View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Miami Dolphins: Tony Sparano defends Dan Henning 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Miami Dolphins: Tony Sparano defends Dan Henning
Quote:

Asked to assess Henning’s performance this year in coordinating the league’s second-lowest scoring offense (17.1 points per game), Sparano didn’t hold back. Instead, he delivered a spirited defense of Henning that surely will send the majority of Dolfans running straight for another shot of holiday eggnog (spiked version).

“I think that Dan Henning for Tony Sparano has been tremendous,” Sparano said, playing the third-person card in a way I don’t think I’ve ever heard him do before. “I think that the guy has done a wonderful job here in my time here. Again, I look at the entire body of work. You guys just look at the last 3-4 games, whatever it is. I look at the whole body of work and this guy’s really done a tremendous job.
“You know, he’s the same guy we were all talking about: ‘Man, oh, man, he finds ways to use personnel to the best of their ability’ and ‘Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.’ OK, that was you people saying that, not me. So I would tell you that for Tony Sparano, Dan Henning has been tremendous. It’s easy to point blame, fellas, and I get it. It comes with the territory. That’s the way it goes. I need to do a better job. Tony Sparano needs to do a better job. ”

I also found it instructive that when our own Omar Kelly asked Sparano today if he could name a single particular area on offense that he’s been “pleased with” this year, the coach hemmed and hawed a bit and could not offer up one concrete facet that has been beyond reproach.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Miami Dolphins: Tony Sparano defends Dan Henning
AQNOR wrote:
Quote:

I also found it instructive that when our own Omar Kelly asked Sparano today if he could name a single particular area on offense that he’s been “pleased with” this year, the coach hemmed and hawed a bit and could not offer up one concrete facet that has been beyond reproach.

It isn't the fact that we have TEH WURST QB IN DA WURLD!!!!1111? It's multiple facets? There isn't one single redeeming factor that even a coach loyal to his players would admit was good or at least consistent? You mean he didn't say that we've been running the ball well in order to help the offense? Or that pass blocking has been so bad that Henne is basically forced to call for max protection a lot?

Man. I thought we had an offense whose only downfall was Chad Henne and that if only we had some other QB we'd be great.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

And Tony can keep defending Henning all he wants after they are both unemployed.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:45 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AMEN!!!!!

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
Man. I thought we had an offense whose only downfall was Chad Henne and that if only we had some other QB we'd be great.

You keep bringing this straw man argument up, but I don't see one poster on this forum who legitimately believes we are set at O-Line and RB.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I may be wrong, but hasn't every time Henning has defended someone, they were immediately fired?

Pasqualoni, Wilford, Ted Ginn, etc? I'm just going off memory, and we know how reliable that is.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:
And Tony can keep defending Henning all he wants after they are both unemployed.

I don't think that Sparano is fired unless a guy like Cowher says specifically to Ross in a meeting that he will absolutely take the job. I don't see him being fired unless the replacement is already lined up.

And I'm convinced that what he says in public does not reflect what he says to his team and his coaches in private. He seems to absolutely be a "don't air your dirty laundry in public" kind of coach.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:
I may be wrong, but hasn't every time Henning has defended someone, they were immediately fired?

Pasqualoni, Wilford, Ted Ginn, etc? I'm just going off memory, and we know how reliable that is.

"Every time SPARANO"...not Henning

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:40 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

"Every time SPARANO"...not Henning

The dreaded vote of confidence

Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:52 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Iowafin wrote:

Don't forget Gibril Wilson!!

This regime knows to keep team matters with the team, and they know how to cut their losses when they have made mistakes.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sparano's contract is up after this season I believe, and Henning "The Last Dinosaur" will likely retire. Sparano needs to worry about trying to win the rest of these games this year if he wants to keep his job. With Bill Cowher publicly announcing he'd like to coach the Dolphins he will need all the sticking points he's got if he wants a job with us next year. It may be possible that Ross replaces Tony Sparano with someone like Bill Cowher or John Gruden. If Sparano goes he will likely follow whatever project Parcells is cooking up next. Ross didn't hire the Trifecta, he inherited it. 8-8 with a losing record at home is exactly the kind of record that gets a regime fired. We'll just have to wait and see what happens after the season is over. Ross wants to bring flash to Miami so it won't surprise me if he shakes things up and tries to hire a Super Bowl winning coach. I just hope we don't lose Mike Nolan in the deal, he's the best coach we've got in my opinion.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Sparano's contract is up after this season I believe, and Henning "The Last Dinosaur" will likely retire. Sparano needs to worry about trying to win the rest of these games this year if he wants to keep his job. With Bill Cowher publicly announcing he'd like to coach the Dolphins he will need all the sticking points he's got if he wants a job with us next year. It may be possible that Ross replaces Tony Sparano with someone like Bill Cowher or John Gruden. If Sparano goes he will likely follow whatever project Parcells is cooking up next. Ross didn't hire the Trifecta, he inherited it. 8-8 with a losing record at home is exactly the kind of record that gets a regime fired. We'll just have to wait and see what happens after the season is over. Ross wants to bring flash to Miami so it won't surprise me if he shakes things up and tries to hire a Super Bowl winning coach. I just hope we don't lose Mike Nolan in the deal, he's the best coach we've got in my opinion.

Sparano has a 4 year contract (until after 2011 season).

Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

eleaf wrote:
Don't forget Gibril Wilson!!

This regime knows to keep team matters with the team, and they know how to cut their losses when they have made mistakes.

Who can ever forget The Gerbil .....

Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]