points.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:08 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:

Better yet, why doesn't Henne reach out to him for help in the offseason? I think he'd be far more effective in helping a young QB work on reading defenses and improving his pocket presence.

I don't know, just because he was a great player, doesn't mean he can coach. Some of the best coaches were mediorce players at best, or have never played the game. That is not an exclusive comment, but there is much truth to it. The point Im trying to make is that job performance as a player doesn't necessarily equate to job performance as a coach. Just a thought....

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
jammer wrote:

I don't know, just because he was a great player, doesn't mean he can coach. Some of the best coaches were mediorce players at best, or have never played the game. That is not an exclusive comment, but there is much truth to it. The point Im trying to make is that job performance as a player doesn't necessarily equate to job performance as a coach. Just a thought....

I wasn't even thinking coaching so much as just searching alternative avenues to help improve his game. Even small pointers could make a difference.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
Phin wrote:
jammer wrote:

I wasn't even thinking coaching so much as just searching alternative avenues to help improve his game. Even small pointers could make a difference.

Ok, gotcha

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:35 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It was well established a long time ago that you are a complete homer

It's his opinion. You just don't get it do you Rich? There is no need for a post like this.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Makchell wrote:
It was well established a long time ago that you are a complete homer

It's his opinion. You just don't get it do you Rich? There is no need for a post like this.

Did you read his post?

I was joking with him. IT WAS A JOKE! HAHA FUNNY.

A joke.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:52 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Did you read his post?

A joke.

He reported you so it wasn't a funny joke.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Did you read his post?

A joke.

He reported you so it wasn't a funny joke.

Do we have a bunch of cry babies on this board, or what?

People need to calm down.

There is no way that all of these people reporting on posts live in the real world if they are reporting the posts here. Are you made of sugar and these posts are your rain?

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Do we have a bunch of cry babies on this board, or what?

People need to calm down.

There is no way that all of these people reporting on posts live in the real world if they are reporting the posts here. Are you made of sugar and these posts are your rain?

I agree, I have thick skin but some don't. It just the same posters over and over again "bothering" people. I did nothing regarding the report above because it's not a big deal, but did Rich have to post that? It just starts crap. Homers are homers and bashers are bashers. Just live with each other, we root for the same team and have different opinions.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
It was well established a long time ago that you are a complete homer.

What scouting experience does Marino have?

You may be right about the homer thing Rich.
:grin:
As far as scouting experience, we've called upon Marino to do this job before and he wad dead right. That lets me know that he is capable of finding a quality franchise quarterback. Is he 100% all the time about quarterbacking talent, who knows. But he is capable, and if he takes it seriously, and I think he will, he likely will be able to repeat the job he did in 2004. Remember Roethlisberger wasn't the first guy off the board that year. He was the 11th pick and the 3rd quarterback off the board. Marino could have been all over Eli Manning or Phillip Rivers but he wasn't, he said to go after Ben Roethlisberger. To this day Roethlisberger has more rings that both of those two quarterbacks combined. I don't think it hurts to hire Marino again to look at all of these guys and give his 2 cents. Of course his input will be weighed and used along with that of the staff that is already there. He might not recommend one at all, it's possible all of these guys could be busts in his eyes. That doesn't mean we won't draft Jake Locker or Ryan Mallett if they are there when we pick. I'm just saying it doesn't hurt to explore all of our options when searching for the most important position on the field.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:52 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

WHy would the owners hire him and spend more money since they have a scouting dept and why would Marino leave an "easy" job on NFL countdown? I don't think it would happen.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:56 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
Homers are homers and bashers are bashers. Just live with each other, we root for the same team and have different opinions.

:awe: :awe: :awe:

Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:35 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I don't think Marino has a coaching personality. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but he has sort of a selfish almost arrogant attitude.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:29 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

It has been said already that great player =/= great coach some times. i would hate to see Marino come in, the media and public hype the snot out of it, and if something goes wrong people start calling for his head. He has his place in Dolphin history and we could leave it where it is.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:49 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

00xtremeninja wrote:
It has been said already that great player =/= great coach some times. i would hate to see Marino come in, the media and public hype the snot out of it, and if something goes wrong people start calling for his head. He has his place in Dolphin history and we could leave it where it is.

I agree 100%. I'd hate for the media to start in on him. And they would be brutal just because he is Dan Marino, if for no other reasons.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]