View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Draft Ryan Mallett 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Draft Ryan Mallett
I am far from a Henne basher. But it is high time that we start using our first round pick on bringing in a great signal caller. I have seen a lot of this guy in college and he is big, strong armed, runs decent, and is a winner. I have seen this guy will his team back to a victory. Here is the thing either a couple of things happen. Henne responds to the challenge raises his game like Drew Brees when Phillip Rivers came in and becomes a great QB or Mallett takes over and becomes the guy! But either way you have solidified the most important position on your team. I don't think we have spent a first round pick on a QB since Marino. It is time to change that. Scouts Inc has Mallett rated the #16 prospect which should be close to where we are drafting. Lets grow some stones and take him.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:14 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Draft Ryan Mallett
Some folks share your opinion that Miami should look at Ryan Mallet. I don't know much about the guy other than he has a big arm, some good stats and is in a pro style offense. All good things. On the negative I've read some analysts say he has head issues.

Maybe he is an option. My concern is that several teams drafting ahead of Miami have QB issues. They are already without a 2nd round pick so trading up to get him gives them even less to work with in the draft. Remember they have o-line issues, running back issues, a need at tight end, and possibly someone to challenge for jobs at safety and inside linebacker.

If he is there when they pick and is the best player available I'm all for it.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:23 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Let me know if the link doesn't open to the article.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft201 ... ftbuzz1217

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I would like to know if Mallet has the ability to put in the film time. In college you can get away with being just physically better, in the NFL you need to be smarter also.

From what I've read & heard about Mallet is he is not dedicated to prep time in the film room.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
Some folks share your opinion that Miami should look at Ryan Mallet. I don't know much about the guy other than he has a big arm, some good stats and is in a pro style offense. All good things. On the negative I've read some analysts say he has head issues.

Maybe he is an option. My concern is that several teams drafting ahead of Miami have QB issues. They are already without a 2nd round pick so trading up to get him gives them even less to work with in the draft. Remember they have o-line issues, running back issues, a need at tight end, and possibly someone to challenge for jobs at safety and inside linebacker.

If he is there when they pick and is the best player available I'm all for it.

that's the problem where we stand right now. None of these elite QB prospects are getting out of the top 8 because Carolina, san fran., Cincy, Buff., Ariz. , Wash. and Minnesota all need QB's.
so that's why it sucks to be us. It's better to be really good or really lousy in the NFL.
Being avarage doesnt get you very far in the draft, especially when you need a quarterback.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:03 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Not a huge fan of his.

Big time arm, big body, a leader on the field....love all that. But his decision making, not only as far as making bad decisions, but the inability to make quick decisions scares me. His accuracy is also erratic, (although it has improved from last season).

Also, there are rumors that the guy is, (not to be a jerk), just plain dumb. Might get in the single digits on the wonderlic. Doesn't have the mental ability to be a NFL QB.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:56 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm not to "up" on the draft class so I won't comment on names. All I know is a QB should be #1 on our list.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Pat Devlin is a pretty good prospect. he left Penn State to play at Delaware.
He has all the tools apparently.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:55 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This kid is a horse, if he's there when we pick we would have to be crazy not to take him. People say Mallett has issues because he left Michigan to go play at Arkansas. The reason he left was because he was going to be Henne's backup another year and Michigan switched to a spread offense. Rich Rod likes mobile quarterbacks that can run almost as many times as the runningbacks. Why would a giant pocket passer like Mallett want to play in that offense? Going to Arkansas was the best thing this kid ever did. He's got all the tools you want in a kid coming out of college, including the ones you can't teach. He's got great size, he's not injury prone, and he's got a cannon for an arm. Also, he's accurate as heck too! This guy if he winds up on a good team, he could really be something. Kind of like when Big Ben wound up on the Steelers.
Personally, I like this guy if he's available. Locker is another guy I like, but I think there is more of a learning curve with a guy like Locker. Honestly, I think Mallett will be off the board when we pick, he likely will go to the Vikings. They need a quarterback badly and they've already got a quarterback friendly offense with Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice, and Percy Harvin.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]